L'IPA Du Lièvre - Microbrasserie du Lièvre

L'IPA Du LièvreL'IPA Du Lièvre

good

good

Microbrasserie du Lièvre visit their website
Quebec, Canada

(Beer added by: 3Vandoo on 08-25-2007)
Reviews by 3Vandoo:

Well I was in a mood for some hops and IPA. I went to my hiding spot, no nore IPA, only some belgian or british styles, Im like "hmmm" I need hops! So I went out to buy some IPA, I was faced with three choices, and two of them I consume too often, so I took this one.

App: Golden limpid, with shy amber hues strike, great foamy head, very generous head that stays for a long long time.

Smell is hoppy, citrus, floral and piney, not too overwhelming just ok, with a shy finish of caramel.

Taste is at first bitter, followed by a oily feeling and piney, citrus and hoppy flavours. Unbalanced between hops and malt, but has a small malty finish to it.

Nothing to brag about, a good and fair IPA

3Vandoo, Aug 25, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Todd, Dec 23, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +28.8%

I love this beer, seek it out when I am in Montreal, and I felt that it deserved at least one A review.

It is a very unique interpretation of an IPA, however. There is a definite caramel character, bordering on reminding me of an Oktoberfest beer at times, in the flavor. It is certainly hoppy, but a far cry from the most aggressive American IPAs. Those are among my favorites, too, but someone expecting something along the lines of Stone IPA is going to be surprised by this one.

I've noticed that there can be a somewhat loose association between names and actual style in Quebec beers. Nevertheless, Quebec produces a disproportionate amount of good beer.

I suspect that freshness may be critical with this beer. That's ironic given that IPA was a style invented for hard traveling. Nevertheless, I must note that I've always had it noticeably fresh, and that may make a difference.

hlance, Dec 25, 2009

DannyBaldoni, Jul 21, 2014
3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

A huge head on grapefuit golden colour. Something citrus in aroma. There is an orange taste and piney and hop oil, and a lot of malt. Not an overwhelming hoppy American IPA at all. Mouthfeel is average.This is a huge bottle, can I start off with something smaller? So I waited until two other volunteers to help out, but we could not finish.

Sammy, Sep 21, 2008
1.2/5  rDev -65.1%

Tommy9898, Sep 04, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Draft: Poured a light copper color ale with a small foamy head. Aroma of light bitter hosp with some malt presence. Taste is a nice aroma of bitter hops with light dry caramel malt in the background. Taste is also a nice enough mix between some bitter hops with a caramel malt backbone. I though this was lacking in hops but still refreshing and without any flaws.

Phyl21ca, May 15, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -41%

1L swing-top bottle purchased from Épicerie Au Coin Duluth in Montreal. Appears to be bottled in May '11, so not as fresh as I would like.

Paper label attached to the bottle calls it simply "IPA" not "l'IPA"....

Poured in to Duvel tulip glass at 46F.

A - Poured a translucent medium amber/orange colour with a ridiculous amount of head (despite a VERY slow pour) that filled over half of the glass and had to be scooped off with a spoon.

S - An off-putting nose initially with a slightly sour smell. I wondered if this was bad but there is also evidence of an IPA here with some bitterness evident along with some floral notes but not much else.

T - Not as bad as the nose indicated. Some bitter floral hop notes are evident along with a slight malt sweetness. The sour/funky smell that was in the nose is evident in the palate as well, but to a lesser extent. That said, it is present enough to be off-putting and distract the palate from any of the other flavours that are present. The finish is dry and bitter with that soury taste lingering slightly.

M - WAY over carbonated, which was evident from the pop of the swing top.

O - Very disappointing. This ended up being a $12 drain pour. Given the size of the bottle, I would have liked a beer that was at least enjoyable enough to finish.

TheSevenDuffs, Sep 09, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

Tasted on May 2nd, 2009. Was the third time I had this one. Not a bad IPA. Quite nice.

Appearance: Copper color with some haziness... however very light haziness.
Smell: Hops. Nice pine hops smell. Smell is of medium intensity.
Taste: Again, just like the smell... hops! Taste is light however something unexpected for an IPA. However, I've heard that this is the moto of this brewery... nothing too aggressive.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with a light texture...
Drinkability: Well I down this 1 liter beer quite easily so it is very drinkable.

This IPA is not very aggressive however, the hops presence is there. I really like the taste and the smell. This is one truly good beer in my opinion. Wish they would do a 6-pack of it.

ZorPrime, May 30, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -1.2%

This ones a gusher (even more than some of the Jolly Pumpkin beers I have had) half the bottle is lost to foam, thats not a good sign. All the foam makes for a good looking beer once it settles. Has a copper color and great lacing.

The beer smells of caramel malts, light floral hops and then a big unpleasant metallic scent.

