Bock De Joliette - Micro-Brasserie L'Alchimiste

Bock De JolietteBock De Joliette

Micro-Brasserie L'Alchimiste visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Bock |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-07-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by wizo:
3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

A- vigorous pour yields a good two fingers of head. Nice clear amber with lots of carbonation bubbles rising. Bad head retention.

S- Smells both good and bad. Good like caramel and alcohol. Bad like metal and wet cardboard. Hops are a tiny bit onion-ish

T- Same as smell. After-taste ressembles that of a Molson ex but with a nicer, cleaner sweetness and bitterness.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Dry.

D- Good. Refreshing.Flavorful enough (not all good flavours though). Definitely not delicious but I'd drink a 6-pack.

No real need to purchase this unless it's in the mixed-pack.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

2.13/5  rDev -34.9%

Bottle: Poured an amber color ale with a medium foamy head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of overcooked vegetables is dominating with a thin medium sweet malt profile. Taste is also dominated by DMS with some very light sweet malt. Body is definitely too thin for the style and carbonation is quite low.

2.48/5  rDev -24.2%

Well well. What can I say? I don't like this beer. Not sure about the taste. Not really sure if this is a Bock. I guess I will have to taste other Bock and then redo a taste on this one. Still have 2 bottles so I might do that. Maybe it is the beer style I do not like.

Why I do not like, well it doesn't taste much... maybe next time I try to drink it directly from the bottle... :)

3.5/5  rDev +7%

2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a clear amber colour with an average size off-white fizzy head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing. There really isn't much lacing and the head was gone in a flash.

Smell - metallic, lemon, malts, breads/grains

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a near average amount of carbonation and feels and tastes slightly watery. The flavour that is there consists of malts, lemons, creating a somewhat rusty flavour. There is also a slightly metallic taste. The beer finishes with a biscuit/lemon bitter aftertaste.

Drink - I've had a few beers from Quebec which have a flavour similar to this one. It doesn't really do it for me.. It's not awful; just not my thing.

4.25/5  rDev +30%

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

1.5/5  rDev -54.1%

On this damp, rainy evening I felt like a bock. This one isn't it either.

A: Surprisingly clear, copper-orange hue with a light tan head, very little retention, no lacing.

S: Chocolate & fruit with a slightly sour, grainy astringency.

T: Chocolate covered cherries (I'm being kind) with a light tartness, grainy, modest bitterness. The cardboard & vegetal flavours are obvious imperfections and the lingering aftertaste gives me convulsive shakes.

M: Light to moderate body is over-carbonated.

D: I could choke it back if I had to, but the rest of this is going down the drain.

The ratings are all over the place for this. Is it really that inconsistent or is there a house infection that causes it to SEVERELY degrade with time?

I don't think they could've bottled it in this condition, and the label does have numbers to indicate the date, but nothing is marked. I wasted my money on this, so the review stands.

2.45/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A clear amber coloured bock with two fingers of pale tan head is sitting in my pint glass. Decent retention although it has now dissipated to just a collar. Leaves some half decent intricate lacings.

Big whiff of butterscotch from the nose, im not getting much else here, other than some tart aromas.

A mildly sour butterscotch is the main flavour here, along with some green apple. There is some nondescript hop bitterness underneath the sweet yet tart flavours.

Took me a while to get to this brew, as the other Ive had from this brewery scared me away even though they were fresh. Had a maibock today so i figured I'd have another. This is pretty light in body, with no real malt or hop presence, it tastes more of candied corn than anything else, and if it were not for the hint of grain husk i would be surprised to find that this is indeed a beer.

Im going to drink this, and almost enjoy it. It is an interesting beverage, but it certainly is not a good bock. There is a good beer scene in Quebec, but unfortunately I've been disappointed in the offerings from L'Alchimiste.

3.63/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

341 ml bottle.

A- Very nice amber colour with a reddish-orange tinge. A few streams of bubbles rising in the glass. Smallish, off-white head.

S- Very malty aroma. Caramel.

T- Very dominated by sweet malt. A little unbalanced towards the sweet. Nice little touch of floral hops. Some dried fruit flavours.

MF- Good soft, full-bodied mouthfeel.

D- Decent beer but the overly sweet flavour would limit the quantity I could have at a sitting.

2.95/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Received this in a trade from papat444 -- thanks!

Shared this 12 oz bottle with my dad in two small sample glasses. Looked great upon pouring -- deep amber colour with a slightly eggshell head that stuck around. Lots of good lacing.

Aroma was pleasant, if mild. Fresh bread with hints of sweet cotton candy or caramel. Taste was, unfortunately, disappointing -- definite skunk in there. The bottle had a dateline on the label, but it was unmarked, so I'm not sure what happened. I have had a couple of unexpectedly skunked beers lately, so I may need to investigate my storage area to see what's up. Anyway, I can see the potential of the flavour, but the skunky Heineken-like flavours overwhelmed what might have been a decent beer. Also somewhat overcarbonated for the style, in my opinion. I would like to try this again with a different bottle to see how it compares.

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

I think I have the right one here. The one I have just says "La Bock" on the label and doesn't match the one pictured here. It seems like this brewery changes their labels around a bit.

It poured a nice dark amber color with not very much head at all. I found the beer to be enjoyable though I'm not very familiar with the bock style.

The reviews look a little inconsistent and there was some talk about maybe the batches varying in flavor. Mine was pretty good so either my tastes are different or I got lucky with this one.

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A clear amber with an off-white foam on top with intense lacing. Very pretty. Mild aromas of mustiness and metal with a backdrop of toffee candy and hints of mandarin oranges. Flavor and feel are extremely smooth. The sweet caramel and toffee are melded wonderfully well with the hopping and they form a flavor that slowly evolves thoughout the sip from sweet to balanced and from caramel to a definite tobacco. Great beer!

3.26/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Vices & Versa.

Burnished amber colour, clear, with steady bead. Head is off-white, just a rim. Bit strong-looking, but OK.

Smells malty, sweet. Brown sugar, molasses with a touch of diacetyl. Maybe underattenuated as well. Bit simple, not a lot of nuance to it.

Tastes milky, creamy, lots of toffee with creme Anglaise and orange peel. Quite peppery on the back, kiss of booze and a bit of Grand Marnier.

Fluid, seems a little warm but nice crisp backing up.

Not a bad bock, I guess, but I have had more interesting heavier beers.

4.2/5  rDev +28.4%

Bottle sent to me in CanBif. Thanks Patrick!

Appearance: Pours hazy ambery orange colour with a modest white head, settling to a nice lacey layer.

Aroma: Very sweet malty, heaps of caramel, butterscotch aromas. Previous reviewers note of cotton candy shows up faintly.

Taste: Sweet caramel like flavours with a pronounced woody element in there as well. Well hopped as well, slightly floral with a nice grapefruit bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty sharp but with a decent body. Suits the brew well. Drinkability is high.

Final Statement: I love this beer. This is actually my first bock, and its a wonderful style. It has a wonderful flavour, easy drinking. Just a good solid beer. I highly recommend.

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1/2 liter stubby from Joannette Metro. Poured a gorgeous dark orange-amber with a great frothy 2 finger off white cap. Moderate carbonation. Nose is pure malts...some Munich and caramel and some pale hell malts over light musty German hops...smells delicious! Mouth feel is medium bodied...smooth but the surprise is the malts are well balanced off with some saaz, Hallertau, Hersbrucker and Spalter hops deliver herbal aroma and some bittering to the layered substantial sweet bready malts. There is a very close flavor profile that parallels Creemore lager....maybe this is why I like this bock...it's just a tad heartier and sweeter

Tasted again 15/7/06...still a decent bock but DMS detected in the nose...this was a industry standard 341ml brown botle...perhaps this batch was a tad green.

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Clear orange/caramel colour topped by a dense, cream-coloured head of fine bubbles that leaves generous lacing on the glass. The aroma is all sweet malt with a hint of alcohol and faint hops. Malty sweet flavour to start with low bitterness. Caramel appears in the middle, along with a metallic flavour that carries through to the end. Spicy bitterness with some herbal character also shows up part way through, balancing the malt very nicely, and lingers into the finish. Medium bodied and very smooth with fairly low carbonation. The hop character really surprised me (in a good way), and I'd definitely have this one again.

Tasted again on 01-06-2006: I noticed a little licorice in the flavour and the lingering hop bitterness seemed a little stronger. Other than that, it was still full of malty goodness. Thanks northyorksammy.

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Thirstybird for bringing this back across the border. Served at 53 degrees in a pilsener glass. Pours a translucent amber with a half inch, frothy, off-white head. Head eventually settles into an 1/8th inch consistent skim - no lacing on this one. Nose expresses caramel malt, dark fruit (raisins and prunes) and an earthy/grainy quality. Taste is consistent with nose, but comes off really quite dull and watered down. There's also a faint metallic character interspersed, but not particularly prominent. Flavors open up a bit more as the brew warms. Mouthfeel is light-medium, with a lively, almost gassy carbonation. Overall, a somewhat lackluster bock.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »