Mill Street Lemon Tea Ale - Mill Street Brew Pub

Mill Street Lemon Tea AleMill Street Lemon Tea Ale

Mill Street Brew Pub visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

Sunset-coloured (orangey-amber) slightly sweet, malty palate with dry lemon-tea finish. Beer made with addition of Black tea leaves and lemon in aging tank. Very smooth and quenching; unfiltered.

(Beer added by: CAMRAhardliner on 05-18-2009)
Reviews by Ralphus:
3.98/5  rDev +19.5%

I'm still not sold on the idea of mixing beer and teas together, but if you're into it, this might be one of the better ones out there. Kudos to Mill St. for pulling it off.

Pours an attractive hazy orange colour with a white head that receded to a ring of foam. The smell is a simple light orange fragrance and it is pleasant.

The body has surprisingly solid malt backbone that finishes with a rather complex blend of hops, oranges and tea. It's well done and my only detraction is that it can get a little too perfumey at times.

Body is light and drinkability is a good. While not first choice on a patio there is some appeal there and all things being equal I think Mill St. have done a bang up job with this one.

1.25/5  rDev -62.5%

3.35/5  rDev +0.6%

Happy Canada Day, everyone!

Poured into a Mill St. lager glass. Looks like an iced tea beer: light copper, slightly opaque, about a 1/2 inch of head that recedes quickly into a ring.

Nose isn't too pungent, which is a good thing. Iced tea, lemon, malts, maybe a touch of yeast.

Taste isn't bad. When I first heard of this brew, I was skeptical: I tend not to like brews that advertize being "lemon" because the taste tends to be one-sided. This brew is pretty tasty: like a lemon iced-tea cooler, with just a touch of malt and yeast. Not exactly my favorite brew, but it ain't bad.

Mouthfeel is slightly watery (again, like iced tea), with a tight zip of carbonation at the finish.

Not a bad seasonal from Mill St - certainly better than I had expected, but probably not something I'll pick up on a regular basis. I don't think I could drink too many of these in a night. Worth a try though.

3.13/5  rDev -6%

473 ml served in a chilled glass..

Appearance - Beer pours very clean and clear with a decent amount of carbonation. The head is a fluffy white with some lacing. The beer is a pale yellow with a lot of clarity.

Smell - I can smell some hops along with the lemon, but surprised the lemon scent was not more dominant. As well, there is a hint of sweetness in the background.

Taste - not a bad tasting beer, the lemon is there although again not as strong as i would have assume. There is not much in the way of aftertaste either. I would say the hint of more of cold tea.

Mouthfeel - carbonation is fairly weak in the mouthfeel, but the lemon tea taste does come fwd a little bit more.

Drinkability - Something different to try, i would not go out and get it again but was happy to have sampled.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%

A pint at the brewpub in the Distillery district of downtown T-dot. Made with Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe (how so very Canadian) tea on top of their Stock Ale, apparently.

This beer appears a slightly hazy, medium orange-amber hue, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly soapy off-white head, which leaves a few rings of broad honeycombed lace around the glass as it rather quickly bleeds away.

It smells of steeping black tea, some mixed orchard fruitiness, black pepper, sharp lemon notes, and pale grainy malt, with a hint of honeyed caramel. The taste is somewhat tannic lemon iced tea, softer black pepper than on the nose, a fading generic drupe fruitiness, more pale grainy malt, and some faint earthy, leafy hops.

The carbonation is below average, just barely a tick above flat, the body medium-light in weight, yet still somehow substantial, and adequately smooth. It finishes off-dry, with a bit more lemon tea essence, and waning maltiness.

A very good approximation of when lemon-flavoured black tea and a plain-ass 'stock' ale collide. I'm duly glad that the Earl Grey's bergamot oil, which I'm altogether less than partial towards, is well obfuscated by the lemon, and equally buoyed by the workaday (my days, usually) Orange Pekoe in the mix. A decent summer quaff, overall.

3.9/5  rDev +17.1%

Pale amber orange in colour, very lightly hazy. It's thin head fizzles out fast. Aroma of lemon and tea with a slight floral edge to it, and a mild "beeriness" in the background. The packaging promises you it will taste like lemon and tea, and delivers on that promise. It's sweet but not overly so. It's a bit tangy from the lemon and wheat malt. It has mild tannic finish that any tea drinker will recognize. It's light, refreshing, easy drinking, and tastes very natural. It may not taste like beer, but it delivers on what it promises to taste like. It seems well made in that respect - this is no highly processed and artificial tasting alcopop. It's definately not Bud Light Lime or Miller Chill either, though it might appeal to the same demographics. It doubt it would appeal to the geeks. A quality summer quencher with mass appeal.

