1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale - Atlantic Brewing Company

Bar Harbor Blueberry AleBar Harbor Blueberry Ale

Atlantic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. As opposed to many of the sweeter fruit beers on the market, our addition of fresh Maine wild blueberries in this light ale yields a subtle blueberry aroma, without the sweet aftertaste. A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.

(Beer added by: Jason on 12-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Lighter than I expected based on some other's reviews. A rich foam with a moderate amount of lacing.

S: A strong blueberry aroma with a mixture of hops. Pleasant overall unlike some other fruit beers.

T: Less blueberry tasting than I imagined based on the strong aroma from the pour. The blueberry is definitely there in the middle of the taste, but each sip (or gulp) ends in a confusing taste I can only describe as somewhat acidic.

M: A tad over-carbonated. Probably not a great choice for a November evening. This is more a warm weather beer in retrospect.

D: I bought a single at the Hop Shop in order to fill out a 12 pack. No need to get more now, but I may try again in the spring or summer.

xfactor9600, Dec 10, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -4.6%

I picked this up on a whim. I don't usually pick up fruit beers, and when I do I'm looking for something more like the New Glarus Belgian Red or some of the beers done by The Livery. But I'll give it a shot.

A: Poured into a pint glass. Actually a little darker than I was expecting, but it's definitely a light colored beer. Some lively carbonation to it, about a half inch or so of head. Well carbonated, I fear overly so.

S: I didn't even finish pouring it before I could smell the blueberries, that's a good start. I actually really like the smell. Some subtle hops in there, but mostly blueberry and some yeast.

T: Tart. After smelling it, there's less blueberry to the taste than I was expecting, but they're in there and they're good. The hops do a nice job of balancing the sweetness of the blueberries, but don't take away from the fruit at all.

M: A little over-carbonated, I would take it down just a notch. Probably would be good on a warm sunny day, December in Wisconsin probably isn't the best month to be drinking this beer.

D: I'll finish the pint, but I don't think I'll have a second. I would have another when I'm out sometime, but I wouldn't seek it out or choose it over another good fruit beer.

aggiearcher13, Dec 04, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Clear looking, with a decent head. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Blueberries. Trace scent of hops. But...blueberries.

Taste: Blueberries with some hop flavor, and some grains/breadiness. Hops is used to balance out the sweetness of the blueberries. Does that well.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fine, light bodied. Goes down crisp.

Drinkability: Refreshing, tastes fine (albeit fruity), with a good hop balance. Light as well. Not bad.

kshankar, Dec 02, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours to a light golden color with a thin white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing. Aroma is not real strong, but is a pleasant blueberry fruity scent. Mouthfeel is relatively thin and slightly carbonated. The flavor was a bit disappointing, as it tasted more like artificial flavoring than true blueberry. All and all, an okay summer cooler, but one better left to the ladies.

kimcgolf, Dec 01, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I should start this out by saying I do not like wheat, or berry styled ales. I can however be subjective.

This beer is not overly sweet, but a little too sweet for me. The finish is what I disliked most about this beer! It is in no way sour (a plus) but is not going to be on my list of beers to drink again. If you like wheat styled or berry styled ales this one may be for you as several of my friends tend to like this beer. Give it a shot and see what you think.

ncbeermonger, Nov 29, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +13.6%

I swear I think Blueberry Ales are a guilty pleasure for me. They are often frowned upon, yet when they are executed well I really enjoy them.

I got a bottle of this in Maine a month ago and it showed a best before date of March of '09. Seemed like a long time so I didn't want to wait anywhere near that long.

The beer was a very nice looking beer. A two finger white foamy head that faded fairly quickly. Totally clear and a bright amber color with almost exclusively a traditional copper color. Some spotty lacing remained.

Aroma was fresh and of blueberries and toasted grains. Very nice.

Flavor was well balanced, fresh and light. A punch of blueberry up front, then it moves to a nice toasted malt, doughy bread flavor. Some subtle hop bitterness comes in and plays nice with the sweetness. Back to a smooth and subtle blueberry finish.

I admit that I love the actual berries and this must be why I enjoy these.

Mouth feel was light and refreshing. Almost crisp. A good effort and very drinkable.
When I visit Maine next summer, I'll have one of these.

Not a complex Belgian, but for what it is, it's a good effort.

Reagan1984, Nov 28, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz bottle.

