Brother Adam's Bragget Ale - Atlantic Brewing Company

Atlantic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Braggot |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002

Akin to a barley wine, we suggest this ale as an after dinner drink.

It has a truly unique & sophisticated flavor due to the use of wildflower honey as the catalyst for the production of alcohol. We simply use pale malt and a very small amount of Target hops in this Belgian style ale. The bulk of the body, color and sweetness come from the 2,000 lbs. of honey we add to the boil.

The Brother is cellared for up to a year before it is bottled, which helps to marry the flavors and create the complex palate in this Bragget.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brother Adam's Bragget Ale Alström Bros
2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

Very clean and clear. Shade of mahagony with hints of red. Head is seperated and very small. No lacing.

Not alot going on in the nose. Honey, malt, and some gingerbread. Not much depth.

Very simple and lacking complexity. Alcohol shines through. Hints of honey suckle, brown sugar, maple, and a dry malt. Would like to try this with a few years of bottle age.

Mouth is thin and weak, not sure I can finish the bomber. (427 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -31.3%

Review from notes in December 09

This beer reminds me of why I'm not a mead drinker. Quite a beautiful beer, but that's about all it has going for me. Very honey sweet and a strange hop bitterness that doesn't quite work for me. Yes, honey and hops is good in HopSlam, but this is completely different. Thinnish body and low carbonation. (338 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -28.4%

A: Perfectly chestnut with some chill haze. Head is a the color of newsprint and falling fast, leaving just a wash across the top and a ring around the glass.

S: White raisins, sour honey, strawberry jam, tea and violet.

T: Begins with flavors of dandelion milk, clover and some honey suckle. Then the beer gets odd…the flavor turns to what I can only describe as iced tea spiked with bourbon with hints of artificial sweetner. The alcohol is brutal…its so friggin strong its like taking shots of rubbing alcohol. After the swallow, the flavor of saccharin camps at the back of the throat. I can’t drink another sip.

M: Medium body, syrupy with fluffy aspects.

D: This beer is WAY HOT. They say it can age for years and I believe it. I would recommend all potential drinkers to store this one away for years to let it mellow. The alcohol flavors were way to rambunctious and need to chill the hell out. I hate to give this beer a bad review since I know with some years under its belt it could be something special…but in its current state its not. (1,064 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured out a semi-clear reddish brown with a thin tight head that dissapeared after a minute or so. The nose was at first reminiscent of a garbage heap, there's alcohol and malt and some honey astringency, but it's hard getting past the fecal notes of rotting refuge. The taste is worlds more pleasent than the nose. There's malt and honey sweetness, some slightly rotting apple type bitterness, oh lordy, why do I sort of actually like this? I need to stop now. (462 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23%

i held onto this good looking maine beer for a couple of months since i was so excited for it and waiting for a special occassion to drink it. unfortunately, it fell a little short. ruby, translucent in appearance... aroma of sweet honey, grape juice, caramel malts... taste of alcohol, sour liquorice, and a lingering burntness... mouthfeel is quite dry and acidic... overall, a lackluster taste and quite strong. a lot of wine-qualities here. (444 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -22%

The label makes note of the amount of honey in the beer, and how it might be enjoyed with dessert. I couldn't agree more. It was an amber color with no head to speak of. It had a sweet, grassy odor. The taste was sweet honey with a little hops in there. Felt OK in the mouth, but definitely too sweet for me. (308 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

22oz bomber with no date. tasted in late march/early april 2009. poured into tulip.

brown with golden-orange honey tones. foamy, off-white head quickly fades to just wisps and a sudsy ring. very sparse, splotchy lace.

aroma: apple, honey, pears, light caramel. hop presence is negligible. boozy alcohol and phenols.

taste: quite boozy from start to finish. similar flavors to the aroma, but overpowered by the phenols and alcohol, boosting the otherwise mild bitterness in a distracting way.

light to medium body, some syrupy smoothness, but astringency along with phenols and alcohol cut right back in. the mild carbonation doesn't seem to offer anything.

my first full serving of braggot... meh... (704 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Chimay Chalice.

A-Murkey burned peach with virtually no head

S-Fruits, alcohol, malt and sweetness.

T-An almost overwhelming sweetness and nearly overpowering alcohol taste. This reminds me very much of when I was a kid, my grandfather put cracked corn and apple cider into an old whiskey barrel and fermented it and served it out as wine. Interesting, but not terribly enjoyable (Both the wine, and this ale).

