Bock De Joliette - Micro-Brasserie L'Alchimiste

Bock De JolietteBock De Joliette

Micro-Brasserie L'Alchimiste visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Bock |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-07-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
ZorPrime

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Well well. What can I say? I don't like this beer. Not sure about the taste. Not really sure if this is a Bock. I guess I will have to taste other Bock and then redo a taste on this one. Still have 2 bottles so I might do that. Maybe it is the beer style I do not like.

Why I do not like, well it doesn't taste much... maybe next time I try to drink it directly from the bottle... :)

06-08-2008 01:56:30 | More by ZorPrime
rodenbach99

2.53/5  rDev -22.9%

bouteille brune de 341ml.

de couleur orangée trouble, la mousse est blanche et persistante, nez fruité de levure, gout persistant de levure, de fruit, un peu aigre. difficile de se rendre compte que c'est une bock. manque de malt. manque de rondeur.

12-08-2007 21:37:12 | More by rodenbach99
MMansfield

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +28%

Bottle sent to me in CanBif. Thanks Patrick!

Appearance: Pours hazy ambery orange colour with a modest white head, settling to a nice lacey layer.

Aroma: Very sweet malty, heaps of caramel, butterscotch aromas. Previous reviewers note of cotton candy shows up faintly.

Taste: Sweet caramel like flavours with a pronounced woody element in there as well. Well hopped as well, slightly floral with a nice grapefruit bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty sharp but with a decent body. Suits the brew well. Drinkability is high.

Final Statement: I love this beer. This is actually my first bock, and its a wonderful style. It has a wonderful flavour, easy drinking. Just a good solid beer. I highly recommend.

06-26-2007 05:30:01 | More by MMansfield
crwills

2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

Received this in a trade from papat444 -- thanks!

Shared this 12 oz bottle with my dad in two small sample glasses. Looked great upon pouring -- deep amber colour with a slightly eggshell head that stuck around. Lots of good lacing.

Aroma was pleasant, if mild. Fresh bread with hints of sweet cotton candy or caramel. Taste was, unfortunately, disappointing -- definite skunk in there. The bottle had a dateline on the label, but it was unmarked, so I'm not sure what happened. I have had a couple of unexpectedly skunked beers lately, so I may need to investigate my storage area to see what's up. Anyway, I can see the potential of the flavour, but the skunky Heineken-like flavours overwhelmed what might have been a decent beer. Also somewhat overcarbonated for the style, in my opinion. I would like to try this again with a different bottle to see how it compares.

06-06-2007 16:04:14 | More by crwills
JOaikido

3.63/5  rDev +10.7%

341 ml bottle.

A- Very nice amber colour with a reddish-orange tinge. A few streams of bubbles rising in the glass. Smallish, off-white head.

S- Very malty aroma. Caramel.

T- Very dominated by sweet malt. A little unbalanced towards the sweet. Nice little touch of floral hops. Some dried fruit flavours.

MF- Good soft, full-bodied mouthfeel.

D- Decent beer but the overly sweet flavour would limit the quantity I could have at a sitting.

04-26-2007 16:42:47 | More by JOaikido
biegaman

4.15/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours with excellent carbonation, immediate head formation (from inside the bottle even) A mucky orangy appearence. Great malt presence. Smell is rather delictable. This beeing my second beer of this brewery I can see they like their hops as well. They know how to use them, great aroma. Flavour is a la Rogue Dead Guy, this makes a pretty good clone! A lot of hop bitterness up front. Mouthfeel a little dry but not as much when considering the style. Some wood like character, trace notes of dried fruits (plum mostly, a tad cider-esque) Flavour backdroped to caramalyzed malt/amber malts. Good foundations but some room for improvement. I highly enjoyed it, prefered to the Bieropholie. This is no doubt an excellent bock and this brewery seems to be doing good things

04-16-2006 16:00:59 | More by biegaman
HardTarget

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottle: Un-notched date on the side of the label. Notes 6.1% abv,

Aroma: Sweet, slightly malty, bang on style for a bock in my book. Slight caramel note as it warmed.

Appearance: Clear amber glass with a thin white cover that lasted as a collar leaving bits of lace.

Taste: Sweet malt balance with a light clove note and a firm Jolly Rancher apple taste that was enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, mild carbonation

Overall: Sweet with a nice flavor. I enjoyed it with my chicken sandwich, and in complimented the cheesecake dessert as well! I’m a sucker for bocks, so my numbers might be skewed a bit high, but I’ll stand by them.

Enjoyed in Montreal at the Toi, Moi, & Café down the street from the Dieu De Ciel.

03-30-2006 03:42:18 | More by HardTarget
DrJay

3.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Clear orange/caramel colour topped by a dense, cream-coloured head of fine bubbles that leaves generous lacing on the glass. The aroma is all sweet malt with a hint of alcohol and faint hops. Malty sweet flavour to start with low bitterness. Caramel appears in the middle, along with a metallic flavour that carries through to the end. Spicy bitterness with some herbal character also shows up part way through, balancing the malt very nicely, and lingers into the finish. Medium bodied and very smooth with fairly low carbonation. The hop character really surprised me (in a good way), and I'd definitely have this one again.

Tasted again on 01-06-2006: I noticed a little licorice in the flavour and the lingering hop bitterness seemed a little stronger. Other than that, it was still full of malty goodness. Thanks northyorksammy.

10-02-2005 19:18:34 | More by DrJay
waughbrew

4.3/5  rDev +31.1%

A clear amber with an off-white foam on top with intense lacing. Very pretty. Mild aromas of mustiness and metal with a backdrop of toffee candy and hints of mandarin oranges. Flavor and feel are extremely smooth. The sweet caramel and toffee are melded wonderfully well with the hopping and they form a flavor that slowly evolves thoughout the sip from sweet to balanced and from caramel to a definite tobacco. Great beer!

06-07-2005 01:24:38 | More by waughbrew
pootz

3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

1/2 liter stubby from Joannette Metro. Poured a gorgeous dark orange-amber with a great frothy 2 finger off white cap. Moderate carbonation. Nose is pure malts...some Munich and caramel and some pale hell malts over light musty German hops...smells delicious! Mouth feel is medium bodied...smooth but the surprise is the malts are well balanced off with some saaz, Hallertau, Hersbrucker and Spalter hops deliver herbal aroma and some bittering to the layered substantial sweet bready malts. There is a very close flavor profile that parallels Creemore lager....maybe this is why I like this bock...it's just a tad heartier and sweeter

Tasted again 15/7/06...still a decent bock but DMS detected in the nose...this was a industry standard 341ml brown botle...perhaps this batch was a tad green.

03-23-2005 18:10:41 | More by pootz