Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,193 | Hads: 4,900
3.11/5  rDev -25.2%

A dry, dry, dry belgian. Pours with a very nice golden hue, with thick and lasting head. This beer almost glows in the glass. Good lacing as well. Aroma is slightly citruisy and peppery. Taste is dry, dry, dry. It's hard for me to pick up other flavors going around. I do pick up a touch of pepper in here as well. Mouthfeel is thin and overcarbonated. Tiny bubbles of carbonation rest on the head of this beer. Not one of the best beers out there, IMHO. (454 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

A slightly cloudy golden with many bubbles rising to the firm, stark white head.

A complex aroma of citrus with a background of malt. A distinct pepperiness is also there. Almost an earthiness that one finds in a lambic.

The taste is not sweet. It almost starts as dry as it finishes. I was expecting more contrasts and am a little disappointed. Their are no off tastes.

There is a little pepperiness to the mouthfeel. It does have a medium light mouthfeel and there is some carbonation playing with tongue. The alcohol does not burn even though it is relitively high.

This is such a subtle Belgian, I would recommend it only to those just starting out trying the style. Most certainly, I would recommend this as the first beer of the night because, it would be hard to appreciate it after a couple other bigger beers. (831 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a Pabst Blue Ribbon chalace (my Rapscallion and Ommegang chalaces have both been recently broken).

Bottled on date 24/10/02.
Cellar temperature. 2 inch off-white head with HUGE bubbles. Large blanket of lace eventually reduced to a thin sheet and stayed throughtout the life of the beer.
Hazy orange-amber in color with much carbonation apparent in the early stages of the beer, though not overly carbonated in the late stages.
Nose of cloves, citrus, hops and banana. Slight alcohol presence, but not all that strong.
Dry and tart, citrus and hops are prevelant, while a slight maltiness stays in the background.
Finishes dry and somewhat weak.

Haven't had many Trappists yet and this is my first to review, so my palate is not quite yet accustomed to this style of beer. May have to edit review once I delve deeper into the Trappist family. (870 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Served in a Chimay chalice glass. Bottled on 9/17/2004, so about 5 months old. I have some cellared that's 4 years old that I'll review at a later time (I want to try it right at 5 years).

Light orange color, somewhat hazy. Nice initial head that fades a bit quick.

Aroma consists of a huge hop bouquet, reminding me of new-mown grass.

Flavor is highly bitter, full of hop flavor (reminiscent of lemon-grass). Fairly fruity & yeasty, with just a touch of that sour, earthy (fresh-turned compost) Brett character. I had never noticed the Brett until it was pointed out to me, but now it seems an obvious and essential flavor component. Finishes dry and acidic, lingering for long moments past the last sip.

A gorgeous beer, utterly unique and extremely tasty. I just wish it were cheaper. (799 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Presentation: 11.2oz brown bottle with a best before date of 20.01.2009, a full five years after its bottled on date. Poured into a proper Orval chalice, leaving the majority of the yeast in the bottle.

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber with a wide column of bubbles feeding a dense off-white head. Beautiful.

Smell: Lemon, orange, pine, and funky barnyard yeast are just a few of the scents that come to mind. Quite a complex nose.

Taste: Very citric and drying at the start, like a dry white. Beyond this the taste expands to a particularly full balance of sweet malts and candy sugar to high alpha acid hops bitterness. Lurking in the periphery is the funky wild yeast character detected in the nose, bringing along with it an impressive gamut of earthy, rustic flavors similar to those found in complex cheeses that while not immediately appealing, are in my opinion integral to the uniquely satisfying nature of Orval. The experience is rounded out with a pleasant, mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with very lively carbonation. This perfectly accompanies and accentuates the flavor.

Drinkability: As I consider this the most subjective category for obvious reasons, I would normally state that I see no reason why anyone who appreciates this beer couldn't knock back a few more than other representatives of similar styles. However, considering the price that comes along with the Trappist name, it seems proper to deduct a point here.