Poured a medium, see through, copper color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas and tastes of, guess what, blueberries. Smells like my wife's blueberry pancake mix. Medium sweet. Even though it was one dimensional, I thought this one wasn't bad.

Notes from 2/20/05

hopdog, Nov 21, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Unlike many fruit infused beers that fail where they should succeed this one does not. The aroma has blueberries, malt, bread, yeast, and some vegetable smells. The appearance is amber with a smaller sized head. The flavor is sweet malt and fruit with blueberries dominating the taste. There is a bitterness that is light and most obvious in the finish. The palate is thin and suitable for a hot weather beer. My advice is to try it.

nick76, Nov 20, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a somewhat cloudy consistency. Not a whole lot of head or lacing.

S: Smelled of blueberries and hops, but not much else. A pleasant smell.

T: Flavor had blueberries, mild hops and malt up front, but was thin going down. Left an unpleasant aftertaste.

M: A decent amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a highly uneven beer. The taste is simply a real drawback here. Could be better than it is.

avalon07, Nov 10, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -33.5%

Quick review - medium to foamy in the mouth (as it warms), mildly bitter hoppy tasting and smelling, blueberry seems to be largely in the smell.

I poured it in a standard American pint glass. The color was an orangey/dark brown that made me think of carrots for some reason with a thick head that dissipated leaving no lacing.

It smelled slightly hoppy and definitely bluberry. No surprise.

The taste was slightly hoppy, slightly bitter, and very slightly blueberry. As the beer warmed, the bitter-ness almost turned artificial or chemical.

The mouthfeel was medium thick, foaming as it warmed.

I had this beer once. That was enough.

TeeCee, Nov 08, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a murky pale amber color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of blueberry pie. There isn't really any malt or hops in it, but it is strong and pleasant nonetheless. The taste has the same blueberry pie thing they aroma has, but with the addition of some malty tones in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a little too much carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer. While I am not a huge fan of fruit beers I have come to the conclusion that blueberries can add a lot to a beer. This beer, however, relies too much on the fruit, and could be better if it had more of a malt depth.

KarlHungus, Sep 24, 2008
3.84/5  rDev +11%

This is by far one of the best fruit beers I've had. Just the right amount of blueberry kick without being too syrupy and too hard to drink. Pours a nice beautiful golden red and smells of fresh blueberries. I will definitely be purchasing this one again.

oriolesfan4, Sep 20, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Paid around $1.60 for a single...

The beer pours a clear amber colored base with a small head, limited retention and no lacing. Aromas screem blueberry pancakes without the maple syrup.

The taste is limited yet pleasant. Sweet malts at first with the blueberries up next... low carbonation, low-to-moderate body. Good in the mouth but not great without any head... very drinkable at 5.2% and could probably drink two or three in a row per session.

Final Thought: Blueberry beer is only good if you like the fruit... if so, it's a well-rounded beer.

mobyfann, Aug 31, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -10.4%

poured from a Bottle pours pale amber yellow.Small head goes fast. Light Smell of Blueberries and Malt. Taste it is not as I thought more an Ale lots of Malt Then a Blueberry Ale has a bit of Blueberry at the end but I was disapointed. Feels nice in your mouth not much Fizz. You can drink a few but it is not one that says have another I am very disapointed.
"Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food"

Schmidts, Aug 29, 2008
1.7/5  rDev -50.9%

12oz bottle

Pours a foul and murky reddish, brown color, with no visible head to speak of and no visible rising carbonation, flat Jack Lalane juicer concoction. That synthetic, mass produced and processed BLUEberry aroma is all you will find in the nose and nothing more, it smells blue. Tart and rancid blue berry balanced by a sweet malty base while tasting. Dull carbonation pulls the plug on this dying brew for me. At least if it had some mouth feel brightness it would have maybe been enjoyable. I found it to be cloying sweet, limp in body and murky in flavor. Not recommended.

ATPete, Aug 21, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

This was a good to average looking brew, deep golden copper with little to no head or lacing.

Smelled heavy of malt and blueberries. Review before me said it was a syrup smell and I highly agree. It is like the blueberry syrup at like an IHOP.

Taste is identical to the smell with the fruit flavor dominating at the end.

Mouthfeel was a bit to carbonated.

But could drink one or two of these.

GoodKnight1220, Aug 20, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

This beer pours a light copper color with a two finger frothy head. It smells like blueberry and syrup; fruity but sweet. The taste is relatively light, with blueberries predominating, but with a cloyingly sweet aftertaste. This left a slight stickiness in my mouth. After starting my second one, the stickiness started wearing on me a bit. Definitely a one and done beer.

