Orval Trappist Ale - Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orval Trappist Ale Alström Bros

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

bottle stamped 27/12/2007

A=pours out a orange/amber with medium head that goes down to a small layer.

S=oranges and apples. sweet smells of ancient yeasts.

T=crisp. orange, clove, cider like finish. Hoppy and bitter.

D= bubbly and delicious, if I didn't pay close to $10 for one bottle I would drink this all night. Although this is one to savor.

Glad I tried this one. A perfect example of a Belgian pale ale

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Aye... this is good one...

Appearance: Bold, full of wonderfully small bubbles drumming up from the whole-headed brew into a marvalous lace that lasted that whole way down the glass... never ending..

Smell: Plums, alcohol, fruits and treats, very nice,

Taste: Smooth, velvetly, very nice and so totally "Belgium."

Mouthfeel: Well it sort of takes over the moment.. not to be mistaken as an absolute "Ikon of brews".... that's all to be said.

Drinkalble: Oh yeah, Oh yeah, this is a fabulous beer that you just have to enjoy a few times in your beertasting career. A world-class number, in every regard. I agree with Jason on this...

Highly recommended by your buddy,

Willy from Wanaque, NJ.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured out of an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Opaque copper/orange color with a massive frothy head.
Leaves a nice bit of lattice.

Smells of citrus

There was a little touch of tartness to the flavor, maybe some of the citrus. I shall definitely have to try this one again and again.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle at the Nouvelle Hostellerie D'Orval.

Orval is a beer that's grown on me through the years. All leather and banana and cinnamon and grated lemon zest and fresh bread and dry spice and, and, and...

... and it turns a cheese sandwich into a banquet. And when Orval's commercial director, Francois de Harenne, insists on pouring it for you as he tells you about the region's political history, it becomes a marker of surreality.

There's beer. There's Belgian beer. And then, there's Orval. Worth falling in love with over and over again.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tulip glass from a bottle labeled 09/07/2008.

Very intense head, like sea foam that just won't go away- I don't mind this, really, but it makes it a little challenging to pour the whole bottle.

Its a shadowy orange color, much lighter than I was expecting but once it opens up and the "sea foam" subsides, the smell is delicately spicy, like nuts roasted in butter and coriander.

Orval has a nice maltiness to it that gives it a refreshing, almost biscuity crispness. Hints of lemon, sweet yeast, and white grapes are hiding behind the malt. Very refreshing

In a white trash way, I wish they made this beer in "affordable" (I'm talkin $20-$25) 12 packs - even in cans- so us prestigious bastards could easily pick one up and take it to a party, bonfire, or camping because its so easy to drink. Mine was gone before I knew it- and yes, there is still sea foam down one side of my glass.

A great trappist, though not quite what I was expecting. Get you one!

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

This beer poured with a very tall, foamy head that took a little time to get into the glass. The head stuck around for a bit. Very lacey on the sides of the glass. It's a golden straw, not quite clear, not quite cloudy and fairly bubbley. The smell is warm with nice flowery hops and bit of pumpkin and a soft hint of malt. The mouthfeel is slightly bitter, slightly sweet, very easy with just the right amount of carbonation and very little warmnth of alcohol, full but not thick. The taste is fantastic with bread and grain, slightly sweet, a little banana. I could easily drink a lot of this.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

I had always seen this beer on the shelf and never thought much of it. Small. Humble. (Expensive.) Sometimes dusty...

Well today I decided to pick one up.
Brewed 7/10/2010 [ BB 7/10/2015 ]

A: Pours a slightly cloudy orange amber with a huge light tan head that hangs out forever. Giant bubbles. I actually put my ear up to the head and the sound was amazing; snap! crackle! pop! at such intense levels. Wow...

S: A lot of banana and sweet cinnamon blended with tartness. Some pine.

T: Very bready but also extremely tart. Almost like a bitter apple pie but not nearly as sweet.

M: Very light and bubbly on the tongue. Smooths over leaving a light film of flavor. Not overly carbonated. Goes down making you want more.

