1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mill Street Tankhouse Ale - Mill Street Brew Pub

Mill Street Tankhouse AleMill Street Tankhouse Ale

good

Mill Street Brew Pub visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Like traditional pale ales, Tankhouse Ale has a deep copper-red colour. We use five different malts to produce a complex malty texture. The most dominant character of our Pale Ale is the hop. The spicy Cascades is used to give an assertive hop flavour, aroma and bitterness to our ale. The result is a satisfying and complex-tasting beer. Our brewmaster developed this recipe 20 years ago and it has remained his favorite drink of choice.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-13-2003)
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Varnished red cedar with a deep coppered hue. The beer is brilliantly clear and visibly well carbonated. Giant, boldly defined bubbles resemble a collection of air balloons hovering just above the surface, which is plastered in a foamy encrustation. The whole of the circumference of the glass has become caked in the crusty white stuff.

The aroma is quintessential of many a number of American amber ales. It has a big presence of darkly toasted grains and a healthy dosage of zesty, stinky Cascade hops. There's a drop of pine serum and a good deal of stinky, hemp-like herbals. It's nothing too dynamic, but there's a lot of nice aromatics at hand here.

The same could be said of the flavour; it's nothing mouth-watering but serves its purpose with a respectable performance. There's toasted grains, whole-wheat breads, a touch of caramel and a complimentary cast of bitter grapefruit piths and pungent herbal cones. It's far more reserved than its American counterparts (and unarguably not quite as delectable).

The carbonation is fine and a good dose of sticky, sappy hop bitterness survives. I'm not sure how many IBU's we're sitting at but I think we got off at the right floor - any more would overshadow the flavour and any less would make for a pretty lackluster mouthfeel. The beer is quenching and quite satisfying for a pale ale, even despite the mild disposition.

The issue I have with Tankhouse Ale, and I'm far from the only one, is its inconsistency. Apparently the recipe had to be tweaked when one of the brewery's founders left the company. Whatever the case, the beer has been terribly inconsistent over the years; zestful and generously hoppy at its best, weak and painfully bland at its worst.

I plan to keep rolling the dice. All said and done this is still (sadly) one of the hoppiest examples we have access to in the province of Ontario. Besides, it's not at all a bad beer. I'm fine putting some money down every now and then for a sixer or a pint of Tankhouse and in most cases, I'm content with the purchase.

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - very nice dark amber colour with medium-high carbonation. Little head with only a nice thin even froth.

Smell - smells of caramel, rich malty aroma, with dense fruit scents. A pleasing blend of grains and fruit.

Taste - strong, vibrant raisiny-malt flavours with just a nice long thick finish of mild bitters.

Mouthfeel - very smooth. Dark and complicated.

Drinkability - this is an enjoyable beer. I'd have a few. In fact I have, more than once!

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked this up and the beer store on recent trip to Sudbury. Tankhouse Ale pours a deep copper with a nice white head. The aroma is toasty caramel with some dry dark fruits. The flavor starts crisp and malty without being too sweet. Bitterness comes through in the finish and some light citrusy, piney hops sneak their way out. This is a real solid offering from Mill Street, I will have to try some of their other beers next time I'm in Ontario.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

A: A reddish, caramel colour

S: Floral Hops with caramel aftertones

T: Powerful hoppiness prevails here, with a malty backbone. However, there is a typical ale "richness" that is slightly lacking here.

M: Very smooth and drinkable.

D: I'm very impressed with this. I had tried the Mill St. Organic Lager before and wasn't thrilled, but this ale makes me want to try more offerings from them. I'd rate this excellent, except there is "something" missing that I can't quite put my finger on.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

341mL bottle with no best before date, poured into pint glass.

A very large, rocky and yellowish head sits atop a mostly clear dark copper. Rings of lace are left all down the glass, and a nice cap stays until the finish.

Nose is a tug-of-war between sweet caramel malts and pine hops.

Taste has pine and floral hops up front, before mellowing to the malty caramel middle. Bitter hop finish that lingers pleasantly. Very nice balance going on here.

Smooth and medium bodied with a nice balancing carbonation.

Very drinkable beer, goes down beautifully. Can (and do) drink many of these in an evening.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

P: Thank you to my big sister and her family for turning me onto the Ontario Craft Brewers' Discovery Pack No. 2: 6 assorted bottles. All the way from Toronto. Nice Christmas gift, EH?
#1 in a series.

A: Pours a rusty amber with a frothy and pitted, two-finger, tan-colored head with fair retention and sticky lacing.

S: Citrus hops, caramel, brown sugar, and a hint of tea.

T: Toasted malt upfront with suggestions of toffee, caramel, butter and brown sugar. Hops come out to play in the middle, contributing to a slightly bitter finish.

M: Crisp, medium-bodied, and moderately carbonated.

D: Quite sessionable. APA? Perhaps this should be classified as a CPA, as it skews more in the British Pale Ale tradition of malty, buttery and well-balanced.

