Mill Street Stock Ale - Mill Street Brew Pub

Mill Street Brew Pub visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 07-02-2005

A golden export-style ale made from only malt and hops, no fillers or adjuncts. A brilliant golden colour gives a “sparkling” appearance as the gas escapes from the glass. The natural sweetness of the malt is perfectly balanced by the bitterness derived from the hops. This beer represents the way blonde ales were made 100 years ago.
Ratings: 159 | Reviews: 80
3.02/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a pale straw-yellow colour with some fizzy head that dissipates without lacing. Smell is sweet grainy and buscuit. Taste has almost a mild hint of bitterness, but it is quite sweet. This is really drinkable and more pleasant than macros, but it isn't a great beer. I used to drink this a couple years ago before I really got into beer, but when I wanted something with a bit more flavour.

3.02/5  rDev -2.6%

Golden yellow in colour with almost no head. Lots of bubbly carbonation in the body. Smells of mild floral hops and sweet cereal grains. Wheat and yeast aromas. Taste consists of wheat malt, honey, and cereal flavours at first, with light and vaguely bitter hops in the aftertaste. More wheat towards the end. Mouthfeel is light-bodied and crisp, followed by a dry and chalky finish. A decent beer overall, but I probably wouldn't drink this again. It doesn't have much flavour and there are better, more interesting blondes.

A - Pours a bright clear yellow. 2 fingers of fizzy head, doesn't stick around. No retention, no lacing.

S - Pale malt. Corn maybe.

T - DMS (corn). Not much here, very pale malt and a very slight bitterness. Finishes a bit sweet for me. Not a fan of the aftertaste either.

M - Light, little body.

D - Almost drinkable, but I think I dumped the last bit.

Having a tough time with this one. Definitely below average for beers I drink, but I guess average or above for what is commonly sold in the beer store.

What a disappointment. After the pleasant surprise of the Tankhouse Ale and the Coffee Porter this let me down. The word that sums this one up is 'Average'. I suppose I should have known that this would be the case. They advertize that it is an 'Export' type ale right on the bottle. Ithink the clear bottle in the open case also lent itself to embellishing the flavour with some skunk. Why bother? Well if you like this style of beer it's probably a fine one. It just doesn't have anything very special going for it in my opinion.

Pours a clear pale golden color with lots of bubbles rising, a head that dissipates quite fast and leaves no lacing.

Smells grainy with hints of fruit.

Tastes grainy, some caramel, butterscotch and hints of fruit.

Mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation but still a bit creamy as it washes down.

Finally, Mill St products are available in Ottawa. So I picked up a 6 pack at the LCBO from their first shipment. I know the stuff has not been on the shelf for months, absorbing light and going skunky. I have tried the Molson Stock Ale, and was expecting something similar out out Mill St. But this one is considerably better.

Short and to the point:
A: The clear bottle gives you a good view of the pale yellow, very clear colour. The head is thin, and does not last long. However, there is nice long lacing.
S: A nice balance of malt and hops. Neither one dominates.
T: Just like it smells: a good balance of hoppy bitterness and malty sweetness. If anything, there is a bit of biscuit taste.
M: It has a light body, with decent gentle effervescence.
D: A very nice, smooth summer ale. Not an outstanding beer, but it will appeal to a wide range of beer fans, from newbies to geeks.
I won't have to force myself to drink the other 5.

Got this as part of Mill Street's seasonal sampler pack, or I don't think I would have ever bought it again. Man this brings back memories. I used to drink this all the time a few years back (out of the bottle no less) before I moved on to better things.

Pours like a standard ale. Nothing out of the ordinary. Yellow, as you can see in the photo above. Minimal head that quickly and completely disappears, never to be seen again. There's little to no head retention which is always a little disappointing.

I am picking up very little in the aroma, not much but a hint of malt and grains and...um. Fruit? Some kind of fruit I guess.

The taste is actually better than I was expecting. I guess there was a reason I drank this so much back then. A fairly okay amount malt with an inoffensive barely bitter finish, with an overall lemony fruitness to it.

Nice sticky yet refreshing mouthfeel.

I don't think this beer is aspiring to be anything but a well brewed crowd pleaser and if that is the case it does its job well. This wouldn't be a bad beer at all to session or slake your thirst or drink when your attention was focused elsewhere. I'd probably prefer something with a bit more character than this myself, but you could do a lot worse. I think this would be a great beer to keep in your fridge to offer guests who are used to macros.

2.97/5  rDev -4.2%

355ml clear glass bottle poured into a pint glass. Part of a trade with fisherman34. No date on the bottle that I can see.

This beer is about the same colour as an MGD, without the propensity to overflow when you open it, which is good, because the bottle was filled right to the cap basically. When poured, there is a slight 1/4 inch fizzy head that disappears almost as fast as it appears, and leaves very minimal lacing. Carbonation is very mild. Smells very subtle, mostly some candylike aromas fruity notes combined with a very very mild floral hop presence.

Taste is not offensive really, but I'm pretty sure that the bottle is less than fresh, as I'm getting a very slight soapy skunkiness. The taste is extremely mild, a fruit apple juice-like sweetness, light nuttiness, and almost undetectable floral hops. Not at all overcarbonated, and the body is really light and thin, very wet. This is not an exciting beer, but I'll tell you what, I could chug so many of these on a hot day. Not offensive and nice to not have those gross adjuncts to deal with. I guess the word for this one would be "meh."

2.96/5  rDev -4.5%

Recent addition at the NSLC. Somewhat surprised these are packed in clear bottles in open six packs. Reminders of last year's poor choice in the organic lager, but....

Pours a clear yellow color with a thin layer of head.

Some minor grains in the nose.

Some light malt taste. Some sweetness that reminds me of honey. No real hop bitterness, despite what the label says. Wet finish.

My glass was finished before I realized it, so it is definitely drinkable. A decent beverage I guess, but nothing to go out of your way for.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into the beery beer glass.

A-Minimal foamy head with little to no retention. Only small bits of lacing. A very clear yellow with slightly gold/orange tint.

S-Sweet like a bowl of honeycombs.

T-mild malty sweetness fades into mild citrus hoppiness.

M-Light body with high carbonation makes it fade off of the tongue quite quickly.

O-Nothing wrong here, but not much to taste either. A clean and easy beer that would please on a nice hot BBQ day.

2.92/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Pale golden yellow, with almost unexistant carbonation and almost completely lacking a head.

S- Bready malts. Very slight hops. Very faint.

T- Slightly sweet malt taste, and slightly bitter from the hops. Nothing all to impressive. A bit underwhelming. While the bottle brags about it being made from only malts and hops, it seems that they either didn't use much of them, or they didn't use very good quality malts and hops.

I don't want to come across as bashing it because it wasn't really offensive in the taste department. It just didn't live up to my expectations or prove to be of as much quality as their other offerings.

M- Medium to thin body, leaning on the thin side. Was a little creamy though.

D- Quite drinkable, but not really impressive. Mill Street should have put a bit more effort into this one.

2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance. Pours a clear yella with a thin, bubbly white head that clearly had some shit to do because it didn't stick around for long.

Smell. Sweet, barely toasted grains with a tiny hit of grassy hops.

Taste. Sweet, lightly toasted grains. Some grassy, earthy hops.

Mouthfeel. Light body with medium-strong, bubbly carbonation.

Overall. Not anything to write home about, but better than the crap that sells the most.

2.81/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: clear golden yellow with bubbles.

Smell and taste: very little! It's not unpleasant, just... bland. That's why the 2.5 in these categories. A bit sour in the aftertaste, not a bad thing.

Mouthfeel: fizzy almost like pop. Refreshing but could be a little less carbonated.

Drinkability: okay if it's given to me (which it was). It's not one I go looking for myself; if I want a light, pale, and refreshing beer from Mill Street I much prefer the Organic Lager.

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

Boring. Looks like a macro lager: golden with a white foamy head. Smells like malt and corn, and very syrupy. Taste the same: overly malted, almost like a syrup. Carbonation seems too low, very silky but almost like water.

Ice cold on a hot afternoon? Maybe. But not a great session beer.

2.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

LIght coloured, light bodied, not much head. Some mid-sip fruit taste. Was light mouthfeel and malts and hops made it drinkable. But not as drinkable as their Tankhouse Pale. Dry aftertaste.Another flavoured sparkling water or soft drink replacement from these guys.Weak link in lineup.

2.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - clear, pale, almost straw like yellow. Small fizzy head that was gone in a flash. No lacing. Low carbonation.

