Microbrew Invitational

Brewmaster's Black LagerBrewmaster's Black Lager

Okanagan Spring Brewery
British Columbia, Canada | website

Style: Schwarzbier

This unique style of beer was introduced for all those who love their beer a little darker and a little bolder. Rich in colour & flavour, our Brewmaster’s Black Lager finishes crisp and clean.

Added by BDTyre on 10-05-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 68
3.45/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep clear black color ale with a large light brown color head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of light roasted malt with nice caramel touch. Taste is also a good mix between light bitter roasted malt with some good notes of caramel. Body is a bit thin with good carbonation. Not the most complex beer out there but interesting nonetheless.

3.44/5  rDev -9.9%

A fairly decent offering from OK Spring, a brewery I usually don't pay much attention to.

Black-ruby colour with a coffee-and-cream head. The scent is metal and overly bitter hops. Taste is far better: traces of chocolate and coffee, and combined with sweet malts. The hops are done just right, and provide a decent, low-lever bitterness.

Smooth carbonation, and very enjoyable. One of my favourite OK Spring beers.

3.17/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Purchased from a sampler. Pours a very fizzy black not unlike coca cola with two fingers of beige head. Smells malty with some burnt marshmallow notes, and I'm also making out some coffee here too. Pours very thick, though it doesn't feel that way in the mouth. Mouthfeel is very smooth, but you get some carbonation on the tongue for sure. Taste is not as great as I would have wanted. I'm tasting some coffee, but it's not bitter, just somewhat unpleasant. Aftertaste is sour, although this may be attributed to the bottle being in my fridge for six months. I'll try a fresher bottle when I can, but if the next one is like this, I'm not making a repeat purchase.

Looks and smells great though.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last