Apricot Summer Weizen - Okanagan Spring Brewery

Okanagan Spring Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Inspired by the bountiful orchards of BC’s Southern Interior, our Brewmaster has created this deliciously original recipe. An unfiltered wheat ale with the subtle flavour of apricot, it pairs well with all things summer.

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 04-19-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by wizo:

wizo, Apr 19, 2014

cam477, Jun 07, 2014

beerhunter13, Mar 23, 2014
3.45/5  rDev +15%

The newest offering from this brewery - an ode to the Okanagan's orchard-heavy history, apparently. A pint at a downtown Edmonchuk 'English' pub that I finally tried out, even though it's only about 3 blocks from my place. Orange slice immediately removed, to be enjoyed later, separately.

This beer appears a very cloudy, medium golden orange hue, with one fat finger of puffy, shiny, and foamy off-white head, which sits there for a surprisingly long time, before slowly seeping away, leaving some consistent tight webbed lace around the glass. A stately-looking beer, I gotta say!

It smells strongly of sweet peach/apricot fruitiness, a mild wheaty graininess, very faint earthy hops, and a soft edgy warming. The taste is semi-sweet apricot puree, a testy, wheaty doughiness, some further blended orchard fruitiness, though a tad more astringent, with some menthol-esque notes wedging their way in. Any hops register at a hollow leafy echo, at best.

The carbonation is quite reserved, but not totally absent, the body a struggling medium weight, but smoothly genial, overall. It finishes a fair bit less sweet, with more of the fleshy, vegetal side of the guest star ingredient becoming evident.

A beer that rides a consistent downwards curve throughout its life-cycle, from tap to the last glug - good thing that it started off at a pretty lofty perch, then, I would suggest. Sweet fruit, middling underlying wheat ale, and then gritty fruit remainders. Too procedural seeming, and not enough blending or integration, so I think the one is enough for me.

biboergosum, Apr 19, 2012

Griffith, Jan 27, 2014

CWVegas, Sep 15, 2013

MalcolmJames, Sep 07, 2012

KevinCraft, Jul 18, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -35.7%

I've hard other apricot flavoured beers which tasted fine, but this Apricot Summer Weizen tasted very artificial and I could barely finish a bottle. My 2 other buddies agreed and I ended dumping 3 other bottles down the drain, I could'nt drink it.
Maybe I got a bad batch or it sat at the liquor store too long, but I was seriously disappointed.

NinVic, May 20, 2012

1stOffender, Jul 18, 2013

Danielr26, Jun 27, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +41%

A- Pours a beautiful coppery gold color and there is tinges of orange in the background. The head is super white, and starts off around 2 fingers thick before settling down to a nice creamy layer of foam over the brew. The lacing is moderately decent, with only small patches of foam clinging to the side of the glass...it appears to be slightly watery but I won't hold this against the beer seeing as it's meant as a thirst-quencher.

S- The aromas are a great blend of sweet malt, apricot flesh as well as a more bitter smell of the pit itself, and spiciness. I think there is some modest, yet noticeable hints of hop bitterness hiding in the background as well. Overall, a nice natural smelling brew!

T- The flavors follow the aromas quite well....I get an overall sense of the apricot essence, with fresh tastes of the fruit flesh and/or juice. This is balanced well by barley and wheat malt, providing a fresh sweetness that adds richness to the overall flavor. There is some bitterness on the end, but it comes more from the apricot pit than from hop cones....it is more of a drying bitterness. Again, this is a very natural tasting fruit based wheat beer!

M- Thin bodied, which is actually appreciated here, while enjoying this in the hot sun! The carbonation is crisp too, giving my palate a need for more....there is a drying sensation right at the end that quenches my thirst but keeps me coming back for another sip!

O- I find this to be a great summer beer to enjoy! It has just the right amount of fruitiness, sweetness and a dry finish which is what, in my opinion, a hot weather brew should contain! I recommend this one to anybody and am glad I got to try it! I hope this is a yearly seasonal by Okanagan Spring!

ChrisCage, Aug 31, 2012
2.96/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 355ml bottle. Pours a cloudy yellowish orange colour. The word "apricot" on the label may be small (almost hidden), but the aroma and taste are pronounced in this hefeweizen. The nose is also very floral and perfumey with none of the classic hefe notes. Taste is similarly strongly redolent of apricot and flowers. A bit unbalanced, but certainly recommended for people who like their fruit beer to taste quite fruity.

CookstLiquor, Apr 25, 2013

Birdlegs, Apr 28, 2012

Vandelayindustri, May 27, 2012
3.35/5  rDev +11.7%

341 mL bottle from a sampler 12-pack picked up at The Beer Store; bottled Feb. 24 2014. I remember trying a non-flavoured hefe from these guys many years ago and rather enjoying it, so I'm going into this one with my hopes up. Served well-chilled.

This one pours a hazy golden-orange colour, generating a thin layer of white head that wastes no time fizzling away into nothingness. A thin collar and some wisps on the surface remain. Mild aroma, which immediately tells you what you're in for - wheaty pale malt sweetness, apricot and red berries, with sour fuzzy peach candy also coming through.

I was starting to get a little wary, but after a few sips my worries evaporate - this is a nice, refreshing, light summer fruit beer. While a grainy pale wheat malt sweetness dominates at first, it is soon overtaken by a large dose of apricot flavour. It's obviously an extract of some sort, but it works out about as well as could be hoped. Tangy finish, with some fuzzy peach and cherry vibes. Fairly clean aftertaste. This pale wheat ale is light-bodied and quite fizzy, which is exactly the kind of mouthfeel I want from a lighter summer drink. Very easy to drink quickly; I could see myself easily getting through a sixer of these on a hot afternoon.

Final Grade: 3.35, a B-. Okanagan Springs' Apricot Summer Weizen is one of the better apricot-flavoured fruit beers I've tried, and a passable option for anyone seeking out a fruity, refreshing session beer for the impending summer months. I'm not a big fruit beer drinker, but I'd consider picking this up again if I were in the mood. Not bad; fans of St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale and Kronenbourg White might find this one worth a look or two.

thehyperduck, Apr 18, 2014
3.48/5  rDev +16%

Quotashun, Aug 21, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +25%

bumchilly25, May 11, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Ericbeech_87, Jun 23, 2014
1.81/5  rDev -39.7%

I opened the bottle, took a sip, i couldn't believe a beer could taste so bad. It's like i had poured a bottle of cologne in my mouth. I didn't feel like being a party pooper so i didn't rate it under 1.75, but it deserve to be banned from the market.

ChoseLa, Jun 11, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +25%

joefinnigan15, Aug 18, 2013

Kmat10, May 20, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance- Pours a cloudy peach colour with a 1/2 finger width of bubbly white head.

Smell- Apricots, slight peach aroma, cherries. (fruits of the orchard), and something that reminds of a lozenge.

Taste- Apricot and cherries are predominate followed by the wheat to balance this brew out. You get a bit of that lozenge.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall- A summery limited edition by Okanagan. Reminds me of my days spent in the orchard. I don't know why I pick up that lozenge flavour but maybe its from the cherries. Besides the fact, still an enjoyable offering and worth a try.

leaddog, Apr 30, 2012

341ml bottle poured into tulip 28/6/14

A cloudy orange liquid, three fingers of foam lasts for a few sips leaving a few polka dots for lace

S apricots, peaches, floral perfume, wheat and Iced tea powder

T more grains, faint banana, a little white pepper of all things, not far from the smell, simple but decent

M lighter side of medium, fluffs up from the bubbles, grainy finish overpowers the fruit somehow

O nothing to write home about but I wouldn't turn one down under a hot sun, keeps my wife drinking beer so that's a plus...I guess

I thought the rating was pretty low on this one, then I noticed all the lowest ratings were by people who rated this beer and nothing else. A strange coincidence? or does a loan rebel have a strange hate on for this beer?

wordemupg, Jun 29, 2014