Brother Adam's Bragget Ale - Atlantic Brewing Company

Brother Adam's Bragget AleBrother Adam's Bragget Ale

Atlantic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Braggot |  11.80% ABV

Akin to a barley wine, we suggest this ale as an after dinner drink.

It has a truly unique & sophisticated flavor due to the use of wildflower honey as the catalyst for the production of alcohol. We simply use pale malt and a very small amount of Target hops in this Belgian style ale. The bulk of the body, color and sweetness come from the 2,000 lbs. of honey we add to the boil.

The Brother is cellared for up to a year before it is bottled, which helps to marry the flavors and create the complex palate in this Bragget.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002)
Reviews by foogerd:
foogerd

3.85/5  rDev -1%

A- Definitely looks like dark honey and some ddish ambers.

S- Sweet malts, some light booze, seems a bit subdued for all its flavor.

T- Sweet sugary breads drizzled with honey, rich butter pound cake with raisins.

M- Full smooth with moderate carbonation.

O- Tasty brew. It was my first Braggot so I was expecting something very different it didnt satisfy in terms of that.

10-07-2011 03:09:11 | More by foogerd
RoyalT

Appearance – This one gave off a quick, dissipating light brown head and sported a brownish body with just the smallest tinge of orange.

Smell – This sweetish beer reminds me of some red wines that I’ve tasted in the Northern Californian grape region, especially during “barrel tasting” time. It is sweet and sugary with some good malty scents and a light, easy alcohol presence.

Taste – This is very similar to red wine. The honey/mead aspect of the beer lends itself more towards the grapes. There’s a nice and easy alcohol flavor that compliments the malts and sugars.

Mouthfeel – This is maybe just a bit bigger than medium-bodied with a strong but very smooth alcohol sensation.

Drinkability – This is an easy-drinking Braggot and the first example that I’ve had. It is oh so tasty and went down extremely well for such a high ABV beer.

Comments – This was a 2001 vintage (according to the cap) that I tasted in early 2005 over at skyhand’s house. What a treat.

02-04-2005 03:45:33 | More by RoyalT
BeerAdvocate

Beer review from BA Mag Nov 2007.

Claimed as a style of barleywine that dates back some thousand years in Wales, at face, this is one of Atlantic's more creative offerings. Brewed with both malted barley and fresh Maine honey from the Buckfast bee--a hybrid bee bred by Brother Adam, the Benedictine monk who devoted his life to the study and breeding of honey bees.

Pours somewhat dark, brown and leathery with shimmering amber hues. Carbonation is present, but moderate and quickly dissipates to a wispy trace. Dense and complex honey aroma with a spicy and nostril-warming alcohol, vanilla cookie wafer, wet earth, and subtle hop-leaf note. Syrupy and thick on the palate, with a creamy carbonation that tightens and pulls in a smooth and immensely complex honey and malt fusion. Toffee, caramel, booze-steeped cherries, golden raisins, raw honey comb, floral, toasty malts and a spicy and warming alcohol. Sweet, but not cloying. A bit husky here and there, with lingering tannins and sweet and toasty honey notes in the finish.

A most interesting twist on a Barleywine and resurrection of an ancient style. Pour into a snifter, allow it to warm, and enjoy like a fine spirit.

07-07-2010 01:03:29 | More by BeerAdvocate
lordofthewiens

Maine

The label makes note of the amount of honey in the beer, and how it might be enjoyed with dessert. I couldn't agree more. It was an amber color with no head to speak of. It had a sweet, grassy odor. The taste was sweet honey with a little hops in there. Felt OK in the mouth, but definitely too sweet for me.

03-21-2006 12:54:07 | More by lordofthewiens
sponberg

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Big bomber bottle with a face on it that will be familiar to anyone perusing the forums the last few months (aka bennybrew's avatar). Cloudy dark amber brown, almost Belgian dubbel in color. Great nose - honey, orange peel, alcohol, and an aromatic spiciness that totally tickles the nose.

