El Lapino - Microbrasserie du Lièvre

El LapinoEl Lapino

awful

Microbrasserie du Lièvre visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Chile Beer |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Tim2000 on 09-15-2006)

4.9/5  rDev +224.5%

I generally don't give a good note to such beer, but in that case, if you understand what this beer is all about, you'll probably change your mind. Many people see this beer as a serious beer which is supposed to taste like beer. It's quite the opposite. It's pretty much the beer you challenge someone to drink because it's so spicy. Imagine what if would be like to drink a bottle of tabasco, but as a beer. Now, try this beer again. It's really perfect in this context. Otherwise, don't drink it.

1.25/5  rDev -17.2%

1.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Big thanks goes out to oldp0rt for sending me this one as an extra in a recent trade! Attached note to bottle said, “Why the f**k would you have this in your wants? Enjoy I guess. I dare you to drink half to yourself and eat the pepper!” CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!! Served from bottle into La Fin Du Monde tulip. Poured a hazy golden yellow-orange with a huge massively fizzy sounding off-white that exploded once hitting the glass but settled to none very quickly. Oh yeah, there was a pepper floating around in it too. Can’t forget that. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, grain, corn, and pepper (obviously). The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, wheat, spice, and very spicy pepper on the followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. HOLY SHIT! This thing is spicy! I really went into this one not expecting it to be too bad as I usually eat jalapeños and there isn’t really much heat when I do so. The flavor is definitely there but the way it comes on it kind of intense. Maybe I need to start eating spicy food all the time again??? Granted this isn’t a good substitute by any means as the flavors going on really aren’t the appealing even to a spicy food lover. Worth trying to say that you have done, but definitely an even better trick to play on an unsuspecting victim. If you do try this, don’t expect to like it however. You have been warned AND informed. Knowing is half the battle!

Also, once again I ate the pepper. Why do I do this to myself!? This pepper actually still had some heat left to it. A lot was gone and replaced with a huge earthy note. Do not eat the pepper. Trust me.

1.05/5  rDev -30.5%

Alright where to begin. Saw this beer at the store and like probably everyone else who saw and bought this thought it would be cool to try a jalapeno beer. That was the first mistake.

Poured the bottle into three even glasses, the beer was amber in color (with a pepper that came out of it) So one of us was lucky enough to have a pepper in the glass.

Next would be the smell, usually beers have nice smells that make you want to take that first sip. Not this one! All you can smell as soon as you uncap this one is a powerful aroma of jalapeno and nothing else.

As you get your nose closer and closer to the cup for that first sip, you begin to feel sick to your stomach. The first sip feels hot on your lips and your throat as you swallow it. The beer pretty much burns all the way down. Tried to go for a second sip but the smell made me want to vomit. This is where it ended for me. Not many beers get dumped but this one didn't even deserve to be tasted in the first place.

Final thoughts - Avoid this beer! All the reviews say it and it's true. I don't even know why they still sell this one but one thing's for sure, I'm never buying this one again.

2.08/5  rDev +37.7%

341ml bottle poured into a Charles Wells mini pint. I remember having one about a year ago and having a hard time finishing it so I'm kind of scared to take my first sip.

L-Hyperactive head died down to nothing incredibly quickly - like a chemical reaction. Hazy pale yellow. Lots of bubbles.
S- Jalapeno pepper. Sweet malt.
T- Strong jalapeno pepper but not too spicy. A little malt.
M- Okay mouthfeel.
D- I don't want to take another sip. Ever.

Man. This is terrible. Kudos for doing it. But they could've made it drinkable.

1.9/5  rDev +25.8%

Before opening, you'l be intrigue by the nice big chili pepper inside the bottle and floating ontop of the beer. Once opened, this is another story...

Poured golden coloured, this beer revealed itself without any head whatsoever. Looks flat to me.

Nose: Pils with a strong nose of green pepper. Spicy chili pepper comes second to me.

Mouth: A regular pils with STRONG chili pepper notes. This dominates everything else. Not balanced at all. Carbonation is nearly absent.Taste like spicy chili flavoured chips!

Aftertaste: Chili again. Never ending spicy taste.

