Apricot Summer Weizen - Okanagan Spring Brewery

Okanagan Spring Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Inspired by the bountiful orchards of BC’s Southern Interior, our Brewmaster has created this deliciously original recipe. An unfiltered wheat ale with the subtle flavour of apricot, it pairs well with all things summer.

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 04-19-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by CalgaryFMC:
3.18/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a bottle fetched from a "summer" mixed pack into a shaker pint glass. A coppery orange color, close to light brown, with an aggressive billowing white head that broke quickly. Aroma is detectable and fairly strong apricot with some bruised apple and a generic stale peppery spice. Little else for individually identifiable components, smells like a very fruity low hop wheat beer. Tastes like sour peach gummy candies, maybe hints of lime and mango, and some sweet bready malts that combine with the fruit notes to yield something like a apple fritter effect, albeit a subtle one. Rather buttery, coating mouthfeel which is odd considering the aggressive carbonation. Apricots do not taste this obvious when included in a mash or added during fermentation, even when used in large quantities. These guys must have added a ton of juice or flavor extract into the brew at the end of the process. I am not wild about this approach. The result resembles a vaguely beery peach/apricot soda or cooler. Could appeal to diehard fruit beer fans but I shall steer clear.

3.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The newest offering from this brewery - an ode to the Okanagan's orchard-heavy history, apparently. A pint at a downtown Edmonchuk 'English' pub that I finally tried out, even though it's only about 3 blocks from my place. Orange slice immediately removed, to be enjoyed later, separately.

This beer appears a very cloudy, medium golden orange hue, with one fat finger of puffy, shiny, and foamy off-white head, which sits there for a surprisingly long time, before slowly seeping away, leaving some consistent tight webbed lace around the glass. A stately-looking beer, I gotta say!

It smells strongly of sweet peach/apricot fruitiness, a mild wheaty graininess, very faint earthy hops, and a soft edgy warming. The taste is semi-sweet apricot puree, a testy, wheaty doughiness, some further blended orchard fruitiness, though a tad more astringent, with some menthol-esque notes wedging their way in. Any hops register at a hollow leafy echo, at best.

The carbonation is quite reserved, but not totally absent, the body a struggling medium weight, but smoothly genial, overall. It finishes a fair bit less sweet, with more of the fleshy, vegetal side of the guest star ingredient becoming evident.

A beer that rides a consistent downwards curve throughout its life-cycle, from tap to the last glug - good thing that it started off at a pretty lofty perch, then, I would suggest. Sweet fruit, middling underlying wheat ale, and then gritty fruit remainders. Too procedural seeming, and not enough blending or integration, so I think the one is enough for me.

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

1.93/5  rDev -35%

I've hard other apricot flavoured beers which tasted fine, but this Apricot Summer Weizen tasted very artificial and I could barely finish a bottle. My 2 other buddies agreed and I ended dumping 3 other bottles down the drain, I could'nt drink it.
Maybe I got a bad batch or it sat at the liquor store too long, but I was seriously disappointed.

4.23/5  rDev +42.4%

A- Pours a beautiful coppery gold color and there is tinges of orange in the background. The head is super white, and starts off around 2 fingers thick before settling down to a nice creamy layer of foam over the brew. The lacing is moderately decent, with only small patches of foam clinging to the side of the glass...it appears to be slightly watery but I won't hold this against the beer seeing as it's meant as a thirst-quencher.

S- The aromas are a great blend of sweet malt, apricot flesh as well as a more bitter smell of the pit itself, and spiciness. I think there is some modest, yet noticeable hints of hop bitterness hiding in the background as well. Overall, a nice natural smelling brew!

T- The flavors follow the aromas quite well....I get an overall sense of the apricot essence, with fresh tastes of the fruit flesh and/or juice. This is balanced well by barley and wheat malt, providing a fresh sweetness that adds richness to the overall flavor. There is some bitterness on the end, but it comes more from the apricot pit than from hop cones....it is more of a drying bitterness. Again, this is a very natural tasting fruit based wheat beer!

M- Thin bodied, which is actually appreciated here, while enjoying this in the hot sun! The carbonation is crisp too, giving my palate a need for more....there is a drying sensation right at the end that quenches my thirst but keeps me coming back for another sip!

O- I find this to be a great summer beer to enjoy! It has just the right amount of fruitiness, sweetness and a dry finish which is what, in my opinion, a hot weather brew should contain! I recommend this one to anybody and am glad I got to try it! I hope this is a yearly seasonal by Okanagan Spring!

1.5/5  rDev -49.5%

The apricot was over powering. It tasted more like pop than beer. Really disliked this beer.

2.96/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 355ml bottle. Pours a cloudy yellowish orange colour. The word "apricot" on the label may be small (almost hidden), but the aroma and taste are pronounced in this hefeweizen. The nose is also very floral and perfumey with none of the classic hefe notes. Taste is similarly strongly redolent of apricot and flowers. A bit unbalanced, but certainly recommended for people who like their fruit beer to taste quite fruity.

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.35/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

341 mL bottle from a sampler 12-pack picked up at The Beer Store; bottled Feb. 24 2014. I remember trying a non-flavoured hefe from these guys many years ago and rather enjoying it, so I'm going into this one with my hopes up. Served well-chilled.

This one pours a hazy golden-orange colour, generating a thin layer of white head that wastes no time fizzling away into nothingness. A thin collar and some wisps on the surface remain. Mild aroma, which immediately tells you what you're in for - wheaty pale malt sweetness, apricot and red berries, with sour fuzzy peach candy also coming through.

I was starting to get a little wary, but after a few sips my worries evaporate - this is a nice, refreshing, light summer fruit beer. While a grainy pale wheat malt sweetness dominates at first, it is soon overtaken by a large dose of apricot flavour. It's obviously an extract of some sort, but it works out about as well as could be hoped. Tangy finish, with some fuzzy peach and cherry vibes. Fairly clean aftertaste. This pale wheat ale is light-bodied and quite fizzy, which is exactly the kind of mouthfeel I want from a lighter summer drink. Very easy to drink quickly; I could see myself easily getting through a sixer of these on a hot afternoon.

Final Grade: 3.35, a B-. Okanagan Springs' Apricot Summer Weizen is one of the better apricot-flavoured fruit beers I've tried, and a passable option for anyone seeking out a fruity, refreshing session beer for the impending summer months. I'm not a big fruit beer drinker, but I'd consider picking this up again if I were in the mood. Not bad; fans of St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale and Kronenbourg White might find this one worth a look or two.

3.48/5  rDev +17.2%

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

2.75/5  rDev -7.4%

1.81/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I opened the bottle, took a sip, i couldn't believe a beer could taste so bad. It's like i had poured a bottle of cologne in my mouth. I didn't feel like being a party pooper so i didn't rate it under 1.75, but it deserve to be banned from the market.

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a cloudy peach colour with a 1/2 finger width of bubbly white head.

Smell- Apricots, slight peach aroma, cherries. (fruits of the orchard), and something that reminds of a lozenge.

Taste- Apricot and cherries are predominate followed by the wheat to balance this brew out. You get a bit of that lozenge.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall- A summery limited edition by Okanagan. Reminds me of my days spent in the orchard. I don't know why I pick up that lozenge flavour but maybe its from the cherries. Besides the fact, still an enjoyable offering and worth a try.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »