Apricot Summer Weizen - Okanagan Spring Brewery

Okanagan Spring Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Inspired by the bountiful orchards of BC’s Southern Interior, our Brewmaster has created this deliciously original recipe. An unfiltered wheat ale with the subtle flavour of apricot, it pairs well with all things summer.

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 04-19-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Kmat10, May 20, 2013
1.45/5  rDev -51.7%

Quite possibly one the the worst beers I have ever had. When I bought it I didn't see the word "Apricot" on the can. It's almost as if they were trying to hide the word. So it was a little misleading and probably why I gave it a low score, as it was a surprise. I didn't like the taste at all and neither did my wife. I found it tasted more like a cooler than a beer. The fruity taste was too much and the beer too sweet.

It was a challenge to finish the can and I still have five more...not sure what to do with them.

Perrin, May 05, 2013
2.96/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 355ml bottle. Pours a cloudy yellowish orange colour. The word "apricot" on the label may be small (almost hidden), but the aroma and taste are pronounced in this hefeweizen. The nose is also very floral and perfumey with none of the classic hefe notes. Taste is similarly strongly redolent of apricot and flowers. A bit unbalanced, but certainly recommended for people who like their fruit beer to taste quite fruity.

CookstLiquor, Apr 25, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

On tap at Black Betty Burger & Winebar, pours a clear golden with a small white head. Aroma of wheat, not much of the apricot, and not much else. Flavor is dry, with wheat, subtle dry lemon peel and maybe a hint of apricot. Subtle and drinkable. Decent beer for the summer.

Serge, Oct 11, 2012

MalcolmJames, Sep 08, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +41%

A- Pours a beautiful coppery gold color and there is tinges of orange in the background. The head is super white, and starts off around 2 fingers thick before settling down to a nice creamy layer of foam over the brew. The lacing is moderately decent, with only small patches of foam clinging to the side of the glass...it appears to be slightly watery but I won't hold this against the beer seeing as it's meant as a thirst-quencher.

S- The aromas are a great blend of sweet malt, apricot flesh as well as a more bitter smell of the pit itself, and spiciness. I think there is some modest, yet noticeable hints of hop bitterness hiding in the background as well. Overall, a nice natural smelling brew!

T- The flavors follow the aromas quite well....I get an overall sense of the apricot essence, with fresh tastes of the fruit flesh and/or juice. This is balanced well by barley and wheat malt, providing a fresh sweetness that adds richness to the overall flavor. There is some bitterness on the end, but it comes more from the apricot pit than from hop cones....it is more of a drying bitterness. Again, this is a very natural tasting fruit based wheat beer!

M- Thin bodied, which is actually appreciated here, while enjoying this in the hot sun! The carbonation is crisp too, giving my palate a need for more....there is a drying sensation right at the end that quenches my thirst but keeps me coming back for another sip!

O- I find this to be a great summer beer to enjoy! It has just the right amount of fruitiness, sweetness and a dry finish which is what, in my opinion, a hot weather brew should contain! I recommend this one to anybody and am glad I got to try it! I hope this is a yearly seasonal by Okanagan Spring!

ChrisCage, Aug 31, 2012

Vandelayindustri, May 27, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -50%

Converge, May 25, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -35.7%

I've hard other apricot flavoured beers which tasted fine, but this Apricot Summer Weizen tasted very artificial and I could barely finish a bottle. My 2 other buddies agreed and I ended dumping 3 other bottles down the drain, I could'nt drink it.
Maybe I got a bad batch or it sat at the liquor store too long, but I was seriously disappointed.

NinVic, May 20, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +25%

bumchilly25, May 11, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a cloudy peach colour with a 1/2 finger width of bubbly white head.

Smell- Apricots, slight peach aroma, cherries. (fruits of the orchard), and something that reminds of a lozenge.

Taste- Apricot and cherries are predominate followed by the wheat to balance this brew out. You get a bit of that lozenge.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall- A summery limited edition by Okanagan. Reminds me of my days spent in the orchard. I don't know why I pick up that lozenge flavour but maybe its from the cherries. Besides the fact, still an enjoyable offering and worth a try.

leaddog, Apr 30, 2012

Birdlegs, Apr 28, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The newest offering from this brewery - an ode to the Okanagan's orchard-heavy history, apparently. A pint at a downtown Edmonchuk 'English' pub that I finally tried out, even though it's only about 3 blocks from my place. Orange slice immediately removed, to be enjoyed later, separately.

This beer appears a very cloudy, medium golden orange hue, with one fat finger of puffy, shiny, and foamy off-white head, which sits there for a surprisingly long time, before slowly seeping away, leaving some consistent tight webbed lace around the glass. A stately-looking beer, I gotta say!

It smells strongly of sweet peach/apricot fruitiness, a mild wheaty graininess, very faint earthy hops, and a soft edgy warming. The taste is semi-sweet apricot puree, a testy, wheaty doughiness, some further blended orchard fruitiness, though a tad more astringent, with some menthol-esque notes wedging their way in. Any hops register at a hollow leafy echo, at best.

The carbonation is quite reserved, but not totally absent, the body a struggling medium weight, but smoothly genial, overall. It finishes a fair bit less sweet, with more of the fleshy, vegetal side of the guest star ingredient becoming evident.

A beer that rides a consistent downwards curve throughout its life-cycle, from tap to the last glug - good thing that it started off at a pretty lofty perch, then, I would suggest. Sweet fruit, middling underlying wheat ale, and then gritty fruit remainders. Too procedural seeming, and not enough blending or integration, so I think the one is enough for me.

biboergosum, Apr 19, 2012