M-Decent overall mouthfeel. Lighter than I expected but balanced overall.

D-Interesting, but I don't think I will be reaching for another anytime soon.

I was looking forward to trying this style, which I am not familiar with, and trying to give this the benefit of a doubt. It certainly is interesting, and I'm glad I tried it, but I can't really say that I enjoyed it very much. I'm a fan a barleywines, and I'm a fan of sweet ales (and in fact, had a bit of a desire for one tonight, which is why I broke this one out) but this just is not doing it for me. (1,010 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19.4%

This was an interesting beer, clearn amber with a head less than half a finger.

Aroma was sweet, definite honey with a hint of vanilla, and an understated malt backbone underneath.

Taste was very dry, sweet and slightly medicinal, with spices, vanilla, and oak notes evident. It was warming on the swallow, but alcohol was not evident in the taste. It was not very inspiring though. It kind of grew on me, but never became something to write home about.

Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I would have expected with something brewed with that much honey.

Drinkability... it went down easily, but with coaxing, since as I said the taste was not inspiring.

At $11.99 for a single bottle, I am glad that I have tried it to have sampled the style, but I do not think I will take them up on their suggestion to allow one to age and build in complexity. It would have to develop a LOT to make that worthwhile for me. (929 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks cookin420 for this one. Medium sized bottle poured into a snifter.

Dark copper in color, it produces minimal off-white head, even with a vigorous pour, and as the beer slowly makes it way down, no lacing is found.
Aroma is difficult to describe, lacking parallel in other beers. The first noticeable smell out of the glass is a brazilian soda made out of guarana (pureza), which is sort of a spiced sweetness. As it warms further, alcohol becomes more and more evident, some liquorice/cognac, but not really a lot of honey.
It is fairly thin on the palate, at least to what I expected (11 + ABV plus honey, I was waiting for something syrupy).
Flavor is also rather limited; feels like a watered down version of a mixture of a barleywine with whisky, some fruitness and warming alcohol, maybe some spices. Very hard to be more descriptive.
I am not impressed, at all, but will keep my second bottle for a couple of years to see if I can get a little more. Right now, a forgettable experience, but I am glad I finally had a chance to taste a braggot. (1,061 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

This is my first braggot, so there is nothing to compare it against. Actually, I was led to believe that this was a barley wine or perhaps some type of honied porter given the labeling. The beer pours a deep tawny copper color with minimal head. I dumped the beer into the glass to see if a head would emerge, and not much. There is a thin retention around the rim. The aroma is allspice, honey, alcohol, sweet malt, perhaps a bit of clove.

The taste is quite flat, not overly syrupy, which is a good thing, and a combination of a very strong mead, a barley wine, and a spiced beer. This isn't the most enjoyable or drinkable beer on the rack. The high ABV is quite pronounced from the nose and throughout. The BA descriptor labels this as a medieval concoction, and I guess I can envision it on a cold damp night bedded down in a castle in the northern climes, this stuff would warm the cockles. It would also kill any residual bacteria in the water used to brew it, which was an important consideration then. To modern sensibilities, this is just a really strong, potent, honey barley wine that has a big palate and a throaty burn on the way down. The good news is that it is less cloyingly sweet, and less syrupy than most other barley wines. It is plenty sweet though. (1,274 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks to Joepais for the chance via 666 BIF. From notes shared with a couple friends.

Pours a burnt orange color with decent clarity. Not much head formation, a few big bubbles and a ring last throughout. Brother Adams looks a little like Woodie Harrelson (+.5 to appearance)

Lots of sweet honey in the aroma, a faint general fruitiness and plenty of booze. I strained to find some caramel. Not really doing much for me, it's very alcoholic. The taste follows with initial honey/fruit sweetness. Medium bodied with a somewhat overly assertive carbonation for the style. Finishes with plenty of booze and a slight tangy spice note. Overall, very robust and alcoholic. I bet it would age well, But I am glad that I shared this one. (734 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -16.3%

The aroma has honey with malt and yeast. The appearance is amber/red/brown with a thin head. The flavor is funky up front with a nice aftertaste. The palate is thin. Overall it's interesting but not great. This is a must try because the style is interesting but there are better things to drink out there. (305 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Note: First time trying this style.

22oz bomber into 25oz snifter.

Opaque and cloudy mahogany hue with a one finger stone khaki head that slowly settles to a thick bubbly rim along the glass.

A mix of honey, fruit, and alcohol. Slightly tart.