Overall: Have a good dose of courage to finish this beer. if you're a kind of drinker that likes to experiment, then go for it, otherwise, avoid.

1.15/5  rDev -23.8%

Bottle from HogtownHarry! Thanks Harry! This one is a deep gold beer, with a fizzy tiny bubbled head with decent length. Smells of a jelapeo peppers, cayenne even, with some malts. SHIT, this is spicy! Harry, what are you trying to do to me? Undrinlably spicy and prppery flavours mixed in with corn water. FInishes poorly, spicing up my mouth. I sipped this for an hour, and still had 3/4 of a bottle left, then two other people tried it, and there was still half a bottle left.Argh.

2.1/5  rDev +39.1%

Ah... the chile beer. For the record, I love chile peppers and I love hot food. I also love beer. I do not love this.

A - Pours a hazy light amber with a fizzy head that foams and dissipates in a matter of seconds, leaving only an olive green whole chile pepper. I'm vaguely horrified.

S - Peppery.

T/M - Spicy both in the mouth and throat. Some sweetness and a hefty berry presence. I actually taste some pepper though- it's not just spicy. I can't say that pepper is a good beer flavour though.

D - Well... It is what it is. IF you happen to like mixing pepper and bland beer this is your ticket. I couldn't drink a lot of this, nor would I want to. The morning after would be hell...

1.08/5  rDev -28.5%

Whoah...who thought of this one!?!

I had a friend pass this on to me after I scored him a sixer of 60 Min IPA. It's ironic how diametrically opposed these two beers are...

Appearance: If I saw this beer from about 5 feet away I would assume that this was a decent looking beer. A nice cloudiness that was very effervescent. Up close however I noticed that it has small pepper seeds floating in it.

Smell: Burned my nostrils when I smelled it. Heavy overwhelming notes of sour chilis.

Taste: Like a jalepeno. Burned going down and I suspect coming out...whichever exit that it might choose.

Mouthfeel: Pretty watery..like a macro.

Drinkability: I'm not sure I will get through one.

1.1/5  rDev -27.2%

341ml brown bottle

beer with a jalapeno chile inside.

A: blonde color with some hue, no head at all, so no head retention.
S: strong chile smell,
T: awfull taste of jalapeno juice, it burns the tongue and the stomach.
M: liquid,
D: no interest, we were 5 on the same bottle and we didn't finished it

1.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A - light slightly hazy blonde, with no head and tons of carbonation. Complete with a jalepeno pepper.
S - Smells quite peppery, but not unpleasant. No other smells I can detect.
T - A slight bit of sweet maltiness starts, but is quickly overpowered by severe burning sensations. That is all.
M - 'Burning' is the only word that can describe.
D - None. I had to throw it out after a few sips. I was getting indigestion.

1.35/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured out an orangey gold color, with no head whatsoever, looks like decent carbonation though. The nose was like pure pepper juice or pepper oil. Every time I go in for a whiff, I scream like a little girl. I split a bottle with a friend, we're having a hard time getting past the nose. neither of us wants to dirnk it. It's become a double dog dare. Damn, ok, here I go. The first words out of my mouth were: wow, this is some horrendous horseshit. I can't ever fully describe this beer. I had half a sip and almost induced vommiting. this is punishment beer. Make people pay for their mistakes by drinking this. Someone sleeps with your sister, make them drink this.

Bottle: Poured an orangey/yellowish ale with absolutely no carbonation. Aroma of hot jalapeno is completely dominant. Taste is way too hot for my taste bud with what can only be describe as liquid hot jalapenos. Complete drain pour and again I see no point in drinking this again.

341 mL brown bottle, bottled 6 months ago.

Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with no head at all and a chile in it.

Smells like peppers.

Tastes like peppers.

No spiciness, just a weird vegetable taste and some sweet malt. No sign of any hops. Mouthfeel is watery and almost flat.

I had a very hard time finishing this beer. It really doesn't have a whole lot going for it. I even tasted the brownish chile pepper floating in it and it was slimy and nauseating. Definitely a novelty beer. Not recommended. Actually, I don't think it could be much worse.

El Lapino from Microbrasserie du Lièvre