Comments: This has been my favorite Belgian for nearly as long as I've been aware of the country's beers -- I've delayed reviewing it for so long out of fear of not doing it justice. I'd just like to add that I would love to taste more hoppy beers which utilise wild yeast strains. Oh Brettanomyces, what can't you do? (1,790 characters)

Another delicious Belgian. This is my first Belgian Pale, though. It is actually quite a pleasant change from the intense sweetness of other trappist dubbels, tripels, and quadrupels, and strong ales. Very, very delicious, and if the drinkability could go any higher than 5, I would be sure to give it that. I believe this beer is well deserving of my second ever 5 star rating on BA.

The beer erupted into a large frothy white head regardless of the careful pour. The foam refused to subdue itself, but created little dimples in the surface. The smell was the first thing that hit me as I popped open the cap. It smelled and sounded like a sparkling champagne, even tasted a bit like one. Also in the smell was something that seems to be lacking altogether in many Belgians... hops! It is by no means a hop monster, though, as the malt character clearly shows through in both the smell and taste as well. This beer is perfectly balanced between maltiness and hoppiness, in my opinion. The mouthfeel is so incredibly smooth I can't wait to take another drink. The finish is slightly dry and reveals a bit of alcohol even though is not a very huge beer at 6.9% (according to the label). As I said before, drinkability is off the charts. If you ever get a chance, buy some. I can't believe this is one of the last trappist ales I've tried. If Westy 8 and 12 can live up to their hype, I think I will have reached beer nirvana if they are better than this. (1,456 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

11.2 FL. OZ.
Bottled on 14.05.2003
Best Before 14.05.2008
ALC. 6.9% VOL.

Appearance – at cap removal, the air booms out; champagne crisp sound at pour; slightly murky orange amber; strong stratus cloud-like head; bubbly, sizeable pockets of lace

Smell - strong banana, yeast, flowers, lemon, light wood

Taste – start malty then tart; orange, slight metal, medicinal
Finish – champagne-like tart, hoppy, slight metal and medicinal continue, light sweetness

Mouthfeel & Drinkability - sharp carbonation, dry; starts full and smooth that balks to a medium body with the crisp dryness at the end

This is a great taste of history. (649 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

This poured copper, with a thick head that retained and left soft peaks, yep, just as a fine meringue, beautiful!, smell was complex and fruity, lemon and other indistinguishable fruit, maybe some apple pie as well, nice crisp tart taste, again some lemon taste, rich and complex, smooth finish, fruity notes, mouthfeel presents as well carbonated, crisp, and a bit creamy on the finish, drinkability is Fantastic!, not a session brew, but one to be savored, truly a great beer, class all the way! (497 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

As part of a session tonight, this one stood out. This was such a simple, pure beer. Nothing about it was meant to be overboard or in your face, like most new school American beers. The balance achieved in this fine ale is absolute bliss for the senses. I only bought one, and I am kicking myself for it now. Brilliance. Sheer brilliance. (338 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -58.4%

11.2oz pours cloudy light brown with a big foamy tan head. Mix of banana and stale urine in the aroma. I don't even want to drink it, but I will. High carbonation and creaminess in the mouthful, taste is similar to the aroma, with some spices and noticible alcohol. Some stale sourness. Very rough. Is it possible I got a bad bottle? Are my tastebuds off tonight? I haven't read any other reviews of this yet - if I'm way off from others then perhaps I've got a dud on my hands. Either that or this REALLY isn't my thing. (521 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

And now to review one of the most controversal brews on beer advocate..

Pours a bright golden orange color with a huge frothy head that leaves a nice lace. It is quite clear from looking at this beer that there is a ton carbonation from this brew, as the bubbles don't stop shooting up. Aromas are a mix of citrus lemony tones, and acetic almost cat piss like funk. There is also some interesting barnyard aromas. Flavors start off very spritzy to this brew with an in your face carbonation that just explodes on the pallate. There's a heavy dosage of lemony citrus flavors with hints of spice. Following there is a yeasty estery like flavor that brings about quite a dryness to this beer. There is a decent acidic punch throughout this beer which just a light dosage of maltiness and a slight sugary sweetness. Overall this brew was very spritzy and citrusy but of all the trappists probably one of my least favorite. (921 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Light orange with active bubbles creating a big heap of head that stays in crazy sculptures and lacing. Aroma. Wow. Like flower petals mixed with a little potting soil. Like a subtle whiff of perfume off of the loveliest woman in the world. Flavor is a little bit of dangerous nuttiness. A prickle of vegetation. Tantalizing bite. Medium-thin and alive, smooth and dry.

