Oak Aged Stout (Blended) - Glacier Brewhouse

American Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 03-26-2006

Reviews by ccrida:
4.88/5  rDev n/a

Wow, was this a great beer. Their regular Oatmeal stout, aged in bourbon, wine and Hungarian oak barrels and blended. On draft at the brewpub in a shaker pint. Dark black with a moderate, garnet tinged, dark tan head, that was thick and clingy.
The smell was rich, dark fruit, rum and chocolate.
The taste was miles deep. I can really taste the wine and bourbon, lots of vanilla and caramel, some sour cherry, a tan vinous (a la shiraz), and lots of other more ephemeral notes. This is just one of the best beers I've had in a while, aside from the Alaska Baltic Porter I had the night before, which was equally fantastic. Very balanced though and masterfully blended, none much of that 'strait' oak that can overwhelm some barrel aged beers. Compared to a sample of the regular Oatmeal stout, which I had first and enjoyed, it's night and day - miles ahead, and heard to believe it was the same brew.
The mouthfeel was just smooth as silk, the oats aged really well, creamy and on the lighter side.
This was so drinkable, I could have moved to Anchorage for this beer alone if I knew it was in steady supply! Along with the Alaskan Baltic Porter, the best beers I've had in memory, and the bar none best dark beers I've ever had.

4.33/5  rDev n/a

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery. I'm a fan of their regular oatmeal, so I had high expectations. This one had more of a chalky and woody flavor that dominated and perhaps overpowered the traditional oatmeal stout flavors. Reminded me of whoppers candy. Was fairly drinkable, even with the heavier flavors.

Oak Aged Stout (Blended) from Glacier Brewhouse
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.