Take a big sip. Ahh - there's that aromatic spiciness again, charging up the roof of the mouth and into the back of the sinuses, redolent of orange rind, dried strawberries (both from the honey - more regarding that anon) and dryish caramel, some smokiness (again the honey) almost akin to an Irish whiskey, with a luscious warming surge of alcohol that gets warmer as the beer warms. Finishes dryish, with toffee on the palate ane the alcohol almost numbing the perimeter of the throat (Yes, it's the beer for tonsillitis!) and more of those lovely aromatics. Delicious.

Re honey: My buddy Bob makes a goodly amount of mead, and does a pretty fine job of it. I shared this with him and my next door neighbor Bill. Bob tried a sip and got that "Oooh - I need to try making this!!" look on his face which happens VERY rarely. Bill, who is heading to Bar Harbor this weekend, is picking some up for his stash and (hopefully) mine.

Many thanks to the esteemed bennybrew for this fine elixir.

07-02-2004 03:01:21 | More by sponberg
warriorsoul

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Rust in color...less than 1/4 finger of white head. Some web-like lacing and the foam fades before my eyes in seconds.
Inticing in the nose. Cherries, raw honey, bananas...strikingly sweet up front.
Taste is where this one really shines...candied sugar, honey, rum soaked raisins, oak and some spicy hop finish drying up the back end.
Mouthfeel is thin, yet has a syrupy feel to keep the mouthfeel right for the style.
Pretty dangerous at almost 12%...a definite sipper, but you need to remind yourself to do so for most of the bomber.
Solid.

01-15-2007 01:37:24 | More by warriorsoul
tigg924

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: cloudy, yellow/brown in color, minimal head

Smell: honey, toasted malt, alcohol, wood

Taste: honey, toasted malt, and a touch of wood

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, medium/light bodied, mix of bitter and sweet

Drinkability: Love the sweet honey malt taste. A sipper but I could have a couple. Very unique as a beer and for the style. While the alcohol is not hidden, it is not as noticable for a beer with abv.

03-08-2010 17:13:25 | More by tigg924
Mora2000

Thanks to my father for sharing this bottle. The beer pours a hazy brownish-orange color with a small white head. The aroma is full of honey, but I also get some light floral notes. The flavor is more complex than the aroma. The honey and floral notes are present once again, but I also get a ton of sugary sweetness and some dark fruit notes. The alcohol is very noticeable. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation.

09-24-2011 19:59:11 | More by Mora2000
Cavanaghty

4.88/5  rDev +25.4%

As many beers as I have tried this is the first one I have sat down and actually studied it to review it. So bear with me on my first review.

This was a 2011 vintage, the servers at the brewery said that this beer taste better with age, and must be at least one year old before it can be bottled and served. Poured from bomber into a pint glass.

Appearence: Reddish-brown, little head and lacing, and did not notice much carbonation.

Smell: Very fruity smell, almost like a good wine, very similar smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: One of the smoothest beers I have ever tasted. Slight hint of alcohol present. the brewery also told me that the older it is the more alcohol can be detected when tasting it.

Overall: it was a very enjoyable beer, I was so impressed I bought a 2007 vintage to try on with family during a special event. By far one of the best beers I have ever had.

*Just adding that I had my 2007 vintage, not much a difference in the beer excpet a much more noticable alcohol flavor, still remains one of my top favorites.

08-12-2012 23:43:35 | More by Cavanaghty
yankeeheel

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

2001 vintage. Pours a beautiful reddish hue of amber with about a fraction of a seconds worth of head. Little teeny ring of foam around the edge.

Smells quite strong and fruity. Lots of cherry and grape to the nose.

Tastes excellent. Lots of big gobs of sweet fruit with a really strong alcohol backdrop. The honey makes it all come together. Definitely a little smoky and a little leathery. Feel the burn.

Mouthfeel is medium huge. Almost brandy like.

Too drinkable for such a big un. Be careful out there.

