Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
kingslotty

kennymule

10-06-2013 13:02:00 | More by kennymule
tomordonez

1.45/5  rDev -65.5%

Over carbonated. I took the cap off and heard a noisy champagne-like blop. The head is a big all-over-the-place cloud. Smells like a cigar butt that has been floating in a beer. It has other strong flowery aroma but not a good one. Flavor is very bitter with a really dry aftertaste. I got my first review straight from a Belgian store shipped from Belgium. I got my 2nd one from a local liquor store in Miami. The bottle is awesome but there is something wrong with this beer.

06-15-2014 02:19:35 | More by tomordonez
desint

1.5/5  rDev -64.3%

05-24-2013 11:13:19 | More by desint
Aress

1.68/5  rDev -60%

I was highly anticipating trying Orval after having tried all the other Trappists (except Westvleterten) and thoroughly enjoying them. The appearance was nice and the foamy thick head looked like laundry detergent. The smell, however, was quite off-putting.
I'm all for unique beers but the smell reminded me of walking into a doctor's office. There was a faint smell of grapefruit but I mostly smelled what others have noted - hay, horse blanket, medicinal, and as one other reviewer noted, "stale urine.". These are not exactly welcoming smells. Just because something has an identifiable smell (like horse blanket) does not mean its pleasurable. The taste was extremely sour and tart, astringent even, and was very dry. This was not a drinkable beer for me. I'm wondering if the high scores on BA are attributable to the reputation and history of Orval. I appreciate good beer, and maybe my palate is just not as evolved as others for a beer like this, but I can't put Orval in the same class as Rochefort or Chimay.

02-06-2011 22:59:57 | More by Aress
Stingray5

1.73/5  rDev -58.8%

11.2oz pours cloudy light brown with a big foamy tan head. Mix of banana and stale urine in the aroma. I don't even want to drink it, but I will. High carbonation and creaminess in the mouthful, taste is similar to the aroma, with some spices and noticible alcohol. Some stale sourness. Very rough. Is it possible I got a bad bottle? Are my tastebuds off tonight? I haven't read any other reviews of this yet - if I'm way off from others then perhaps I've got a dud on my hands. Either that or this REALLY isn't my thing.

01-14-2005 03:45:05 | More by Stingray5
ZenAgnostic

1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

EDIT: Original score was 4.5 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 3

Appearance - Big beautiful offwhite head with good retention. Foggy light amber brown body.

Smell - Fishy. Possibly a bad bottle? I don't know what to expect.

Taste - Sour and dry. Reminds me of a gueuze.

Mouthfeel - Okay on its own, but when combined with the taste just makes it a bit icky.

Overall - My least favorite Trappist so far. I suspect I may have gotten a bad bottle, so I'll have to give it a retry in the future.

EDIT: As promised, I gave this beer a second chance about half a year after the first review. Bottle was stamped 7/10/2010 and 7/10/2015 (I'm assuming those are the born on and drink by dates, respectively). The second time the beer was even worse, I scored it 4 / 4 / 1 / 1 / 1. The horrific fish and soy sauce characters once again return. Perhaps it's just the Texas distributor that's at fault. I'll try again in a different state. One last shot.

04-20-2011 18:12:59 | More by ZenAgnostic
ErwinGS

1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

11-24-2012 14:57:54 | More by ErwinGS
boelker62

1.8/5  rDev -57.1%

I was extremely excited at getting my hands on a couple of botles. It all ended there. Pours a craggy, rocky head that simplifies to frothy after it dissipates a bit. Then, I smell some odd combination of soap and apple. "Damn, I hope it doesn't aste like this..." I thought. It did. I didn't finish it.

It was considerably hazy, and maybe I didn't decant it well enough, or it was bad. I'll try another later on and update, if need be...

12-20-2007 14:04:09 | More by boelker62
John_Henry

Japan

1.81/5  rDev -56.9%

A: Looks pretty good, as one would expect. Enormous amount of head, leaving good lacing. The head is so big it is actually too much.

S: The first thing that hits, and unfortunately a little off-putting. I racked my mind for a few minutes as it reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Best way I can describe it is Parma ham.

T: Pretty horrific. Lite, dry to the point of sourness. Quite bitter, but overall really rather unpleasant. Awfully disappointing.

M: Seems pretty good, but the taste is so unpleasent that it overpowers, what would potentially be a great mouth feel. I really can't even begin to process whats going o in my mouth.

O: I assumed I had a bad bottle until reading some of the other reviews. I still find it hard to believe that this isn't a bad bottle, and this is how this highly acclaimed beer is meant to taste, am I so pore of a judge? Having been an avid beer enthusiast for the last 20 years, I have to assume this just isn't for me. Strange having enjoyed pretty much every other Belgium beer I've had.

I will give this another try as this was purchased in Japan, so may well be a bad example, but unfortunately I think it may be how this beer is intended.

03-04-2013 12:08:54 | More by John_Henry
heavy216

1.83/5  rDev -56.4%

A: 11.2 oz bottle. huge head, lasted several minutes, apple cider like color when poured.

S: strong fruit/yeast aroma....possibly banana

T/M: strong carbonation....very strong afterbite

D: Not very impressed especially for large price tag, was hoping this one would have been better

02-01-2011 04:47:57 | More by heavy216
marchoftheclouds

1.83/5  rDev -56.4%

When I pay $4.99 for a 11.2 oz "treat" I expect the trifecta of different, unusual and really exceptional (as in tasty). I'm finding I can't always get the trifecta ... and it's probably due to my preferences. After drinking the Orval, I read an A+ review by Jason Alström. I read other reviews, too, and noticed one beer advocate thought he got a bad bottle. That was the first thought I had after my first mouthful. I don't like beer that has a grapefruit taste in it. I've tried extremely hoppy beers, but they aren't my thing. I think I'll keep trying new things, but I'm leaning more and more to, "If you can see through it, you might not like it!"

12-16-2010 02:16:48 | More by marchoftheclouds
brewdlyhooked13

1.95/5  rDev -53.6%

Very distinctive bottle design makes this a classy pick. Massive bubbles on the pour, which I forgot about at first, creating a bubble overage. Impressive aroma, but something happened on the taste part. I know Michael Jackson loves this beer, but I must be too inexperienced to appreciate it. It wasn't until I was halfway through the half glass I had for the taste testing when it hit me - Robitussin. Robitussin and, and...olives? Yeah, olives and Robitussin. The initial sensation in the mouth is different, but it always ended up Robitussin.

After reading all the reviews out here, I owe it to myself to try this again (for a 3rd time) to see if I can taste some of the other things people are commenting on. I've had Duvel, this is nothing like that except for the alcohol content.

This beer had some interesting side components that I liked, but the taste is the thing.

10-08-2002 13:44:18 | More by brewdlyhooked13

05-30-2013 11:02:45 | More by soxandbeer
dogboy

Alberta (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -49.3%

I love Belgian beer and especially the Trappist ales. I tried this a while ago and hated it, so time for another go.

Bottle looks beautiful as does the beer in the glass with its golden hue and huge fluffy white head. Unfortunataly for me that's where it stops. Overpowering perfume and medicinal smells on my nose (even furniture polish?). Fizzy, thin, funky and sour in the mouth.

I won't be back for a third try.

09-24-2008 23:16:18 | More by dogboy
Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.