Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale - Atlantic Brewing Company

Atlantic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 12-13-2001

A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. As opposed to many of the sweeter fruit beers on the market, our addition of fresh Maine wild blueberries in this light ale yields a subtle blueberry aroma, without the sweet aftertaste. A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale Alström Bros
2.62/5  rDev -24.5%

A - Pours a deep amber with some hints of orange. Very clear, lightly carbonated, little head that become none within minutes.

S - Blueberries, in fact way more blueberry smell than I would have thought possible. Some biscuit aroma and sweetness really give this a blueberry muffin smell. Certainly unique, but quite nice.

T - Oops, that blueberry smell doesn't come through in the taste. Tastes more like an artificial blueberry syrup and it quite tart, like a blueberry sweet tart if they make such a thing. If this is hopped it is so light as to be almost non existent and the sweetness is cloying.

M - Thin with little feel, for being sweet it has very little body.

D - One is plenty, more of a topic of conversation beer than something you want to drink. Worth trying to know what blueberry beer is like, but after that...you won't need another.

2.26/5  rDev -34.9%

A - Reddish/orange, light cream-white head that quickly dissolves to nothing, no lacing, and small slow rising bubbles

S - Mild blueberry aroma and a hint of hops, not overly fruity

T - Beer with blueberries ont a blueberry beer like others I've had. It has a crisp finish and a little hop flavor. The more you drink the blueberry tends to get lost.

M - Very light but with a surprising amount of carbonation compared with how it looks

D - I found this to be more like a pale ale and it was a bit unbalanced between the sweetness and hops

Served - 12oz bottle poured into small glass mug

3.61/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a nice amber color with a huge off-white colored head that possesses excellent lacing and retention. Very impressive appearance.

S- The aroma is some malt and a good dose of blueberries with some yeast as well.

T- The taste like the aroma features some malt with blueberry flavoring as well.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Not bad, especially for a fruit beer. Not overly sweet like I was worried. Not something I would want to drink all night, but it is something different that is a nice change of pace.

3.69/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz bottle with freshness date on the side, label as pictured above. "America's Original Blueberry Ale".
Pours a clear, copper color with a small light tan head. No real retention, foam quickly shrank and disappeared, no lace.
Smells like sweet blueberries, clean and fresh. Some light bready malt. Taste mirrors the smell. Blueberries are prominent, some malt in the background. No real hoppiness, just malt and fruity sweetness. High carbonation leaves a bubbly tingle mouthfeel. Light, slightly thin and watery. Very nice example of a fruit beer.

2.89/5  rDev -16.7%

From notes taken at the Brickskeller in Washington, D.C.

A: Pours a light copper with a decent appreciable amount of off-white head.

S: Strong whiff of blueberries with a slight yeast flavor at the end.

T: Blueberries mixed with a yeast-y cooked veggie taste and an artificial hop bitterness at the end. I wish the blueberry taste was as full and fragrant as it smelled.

M: Somewhat thin and lager-like.

D: Really, just a typical BMC with artificial blueberry taste. Rename it "Bud Light Blueberry", and you're all set. Overall, I wasn't very impressed with this beer and I don't think I'll have another.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Pours a hazy light copper. Very small head that goes very quickly. Looks oily.

S- The aroma is of blueberries.

T - The blueberry taste is not nearly as strong as the blueberry aroma. Light hoppy taste

M- Feels very dry all taste disappears quickly.

D- I like the beer, as with other fruit beers I wouldn't make it a regular , but it is a nice change of pace. I think it would go well on a hot summer day.

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Pours a clear amber with a small off-white head. Lacing is fairly light.

S - Blueberries dominate, as expected. There are also some caramel malt notes and grassy hops in there as well.

T - Again, dominated by blueberries. The fruit flavors are balanced nicely by the malts and a subtle hop presence.

M - Medium-bodied, finishes dry and clean.

D - Much better than some other fruit beers I've had (I'm looking at you, BBC), though I probably won't be having it again. It's easy enough to drink, but I just couldn't get into it.

3.87/5  rDev +11.5%

Served in a Duvel Tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle. I scaveneged this one from my 'cellar' with freshness dated to Feb. of last year. Still good, though.

A - standard orange-brown ale with a shade of violet. Almost looks like a mature red wine.

S - Lots of vibrant, fresh blueberry over the yeasty, hoppy aroma. Excellent.

T - At first I thought "Where did the blueberries go?" as I tasted almost nothing of them on my first sip. Continued sips yielded a subtle, pleasant blueberry flavor to an otherwise standard ale.

M - Leaves a slight tingle on the tongue with its high carbonation. Otherwise, appropriately smooth and medium-bodied.

D - Very drinkable. It leaves little bitterness on the palate, and isn't very heavy at all. If I had more, I'd definitely drink another one.