Atricapilla, Aug 17, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +30.9%

Tasted like fresh blueberrys. Better yet. Blueberry syrup on pancakes... where do the pancakes come from? I dont know? But its amazing. A smooth refreshing beer, that tastes like blueberrys. Real blueberries. No tartness or bland stale taste. Easy to drink. Its an all around great beer. Definitely drinkable with any season. TRY IT!

nrpellegrini, Aug 09, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +4.9%

a bit bitter for my taste, the blueberry is nice though. this is just to dark for me, i prefur a golden color for a blueberry, this one is an amber, it was nicer the warmer it got and after about 3 bottles it went down smother, this would be nice after mowing the lawn or a round of disc golf or any outher activity in the hot sun.

orcasteve, Jul 16, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had in a bottle with a freshness date of Dec 2008.

A: Bright amber color, with lots of carbonation. One finger off white head with minimal head.

S: Didn't get much of a smell, even after letting it warm just a bit. Faint hint of berries (blueberries, I figured that out all on my own).

T: Tasted better then the smell. Some berry and caramel blended together.

M: A bitter beer aftertaste, with some tinges of berries.

D: I am trying to explore different genres of beer. Some of the fruit beers are too sweet for me to enjoy more than one in a sitting. Overall, it was worth the shot. I probably would have another, trying it on tap if I could.

IronCitySteve, Jul 09, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -22.5%

Fills a pint glass with a violet-red liquid and a large frothy head which immediately dissipates to a thin shadow of its former self.

The blueberries are on steroids and overpower everything beery within this glass.

Blueberries dominate, but less so here than with the aroma. The fruit flavors are stronger than my preference, but perhaps this is an entry port for those less enamored by beer flavors.

Blueberry Ale is clean up front, but leaves an undesirable film middle to end.

Okay...some would reach for more of this; however, one was enough for me.

SLeffler27, Jun 08, 2008

Picked this up for the wife in her tour de blueberry beers that she loves so much. Personally found this one to be a sleeper of a winner.

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Amber with a thin eggshell head.

N: Nothing but pure blueberry muffin. Best smelling blueberry beer I can remember- inviting. Some malt as well, nice.

T: There are blueberries here but not overkill like many of the fake flavors that come through in these (see seadog/wild blue). It tasted like an ale and tasted strongly like the aroma- tasty blueberry muffin.

M: Awfully crisp and not cloyingly sweet. Again, left the aftertaste of eating fresh homemade muffin.

D: Very drinkable and enjoyable. I do not like the style but can appreciate this one on a hot summer day.

marcpal, Jun 01, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: Pours a nice copper amber color with a two finger head and lacing.

Aroma: Mild blueberry aroma with malty undertones. Standard fruit beer.

Taste: Blueberry shows through upfront and in the middle. Tastes like it's a wheat beer. Smooth and some hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Blueberry taste is "fade to back" which means that it starts out decent upfront and fades towards the back of the throat. I feel that it's not strong enough to actually mean anything.

Drinkability: Very drinkable with cold cuts. Heh. Refreshing. Simple. Gotta give it points for that. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking and you'll be fine.

Brad007, May 19, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +15%

Brew pours to a dull copper color with a fair sized head that has very good retention The aroma has a clear blueberry aroma that is actually quite inviting. The flavors while having a strong blueberry flavor is not over powering and quite good especially when mixed with a nice amount of carbonation. The end has a nice amount of caramel toasted flavor that wraps things up very nicely. I will admit that fruit brews are not normally my cup-of-tea but this one really seems to hit the spot. Not sure when I would have the chance to get more of these but if I could I would. Nice brew for the summer.

Stimack, May 19, 2008

12 oz bottle, undated

A - An amberish color with very little haze. The head is initially large but fades very quickly.

S - More of a malt flavor than the blueberrys - but it finishes with the light fruity notes I would expect from a fruit spiced beer.

T - The first flavor is some very light sweet malt flavors. The middle is very light bitter hops balance to the sweet malt. Very light blueberry flavor - which is only present in the late aftertaste of the beer.

M - Has some sharp feel to it, which is probably due to its heavier carbonation.

D- Easy drinking beer - although I can find this one being more filling than some of the other beers in the collection. A nice change of pace though.

For a fruit flavored beer, I'd like the background it brings to be more pronounced. Otherwise, very good.

katan, May 18, 2008