Mill Street Vanilla Porter - Mill Street Brew Pub

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Viggo on 12-12-2009

1.89/5  rDev -46.9%

On tap at Rhino.

Appearance- As in another review, the colour is reminiscent of a vanilla bean brown, rich but not lacking in clarity. Expectations tended towards a lighter interpretation of porter

Smell- Not sure if this is more a comment on the pub than the beer, because one of them has made a mistake. Nice vanilla notes were overpowered by a metallic aroma, very offputting.

Taste- Sweet and Sour? Vanilla and sugars are certainly present, malts weren't pronounced but brought somewhat a balance to the syrupy vanilla flavour. All this again was overpowered by what tasted like old pennies (mate compared it to licking batteries), so much so that we requested a different beer, citing that the keg had clearly been contaminated. Staff argued that each keg they've had has tasted like this, so who were we to argue. There was also a strong sourness not unlike a lambic, this beer was not right.

Mouthfeel- Thin and cloying, tail of taste lingered on the palette like a vinegary wine.

Drinkability- Will give this another chance if I encounter it, but if this beer was right, it's definitely a huge blunder by the usually reliable mill street.

2.11/5  rDev -40.7%

Got this one from Hopsolutely this past summer. Cheers guys!

From a 16oz can into a snifter

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour produces a 1 ½ finger, thicker looking, creamy, off-white head with excellent retention. Nice cascading effect from the nitro as well. Clear dark brown body with no bubbles at all. Head slowly fades to a thick cap. A film remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the glass. Nice head and cascading effect, but a very light colored body, even for a porter.

SMELL: Vanilla, some milk chocolate and sweet cream, with light hints of roasted grain as well. Lots of vanilla. Vanilla bomb for sure.

TASTE: Again, heavy on the vanilla extract up front. Dried fruit and lightly roasted notes at the swallow, then a bold and lingering finish of vanilla extract, dried fruit, a bit of burnt malt and some leather flavors as well. Touches of chocolate bitterness under the vanilla and caramel sweetness, but this is all artificial vanilla extract all the time.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Not quite as creamy as expected for the style, unfortunately. Goes down fine and finishes a touch dry on the palate. A bit watery here.

OVERALL: Hate to say it, but this pretty bad. The vanilla tastes very artificial and the overall flavor is a touch too sweet to really be enjoyable. Wasn’t able to finish any more than half the can before I was forced to water the flowers a bit. This is unfortunate, as their Cobblestone Stout is so well done. Avoid this one in the future. Cheers again guys!

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%

Didn't know what to expect on trying this. I poured it into a glass and knew right off the bat it was going to be a love it or hate it situation. Colour was very dark brown blocking all light going through the glass, good foam and very strong but enjoyable smell.

One sip and I was overwhelmed with a taste of chocolate and vanilla. Not much beer here. Extremely sweet and too thick. I couldn't stomach it. Tried to take another sip and had to call it quits. Definitely has a niche market but I doubt a go-to drink for any beer lover.

2.49/5  rDev -30.1%

Looks great, nice head, decent lacing.
Smell, vanilla.
All downhill from there.
I love vanilla, but, this porter is so overpowering with vanilla it is almost non drinkable.
Waited to review this until I had it a second time. Won't be having it a third.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Typical porter look with an absolutely perfect and long-lasting head. Weak lacing present, which tickles my fancy as I dislike strong lacing on darker brews for some irrational reason. This baby looks great in a glass. Aroma is somewhat pleasant. Vanilla and coffee tones are present, with an underlying yeast-like scent which slightly puts me off. Mouthfeel is much more watery than I expected for a beer of this colour and consistency. The taste is somewhat of a mixed bag for a palate as distinguished as mine. Lots of vanilla, coffee, and barley with slight wheat and chocolate notes. The can describes "an underlying tone of dried fruit" which I cannot taste. Unless yeast is a fruit, which it is not. Not much of an aftertaste besides a residual yeasty taste which disturbs me.

This brew looks excellent and tastes quite mediocre. Mill Street's Cobblestone Stout is a much more refined brew. I feel as though this brew would be excellent after a number of improvements. There are better porters for the money.

On a side note, I wish that this beer had some banana flavours. At first, I thought that the flower on the can was a banana, but on second glance I realized that I was wrong. I drank this porter wearing pyjamas, so I would have loved to have bananas in pyjamas. My dream was crushed upon drinking this brew. I did not take into account my fantasy in my review and rating of this brew.

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%

On tap at the brewpub.

Comes to the table with a wonderfully cascading creamy off-white head. Huge sheets of lace, and an ever present nice cap round off a nice nitro appearance, which is only marred by the fact that the russet coloured body is off base for a porter. Sadly, while the nitro works wonders for the body, it kills the aroma. All I get is faint vanilla and chocolate malt.

