Mill Street Lemon Tea Ale - Mill Street Brew Pub

Mill Street Brew Pub visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: CAMRAhardliner on 05-18-2009

Sunset-coloured (orangey-amber) slightly sweet, malty palate with dry lemon-tea finish. Beer made with addition of Black tea leaves and lemon in aging tank. Very smooth and quenching; unfiltered.
to view more.
Ratings: 151 | Reviews: 72
Reviews by ThatWineGuy:
3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Tangerine hue with a large foamy beige head to start out with, sheet lace slips down the glass. While the retention was not very good, it did regenerate admirably with a swirl to the bitter lemon end. Smell was citrusy, tea aroma is unmistakeable with a lemon-lime backdrop. Taste is appropriately tart lemon with a doughy consistency, tea-like astringency is not offensive. This beer has huge novelty appeal, curious and interesting, well done for what it is and above average refreshment value. The mouthfeel has a cleansing quality to it but a slight artificial feel as well, a saccharine element of sorts that keeps it from being an exemplary beer. Still it is far superior to those coolers out there that pretend to be what they're not. Overall, this beer experiment works just fine and I'd recommend you try it, you might well want to have this on hand for a patio or pool party this summer, it would be a big hit in mixed company; bravo to Mill St. for making the effort.

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

Happy Canada Day, everyone!

Poured into a Mill St. lager glass. Looks like an iced tea beer: light copper, slightly opaque, about a 1/2 inch of head that recedes quickly into a ring.

Nose isn't too pungent, which is a good thing. Iced tea, lemon, malts, maybe a touch of yeast.

Taste isn't bad. When I first heard of this brew, I was skeptical: I tend not to like brews that advertize being "lemon" because the taste tends to be one-sided. This brew is pretty tasty: like a lemon iced-tea cooler, with just a touch of malt and yeast. Not exactly my favorite brew, but it ain't bad.

Mouthfeel is slightly watery (again, like iced tea), with a tight zip of carbonation at the finish.

Not a bad seasonal from Mill St - certainly better than I had expected, but probably not something I'll pick up on a regular basis. I don't think I could drink too many of these in a night. Worth a try though.

3.15/5  rDev -5.7%

473 ml served in a chilled glass..

Appearance - Beer pours very clean and clear with a decent amount of carbonation. The head is a fluffy white with some lacing. The beer is a pale yellow with a lot of clarity.

Smell - I can smell some hops along with the lemon, but surprised the lemon scent was not more dominant. As well, there is a hint of sweetness in the background.

Taste - not a bad tasting beer, the lemon is there although again not as strong as i would have assume. There is not much in the way of aftertaste either. I would say the hint of more of cold tea.

Mouthfeel - carbonation is fairly weak in the mouthfeel, but the lemon tea taste does come fwd a little bit more.

Drinkability - Something different to try, i would not go out and get it again but was happy to have sampled.

3.72/5  rDev +11.4%

A pint at the brewpub in the Distillery district of downtown T-dot. Made with Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe (how so very Canadian) tea on top of their Stock Ale, apparently.

This beer appears a slightly hazy, medium orange-amber hue, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly soapy off-white head, which leaves a few rings of broad honeycombed lace around the glass as it rather quickly bleeds away.

It smells of steeping black tea, some mixed orchard fruitiness, black pepper, sharp lemon notes, and pale grainy malt, with a hint of honeyed caramel. The taste is somewhat tannic lemon iced tea, softer black pepper than on the nose, a fading generic drupe fruitiness, more pale grainy malt, and some faint earthy, leafy hops.

The carbonation is below average, just barely a tick above flat, the body medium-light in weight, yet still somehow substantial, and adequately smooth. It finishes off-dry, with a bit more lemon tea essence, and waning maltiness.

A very good approximation of when lemon-flavoured black tea and a plain-ass 'stock' ale collide. I'm duly glad that the Earl Grey's bergamot oil, which I'm altogether less than partial towards, is well obfuscated by the lemon, and equally buoyed by the workaday (my days, usually) Orange Pekoe in the mix. A decent summer quaff, overall.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Pale amber orange in colour, very lightly hazy. It's thin head fizzles out fast. Aroma of lemon and tea with a slight floral edge to it, and a mild "beeriness" in the background. The packaging promises you it will taste like lemon and tea, and delivers on that promise. It's sweet but not overly so. It's a bit tangy from the lemon and wheat malt. It has mild tannic finish that any tea drinker will recognize. It's light, refreshing, easy drinking, and tastes very natural. It may not taste like beer, but it delivers on what it promises to taste like. It seems well made in that respect - this is no highly processed and artificial tasting alcopop. It's definately not Bud Light Lime or Miller Chill either, though it might appeal to the same demographics. It doubt it would appeal to the geeks. A quality summer quencher with mass appeal.