Overall - The blueberry isn't exactly perfectly melded with the ale, but it is an enjoyable brew. Give it a try if you like some fruitiness in your beer.

3.74/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle with freshness date on the side, but not notched correctly.

Pours a clear, brassy to copper color with a 1/4 inch light tan head. Retention is low, quickly leaving some light foam on the surface.

Smells like mildly, sweet blueberries and yeast. Almost like a blueberry muffin, but more bready.

Taste resembles the nose in a light bodied easy drinker. HInts of blueberries in a field of light malts and white bread tasting yeast. High carbonation on the mouthfeel leaving a slight waxiness on my tongue.

It's a bit thin or watery at times, but overall a nice, light example for it's style.

3.78/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a copper color with a small white head with not much retention and no lacing.

S: Very impressive strong scent of blueberries, smell like fresh blueberry muffins.

T&M: Malty with some hops upfront with a strong blueberry overtone all the way through the semi-dry finish. Pretty well carbonated and very smooth.

Overall: Pretty good for the style, I thought that blueberry would be a tough one to pull of but this beer did a great job. Pretty drinkable, I think it would be much more enjoyable on a hot summer day, a six pack might be hard to finish but if you see single bottles pick one up for sure.

3.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Out of a bottle this brew was a nearly opaque, chestnut color with two fingers of beach-sand head. The retention was moderate, the lacing sticky and spotty. The aroma was sweet and rich, full of blueberries and caramel malt. The flavors were not as appealing however, blueberries but also brown rice and a general grainy character along with orange rind from the hops that added a semi-bitter finish. A weird combination. The mouthfeel was a little rough, due to the higher, prickly carbonation. There are far better offerings of this kind.

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%

This is this first blueberry ale that I have ever tried. I'm a pretty big fan of blueberries, so I was pretty psyched to have acquired some of this brew, but does the anticipation match up to the actual experience? We shall see...

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale pours a muddy copper/amber color which was a bit darker than I was expecting. A generous amount of foam forms and retains very well. It thins out a little bit but retains for a good portion of the beer. Some slight husky grain scent and blueberries aroma is present. The mouthfeel was slightly thin and had a high-moderate amount of carbonation. There is a light malt flavor (almost wheat-like) present along with the blueberry flavor. The blueberry flavor is done just right as it is not overpoweringly sweet and even has a bit of tartness to it. There is a decent hop presence here too which helps balance out some of that sweetness. Some light grains and blueberry continue on in the aftertaste, and the beer concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

Overall this was a pretty decent brew and pretty drinkable to boot. I didn't think it was too sweet, but some others might find it so. For a fruit beer, I thought that this was a pretty balanced effort.

3.03/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Poured a coppery-bronze with a thin, white head that was fairly lasting in length.

S: a fresh blueberry aroma, with light traces of toasted wheat and not much else.

T: The initial flavor had a well balanced blueberry presence that wasn't overpowering and providing a fruity experience. There was really no surprises here, just blueberries for flavor.

M: light in body with a very light carbonation.

D: Overall it drank as advertised, a fruit beer and ones enough to experience the limited spectrum of flavor it has to offer. Lawnmower beer.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a nonic glass.

A- Slightly hazy amber appearance. Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of white head, which fades quickly, leaving an incomplete cap. Very little lacing.

S- Blueberries, of course, and a slightly funky, sour, yeastiness.

T- Slightly tangy, slightly sweet blueberry taste. Wheat beer characteristics.

M- Fairly crisp with moderate carbonation.

D- Pretty decent. I could see drinking a few of these, but probably wouldn't want to make an entire night of them.

Future outlook: Fairly solid beer, though not something that blew me away. Seemed very much like a wheat beer to me. Might be a consideration to add to a summer mix.

3.19/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz brown bottle. Blue printed label with a gold twist off cap. Whats with the color coordination?

A - A clear brown body with a thin head that dissipates quickly.

S - Blueberries. Possibly some malts and hops.

T - Slightly crisp. Pleasantly tart. Blueberry flavor is definitely present but not in anyway overpowering. Quite pleasant. Enough hops and malts to balance the fruit flavor.

M - Heavy carbonation, light bodied.

D - It's alright. I doubt I'll have this again, but I'm not unhappy with it. I'm glad I tried it.

3.22/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Lighter than I expected based on some other's reviews. A rich foam with a moderate amount of lacing.

S: A strong blueberry aroma with a mixture of hops. Pleasant overall unlike some other fruit beers.

T: Less blueberry tasting than I imagined based on the strong aroma from the pour. The blueberry is definitely there in the middle of the taste, but each sip (or gulp) ends in a confusing taste I can only describe as somewhat acidic.

M: A tad over-carbonated. Probably not a great choice for a November evening. This is more a warm weather beer in retrospect.

D: I bought a single at the Hop Shop in order to fill out a 12 pack. No need to get more now, but I may try again in the spring or summer.