I will have to try this beer again sometime in the future cause I am almost positive my bottle is off or old. Tastes a little bland, sweet toasted malts and a mild hop bitterness. I can only hope that their Imperial is better.

irishkyle21, Sep 02, 2008

mbonugli, Jun 16, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +22.7%

I really have nothing bad to say about this beer. It looks great pouring out of the bottle, leaving a thick head. Beautiful dark amber colour. It smells just as good as it looks, with strong bread and malt notes along with a little spice.

I can tell right off the bat that I'll be buying this beer again. What a wonderful mix of malt and hops. The bitterness is much stronger than the sweetness, which is exactly how an IPA should be. They're in perfect harmony. Wow.

Slightly oily, but not overly so. Very creamy. Dry finish. I'm plowing through this beer, so its gotta score well on the drinkability.

Overall, its worth going out of your way to find this one.

Cheers!

Intrinsic, Feb 09, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into a glass from 1L bottle

This is one of the better beers i've tasted from Micro Du Lievre. This beer would probably have a stronger hop taste to it if it was fresher. Bought it on Sept 9th and it was bottled in March.

Amber in color with a thick white head. A lot of carbonation but not overly so.

I was hoping for a hoppier beer but it was good anyways. I would drink it again for sure but not if i have to pay for it. 10$ bottle is a little steep for this beer.

oldp0rt, Sep 17, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +7%

A: Perfectly transluscent, nice white full and strong head. Nice lacing.

S: A nice dose of grassy, piny and grapefruit hops. A bit mineral. Some underlying sweetness. Not very strong smell.

T: Don't know if the bottle is old but the hops are not very stong here. Some piny and grapefruit hops mostly. Lots of bread and heavy non sweet malts. Caramel and brown sugar are very light. Still a bit mineral.

M: My definition of the ideal feel for an IPA. Medium body, but very smooth with just a bit of stingy carbonation. Very very nice.

D: Very high. Taste is low and somewhat enjoyable, feel is great. Nothing to stop me.

flipper2gv, Mar 13, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Triat00, Jul 27, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

I have to wonder if I was drinking the same beer the other reviewers were rating here.

1liter swing top bottle.

Decadent clouded orange-copper ale with a sticky 3 finger puffy cap that lasts and laces.

Aromas of fresh grapefruit rind and fresh baked bread waft up from the mug...glorious!

Rich chewy mouth feel, ample medium body, well balanced hoppy-malty character.

Big chew on bread malts in the front, minimal sweetness and caramel but very fresh and bready...instant balance with long boil and infused hops...citrus, cedar, spruce bittering balances the big malt and mixes with the fruity esters...substantial finish,... long, lightly bittering with a biscuit and metal after taste.

This APA rocks! not so much for being "bigger" than the popular PacNW APAs and DIPAs...but for being well put together and well executed...and very drinkable....exquisite balance which is rare in big ales these days.

pootz, Oct 09, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -7%

Bottle from Marche Omni. From notes.

A - Poured a light copper with a slight haze. Mild carbonation. Half finger of white head gone fast. No retention except for a small ring. No lace.

S - Mango, tropical fruit, bread.

T - Mild caramel, mild tropical fruit. A brown sugar note and perhaps further tropical or citrus fruit.

M - Mild carbonation, medium body, not overly bitter.

O/D - Good, but not for the style. Not a strong IPA. Tasty, yet lacking classic characteristics of the style. The 1L bottle would be too much for one person.

tbeckett, Nov 20, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Christian_Champagne, Aug 09, 2014

Molson2000, Sep 13, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

bouteille brune de 1 litre

très belle couleur cuivrée, belle mousse, nez agréable de houblon, d'agrume, en bouche elle a beaucoup de tenue, goût prononcé de houblon, d'agrume (citronné), l'amertume prononcé et bel équilibre j'aime ce genre de produit.

rodenbach99, Nov 29, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Overly carbonated, an overflow on an easy pour, loads of sea foam froth, thick sticky patches of head that cling to the glass, caramel to tea brown - 3.50, S: Lots of bready aromas with a solid smattering of caramel, also smells quite earthy and somewhat like wet wood, the nose also has a slight hint of metal or possibly wet cardboard - is this oxidizing?? - without a bottling date it is hard to know - 3.00, T: Hops are present and the bitterness is noticeable, quite a bit of caramel malts, some green leafiness, not a taste profile for which I particularly care or that I think works - 2.50, M: Medium bodied - 3.00, D: I'm a huge fan of IPAs and this one came highly regarded from the store where I bought it but this really missed the mark in my opinion, again, I'm not sure if oxidization has set in or if this is part of the flavor profile, I would not drink this beer again - 2.00

deereless, Jul 29, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

M-girard, Jul 04, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

on-tap in Chambly

amber color, translucide, medium carbonation. white heAD foam, that stick to the glass

smell caramel, hop, herbs..

taste is a mix between ipa and a rousse, you,ve got tha caramel and malty side on one side and the hop with the bitterness on the other

mouthfeel: everything mixed together, it is quite smooth, medium body low carbonation

drinkability is good