The flavour is decent enough, but completely lacking the roast of a porter, and as its advertised as such, is a rare fail for Mill Street. There's certainly nice chocolate and vanilla notes that make this a pleasant drinker, but little else and certainly nothing in the character of a real porter. A porter on nitro is a bit strange anyway, but its does lend a smoothness to this beer that works well with the chocolate and vanilla flavours.

It was a pleasant drink, but if you come across it do not expect anything like the porter style.

2.83/5  rDev -20.5%

Picked out two 500ml cans of this stuff at an LCBO. I won't say which LCBO, but it's much better known for its selection of deeply-chilled discount Ontario macros and mass-produced Euro-pilsners than it is for its craft brews.

When I arrived at the till, the clerk asked me if I'd tried it yet. I said I hadn't. She excitedly informed me that it was an amazing beer, but that it had to be served really cold. She recommended that I remove it from the fridge and put it in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes before serving. She then warned me about the dangers of leaving beer in the freezer too long. Had there not been a lineup I might have asked to hear the rest of that story.

I chilled the beer for significantly less than the recommended time, then slowly poured it into an imperial pint glass. It poured quicker than expected, but cascaded into a dark mahogany body with a soft, fluffy, half-inch beige head. Gorgeous.

For some reason I expected a dark-chocolate and vanilla nose, but it was more of a milk chocolate truffle. A bit of spice and dark syrup (black cherry?) lingered underneath.

Upon first sip, I immediately noticed the mouthfeel. It was very thin for a porter. I felt like I had to go digging for the malts. Chocolate syrup, roasted coffee beans. Not special and not enough malt character. Then came a wave of "flavour" that made me wish I'd heeded the red flags that were waved in my face at the LCBO. The vanilla tasted generic, artificial and added rather than integrated. Some caramel and dark fruit. A bit coppery as well.

Overall quite disappointing. Not enough malt character for a porter. It's almost as if they took their excellent Cobblestone Stout and threw some artificial flavour at it.

That second can may well be served as a dessert beer, and I just might take LCBO Lady up on her serving suggestion and give it the deep freeze first.

2.84/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Very dark red, on the light side for a porter, with 1.5 fingers of creamy off-white head, good retention and lacing. Strong vanilla smell with hints of toasted bread, toffee, and dark fruits. Taste is very light and sweet, with strong rich vanilla all over the place, a lot of caramel malt, disappointingly slight roast flavor and only a hint of chocolate on the finish. Steady background of hop bitterness throughout. Light, smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

I really love vanilla - favorite ice cream flavor and everything - but I'm afraid that the vanilla and caramel sweetness are rather overpowering here, and it doesn't quite come together for me as a porter. I'm glad I tried it and I wouldn't turn it down if offered but I doubt I would buy it more than once a year. Mind you it would be gorgeous for baking.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Pours dark brown with lots of tan head that dissipates.

Nose has vanilla, coffee, malt.

Taste follows nose closely. However it feels and tastes light and more watery than I expected and had hoped.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the brew pub, 9th July 2013.

Pours a dark red-brown colour. Definitely too pale for porter. Head is nice, dense ecru foam. Decent lace. Looks great, apart from the colour which is just wrong.

Smells tasty. Very sweet, with vanilla making itself very much felt, then giving way to caramelly malts and a touch of crême brulée. Wouldn't mind more roast or chocolate notes, but it's still a very enticing desserty smell.

Taste is quite watery upfront, I think yet another flow-on effect from insufficient dark malt for the style. Vanilla midway is quite nice, sweet with a touch of spice; cinnamon mostly. Finishes maybe slightly bitter with a touch of chocolate, which maybe demonstrates that there is malt, and maybe it's chocolate malt or slightly roasted, but not nearly enough.

Surprisingly decent body upfront, but gets thin very quickly. Not great.

Vanilla yes, porter definitely not. From the marketing around this pub it almost seems to me like they're afraid of putting people off with big-flavoured brews. I get that but this effort is just weak. No brewer should ever be afraid of making a proper dark beer. They can still be sweet, tasty and drinkable anyway.

tastes ok like the coffee porter not keen on the device they put in bottom of can made the can basicly explode when opened lost half a beer

3.02/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

On tap at Mill Street. From the pour, this appeared to be nitro, so I have reviewed it as a nitro-tap.

A - Poured and settled like Guinness. Started out a murky medium brown coloured which cascaded from the top to the bottom and settled dark brown, almost black with only small amounts of light passing through on the edges.

S - Vanilla with subdued roasted malts in the background.

T - The vanilla is dominant and at times tastes very synthetic. Roasted malts are present in the background. A fairly simple beer and one dimensional beer.

M - Medium body and creamy. Light carbonation.

Mill Street Vanilla Porter from Mill Street Brew Pub