This beer was amazing. I'm sitting here looking at my last sips wondering when I'll pick up another. I think because of the age of this beer it may be more sour making it all the more enjoyable. I'd certainly like to try a fresh one but for now I am ok with small, humble and sometimes dusty (but not expensive).

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a Chimay chalice. Pours an unclarified dark honey with a two inch creamy persistent head. Smell is a soury lemon that dissipates afer a few minutes. Predominant taste is that of hoppy bitterness. Mild carbonation that makes this ale go down easily. Pale ales not my thing and this reminds me of why.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.4/5  rDev -19%

First time having this legendary trappist ale...I'm trying to push my palate with more funky/sour beers, and this is one of the originals, so i was very excited.

A: absolutely gorgeous amber with a slight haze. huge, chunky head. bubbles streaming up from the bottom of my DFH signature glass.

S: delicious complex floral notes and a pronounced tange. lemon rind. hay.

T: i think i poured this too cold, as the taste definitely improved after i let it sit for a bit. starts slightly tangy (but not as sour as i'd expect from the nose) then strong medicinal/phenols take over, with just a touch of biscuity malt in the background. a quick hit of horse blanket, then finishes extremely bitter, bordering on astringent, and dries up almost entirely. with a touch more sweetness and/or acidity, this would have been great, but as it was the bitterness as the end took away the complexity in the middle for me...

M: love the intense effervescence.

D: this was certainly complex, but the finish was honestly too bitter for me that made me not crave another at all and give pause for going through the glass. not bitter in a citric/pine american IPDA/DIPA way, but this intense medicinal bitterness.

I will try this one out again in a year or two if/once my palate develops more around wild/brett/funky belgian style brews. but for now, while this was certainly a worthwhile taste, at the price it's not something i'll go back to until i think it's something i'd appreciate more...

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Presentation: I love the classic yet distinct looking bottle. I poured mine into a beautiful Orval goblet I purchased at the monastary

Appearance: a shade darker than honey and a shade lighter than caramel with a 3/4 inch creamy head, some sediment can be seen when held up to the light

Smell: subtle floral and fruit aroma at first, than yeast and something bitter I can't quite place

taste: complex! bitter (in a good way) at first and than a warming, but not overwhelming alcohol taste down the throat. Hints of lemon but not a fruity beer! Some really nice hoppy spiciness as well.

mouthfeel: a bit chewy but goes down smooth

drinkability: unlike other trappist beers that I love, I could have a few of these in a row. Compared to a Rochefort or a westveleteren the alcohol content is considerably lower at (6.2%). Not my favorite Belgian beer but in my top 10. Goes great with the Orval cheese!

note: I bought a case at the Orval monastary which I would highly recommend visiting. It is the most picturesque of the trappist monastaries and the ruins of the old church is worth the price of admission (5 euros)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Served from an 11.2 oz bottle poured into tulip shaped glass.

A: Hazy amber with two fingers of a thick, rich cream colored head. The head leaves a nice lacing on the side of the glass as it dissipates.

S: Its got a pleasant sour smell to it with some orange and some malt sweetness lurking behind.

T: Starts out rather tart but then does this dry hoppy, phenolic thing. The finish is rather long and dry. You definitely could sit and ponder the finish for quite a while.

M: Medium to lite mouth feel. Very tightly carbonated. Dry.

O: A really nice well balanced beer.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

This review is about a 8 years old orval i found in a family house.

I poured this treasure in his glass of course and with surprise, the beer reacted normally, the white head came and some banana flavors came to me. The color was more clear than usually.
The nose is amazing, notes of old yeast, banana, very fresh. The carbonation was still very good and the taste as well, very evolutive , complex, i now want all my orvals like this. minimum 8 years old. Hard to believe the a 6,2 % ABV amber beer can be aged like that.

Exceptional.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Very good Belgian Ale. Has the distinct charateristics you are looking for in a Belgian. Warning: Very thick head, so pour slowly. This is one of the beers that is always in my fridge, and one of the few I don't have to check myself due to the alcohol content.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.