02-29-2004 01:07:00 | More by yankeeheel

johnyb

08-15-2012 02:22:19 | More by johnyb
caddybuyer

3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Chimay Chalice.

A-Murkey burned peach with virtually no head

S-Fruits, alcohol, malt and sweetness.

T-An almost overwhelming sweetness and nearly overpowering alcohol taste. This reminds me very much of when I was a kid, my grandfather put cracked corn and apple cider into an old whiskey barrel and fermented it and served it out as wine. Interesting, but not terribly enjoyable (Both the wine, and this ale).

M-Decent overall mouthfeel. Lighter than I expected but balanced overall.

D-Interesting, but I don't think I will be reaching for another anytime soon.

I was looking forward to trying this style, which I am not familiar with, and trying to give this the benefit of a doubt. It certainly is interesting, and I'm glad I tried it, but I can't really say that I enjoyed it very much. I'm a fan a barleywines, and I'm a fan of sweet ales (and in fact, had a bit of a desire for one tonight, which is why I broke this one out) but this just is not doing it for me.

06-07-2009 02:08:52 | More by caddybuyer
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

I am a fan of braggot in particular (and mead). This cellared version, I do not have a year bottled, poured a medium yellow honey mixture with lots of foam and lacing. Malty and also barleywine aroma(when the head settles) aroma, creamy to the tongue though tingling it. Smooth drinking though nothing exceptional in taste, tastes akin a lager. Honey on palate in aftertaste.

12-16-2007 22:39:00 | More by Sammy
jh1982

Nevada

01-07-2012 13:12:02 | More by jh1982
NeroFiddled

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Note: I'm not sure of the age on this bottle, but there's a label that reads "Aged since November 2000" on the bottle. I'm guessing that it's about 2 years old.

Brother Adam's Bragget Ale offers a slightly hazy robe of ruby-tinged chestnut beneath a short lid of creamy off-white foam that drops rather quickly to a thin collar and leaves only minimal lace (obviously due in great part to its high alcohol content). The nose, however, more than makes up for its shortcomings in appearance! It's rich and lively; loaded with honey, malt, fruit, and alcohol! And as it crosses the palate it's just as creamy as one might imagine - except for the mild sting of the alcohol involved. It's warming, and you can feel it passing through the throat and into the stomach. More honey is present in the flavor, and it's nicely entwined within doughy, vanilla and almond-laced cookie-dough-ish malt. Spicy alcohol accents, some fruitiness (sweet white raisins), and a very limited bitterness round things out. It's quite rich and enticing, yet its alcohol can be limiting.

02-03-2005 01:29:32 | More by NeroFiddled
Damian74Shensky

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -10%

03-10-2013 14:40:35 | More by Damian74Shensky
prototypic

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Another bottle from ampzilla. Thanks, Andrew.

Sticker indicates 'bottle aged since 2005'

Brother Adam's Bragget is a nice looking rust color. It's very hazy and has a slight reddish tint. It's topped with an off-white head that's about a finger and a half deep. It falls rather quickly. Lacing was on the lighter end of the spectrum. I'm guessing there's too much abv for it to flourish.

The nose is very average. It's woefully underpowered. That's unfortunate. I was at least expecting a healthy dose of honey, but there's not much of even that to talk about. I am getting a little fruit. Smells like apple and pear to me. Alcohol is noted. No surprise there. To be fair, it doesn't smell like a beer approaching 12%. It doesn't smell bad, but it's far from good. Average.

The flavor is better. Much better actually. It does have a fairly prominent fruity flavor. Apple and pear seem to be the primary components. It's a little sweet, but that's attributable to its malty base. I'm getting a little more honey in flavor, but not nearly as much as I expected. There's an earthy quality to it that's very subtle. I'm not getting any hops, but this bottle is pretty old. Alcohol is blended pretty well for such a big beer. It's noticeable in flavor, but isn't warm or hot. I wouldn't have guessed 11.8% or anywhere near that. Maybe 8%-ish. It finishes sweet and fruity. It's not anything like I expected. There's not much depth or complexity, but it does have a nice flavor. I'll give it that.

