Mill Street Tankhouse Ale - Mill Street Brew Pub

good

Mill Street Brew Pub visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Like traditional pale ales, Tankhouse Ale has a deep copper-red colour. We use five different malts to produce a complex malty texture. The most dominant character of our Pale Ale is the hop. The spicy Cascades is used to give an assertive hop flavour, aroma and bitterness to our ale. The result is a satisfying and complex-tasting beer. Our brewmaster developed this recipe 20 years ago and it has remained his favorite drink of choice.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-13-2003)

Liamlovebeer, Sep 15, 2014

ThinkAgain, Jan 06, 2012

Ianleesrivette, Oct 30, 2013

Sercoli, Sep 08, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a clear copper/ruby, fizzy white head forms, leaves just as fast, some random spots of lace, almost no retention. Smell is sweet, malty, some citrus and pine hops, weak. Taste is almost all malt, some toffee, crystal malt, bread and grain, tiny bit of floral in the finish, light bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, extremely weak finish. What the hell did they do to this? It used to be a decently hoppy pale ale, now it tastes like they don't even bother adding hops anymore. Very disappointing as this used to be a great session ale.

Viggo, Dec 14, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

1-finger head, with a copper-red, amber appearance.

A mild, bready scent present over the head.

Taste: I found my first sips to be bitter for an amber (based on what I like and am used to). Regretfully, I did a beeradvocate search for this beer only after I ordered, so I was disappointed to find that I ordered a Pale Ale, which is not a beer style that I particularly like. (The menu said "Tankhouse Amber". If it had said "Tankhouse Ale", I would not have ordered it.) In this particular case, I found the flavour unsurprising, but I'm somewhat biased against Pale Ales.

Overall, decent for the style, I suppose, but I don't like Pale Ales, so I can't rate this too highly.

The-Jolly-Imbiber, Dec 08, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

kvgomps, Sep 08, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

TubaDan, Apr 27, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

Gift from an old friend in Canada, sent to me via my brother. From a 341mL bottle into a tulip.

A – Not sure what to expect from this one. Pours a clear reddish-orange with a good amount of visible carbonation, head dissipates in less than a minute, but lacing hangs out averagely well.

S – Crisp lemon and lime hops, but not orange or spices. Not particularly clear, but that's expected for the style.

T – Nose is slightly sweet lemon, followed immediately by smoky malts, finish is a mix of both, resulting in a kind of pine wax bitterness. Not boozy at all. Kind of a one-dimensional taste, upon reflection, just pine bitterness, and not much else. Not the worst quality, but not the best, either.

M – Velvet carbonation, lots of thin bubbles, almost like a bottle-conditioned belgian with sugar, which is weird for the style, like it was forced. Leaves a dry resin for a bit after a sip.

O – The bottle claims this is brewed with "a staggering amount of hops," but I don't know what the story is. I don't taste so much of a balance as a full-on bitterness with no aromatic or fruit or malt to balance it out. Again, it's one-dimensional. I prefer a beer to commit, really bring a strong presence – which might be a lot to ask of a 5% pale ale, but I've had others that fit my preference more nearly than this does.

justiceavocado, Mar 29, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

An American Pale? Shouldn't this be Canadian Pale? Not quite sure where this came from, an extra in a trade somewhere along the line... But I digress...

A. Pours a very red and rich autumn-leaf rust, with a fast-fading head and lots of active carbonation. Ok. No lace to speak of.

S. Sort of musty, sweet malts and grain. Caramel heavy, very little hop aroma. A little bready. Not bad though.

T. Initially sweet, but fades to rather messy caramel malt and dry hop bitterness, some seltzer-water minerally flavors crop up and the finish is a bitter, although not hoppy per se, muddled semi-dry caramel thing. Not that great. Probably an old bottle.

M. Decent body, still quite fizzy and full, finishes dry, unpleasant aftertaste. Should snap and pop, or at least fall off gracefully, but it's rather thick and clumsy.

D. Nah. This is why we need freshness dates on bottles, folks. I know this is several months old, and probably older, but there is no way of telling and it makes it tough to review. Alas! For now it is a sub-par example of the style and not even that fun to drink.

kkipple, May 10, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Bought a 6-pack of bottles from a liquor store while visiting Ottawa. Came in with no expectations though I was a little suspicious due to the ambiguous "dark ale" descriptor on the box.

The body is clear amber and it poured with a small creamy head. The aroma is of an earthy-flowery hops, with light grapefruit and bubblegum. In the taste the hops is dominant with a smoky ash malt. The flavour has chocolate, bubblegum-mint, and little bit of zesty lemon. It has high carbonation with a constant stream of carbonation bubbles and a creamy or buttery feel. I find it lighter than most other beers.

Overall, I find it out of balance, like there are two flavours battling each other. Looking back, maybe I have been spoiled with APAs, as all three others I've reviewed here were far superior (though two of those are west coast beers and the other a world-class beer).

maclean25, Aug 20, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -23%

I did find some flavour in this brew, but had to ignore the metalic undercurrent. The flavour that needs to be brought out is a malty balance. Had it 2.5 years later on cask and it was better, with a light body, light carbonation. C-hop and no balance. The cask is the review score. The bottles' quality is getting watered down, and with Mill Street beers in general, beginning in 2009, I was getting stomach aches likely owing to chemicals being used.

Sammy, Jan 25, 2004