1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Mill Street Tankhouse Ale - Mill Street Brew Pub

Mill Street Tankhouse AleMill Street Tankhouse Ale

good

Mill Street Brew Pub visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Like traditional pale ales, Tankhouse Ale has a deep copper-red colour. We use five different malts to produce a complex malty texture. The most dominant character of our Pale Ale is the hop. The spicy Cascades is used to give an assertive hop flavour, aroma and bitterness to our ale. The result is a satisfying and complex-tasting beer. Our brewmaster developed this recipe 20 years ago and it has remained his favorite drink of choice.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-13-2003)
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Hoagie, Dec 30, 2013

boszormeny, Dec 19, 2013

AndrewC, Dec 13, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

1-finger head, with a copper-red, amber appearance.

A mild, bready scent present over the head.

Taste: I found my first sips to be bitter for an amber (based on what I like and am used to). Regretfully, I did a beeradvocate search for this beer only after I ordered, so I was disappointed to find that I ordered a Pale Ale, which is not a beer style that I particularly like. (The menu said "Tankhouse Amber". If it had said "Tankhouse Ale", I would not have ordered it.) In this particular case, I found the flavour unsurprising, but I'm somewhat biased against Pale Ales.

Overall, decent for the style, I suppose, but I don't like Pale Ales, so I can't rate this too highly.

The-Jolly-Imbiber, Dec 08, 2013

Exeter, Dec 04, 2013

ppoitras, Nov 10, 2013
3.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a bottle at a pub in Calgary's Kensington area. Pours a yellow tree sap amber shade with a considerable amount of off-white, almost light tan foam. Cascade is the primary or perhaps only hop used here and the aroma certainly features that classic currant/fruity "twang", along with sweet malts. Although the aroma is unassuming and perhaps underwhelming, the palate is complex, rich, and assertive without being overpowering. Right off one gets some sour green apple, unripe stone fruit and a little pine resin, no tropical or obvious citrus qualities. There is a little citrus but its subtle and nonspecific. Malts are wonderfully complex, some dark bread crust, burnt caramel, and dark fruit/molasses notes, the malts are tangy and juicy and this brew displays some English ale character (even though this is billed as an American IPA ... The hops are indeed American but the malt character tastes English to me ... Maybe not quite as nuanced but damn close). Is that a hint of diacetyl? Finish is quite dry and bitter, tasting of spruce sap. Menthol aftertaste veers a bit into coarse territory but the malt layers endeavor to keep things balanced. I am going to go ahead and say that Mill St. has a winner here. Nice sessionable IPA that melds Old and New World features.

CalgaryFMC, Nov 04, 2013

KeKeKumba, Nov 02, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Reddish amber with 1.5 fingers of fluffy, short-lived head. Many small fast-moving bubbles.

S - Toffee, sweet citrus fruit.

T - Steady grapefruit bitterness, citrus, hints of caramel, strong melanoidins. Highly attenuated.

M - Aggressively carbonated and slightly thin.

O - Dry, drinkable N.A. style Pale Ale. One of many good options in Ontario, one I will return to from time to time.

EvanHarper, Oct 30, 2013

Yesdog, Sep 23, 2013

Pmicdee, Sep 14, 2013

jawnzer, Sep 09, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

This is a beer I keep coming back to. Great flavour profile, and I think I actually like it better from the tap, but still very good out of the bottle.

Has a mild bitterness, with lots of malty flavours that come through. Caramel notes very apparent, and a nice finish.

Highly recommend.