Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4%

had this from draft and in a chalice type glass. Had a good head to it along with a really good dark orange color

nicely aromatic with tones of oranges, pears, some malts, and a slight touch of citrus hops. very well balanced and aromatic

the aromas are backed up by a real smooth and delicious medium/full body. good depth on the flavors as well with the flavors mostly being more oranges and bits of citrus hops+malts

its been a while since I've had an orval. This reminded me quickly that my next one should be a lot sooner

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

The bottle I had was almost 14 months old.

Cloudy orangish bosy with a 2 finger white head that looks like soap bubbles.Thick pillowly head.

Smells like peppar and coriander,some banana and like the candy Neco wafers.Smells like pudding also.
Peppery taste sorda bitter in the after taste.Yeasty and very creamy head. Mouthful is delicate and heavenly very creamy head and perfect carb. and thickness.Good beer very enjoyable and worth the price.I drank it with the company of my beutaful girlfreind and a nice night on the back porch.I will look for this beer again but a fresher bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

A murky dark copper/brown beer that has some gold in the light. A fluffy vanilla ice cream colored head doesn't leave much lacing, covered the beer until the final sip.

Smell is Belgian yeast, and as it warms up, a rich fruity green apple scent.

Taste is different. A strangely strong, yet mellow tart bitter hop flavor builds until the middle, dry malt on the finish, and that Belgian yeast is present throughout.

Beer with a bite, lively, and very drinkable.

I am always looking for something different, and this flavor has it. I have yet to have something so strong, yet mellow and nice. A great beer I will enjoy and recommend.

DOA

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a hazy amber / orange color with a crazy amount of head. The head is off-white and has pretty good retention. Smell is of light malts, some wheat, spice and yeast. Taste is very smooth. It starts light but comes in with strong taste in the middle and end of my sip. In the taste I detect a slight sweetness as it first touches my tongue, then I get a slight bit of funk with some light malts, in the end of the taste I get some pepper as well. The mouthfeel is tingly due to the strong carbonation, medium bodied beer. Overall this is a dang good beer, a favorite for me in this style.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

375 ml Bottle poured into a rochfort chalice. Bottled 7/2010.

Pours out a lightly hazy, crisp light brown with 4 fingers of billowy off white head that laces the glass and lingers.

I hadnt read any reviews prior to cracking this one - i was surprised to find that the smell is dominated by the Brett - lightly sour and peppery, with bready malt underneath.

Taste is complex, yet light. Initially it's peppery and mildly tart (lemon), with a bit of spice before fading into some bready malts. Finish is very smooth and refreshing.

Feel is delightful. Light, crisp, somewhat creamy, prickly carbonation that still manages to feel soft.

Overall - a great beer. Not what I was expecting, but delicious. It will definitely be showing up in the fridge again.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottled on 12/30/09

Poured into a chalice, it has a dark copper color with enough haze that you can't see much through it. The head foams up quickly, and leaves a massive, thick white head on top. A lot of carbonation bubbles are visible in the glass.

The aroma is a nice mix between lemony hops and a fruity, funky yeast character. The brettanomyces adds aromas of leather and rainfall. As I understand, this beer changes a ton with age, but I like where it is right now.

The mouthfeel is very dry with a lot of carbonation but with a firm substance. This beer leaves a drying, leathery feel on the finish. Malt flavor and sweetness seems to stay out of the way, but the funky brett flavors and bitter finish take over. It has a deep, earthy flavor to it with the flavor of dirt, wet leaves, and wild flowers. The finish has the combination of bitter hops and leathery dryness. There isn't much acidity, but the brett leaves a salty flavor throughout.

This beer is really interesting. I'd love to get this again for food pairing or age variations. I'm sure my review would be different each time I had it.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a love or hate beer, I compare it best to the Dallas Cowboys. The only difference, I love this beer.

The pour is this massively alive frothy cauldron explosion. Not explosion to the point of losing ambrosia, just some heady bubbles. Amazing retention and lacing.

The smell and taste are both amazingly complex. I could write different details about every singly sip, but let me say that some light pepper-citrus notes blend with some citrus-funk to amaze the senses. Changes all the time, sour to sweet to hoppy to malty to wtf...stop changing you crazy beast....

The mouthfeel is incredibly dry without being even slightly offensive, nice..very nice.

I could drink a few of these, great beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a goblet. A very thick, rocky head formed. There's an effervescence about this beer that is very pretty in the pour. The beer pours a pale orange amber. I did my best to get a clean pour but it came out pretty hazy. It's an interesting, complex looking beer.

Aroma was great. i got some lemon & herbs right away followed quickly by a bit of the barnyard aroma that folks talk about as wet horse blanket. Again, this is just such a complex aroma profile.

Taste is complex too, though I didn't find that it held up quite as well as the aroma (but it was close). More of the barnyard in my taste profile, not as much bitterness as I thought there might be. Good bit of sourness, too. Quite tart.

Rich mouthfeel. The carbonation lends a fullness to this beer that is otherwise greater than the body. Quite nice.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Re-rerate: Four and a half month old bottle. Stunning. The last few bottles have proven this to be a truly perfect beer. There is so much variety depending on age, but that makes me love it even more as it can be multiple beers for multiple moods while still being outstanding in every iteration. The hops and fruity esters are phenomenal in younger examples, with brett and dry elegance taking over as time progresses. This truly is a perfect five, and it is a tragedy that it's not appreciated enough to land in the top 100 when it makes the vast majority of the beers on the list look sloppy and poor.

Re-rate, 11/26/07. I've finally come around to re-rating this almost three months later, and Systemblaget still has bottles bottled on the same day, so I'm getting a sample with 9 months of age instead of 6. It may be that the beer has evolved considerably in those three months, or it may be that I have evolved as well since one of my first ratings, but this rating experience is very different from the original. The pour is a clear orange/amber with an absolutely massive lasting head. Bubbles stream from everywhere to sustain the mountainous foam for quite some time, until you wear it into a creamy layer that laces all the way to the bottom. Beautiful to say the least. The aroma is a little different than I remember: dryer and much more complex. Yeast, sour fruit, hops, bubble-gum ,and cloves hit you to start. Very spicy cloves. As the beer warms, more sugar comes out, with some caramel and a good helping of sweet cherries with a lingering acidity. The flavor is dryer than I recall; much dryer than the aroma would lead you to believe. Hop resin scrapes your tongue with a lasting bitter finish, and a slight citrus acidity rides over it all. The body is light and heavily but smoothly carbonated, with a long bitter and lean finish. the alcohol taste that was present before is completely absent now. I'm awe-struck at the complexity of this beer. I didn't know that you could smell so many amazing things in one glass. It's like a whole table of spiced christmas confections, and I'm loving it. It's leanness and dryness also make it supremely drinkable, which is more than I can say for any other Trappist ale that I've had.

(original rating) From a bottle in Lund, Sweden on 8-28-07. Pours a murky golden orange amber with a substatial head that stays for quite awhile in a tulip glass. The aroma is probably one of the best-sweet apricots linger with tangy lemon and spicy cinnamon. I was expecting a better flavor out of this, but something was lacking. There was a good mouthfeel with heavy carbonation, but an intrusiveness of alcohol lingered over it and ruined the flavor. The bitterness in the finish was definitely refreshing, but for a beer bottled at only 6.2% ABV, there shouldn't have been this prevalent of an alcohol taste. I'll definitely give it another try.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.