They honey is both hidden and obvious at the same time. A lot of fruit flavor, like plum, is mixed in. The alcohol is well perceived - very warming. Full bodied, slightly acidic.

Somewhat of a tough beer to drink. Both sweet and sour at the same time, with a lot of alcohol in each sip. The bottle recommends sipping the beer, and so do I. Best served in a glass for sipping like a snifter. I'd say try it for yourself. (670 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Ambery light brown with a super fleet head that is gone in seconds. Splashy sea foam lace left by a hearty half moon collar retention.

Very floral, spring-timey aroma. I can pick out honey (duh) and golden pear particularly.

Honey and pear up front with chewy caramel and a foul antiseptic, alcohol in back. I like the earthy, floral elements that carried over from the aroma but that back end is pretty gross.

Wifey and I picked this up during our honeymoon at MDI and saved it for a snowy day. Made some fine Blizzard Nemo drinking in the dark. (551 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I first tried this a year and a half ago, at the brewery while on vacation. Finally getting around to reviewing a bottle of it.

Pours a pretty thick but otherwise clear reddish copper color, with minimal head that quickly disappears. Leaves a rimjob and a splash of lace in the middle but little else.

Smells of sweet honey and is also quite floral, with some spice and a bit of a fruity aroma. Spicing smells similar to a lot of winter warmers, like cinnamon for instance. It's also pretty boozy.

Taste is also sweet and boozy, with honey and caramel the prominent sweet flavors. There is enough hop bitterness and floral, slightly fruity flavor to make this balanced enough to be drinkable. There is some spicing, too, as there was in the smell. Still, it's quite alcoholic and not all that interesting, and it's definitely a slow sipper.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy, pretty heavy in the mouth actually and the booze makes it a bit hot, but still a pretty smooth feel.

This is my first braggot, and I just don't see it being a style I could get into. I'm not a huge barleywine fan either, but at least they are more interesting and typically hoppier than this. Still, I did find this starting to wear on me a bit - maybe because of the nearly 12% alcohol. It's still a slow sipper, but it's not too bad. (1,311 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Brassy orange with an infusion of cherry. Hmmm, I expected some shade of gold. The ecru colored crown is fizzy, unsticky and not very attractive. It falls to a thin disk in 30 seconds and doesn't look too shabby once it reaches that point. No lace makes it to the sides of the snifter.

The nose doesn't smell like much other than alcohol. That's to be expected given the ABV and the lack of aromatic ingredients. Pale malt never contributes much and the 'very small amount' of Target hops can't be expected to contribute after an estimated two years in the bottle. I would have thought 2000 lbs of wildflower honey would smell like... honey? Warming brings some Cognac-like fusels to the forefront.

I hate like hell to disparage something with such a rich history, especially with such limited experience, but I fail to see the appeal in braggot. A high-ABV ale that tastes like honey would be great, but there isn't much honey flavor to be had. While BABA tastes better than it smells, depth and complexity is in short supply. Not to mention flavor.

Brother Adam's comes across as a light-bodied, pale malty, sparsely hopped American barleywine. The brewery must have thought so too because they put 'Barley Wine Style' on the label. Warming ushers in a little more flavor in the form of light toffee and a boozy fruitiness. It isn't like I need to dig deep to figure out each and every nuance... because there aren't any.

This is definitely one of the lightest high-ABV ales in recent... or not so recent... memory. Here again, I expected something with a little honey-like stickiness. Since what substance starts each mouthful finishes each mouthful, an above average score is warranted.

I'm beginning to feel a bit better about Brother Adam's Bragget Honey Ale as the ounces slip by. Actually, that's probably the 11.8% ABV talking. Another few ounces and I'll be feeling charitably toward everyone and everything. Since this is the highest rated braggot on the site, I guess I'm just not a fan. Thanks Sudsdog. (2,020 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

22oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a woody amber with a small light tan head.

S: Raw honey and dark fruit esters. Sweet but a little drying.

T: Not quite as full as the nose. Dry vinous notes and semi-sweet honey, big solvent alcohol in the finish.

M: A bit thin, light carbonation.

O: The thin body and booziness detract, although the beer is interesting. (363 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Good head retention for a high alcohol beer, the color reminds me of a slightly opaque iced tea, little visible activity in the beer, the beer moves with a slight sluggishness indicating some viscosity - 4.00, S: Noticeable orange and spice, honey is apparent though not overpowering, alcohol makes a showing, some fig and mild raisin aromas - 4.25, T: Palate is slanted towards that of an distilled liquor rather than a beer/mead, alcohol has a large role on the flavor profile and reminds me a little of rum, some golden raisin and dark molasses like sweetness - 3.50, M: Dry and with a very fine sandpaper like grit - 3.50, D: My first braggot so I'm not sure what to really expect, at the same time this seemed even less like a beer than what I was expecting, the high alcohol puts enough of a dry burn to take away a little from the drinkability - 2.50 (860 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a clear rich copper with a short lived off-white head. Aroma is deep, caramel and honey malt sweetness. Moderate spice and light floral notes.
Taste starts lightly with honey, then beefs up a bit with a sturdy malt character. Finish has a prominent spice note and a very noticeable alcoholic heat which I don't enjoy. The body is just on the heavy side of medium and semi-sweet.

The alcohol is just too hot for me. Perhaps it would be better with a little age on it. Unfortunately there's no date on the bottle. (539 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Poured a beautiful deep amber-orange. An aggressive pour yielded a late forming creamy beige head that was littered with macro-bubbles that soon dispersed to hardly a trace. Visible carbonation was very light, slow and lazy.

S: some spicy dry oranges, honey with some lingering alcohol fusels. The nose was rather light overall.

T: light with some spicy alcohol fusels and spicy oranges. There was some spicy apple cider, pears and honey notes that sweeten things up. Some hot and spicy alcohol is detected and felt on the finish as well some caramel. The finish was dry with some spicy alcohol laced fruit (melons).

M: very light, thin, slick almost watery in nature with a very soft carbonation.

D: Drinkability was ok, a very thin palate and spicy alcohol fusels may hinder things a bit but it does get better deeper into the drink. (845 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Well this has been sitting in the closet forever. I have really been dipping into the stas so to speak lately and this one is definatly no execption. I got this from barleywinebrewer back in the first barley wine BIF in January and had been saving it for a special occasion that never came, so I went for it tonight. Poured a very clear, honey colored amber with no head and no lace. Lots of visible carbonation streaming up in bubles from the glass throughout the session. The color on this was simply gourgeous, I had not seen anything this shade before, quite stunning actually.

The smell was strong with alcohol straight from the start. Once you got past that, there were very subtle honey aromas and hints of nutmeg and cinnamon. A nice bready grain presence as well as grapes, pears, and a bit of fig could be detected, again though, lots of alcohol on the nose right from the start. The first impression of the taste was hot damn this is strong! No hiding of the 12% ABV on this one, hits you right from the start. Very hot feel, not alot of carbonation in this. It is smooth in the same way a good wine is. Had a definate mead like feel and taste about it. Flavors were were overshadowed a bit by the alcohol. which you really needed to fight your way through. I could detect the ever so slight hint of honey, and alot of the grape flavor in it. Hints of peaches or pears could be detected as well as alot of winter like spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. A very complex flacor profile for sure on this.

Overall this had to be one of the most interesting brews I have ever tried. Came off to me more of a spiced wine then a beer, but it was unique for sure. A bit hot and full of alcohol, but ot had a presence and a flavor that I had not expierence before, and I always appreciate that. Overall I would put this down as one you should definatly give a try to. It was original and worth a look. (1,906 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a dark golden brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin on the glass.

S: The aroma contains honey, caramelized malts, fruit, alcohol and some hops.

T: The taste starts out with a boozy alcohol sting followed by sweet flavors of honey, caramel and fruit. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and the hops presence is mild but complementary creating a decent balance. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, very strong kick, good representation of style, this is a solid stronger beer to sip on for a while but there are other high-ABV beers that I would pick first. (804 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours hazy amber with a vanishing head.

The smell is of caramel, cheesy mustiness and honey.

The taste is of caramel, cheesy mustiness and honey. Honey doesn't overpower, but appropriately dominates. Dryness balances sweetness, though it remains characteristically sweet.

A bit light, but with a bit of syrupy sweetness.

An interesting one to have as a sweet dessert. Pretty "sippable" for the high abv. (407 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

This is a barley wine/bragget ale that definitely tastes like an ale. I had this at room temperature, in the English fashion. As such, it gave a nice, full head, mildly carbonated, thinnish mouthfeel. Nice amber color, otherwise tasted like an average ale. Not too bitter, definitely not sweet. Did not pick up on any honey or other allegedly complex notes, but as the ale is meant to mature with age, could have just been too young. Overall, not exciting, but not terrible. I'd probably try it again in a different format to see if there was any difference. (558 characters)

Brother Adam's Bragget Ale from Atlantic Brewing Company