3.31/5  rDev -4.6%

I picked this up on a whim. I don't usually pick up fruit beers, and when I do I'm looking for something more like the New Glarus Belgian Red or some of the beers done by The Livery. But I'll give it a shot.

A: Poured into a pint glass. Actually a little darker than I was expecting, but it's definitely a light colored beer. Some lively carbonation to it, about a half inch or so of head. Well carbonated, I fear overly so.

S: I didn't even finish pouring it before I could smell the blueberries, that's a good start. I actually really like the smell. Some subtle hops in there, but mostly blueberry and some yeast.

T: Tart. After smelling it, there's less blueberry to the taste than I was expecting, but they're in there and they're good. The hops do a nice job of balancing the sweetness of the blueberries, but don't take away from the fruit at all.

M: A little over-carbonated, I would take it down just a notch. Probably would be good on a warm sunny day, December in Wisconsin probably isn't the best month to be drinking this beer.

D: I'll finish the pint, but I don't think I'll have a second. I would have another when I'm out sometime, but I wouldn't seek it out or choose it over another good fruit beer.

3.77/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Clear looking, with a decent head. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Blueberries. Trace scent of hops. But...blueberries.

Taste: Blueberries with some hop flavor, and some grains/breadiness. Hops is used to balance out the sweetness of the blueberries. Does that well.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fine, light bodied. Goes down crisp.

Drinkability: Refreshing, tastes fine (albeit fruity), with a good hop balance. Light as well. Not bad.

3.14/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours to a light golden color with a thin white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing. Aroma is not real strong, but is a pleasant blueberry fruity scent. Mouthfeel is relatively thin and slightly carbonated. The flavor was a bit disappointing, as it tasted more like artificial flavoring than true blueberry. All and all, an okay summer cooler, but one better left to the ladies.

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I should start this out by saying I do not like wheat, or berry styled ales. I can however be subjective.

This beer is not overly sweet, but a little too sweet for me. The finish is what I disliked most about this beer! It is in no way sour (a plus) but is not going to be on my list of beers to drink again. If you like wheat styled or berry styled ales this one may be for you as several of my friends tend to like this beer. Give it a shot and see what you think.

3.92/5  rDev +13%

I swear I think Blueberry Ales are a guilty pleasure for me. They are often frowned upon, yet when they are executed well I really enjoy them.

I got a bottle of this in Maine a month ago and it showed a best before date of March of '09. Seemed like a long time so I didn't want to wait anywhere near that long.

The beer was a very nice looking beer. A two finger white foamy head that faded fairly quickly. Totally clear and a bright amber color with almost exclusively a traditional copper color. Some spotty lacing remained.

Aroma was fresh and of blueberries and toasted grains. Very nice.

Flavor was well balanced, fresh and light. A punch of blueberry up front, then it moves to a nice toasted malt, doughy bread flavor. Some subtle hop bitterness comes in and plays nice with the sweetness. Back to a smooth and subtle blueberry finish.

I admit that I love the actual berries and this must be why I enjoy these.

Mouth feel was light and refreshing. Almost crisp. A good effort and very drinkable.
When I visit Maine next summer, I'll have one of these.

Not a complex Belgian, but for what it is, it's a good effort.

12oz bottle.

Poured a medium, see through, copper color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas and tastes of, guess what, blueberries. Smells like my wife's blueberry pancake mix. Medium sweet. Even though it was one dimensional, I thought this one wasn't bad.

Notes from 2/20/05

3.82/5  rDev +10.1%

Unlike many fruit infused beers that fail where they should succeed this one does not. The aroma has blueberries, malt, bread, yeast, and some vegetable smells. The appearance is amber with a smaller sized head. The flavor is sweet malt and fruit with blueberries dominating the taste. There is a bitterness that is light and most obvious in the finish. The palate is thin and suitable for a hot weather beer. My advice is to try it.

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a somewhat cloudy consistency. Not a whole lot of head or lacing.

S: Smelled of blueberries and hops, but not much else. A pleasant smell.

T: Flavor had blueberries, mild hops and malt up front, but was thin going down. Left an unpleasant aftertaste.

M: A decent amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a highly uneven beer. The taste is simply a real drawback here. Could be better than it is.

2.34/5  rDev -32.6%

Quick review - medium to foamy in the mouth (as it warms), mildly bitter hoppy tasting and smelling, blueberry seems to be largely in the smell.

I poured it in a standard American pint glass. The color was an orangey/dark brown that made me think of carrots for some reason with a thick head that dissipated leaving no lacing.

It smelled slightly hoppy and definitely bluberry. No surprise.

The taste was slightly hoppy, slightly bitter, and very slightly blueberry. As the beer warmed, the bitter-ness almost turned artificial or chemical.

The mouthfeel was medium thick, foaming as it warmed.

I had this beer once. That was enough.

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale from Atlantic Brewing Company