Smell - wheat, bready, not much going on
Taste & Mouth - pretty boring plain jane beer taste here. Almost tastes like a light beer. Faint hops, wheat, low carbonation

Drink - it's a beer.. not much more I can say, pretty basic, nothing noteworthy

2.65/5  rDev -14.5%

A - poured a half finger head that quickly dissipated - no lacing - clear banana soda colour

S - malty grain - sweet - straight forward

T - sweet malt - stale biscuit - little hops - off putting aftertaste - got what I expected - not much

M - light body little carbonation - dry with a funky aftertastes

O - did not expect a lot for the style and it did not disapppoint - really not worth buying again - wife was thoughtful and bought me some craft beer on the way to the trailer - it is the thought that counts

2.63/5  rDev -15.2%

comes in a clear bottle. pale yellow.
poured in a chalice. tiny head disappears right within seconds.

smell malt right away. tangy sour yeasty smell.
probably light struck from the clear bottle but it came in a box so not sure.
smells like typical see thru bottled fare, corona, et.al.

based on the smell it is probably watery tasting and thirst quenching but not much else. about to find out.

very high carbonation. thin tasting despite the fizz. overall kinda boring. drinkable but not impressed.

G: Pint Glass

A: Clear golden body with two fingers of foamy head. Poor retention and minimal lacing.

S: Faint and light malts, grainy hops. Very weak aroma.

T: Malts are apparent but very weak/light. A distict graininess dominates. Not off putting taste, but nothing I would applaud.

M: Light bodied and medium carbonation. Very watery and leaves a slight grainy feel, nothing to strong.

D: This is nothing special to say the least. It feel like a adjunct to me IMO. It's not bad if you want something light and easy to drink, but for the price it's not worth it.

2.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Pale straw yellow with fizzy head that dissipated to a very thin layer quite quickly.

In terms of smell you get bready malts and a little bit of hops in the background, that is it.

In terms of taste much of the same. Sweet bready malts, and corn sweetness and a little bit of hops at the back. The hops have an slight off metallic taste, and the aftertaste is somewhat unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is lightbodied, and somewhat watery. Nothing too terrible, but below average nonetheless. Needs more carbonation.

Drinkable I guess if you are okay with the mediocrity of the brew and the slightly off aftertaste.

2.58/5  rDev -16.8%

I had been on the lookout for this one but wasn't interested in a full six pack.. so when I found a single at the LCBO I decided it was time. In hindsight, staying away from a sixer was a great move on my part.

It pours like a macro.. smells like a macro and tastes like one too. This is a fairly sugary drink.. lots of malts up front and very few hops to counterbalance. Fruitiness is lacking as well. Overall the best comparison I can give is Kokanee.

Mouthfeel is average and drinkability poor.. it's just to sweet to want to consume many at a time.

2.55/5  rDev -17.7%

Surprised to see this in the land of Coors Light and Clam so I caved.

Pure gold in color, clear, average head and lacing.

Very rich and sweet. Almost honey-like.

Meh. Not sure how to discribe this beer. The label says they used hop and I'm guessing maybe 1 or 2 leaves and that's it. Cloyingly sweet and sticky malt were all I could dredge up flavour wise.

If I could ever use the terms thick and watery in the same breath it's now. Starts almost syrupy and then gets thin fast.

Wasted my $$ here. Not my bag at all. Pass

2.53/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a light clear bright yellow color ale with a large fizzy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light sweet malt is quite bland. Taste is also dominated by light sweet malt notes with not many other noticeable characteristics. Boyd is light with fizzy carbonation. I had somehow missed trying that beer for so many years but I can now say that I wasn’t missing much.

2.53/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: golden, no head

Smell: very little smell

Taste/Mouthfeel: smooth, a bit flat, kind of a coors light aftertaste, but more body and flavour

Overall: not great. Had less flavour than i was hoping for, reminds me of a generic light beer. Clean and easy drinking but boring.

The bottle claims no adjuncts but this reminded me of an adjunct lager

2.31/5  rDev -25.5%

Picked up a random bottle at the LCBO thought I would give it a try seeing that their Tankhouse is pretty decent but sadly I was let down. Very underwhelming in every aspect, I was expecting something with a little more oomph but all around it's drinkable but don't think I will be getting it again. Very malty reminds me of macro lager more than an micro brewed ale. I've had worse but I've had better.

Mill Street Stock Ale from Mill Street Brew Pub