Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

L'Ecossaise - Micro-Brasserie L'Alchimiste

Micro-Brasserie L'Alchimiste visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Scottish Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sammy on 07-02-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by dherling:
3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured out a chocolate brown, murky, with tan lacing and head. The nose is big malt, with a bit of unexpected fruityness to it. the taste ismore like a brown ale to me. It's missing the big alcohol and ragin malt that I expect from a scotch ale. Mouthfeel is good, medium body and carbonation. Very drinkable, and an enjoyable beer, but it's wrong for the style.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%

Another beer slushie from this brewery. Interesting amber appearance with tons of foam that just won't quit. Initially a bit of stout taste and then nothing. Some sweetness. Taste like a weak watery beer you had in college from a big plastic cup. Fizzy. Dry sweet aftertaste.

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

Some of the hardest to open twist-tops I've encountered.
Just noticed there's no mention of the brewery on the label, only the name of the beer.

A- Held up to a light, a deep, almost purple, ruby. Very light-beige head. Retention is not too good but I won't deduct too many points because I'm not 100% on my glasse's beer cleanliness.

S- Some peanut butter and jelly. Light alcohol. A bit of boiled beet. Roasted coffee as it warms.

T- Not as much flavour as most other scottish ales I've tried but it still tastes good. Light caramel and/or molasses. Cigarette butt smokiness in the finish and after-taste. A tad metallic. A bit too watery in general.

M- Good body but maybe a bit thin for the style. Medium to high carbonation. Finishes dry.

D- Good. I think I could do a 6 pack.

Wouldn't buy a 6 pack of it though.

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Received in CANBIF 2006. Thanks, Matt!

An inviting beer from the start, pouring a nice deep brown with ruby highlights and a creamy tan head. Brown sugar and a nice bready malt aroma greeted my nose and I was looking forward to my first sip.

The taste built on what I smelled moments earlier. It started malty and caramel sweet but ended slighty — only slightly — bitter. It had nice carbonation and a medium-bodied feel.

I don't think this is strong enough to be Scotch ale as the label described it, but if we're calling it a Scottish Ale, it fits well. I could see myself putting back a few of these in a session.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sampled this Beer in it's new format, 12oz regular bottles.

Appearance: Black Cherry cola red, with only a microfilm of white head.

Smell: Malty sweet, subdued alcohol overtone (not surprising as this one clocks in only at 5%ABV) with a dash of citrusy hop to close it off.

Taste: Nice round caramel malt flavor that really pops at first, it almost comes off as maple toffee. Pretty rich and round flavor, the aftertaste is chocolatey, it reminded me of Yoohoo or chocolate Ovaltine. I liked it! The bottle says scotch ale, but it's way too lightweight for that, but it certainly is a smooth and sessionable scottish ale.

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear brown color ale with a small off-white foamy head with limited retention. Aroma of nutty caramel malt is a bit weak. Taste of caramel and toffee malt is dominant but a bit weak for the style. Body is a bit watery and carbonation lively. Overall, this is not something that I would seek again and it is pretty mediocre for the style.

3.16/5  rDev -6.8%

Nice appearance, dark yellow-brown color. First scotch ale I drank so I'm not sure where this beer is when compared to other same beer style.

I would say this is not my favorite beer style. Drinkable. However, I would say that one drink is enough. Wouldn't drink two of those in the same night.

Not much head and sadly I can't remember the scent I got. That's why I gave it a 3.0 but will try again and get a piece of paper to write down my tasting experience!!

Will try it some other day since I do have 2 more bottles!

Served in a 3 pistoles chalise at somewhere around 12-14 celcius.

Nice brew from Micro-Brasserie L'Alchimiste. Light stottich caramel flavor. Fair aroma, not overwhelming. Good carbonisation. I hope my atemps to homebrewing this type of beer will yield similar results. Low ABV makes you want to keep another handy.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a dark red/brown colour with a large creamy light brown head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing, and there is some faint lacing. The head stuck around for several minutes it dissipated.

Smell - roasted malts, a rustiness, toasted nuts, a smokiness

Taste & Mouth - There is an okay mouthfeel; might need a little more carbonation. There is an odd flavour that I can't quite put my finger on, but my best description would be a rustiness mixed with lemon juice. There is also a strong toasted/roasted and smoky flavour with lots of malts and slight caramel. It finishes with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Drink - Worth a try, not my favorite though.

3.02/5  rDev -10.9%

2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

3.09/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to manaryp for bringing this west.

Not much of a looker, an opaque brown, with a half finger light tan head that quickly dissipates and leaves no lacings. The aroma is a step up from the appearance, with scents of toffee, a peat like earthiness, floral accents, hints of wood, dark fruits, and cocoa.

Tasted much like the nose, toffee and some diacetyl, a slightly strange (for the style) twangy and mildly phenolic "smokey peatiness". Not sure if this is derived from fermentation byproducts or the use of peated malt. Slightly tart and finishes with what i can only describe as grape Kool-Aid.

Light to medium bodied, watery, yet finishes with a powdery feel. Some interesting flavours, and some that are slightly off, that dont quite come together to make a cohesive brew.

Fairly refreshing, but then again i have a soft spot for grape Kool-Aid, reminding me of my more or less carefree childhood. Since i can get around that aspect of this brew i would even find it sessionable, although the powdery grape Kool-Aid finish may be too much for some or even most beer drinkers.

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Scotch/Scottish Ale is one of my favorite style but this one just comes out short. Nice ruby color, but the taste is too weak for my palate. Not a bad beer, but definitely not an impressive one.

3.83/5  rDev +13%

341 ml bottle.

A- Good orange tinged head that slowly settles to a thin foam and some lacing. Good bubbliness. Nice dark coppery red colour with slight purple highlights. Very attractive beer.

S- Caramel and roasted malts. Butterscotch. Touch of fruit (raisin).

T- Malt dominates with caramel and some dried fruit. Could be stronger flavoured. Butterscotch starts to come through a bit as the beer warms.

MF- Good bodied malty ale. Carbonation a bit high.

D- Very easy to drink but would benefit from a stronger flavour. Good beer overall.

3.31/5  rDev -2.4%

Purchased at Metro Johanette while in Montreal for Mondial!

Pours a clear red/brown, very thick tan head, settles down to a thin layer, nice lacing, looks pretty good. Smell is very sweet, floral, almost perfumy, caramel notes, bit of roast, sugary sweet, very fruity. Taste is sweet and fruity too, caramel, floral, some toffee roast in the finish, lingering sweetness, almost cloying. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation, almost astringent in the mouthfeel, carbonation is a little high, and too sweet in the finish. Pretty drinkable though.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm not too familiar with the Scottish ale style but this was an enjoyable beer. It is a reddish-brown color with not too much head. It has a nice roasted flavor and is not too heavy on the carbonation.

It was a nice beer. My only recommendation is that they put more information on the labels of their beers. The name of the beer is listed but no information about the brewery. Someone would have to do research to find out who brewed it.

I think they're a new brewery so I'm sure they'll iron out those kinks in the future.

4.77/5  rDev +40.7%

Oh, lord, this goes down way too easy. I could not get enough. This is beautiful. Clear auburn with a creme-colored head that is not big, but laces well. The smell is awesome and strong - molasses and all kinds of nuts and caramel and toffee and earthiness. Very appealing. Medium body comes across so smoothly with just a hint of slickness and sweetness. Again, very nutty in a wonderful way, but not weighed down with too much going on - remains open and bright without overhopping. Even a little alcohol comes across at 5%! This is awesome, and, for me, leads this style.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast