Brother Adam's Bragget Ale - Atlantic Brewing Company

Brother Adam's Bragget AleBrother Adam's Bragget Ale

Atlantic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Braggot |  11.80% ABV

Akin to a barley wine, we suggest this ale as an after dinner drink.

It has a truly unique & sophisticated flavor due to the use of wildflower honey as the catalyst for the production of alcohol. We simply use pale malt and a very small amount of Target hops in this Belgian style ale. The bulk of the body, color and sweetness come from the 2,000 lbs. of honey we add to the boil.

The Brother is cellared for up to a year before it is bottled, which helps to marry the flavors and create the complex palate in this Bragget.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brother Adam's Bragget Ale Alström Bros
2.53/5  rDev -35%

Very clean and clear. Shade of mahagony with hints of red. Head is seperated and very small. No lacing.

Not alot going on in the nose. Honey, malt, and some gingerbread. Not much depth.

Very simple and lacking complexity. Alcohol shines through. Hints of honey suckle, brown sugar, maple, and a dry malt. Would like to try this with a few years of bottle age.

Mouth is thin and weak, not sure I can finish the bomber.

mcallister, Nov 22, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Review from notes in December 09

This beer reminds me of why I'm not a mead drinker. Quite a beautiful beer, but that's about all it has going for me. Very honey sweet and a strange hop bitterness that doesn't quite work for me. Yes, honey and hops is good in HopSlam, but this is completely different. Thinnish body and low carbonation.

DmanGTR, Jun 10, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

A: Perfectly chestnut with some chill haze. Head is a the color of newsprint and falling fast, leaving just a wash across the top and a ring around the glass.

S: White raisins, sour honey, strawberry jam, tea and violet.

T: Begins with flavors of dandelion milk, clover and some honey suckle. Then the beer gets odd…the flavor turns to what I can only describe as iced tea spiked with bourbon with hints of artificial sweetner. The alcohol is brutal…its so friggin strong its like taking shots of rubbing alcohol. After the swallow, the flavor of saccharin camps at the back of the throat. I can’t drink another sip.

M: Medium body, syrupy with fluffy aspects.

D: This beer is WAY HOT. They say it can age for years and I believe it. I would recommend all potential drinkers to store this one away for years to let it mellow. The alcohol flavors were way to rambunctious and need to chill the hell out. I hate to give this beer a bad review since I know with some years under its belt it could be something special…but in its current state its not.

Westsidethreat, May 19, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Perilousleigh, Mar 15, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

i held onto this good looking maine beer for a couple of months since i was so excited for it and waiting for a special occassion to drink it. unfortunately, it fell a little short. ruby, translucent in appearance... aroma of sweet honey, grape juice, caramel malts... taste of alcohol, sour liquorice, and a lingering burntness... mouthfeel is quite dry and acidic... overall, a lackluster taste and quite strong. a lot of wine-qualities here.

joshsbeerblog, Feb 11, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured out a semi-clear reddish brown with a thin tight head that dissapeared after a minute or so. The nose was at first reminiscent of a garbage heap, there's alcohol and malt and some honey astringency, but it's hard getting past the fecal notes of rotting refuge. The taste is worlds more pleasent than the nose. There's malt and honey sweetness, some slightly rotting apple type bitterness, oh lordy, why do I sort of actually like this? I need to stop now.

dherling, Nov 25, 2006

The label makes note of the amount of honey in the beer, and how it might be enjoyed with dessert. I couldn't agree more. It was an amber color with no head to speak of. It had a sweet, grassy odor. The taste was sweet honey with a little hops in there. Felt OK in the mouth, but definitely too sweet for me.

lordofthewiens, Mar 21, 2006

NJBeer265, May 22, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

22oz bomber with no date. tasted in late march/early april 2009. poured into tulip.

brown with golden-orange honey tones. foamy, off-white head quickly fades to just wisps and a sudsy ring. very sparse, splotchy lace.

aroma: apple, honey, pears, light caramel. hop presence is negligible. boozy alcohol and phenols.

taste: quite boozy from start to finish. similar flavors to the aroma, but overpowered by the phenols and alcohol, boosting the otherwise mild bitterness in a distracting way.

light to medium body, some syrupy smoothness, but astringency along with phenols and alcohol cut right back in. the mild carbonation doesn't seem to offer anything.

my first full serving of braggot... meh...

tai4ji2x, May 17, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Chimay Chalice.

A-Murkey burned peach with virtually no head

S-Fruits, alcohol, malt and sweetness.

T-An almost overwhelming sweetness and nearly overpowering alcohol taste. This reminds me very much of when I was a kid, my grandfather put cracked corn and apple cider into an old whiskey barrel and fermented it and served it out as wine. Interesting, but not terribly enjoyable (Both the wine, and this ale).

M-Decent overall mouthfeel. Lighter than I expected but balanced overall.

D-Interesting, but I don't think I will be reaching for another anytime soon.

I was looking forward to trying this style, which I am not familiar with, and trying to give this the benefit of a doubt. It certainly is interesting, and I'm glad I tried it, but I can't really say that I enjoyed it very much. I'm a fan a barleywines, and I'm a fan of sweet ales (and in fact, had a bit of a desire for one tonight, which is why I broke this one out) but this just is not doing it for me.

caddybuyer, Jun 07, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -20.3%

This was an interesting beer, clearn amber with a head less than half a finger.

Aroma was sweet, definite honey with a hint of vanilla, and an understated malt backbone underneath.

Taste was very dry, sweet and slightly medicinal, with spices, vanilla, and oak notes evident. It was warming on the swallow, but alcohol was not evident in the taste. It was not very inspiring though. It kind of grew on me, but never became something to write home about.

Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I would have expected with something brewed with that much honey.

Drinkability... it went down easily, but with coaxing, since as I said the taste was not inspiring.

At $11.99 for a single bottle, I am glad that I have tried it to have sampled the style, but I do not think I will take them up on their suggestion to allow one to age and build in complexity. It would have to develop a LOT to make that worthwhile for me.

connecticutpoet, Nov 25, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -20.3%

Thanks cookin420 for this one. Medium sized bottle poured into a snifter.

Dark copper in color, it produces minimal off-white head, even with a vigorous pour, and as the beer slowly makes it way down, no lacing is found.
Aroma is difficult to describe, lacking parallel in other beers. The first noticeable smell out of the glass is a brazilian soda made out of guarana (pureza), which is sort of a spiced sweetness. As it warms further, alcohol becomes more and more evident, some liquorice/cognac, but not really a lot of honey.
It is fairly thin on the palate, at least to what I expected (11 + ABV plus honey, I was waiting for something syrupy).
Flavor is also rather limited; feels like a watered down version of a mixture of a barleywine with whisky, some fruitness and warming alcohol, maybe some spices. Very hard to be more descriptive.
I am not impressed, at all, but will keep my second bottle for a couple of years to see if I can get a little more. Right now, a forgettable experience, but I am glad I finally had a chance to taste a braggot.

brdc, Nov 03, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -19%

This is my first braggot, so there is nothing to compare it against. Actually, I was led to believe that this was a barley wine or perhaps some type of honied porter given the labeling. The beer pours a deep tawny copper color with minimal head. I dumped the beer into the glass to see if a head would emerge, and not much. There is a thin retention around the rim. The aroma is allspice, honey, alcohol, sweet malt, perhaps a bit of clove.

The taste is quite flat, not overly syrupy, which is a good thing, and a combination of a very strong mead, a barley wine, and a spiced beer. This isn't the most enjoyable or drinkable beer on the rack. The high ABV is quite pronounced from the nose and throughout. The BA descriptor labels this as a medieval concoction, and I guess I can envision it on a cold damp night bedded down in a castle in the northern climes, this stuff would warm the cockles. It would also kill any residual bacteria in the water used to brew it, which was an important consideration then. To modern sensibilities, this is just a really strong, potent, honey barley wine that has a big palate and a throaty burn on the way down. The good news is that it is less cloyingly sweet, and less syrupy than most other barley wines. It is plenty sweet though.

albern, Aug 15, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks to Joepais for the chance via 666 BIF. From notes shared with a couple friends.

Pours a burnt orange color with decent clarity. Not much head formation, a few big bubbles and a ring last throughout. Brother Adams looks a little like Woodie Harrelson (+.5 to appearance)

Lots of sweet honey in the aroma, a faint general fruitiness and plenty of booze. I strained to find some caramel. Not really doing much for me, it's very alcoholic. The taste follows with initial honey/fruit sweetness. Medium bodied with a somewhat overly assertive carbonation for the style. Finishes with plenty of booze and a slight tangy spice note. Overall, very robust and alcoholic. I bet it would age well, But I am glad that I shared this one.

Ineedabeerhere, Jan 09, 2010

Luweezy, Apr 05, 2014

PEBKAC, Nov 02, 2012

lpotter, Jun 29, 2013

klesniew, Dec 07, 2013

t0rin0, Aug 18, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

The aroma has honey with malt and yeast. The appearance is amber/red/brown with a thin head. The flavor is funky up front with a nice aftertaste. The palate is thin. Overall it's interesting but not great. This is a must try because the style is interesting but there are better things to drink out there.

nick76, Nov 20, 2008
3.31/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Ambery light brown with a super fleet head that is gone in seconds. Splashy sea foam lace left by a hearty half moon collar retention.

Very floral, spring-timey aroma. I can pick out honey (duh) and golden pear particularly.

Honey and pear up front with chewy caramel and a foul antiseptic, alcohol in back. I like the earthy, floral elements that carried over from the aroma but that back end is pretty gross.

Wifey and I picked this up during our honeymoon at MDI and saved it for a snowy day. Made some fine Blizzard Nemo drinking in the dark.

donkeyrunner, Feb 16, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

Note: First time trying this style.

22oz bomber into 25oz snifter.

Opaque and cloudy mahogany hue with a one finger stone khaki head that slowly settles to a thick bubbly rim along the glass.

A mix of honey, fruit, and alcohol. Slightly tart.

They honey is both hidden and obvious at the same time. A lot of fruit flavor, like plum, is mixed in. The alcohol is well perceived - very warming. Full bodied, slightly acidic.

Somewhat of a tough beer to drink. Both sweet and sour at the same time, with a lot of alcohol in each sip. The bottle recommends sipping the beer, and so do I. Best served in a glass for sipping like a snifter. I'd say try it for yourself.

BeerSox, Jan 04, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

22oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a woody amber with a small light tan head.

S: Raw honey and dark fruit esters. Sweet but a little drying.

T: Not quite as full as the nose. Dry vinous notes and semi-sweet honey, big solvent alcohol in the finish.

M: A bit thin, light carbonation.

O: The thin body and booziness detract, although the beer is interesting.

Etan, Aug 19, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I first tried this a year and a half ago, at the brewery while on vacation. Finally getting around to reviewing a bottle of it.

Pours a pretty thick but otherwise clear reddish copper color, with minimal head that quickly disappears. Leaves a rimjob and a splash of lace in the middle but little else.

Smells of sweet honey and is also quite floral, with some spice and a bit of a fruity aroma. Spicing smells similar to a lot of winter warmers, like cinnamon for instance. It's also pretty boozy.

Taste is also sweet and boozy, with honey and caramel the prominent sweet flavors. There is enough hop bitterness and floral, slightly fruity flavor to make this balanced enough to be drinkable. There is some spicing, too, as there was in the smell. Still, it's quite alcoholic and not all that interesting, and it's definitely a slow sipper.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy, pretty heavy in the mouth actually and the booze makes it a bit hot, but still a pretty smooth feel.

This is my first braggot, and I just don't see it being a style I could get into. I'm not a huge barleywine fan either, but at least they are more interesting and typically hoppier than this. Still, I did find this starting to wear on me a bit - maybe because of the nearly 12% alcohol. It's still a slow sipper, but it's not too bad.

number1bum, Dec 09, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a clear rich copper with a short lived off-white head. Aroma is deep, caramel and honey malt sweetness. Moderate spice and light floral notes.
Taste starts lightly with honey, then beefs up a bit with a sturdy malt character. Finish has a prominent spice note and a very noticeable alcoholic heat which I don't enjoy. The body is just on the heavy side of medium and semi-sweet.

The alcohol is just too hot for me. Perhaps it would be better with a little age on it. Unfortunately there's no date on the bottle.

goatgoat, Mar 14, 2010