With a little warming, Brother Adam's feels medium-bodied. Carbonation is dialed down nicely, and it is smooth. No real problems there. Drinkability is above average. The flavor is satisfying, but this is a big beer in terms of strength. I'm feeling it. But, it goes down really easy for its size. I might struggle with this bomber a bit, but I shall prevail.

Brother Adam's Bragget is pretty good stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the style, and it doesn't change that. But, it's pretty tasty given its limited range. It's really not deep or complex at all, but still tastes good. The nose needs work, but it performs pretty well otherwise. If you're looking to knock off the style, this is a fine place to do it. If that's not the case, it's still well worth a try.

03-27-2010 03:44:34 | More by prototypic
bewareOFpenguin

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I made two mistakes with this beer. First, seeing the bottle said to "sip it", I saved it for the last beer of the evening. Second, since no ABV was listed, just November 2000, I drank the whole thing. Brother Adam must have been pie eyed a lot. It had a nice amber brownish color. The first sip should have warned me about the ABV, but I paid it no heed. I really enjoyed the honey taste. Not too sweet, just right. Before I knew it, "Voila!", the bottle was gone. And so was I. That's right Venom, I finally got the Bragget.

05-27-2003 07:05:39 | More by bewareOFpenguin
Alieniloquium

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 bottle.

Appearance - Deep amber. Almost nothing by way of head. A few wisps. Sugary legs on the swirl.

Smell - Honey and lots of oxidized sherry aromas. Deep malt character. Burnt caramel.

Taste - Brighter honey flavor. Slight light fruit flavor. Still oxidized. Lots of honey. Some of the deeper malts come through, but less than the nose implies.

Mouthfeel - Boozy, but not too intense. Low carbonation. Oxidation is pleasant.

Overall - It's pretty good. Nothing terribly exciting, but nice flavors.

04-16-2013 00:24:28 | More by Alieniloquium
dgallina

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

1 pint, 9 fluid ounce brown bottle. There's a bit of history about the style and no freshness date (not that it matters at this kind of strength).

Pours clear burnished oak with minimal carbonation and head, as you'd expect. The beer smells slightly smoky, full of sweet honey, raisins, and spiced cookie dough. Initial honey and raisin flavors give way to an almond-spiced dough center. The finish is big and rounded, full of stingingly strong spicy alcohol. Syrupy body with gentle carbonation. Becomes more viscous as it warms. Very nice accompanied with panettone (Italian Christmas bread) on a long cold winter night.

12-17-2006 05:31:44 | More by dgallina
Keith_R

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

01-23-2014 06:17:50 | More by Keith_R
smurfyou

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from the standard 22oz bottle into a snifter. I have no idea how old this is; there is no indication of bottling date that I can find. They claim to age it one year before bottling, and I have cellared it for about a year, so lets call this 2005-2006 vintage.

I had somewhat low expectations for this beer. The breweries products aren't widely distributed in my area and the label seems too ambitious about the contents. I was pleasantly surprised.

Appearance was bland. Standard strong ale brown, with little to no head. Or what head did form was quickly dispersed. The smell intrigued me - at first not much; second whiff brought malty alcohol goodness; and the third revealed the honey sweetness as promised. I keep smelling it with every sip, which is a sign of goodness. Taste is the same strong malty alcohol goodness, balanced by the honey and some aged fruit background. Red grapes and plum but not overbearing. Very interesting and inviting. The mouthfeel could be described as below average but I don't expect anything notable in a barleywine (or braggot). I've still rated it low to balance the review. The drinkability is great. I wish I could remember where I bought it so I could pick up a couple more bottles.

This beer is surprisingly good. It does indeed have qualities of both a barleywine and a braggot and I heartily recommend it.

02-11-2009 08:02:03 | More by smurfyou