There is something mysterious and unreal about this beer. When I drank it, something made me keep on thinking of spiders. It had a creepiness that tried to scare me off. Then I had nightmares after going to sleep, which is extremely rare for me. I think there is some kind of a curse on this beer. Seriously. (681 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a huge off-white fluffy head that dissipates slowly leaving a moderate amount of lacing clinging to the sides. Head lasts through entire experience. Pours a beautiful copper color with just a bit of chill haze.

There is a lot of spice to the nose especially clove and pepper. Just the faintest bit of medicine in the aroma.

The flavor is full of clove and pepper also with a nice little malt backbone. Finishes very dry with just a bit of bittering hops in the end.

Good carbonation and light to medium body. I would have liked a little more body to this one. (579 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Hazy orange colour topped by a GIGANTIC head of dense, cream-coloured foam. Excellent lacing down the sides of the glass and great head retention.

Smell: Lemony citrus, some pine resin, juniper berries, some earthiness

Taste: Bitterness is prominent right from the start and becomes more piney and resinous at the finish. Citrus acidity is present throughout as well as some well-balanced phenolic spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light body and high carbonation. The texture is very light and smooth -- the beer feels very light on the palate without being watery and thin. Very nice job.

Drinkability: The light body, great complexity, and dry finish all help make this beer highly drinkable. The only thing keeping this from being a good session is the elevated abv.

330mL brown bottle with bottled on and best before dates clearly stamped on the label. (885 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a cloudy dark orange with a thick, foamy head that lasts forever. One of the most extraordinary aromas in any beer, a complex weave of malt, syrup, plums, tart yeast. I always sit and enjoy the nose for ages before actually taking my first sip. (This beer is a rarity as the aroma is actually far better than the taste.)

Rich malts and a heavy bready nature that fills the palate without coating it. Elements of dark fruits, rum, some apple, even bubblegum, along with a not-so-subtle yeastiness and bitterness. More on the dry side with a slightly burnt, sour finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy but not heavy, slick but tempered with a sharp carbonation. Very drinkable for a Trappist. Bottle dated 10/24/2002, so just over a two-year-old sample. (752 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%

11.2 ounce classic heavy glass bottle. "Bottled on 10-04-04" "Best before 10-03-09" Fantastic pour, leaves a huge head which slowly morphs to a rocky, puffy 1/4 inch irregular head, leaves truly world class lacing, at once wispy,puffy and very clinging. Orangy amber,cloudy. Nose is tropical fruit and a bit of pepper. Silky smooth, drying and light. Notes of pepper, yeast nuttyness, ripe fruits,anise.. Quite hoppy in the mid section and all along the finish. Dry with a pine undertone. Wonderful creation in brewing. The allmost 7% nowhere to be found on the tongue. Head explodes and slowly recedes, yet the brew is very soft and not at all prickly on the tongue. Wish I had more of this stuff, or the will power to put some away for a few years. (750 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.2%

When I was first told about a hoppy belgian brew i was very excited until i thought about how belgians like to use old hops in Lambics, and that got me to be a little worried. Still I bought one and tried it and it poured a huge effervescent head that subsided moderateky leaving some lace. The aroma was slighty fruity and had a malty dryness. The flavor was very strange as it had a strong flavor of hops but not like anything I have ever tried before. The hops were almost like juniper or some other astringent herb but stil retaining the smoothness of quality hops with no cheesiness or weird bitterness. The malt flavor was light and dry making sure that the hops were the highlight of the beer. The body was light and the carbonation led to a champagne like character as it fizzed all over your tongue during the first few drinks. An alright beer it seems pretty extreme to have one after another but if something interesting is needed this brew will certainly come through. (980 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%

pours a tarnished amber, large carbonation bubbles, and a giant rocky offwhite head.

smells like bubblegum, cherries, and bread. there is also a wine smell, like what you would smell if you left a red wine bottle open for a few weeks with just a little bit in the bottom, kind of like wine yeast, i guess.