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at C'est What Spring Festival of Craft Brewers. Average beer. Yellow with lots of lace. Middle-mouthfeel, drinkable. Yeah some lemon black tea taste. If I want that, I will get my unsweetened snapple. Probably some will like it, a novelty really, a fruit beer. Might be better with honey, I do put honey in my tea.

2.94/5  rDev -12%

Pours a dark gold. Hard pour produces almost no head. Absolutely zero retention. Visible carbonation.

Weak lemon on the nose with an unimpressive malt sweetness.

Almost like iced tea. Bit of washed out lemon. Malt is slightly grainy. Slight bitterness in the finish.

Not impressed. No body to speak of.

3.11/5  rDev -6.9%

a - cloudy smokey orange with basically no head

s - strong hints of orange and lemon zest, a little flowery, but also a somewhat sour scent that made me wary

t - orange & flowery dominate at first, then the lemon & tea hints are detected on the finish. Thankfully the sourish aroma did not come through on taste

m - a lasting smooth & creamy feel that was quite nice

d - pretty easy drinking, reminding me of the "white" beers that have become popular in Canada in the last couple years. Would make a nice summer patio beverage.

3.89/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottle from the brewpub. Nice to see Mill Street releasing some new stuff, there's an advertisement on the label for cans this summer. Unfiltered honey-coloured body with a light covering of bright-white head. Not too bad looking.

Lots of lemon and Earl Grey. It's hard to tell if there are hops in there; the lemon and tea might be posing as hops. Sweet candy malt. This smells pretty awesome, actually. Almost like some kind of Belgian something (though Belgian brewers achieve this kind of complexity with standard beer ingredients...).

This one comes off as being a little too "flavoured" for my liking. I was hoping the lemon would be a little subtler as found in the nose. Remember that stuff Tornado? I have a hard time enjoying anything that reminds me of that in any way. The tea aspect isn't too bad, but I feel the lemon is overpowering and artificial in character (even if it is indeed real lemon). The description states it's a "subtle lemon twist"; I disagree, there's nothing subtle about it. The ingredients list cane sugar; I'm not sure that it was needed, or it could at least be toned down. Just a little too sweet. Under all the lemon and tea is what seems to be a decent wheat beer: wheaty, bits of spice and some understated hop bitterness to dry things out a little. Not my cup of tea, so to speak, but I can see many people enjoying this one.

Fairly carbonated with lots of little foamy bubbles. Medium body. Light and refreshing, I suppose it goes well with the concept.

Tastes something like a 30/70 mix of iced tea to beer. I honestly think that if I had never tried Tornado, I would have a different opinion of this beer. For what was intended, it's a good effort; just not one that I'm entirely appreciating. I could see lots of this stuff being consumed this summer but don't think I'll be helping out with that. If I want a refreshing wheat beer in Toronto, I'll grab a Denison's.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

A - one finger head from a can, yellow colour with a slight orange hue, a little patchy lacing

S - oranage, tea, wheat

T - orange, lemon, tea, wheat malt

M - some bitterness and lingering stale biscuit/metal aftertaste -light to medium body - plenty of carbonation

O - an interesting brew however somewhat unbalanced - still plenty drinkable

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

a flavored wheat beer.
lemon yellow can with lemon imagery. mmm lemons.
poured into a pint glass. giant frothy head. hazy lemony honey color.
lots of carbonation. noisy pint. head sticks around for a bit.
smells light and fresh. citrus spicy floral honey biscuit.
highly carbonated pleasant and refreshing.
flavor is a little toned down for i my liking but pleasant lemon tea taste and tart afterbite.
smells interesting and tastes pretty nice. not exactly the kind of lingering taste i want in a beer but not unpleasant.
nice change of taste in a beer.

3.66/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance. Pours a slightly hazy gold-amber with over a finger of smooth foamy white head that leaves some nice sheets of lace.

Smell. Ivory soap and a little lemon peel. Not especially appealing to me.

Taste. Some toasty grains, a little grassy hops and lemons with a hint of bergamot in the end.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with smooth medium-low carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

Overall. Very nice beer for a hot summer day. The flavours work much better together than I would have expected.