3.35/5  rDev +0.6%

On tap at C'est What Spring Festival of Craft Brewers. Average beer. Yellow with lots of lace. Middle-mouthfeel, drinkable. Yeah some lemon black tea taste. If I want that, I will get my unsweetened snapple. Probably some will like it, a novelty really, a fruit beer. Might be better with honey, I do put honey in my tea.

2.93/5  rDev -12%

Pours a dark gold. Hard pour produces almost no head. Absolutely zero retention. Visible carbonation.

Weak lemon on the nose with an unimpressive malt sweetness.

Almost like iced tea. Bit of washed out lemon. Malt is slightly grainy. Slight bitterness in the finish.

Not impressed. No body to speak of.

3.13/5  rDev -6%

a - cloudy smokey orange with basically no head

s - strong hints of orange and lemon zest, a little flowery, but also a somewhat sour scent that made me wary

t - orange & flowery dominate at first, then the lemon & tea hints are detected on the finish. Thankfully the sourish aroma did not come through on taste

m - a lasting smooth & creamy feel that was quite nice

d - pretty easy drinking, reminding me of the "white" beers that have become popular in Canada in the last couple years. Would make a nice summer patio beverage.

3.85/5  rDev +15.6%

Bottle from the brewpub. Nice to see Mill Street releasing some new stuff, there's an advertisement on the label for cans this summer. Unfiltered honey-coloured body with a light covering of bright-white head. Not too bad looking.

Lots of lemon and Earl Grey. It's hard to tell if there are hops in there; the lemon and tea might be posing as hops. Sweet candy malt. This smells pretty awesome, actually. Almost like some kind of Belgian something (though Belgian brewers achieve this kind of complexity with standard beer ingredients...).

This one comes off as being a little too "flavoured" for my liking. I was hoping the lemon would be a little subtler as found in the nose. Remember that stuff Tornado? I have a hard time enjoying anything that reminds me of that in any way. The tea aspect isn't too bad, but I feel the lemon is overpowering and artificial in character (even if it is indeed real lemon). The description states it's a "subtle lemon twist"; I disagree, there's nothing subtle about it. The ingredients list cane sugar; I'm not sure that it was needed, or it could at least be toned down. Just a little too sweet. Under all the lemon and tea is what seems to be a decent wheat beer: wheaty, bits of spice and some understated hop bitterness to dry things out a little. Not my cup of tea, so to speak, but I can see many people enjoying this one.

Fairly carbonated with lots of little foamy bubbles. Medium body. Light and refreshing, I suppose it goes well with the concept.

Tastes something like a 30/70 mix of iced tea to beer. I honestly think that if I had never tried Tornado, I would have a different opinion of this beer. For what was intended, it's a good effort; just not one that I'm entirely appreciating. I could see lots of this stuff being consumed this summer but don't think I'll be helping out with that. If I want a refreshing wheat beer in Toronto, I'll grab a Denison's.

3.8/5  rDev +14.1%

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A - one finger head from a can, yellow colour with a slight orange hue, a little patchy lacing

S - oranage, tea, wheat

T - orange, lemon, tea, wheat malt

M - some bitterness and lingering stale biscuit/metal aftertaste -light to medium body - plenty of carbonation

O - an interesting brew however somewhat unbalanced - still plenty drinkable

a flavored wheat beer.
lemon yellow can with lemon imagery. mmm lemons.
poured into a pint glass. giant frothy head. hazy lemony honey color.
lots of carbonation. noisy pint. head sticks around for a bit.
smells light and fresh. citrus spicy floral honey biscuit.
highly carbonated pleasant and refreshing.
flavor is a little toned down for i my liking but pleasant lemon tea taste and tart afterbite.
smells interesting and tastes pretty nice. not exactly the kind of lingering taste i want in a beer but not unpleasant.
nice change of taste in a beer.

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance. Pours a slightly hazy gold-amber with over a finger of smooth foamy white head that leaves some nice sheets of lace.

Smell. Ivory soap and a little lemon peel. Not especially appealing to me.

Taste. Some toasty grains, a little grassy hops and lemons with a hint of bergamot in the end.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with smooth medium-low carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall. Very nice beer for a hot summer day. The flavours work much better together than I would have expected.

3.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle: Poured a clear deep golden color ale with a large foamy head with OK retention and some lacing. Aroma of orange and tea is more dominant then expected and very unique. Taste is quite intense with lots of notes of tea and orange with a bland malt bill. Body is slightly fuller then I would have expected with good carbonation. I must admit that this was a more intense experience then I was expecting and even now I am not sure if I would want to try this often thought I wouldn't say this was a bad beer.

Mill Street Lemon Tea Ale from Mill Street Brew Pub