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

Starting off New Year's Eve early (one of many beers I'll ring in 2009 with). This was part of the second round of the Ontario Craft Brewer Discovery Pack mixed 6-pack collection, the first round was pretty tame but I like that the second round has some classics and at least a couple beers I've wanted to try.

Looks good, copper-brown with a sticky white head. Real hoppy kick in the smell, toasty, with some fruity malt sweetness.

Sweet malty kick to the taste, that subdues into a lightly bitter, burnt flavour. Lots going on in the taste, very enjoyable. Goes down smooth, but with a thinner and more carbonated mouthfeel than the creaminess I was hoping for. Leaves a crisp aftertaste, a little fruity, mostly bitter and perhaps coffee-tasting.

Overall, a drinkable and enjoyable brew. Out of the Discovery Pack this might be my pick of the pack, although I've got high hopes for Cameron's Auburn.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours copper red in colour with a bubbly white head. Grainy lacing sticks to the glass nicely. Smell is American hops and a little bit of yeast. Taste is a beautiful mix of citrus, oranges, biscuit, and spicy hops with a light bitterness in the aftertaste. Lots of bread and earthiness as well. Mouthfeel is crisp, medium-bodied, silky middle with a smooth, balanced hop finish. Overall, I've been drinking Tankhouse more often than my other favourites as of late. It really is an ideal session beer. Hop heads should take note of the "pale ale" classification though: this is neither an IPA nor a pale ale on steroids. But that is the appeal of Tankhouse: its mild, balanced hop flavour and lower ABV make it a very drinkable pale.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's a nice drink.

Great colour, thin pale head.

Pine and floral on the nose.

Fairly simple in the mouth, a bit hoppy but not as much as the nose would indicate. A touch more sweet than I like my "bitter".

Medium finish.

I had high expectations as this was new to the Vancouver market and there had been quite a bit of buzz about it.

As mentioned above, it's a nice drink but not one I'd seek out. I'd like to try it on tap.

Recommended

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

I've had this beer many times in a bottle, but then had it last night on tap at Chaucey's in London. Its a bit better on tap

Pours a dark amber/brown and is reddish against the light. Good head and it laces the glass as you drink it

Aroma is fruity, citrusy hops dominate

Flavour is very malty with good hop bitterness in the end. Burnt aftertaste. Hoppy, nutty, definately not a bland ale, there's a lot going on

Mouthfeel is very good, not too creamy, and not very watery. Good amount of carbonation on tap, I think the bottle version has a little too much

Drinkability I suppose depends on my mood. I don't think I'd turn down this beer on tap very often tho

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the liquid is dark copper with ok carbonation. The head is ok 1 fat thumb, off white and little lace.

The smell is malty, mixed fruit and bread.

The taste is ok, fruits and light bread, some tart peach, light old coffee, and stale biscuit in the finish.

The mouthfeel is thin and the carbonation is ok.

The drinkability is just above BMC from my bottle , not a great pick but ok, I can see how a freash draft version of this brew could work better. I would seek it out if I ever get back to Canada. Prosit

MK

Pours a very nice deep copper/red with a nice head that lasts.

Smells very hoppy, floral, burnt almost piney, very nice.

I absolutely love the taste, very hoppy, very complex, burnt aftertaste, caramel maybe some vanilla?

This is for sure Mill Streets best beer, on-tap it's even better, just delicious.

*update*

This beer is not as good as I remember it, not as hoppy or something...still has some nice body, but somethings changed...

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to biegaman for this brew in a trade. Pours dark amber with a one cm head. Smells faintly of hops. Taste is a nice mix of malt and hops; very balanced. Mouthfeel is very smooth & this would be a nice session beer. Glad to have tried it.

Cheers.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to viggo for this local extra. Taken from notes.

Pours dark amber with 1 inch off white head and leaves decent lacing. Smells of muddy, caramel malts and earthy hops. Taste is a nice balance of caramel maltiness and earthy hoppiness. They really blend well. Mouthfeel is average and drinkability is pretty good.

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle received as extra in trade with Viggo. Thanks, Eric!

A: Deep copper with a 1-finger thick light tan head.

S: Mild pine hop presence with a definite pineapple component. Hint of sweet caramel.

T: Mildly hoppy with a combination of pine and earthy spiciness. Mild caramel presence with a toasted biscuit component

M: Medium finish, well carbonated

D: Goes down easy but not sure how many i'd drink.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to grub for sending me this beer, glad I saved it for a warm day!

The bottle describes the color as a "fiery pale ale, copper-red" and that's a very good description. A good inch of foam sits on the top of the beer for a few moments.

Aroma is of toasted bread, spicy hops, and a few notes of sweet fruits, both tropical and dark ones (nectarine, raisins, and cherries). Caramel malts hide behind the toast and some bread dough in the finish.

The flavors seem well balanced, didn't get a single note that jumped out at me on the first sip, but the toast is noticeable. More toast and some bread crumbs on the second sip, this time with a slightly spicy finish. Not very flavorful but still very good.