3.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle: Poured a clear deep golden color ale with a large foamy head with OK retention and some lacing. Aroma of orange and tea is more dominant then expected and very unique. Taste is quite intense with lots of notes of tea and orange with a bland malt bill. Body is slightly fuller then I would have expected with good carbonation. I must admit that this was a more intense experience then I was expecting and even now I am not sure if I would want to try this often thought I wouldn't say this was a bad beer.

3.89/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer was sent to me by liamt07 in september 2010. Thanks Liam.

When I saw this can, I automatically thought of Summer Hot Days Beer. Drank just after finishing cutting the grass.

Copper looking beer and slightly hazed, even though I did swirl the can after pouring 2/3rd of it. The head looks creamy but disappear quickly. The aroma is nicely balanced from citrus and tea. Couldn't expect anything else. This is actually not bad and it is inviting. On the taste, it doesn't taste like a beer but actually a lemon tea. It is very refreshing and it feels like drinking a beer. I really like this beer. Very high drinkability on this one. The taste is not off putting too so I would say this is a very good refreshing beer. I don't see myself drinking this during an evening watching football or a movie, however, this is the ultimate beer for an afternoon at the park.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%

From a 473 ml yellow can, abv stated as 5%. Pours out a deep hazy gold with a spongy white head.

Sweet citrus on the nose, while the bergamot from the Earl Grey is the next most prominent character.

Malty wheat base in the flavour, with light spikes of citrus and iced tea round out the flavour, light orange on the finish.

Medium-light body, assertive carbonation, it totally works for what they're aiming at.

Very approachable yet nothing remarkable. No off flavours though. Hot summer weather lawnmower beer at best, and it would do the job well in that aspect.

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

473ml can from the LCBO. Pours a golden orange with a hint of tea like color, a finger of head with almost no retention.

Nose is a mix of iced tea and caramel malt, a weird hint of something yeasty invades as well. A real odd duck, although not altogether bad. Dry earl gray meets a dash of lemon, a hint of sweetness, a slightly clashing grassy hop profile, biscuity malt base. Drinkable, light body with a bit of edgy carb - easily satiating but there's still a bit of an off yeastiness that throws me off and makes it less enjoyable.

A unique experiment but not something I would rave about. A few tweaks could make this quite nice though.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Picked this up on a day trip to Ottawa last month. Had it last Sunday night with my spaghetti while watching the Oscars.

Poured from a 473ml. can.

Appearance: A generous white head with creamy texture, almost like a nitro pour. Body is clear and yellow-gold. Retention is average and no traces or lacing left on glass.

Smell: Lemon and soapy a little. Not bad.

Taste: Very bland at first then gets marginally better as it warms a little. The lemon is quite weak though my wife says she definitely tastes the tea.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and very light-bodied as per the style though it tends to migrate too much to a watery feel and it's not very alive.

Drinkability: Easy drinking but not much to keep my interest.

Overall: Not feeling it. I guess it's not my cup of tea (*groan*).

3.87/5  rDev +15.9%

473 mL can, chilled and poured into a pilsner glass.

Apperance- Pours a clear golden amber colour with a huge three fingers of soapy white head that very quickly dissipates to a nice bubbly top eventually surrendering a bubbly ring leaving

Smell- The smells coming from this one are very interesting, but in a good way. I definitely do get the lemon and tea aromas right away which are quite inviting. There is a somewhat weird aroma that I can’t really put my finger on, and other than the lemon aromas there’s not too much else going on here.

Taste- The tastes are actually better than the smells, the lemon tea aromas come through so much better in the tastes, it actually does taste like a lemon tea; to be honest it also really reminds of a box of fruit loops both in the tastes and aromas. Some mild malty grain flavours coming through in the background as well, I’m not really getting much hops but maybe that’s because I am used to hop dominated American IPA’s?

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with what starts off with ample carbonation that quickly turns into a below average carbonation, it is a very smooth, crisp, and refreshing beer though.

Overall- Very interesting beer here from a very quality Ontario craft brewery, I know it’s not your average beer and I haven’t seen any other lemon tea beers out there (and I make trips down to the states monthly). But for how out there this beer may be, it is something that you probably don’t want to miss, especially for you lemon and tea lovers this is a no brainer. I would definitely get this one again to sit down on my patio and drink it during a hot summer night, congrats Mill St. yet again another very quality beer, you keep showing us Ontarioins what you’re really made of.

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - The beer pours a hazy amber colour with a massive fizzy and frothy off white head. (Aggressive pour) I can't make out much carbonation due to the haziness of the beer. It looks like there is some excellent lacing, and the head stuck around for more than a few minutes.