wow, that taste is all about that weird wine flavour. sweet, lingering aftertaste of double-bubble bubblegum. wow, that upfront wacky flavour is really right there. it reminds me of the weird flavour in three floyds gumballhead.

mouthfeel is alright, a bit overcarbonated for my liking, but it does well to reinforce the wine/champagne aspects of this beer.

this beer speaks for itself, if you like this style, you are going to get it, as it's a bit of a classic. (783 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -34.6%

I got a bottle that was 3 years old and I must say not held in the best conditions. I poured beautifully amber golden with a large puff of a head that became chunky a left the best lace I have ever seen. It smelled of sweet and spicey flavor be it hops or corn syrup and yeast I think a mix of all three. It is a little citrusy and horsey but pretty bland dashed with spice. Awful thin too. I will have to find some fresher stock and re-review later. (450 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a cloudy, golden orange, with a soft, creamy head that was hard to control. Great looking beer, as I expected. Spicy aroma, lemon. Complex taste. Malt up front, with a strong hop bite. Lemon, herbs, grassy, alcohol, fruit. Very nice. Some tartness like a cider. (268 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Yellowish brown hue with a large off-white head. Citrus aroma. As it warms, funky farmhouse aromas are detectable. Many different flavors, such as apples, grapes, candy, and spices. Perfect balance between malt and hops. Hoppier than most Belgian beers. Finishes dry with an alcoholic kick. I would have thought the abv was higher than 6.2%. High level of carbonation. This is an amazingly complex beer, which I liked a lot more the second time I tried it.. (457 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

11.2 FL. OZ. Bottle from The Wine Cellar of Silene in Waltham, MA. Bottled on 1.06.2004 Best Before 1.06.2009

Thick, frothy head with an apple cidar body.

Smells or citrus fruit and flowers, reminds me of springtime.

Taste of lemon, hops and again, the essence of spring time. Crisp and somewhat bitter.

Tears through the mouth doing and saying so many things, quite an enjoyable sensation.

Great beer. I put off trying this brew for a long time, but it has been on my list of must tries since I discovered Belgians. Try it if you haven't. (556 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

For a pale, this is pretty dark. It pours a very beautiful orangey colour with a large white head made up of huge bubbles. Some of the head got stuck in the neck of the bottle.

It smelled warm and earthy with a hint of dark fruits. I could swear I also smelled peat in there. Like a good single-malt scotch.

The mouthfeel was quite thick, and the taste was a bit bitter - some malt and hops - and again, the "peat" characteristic came out. Sadly, the taste was ruined by the presence of what I can only describe as soap.

Remember that terrible purple soapy-tasting gum that you used to get out of the machine at the local grocery store when you were a kid? Remember how there was always one kid who *loved* that stuff, and everybody else thought he was a freak? Well it tastes like that stuff. And it starts get a bit overwhelming as it warms. Which is really a shame considering that everything else about this beer is excellent. (940 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Was very pleasently surprised to see this at the LCBO, so picked up a couple. This Trappist Ale is one of the oldest apparently, and looks very good. It pours a coppery-orange with a fluffy, pillowy white head that laces and lingers and clings and clumps. Smell was very earthy and peaty, farm-like, with a hint of dark fruit. What appears to be an off-smell (horse blanket), becomes something I truly look forward with repeated sittings. Taste was a nice hoppy bitterness, dry, very earthy and peaty. It is pretty much exactly what I would picture medival monks drinking in a dank monastary. Nice creamy mouthfeel, almost a crispness to it. It would make a nice start to a night of Trappist Ales, and is slowly becoming my favourite of the bunch. (747 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

this is a very good beer. i couldn't pour the 11.2 oz bottle into my glass without the head overflowing. the head is VERY thick and VERY creamy and leaves the most impressive lacing i've seen, thick chunks of foam stuck to the sides of my glass. Taste seems to be mainly of hops with maybe some spices i can't identify and alcohol--the alcohol taste isn't too bad though. It's a little bitter but overall good for the ABV. It goes down very smooth and the mouthfeel is just about right-not too thick not too thin. my only complaint is the drinkibility because of the price, 8.99 for two 11.2oz bottles, after tax that about 5 bucks a beer therefore i probably won't get it again. but that doesn't take away from it being an execellent brew. (740 characters)

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.