The mouth-feel is great, very smooth with a soft carbonation and a clean finish. Easy to drink and a very refreshing beer that would make it great to session.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

20oz draught
5.2% ABV

I tried this beer on May 13, 2008 at the "Elephant and Castle" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer was poured a translucent reddish-brown colour with a half-inch creamy tan coloured head. The aroma was a combination or raosted malt, and hops. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, with mild carbonation. The flavour was all about the hops. A nice bitter citrusy tang and a very good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Golden orange in color, very clear and bright. Steady carbonation and thin white head. Spots of lacing down the glass. Smell is fairly light but of clean piney hops. Taste is good, nothing complex or superb but very well balanced and again clean. Some bittering hops and a touch of caramel malt. Nice bitter mouthfeel. Somewhat dry finish. Good carbonation. While it's not a standout it is a true Pale Ale and one that is easily drinkable. Can't hate it for that.

Cheers to grub for the treat!

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a rich reddish/amber color....quite dark...I like this! Not much of a head even with a fairly hard pour but rather a thin white ring, but mine didn't really have the lacing that I read about in previous reviews...oh well!

S- A nice mixture of maltiness and hops. While not tremendously distinctive, it has an earthy/slightly woodsy aroma, which I'm guessing is a result of the hops that were used. I quite like the fact that the malt aromas are in the backround and the dryness comes through more.

T- Rich with lots of flavor! The hop presence really comes through but in a soft manner on the front of the palate, which is something more unique in my books. Soft spices can be tasted and the woodsy character that I detected in the aroma comes through as well. The bitterness becomes much more present on the finish and has a fairly long aftertaste. This presents itself well as a rich, dry ale!

M- I was impressed with this as there is really some substance behind the drink! With mild carbonation, this almost has a buttery structure that allows the bitterness to really encompass the palate. This has a nice full body!

D- While I quite enjoyed sampling this brew, I wouldn't have more than 1 or 2 at a time, as it's quite rich and dry. I would probably enjoy this the most with a nice bbq'd steak or ribs. However, this beer is one of the better ones I've had to date and I recommend to everyone that gets an opportunity to have one. Well Done Mill St!

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

A- Brownish amber color, semi-clear, thin white cover that faded slowly

S- Light earthy hops, grassy, pale malts, caramel, hint of citrus

T- Flowery hops, grains, toasted nuts, earthy, grassy, light malts, slightly sweet

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp, fairly dry then oily finish

D- Worth trying

I would consider this to be a very middle of the road american pale ale. Not a lot of complexity but not too over hopped as some breweries tend to do.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap at the brewery. Deep amber colour with a small white head. Lovely smell of caramel malts, grapefruit and pine needles. The aroma of caramel is reflected in the body, which also packs a nice level of floral bitterness thanks to the hops. Bready aftertaste with dried fruits. Medium body suits the beer well.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 341mL bottle into a Stella Artois gold-rimmed glass.

Appearance is translucent copper-rust with little white head.

Floral grassy bouquet. Crisp Cascade aroma with some citrus rind, grapefruit, nuts, and caramel notes. Roasted malt. Not bad. Some earthy organic stuff. Maybe a little yeast and pine?

Moderate body, low carbonation.

Taste has lots of caramel sweet malt, moderate bitterness. Strong finish, moderate length. Nuts. Soil. Strong roasted base, nice toast-ness.

Very sessionable.

I've had this on tap before but I don't recall it, I'd like to try it again. One of my favourite Mill Street offerings (should be their flagship!). APA, done Canadian-style.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

A – Coppery orange with minimal head that leaves a thin lacing around the glass.

S – The smell is a nice blend of sweet malts and spicy/floral hops.

T – Caramel malts with a spicy, slightly woody and assertive hoppiness. The finish is drying and bitter with a vaguely metallic finish.

M – Medium body and decent carbonation.

D – An excellent session beer. Highly drinkable, well hopped and balanced.

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a 341ml brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- clear copper/amber color with a decent sized head, good retention, and some nice lace as well.

S- The nose is full of floral hop notes with some nice roasty malt aromas in the background.

T- Roasty caramel malt flavors are noticed first followed up with decent, grassy/floral hops, with an increasingly bitter somewhat dry finish with more roastyness again in the end. Some citrus was noticed as well. Solid balance.

M- medium bodied beer with excellent carbonation.

D- could drink it all night.

Overall this is in my opinion one of Mill St's best offering. Good hop profile and great balance. Worth a try.

4.68/5  rDev +25.5%

I tried this beer on tap at the Iron Works in Almonte ON. It's a nice pub right on the Mississippi River (not that one, it just has the same name). They only serve micro-brews there and fresh food. It's a rarity in these parts and I wonder why a small town like Almonte can do this but a cit of 800,000+ like Ottawa can't.

I've been a fan of this beer for over a year now but I never had the opportunity to try it on tap until now. It was a pint of heaven. Better, much better than in the bottle. Fresh hoppy loveliness. I can't go on because I'm going to black out thinking of how good it was.

Mill Street Tankhouse Ale from Mill Street Brew Pub