Smell - Lemon, tea, wheat, sugar sweetness

Taste & Mouth - There isn't a whole lot of carbonation, but the beer feels nice and smooth. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is a glass of iced tea. There are prominent lemon and tea flavors, also lots of sugar and wheat. It might fall under the slightly watery category, but not by much. It finishes with a bittersweet lemon aftertaste.

Drink - Another one of those beers that gets points for originality. I can see how it may appeal to some, especially on warm days, but it is not my style of beer. Definitely worth a try though.

3.02/5  rDev -9.6%

473ml can from the LCBO, shared with my girlfriend in a couple pint glasses.

Poured a filtered golden amber, with 3 or so fingers of fluffy head that fades as fast as it appeared. A thin ring of head remains, no lacing and no retention. Nose has some lemony and grassy hops, loads of lemon tea (surprise, surprise!), a general sweetness to it and darker (almost Earl Grey-like) herbal notes. Taste is super fizzy initially, again some thin and watery lemon tea, sweet malt and very mild hops. Some tea 'leafiness' in the finish. Mouth was thin and watery, super high carbonation. Drinkability isn't horrible, and definitely suited to the summer patio. Lemon tea for sure, and I'll give it a little more credit for nailing that, if unspectacularly.

4.14/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a lightly hazed golden honey hue with one finger of fluffy paper white head that quickly boils down to a ring and leaves only a small amount of spotted lace.

All of the ingredients are listed on the back of the label and all are easily detectable; meshing wonderfully, making a refreshing boquet that consists of lemon meringue with a dollop of cane sugar, faint wheat, semi-sweet orange pekoe and earl gray tea.

A good balance is achieved between the sweetness of the cane sugar and lemon puree and the herbal character of the teas that sweeps across the palate. The finish is of sweet lemons, almost reminiscent of iced tea; sweet but pleasantly so.

Mouthfeel is light, a bit wet, with a nice refreshing dose of carbonation. Very well balanced and a fantastic quaffer.

If Mill Street was aiming for the perfect summer beer, they hit it almost spot on. I was lucky enough to find this in the loose bin, allowing me to not commit to the mixed 6, but with their Pilsner thrown in, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up. In terms of their bottled beer, I'd say this one sits on par with the best Mill Street has to offer.

3.54/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: It has a nice clear golden/yellow color to it. It has a nice thick off-white head that dies down moderately and leaves no lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of lemon, citrus, iced tea and grainy malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a lemony flavor with citrus notes, iced tea like sweetness and some grainy malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/medium carbonation with a decent overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with light but decent flavors and aromas.

3.59/5  rDev +7.5%

This was one of the draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary.
This beer arrived looking slightly hazy, brown orange liquid with a short chunky head. Foam quickly faded leaving no lace.
It smells of black tea, along with some caramel malt sweetness. The taste has a distinctive iced tea flavor. I was pleasantly suprised by both the aroma and taste, with the iced tea coming through nicely, but still not overpowering. Refreshing lemon finish.
The carbonation is average, the body light, would make a great hot weather / summer drink.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%

Of the six varieties inside the Mill Street sampler I picked up, this is probably the weirdest, but I am still pretty eager to try it. Pours a slightly hazy golden-copper color, with a thin fizzy head that fizzes itself right out of existence in a few seconds, similar to soda pop. Smell is of sour lemon and wheat, maybe a bit of an iced-tea vibe to it but that could just be the lemon.

Taste is definitely different, but not in a bad way. The lemon and soda pop carbonation are the most notable things, but there is some barley malt sweetness underlying it, as well as spice, but wheat is the main flavor. The aftertaste is dominated by lemon and tea bitterness. Carbonation is quite high and very biting on the tongue; very suitable for a hot day.Thin-to-medium bodied; slightly creamy.

I have a feeling this is the kind of brew people either love or hate, and I think I tend toward the former. If you're a purist and don't like the taste of tea or fruit in your beer, you probably shouldn't bother with this - without those pretensions though, this is a refreshing summer beer and is worth a try.

2.7/5  rDev -19.2%

Hazy orange appearance with thick white head that slowly settles down. Smell mainly consists of citrus and orange, picked up some brown sugar.

Taste also consists of citrus and orange. Picked up some sweetness, has a bitter finish. Taste is very light though, doesn't fit the smell. Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is dry with a lingering orange taste.

I'm surprised that this is 4.9% ABV from the light taste. Interesting and alternative beer but doesn't have enough kick to it. If you want to try something different, check it out, otherwise it's nothing special.

to view more.