Brother Adam's Bragget Ale - Atlantic Brewing Company

Brother Adam's Bragget AleBrother Adam's Bragget Ale

Atlantic Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Braggot |  11.80% ABV

Akin to a barley wine, we suggest this ale as an after dinner drink.

It has a truly unique & sophisticated flavor due to the use of wildflower honey as the catalyst for the production of alcohol. We simply use pale malt and a very small amount of Target hops in this Belgian style ale. The bulk of the body, color and sweetness come from the 2,000 lbs. of honey we add to the boil.

The Brother is cellared for up to a year before it is bottled, which helps to marry the flavors and create the complex palate in this Bragget.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brother Adam's Bragget Ale Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

This has been aging since 2009 in my parents cellar. I had this fresh before but I guess I forgot to rate it. This is the only braggot that I have had. Poured into my FFF Teku Glass.

A- Body is a quite muddy/hazy brownish gold hue. Pours with a 1 finger foamy white head that fades somewhat. No lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Honey, a lot of it. Faint malt/barley in the background, and alcohol...not really astringency but alcohol is definitely present.

T- Upfront is a good bit of barley with honey overtones. A lot of honey is added to the finish-it is the highlight of the flavor but it is still rather soft and not overpowering at all. A bit of alcohol warmth lingers with the soft honey.

F- This has done very well with age. Soft carbonation and a smooth honey-like body. Very little alcohol astringency-but its there. Light to medium weight, smooth, and slightly sticky.

O- Overall this is a very good brew both aged and fresh. Braggots are pretty unique and something that I would like to see done more often. I love the honey accent to it.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Perhaps not unsurprising, I am not clear exactly how the style should play out, but...

A: nice clear copper-brown color, with a head that took an effort to produce, but sustained nicely after poured,

S: obvious honey, but some toffee as well. I also get what reminds me a little of instant lemon tea, but I can almost guarantee that's just me.

T/M: the honey backs a light toasty flavor, taking over the taste pretty quickly. From there, there isn't much of an obvious change, to me. The honey taste fades, and I get a little apple and a hint of pine at the end. That pine taste also brings about a burnt sugar taste. None of these are strong as the carbonation hat plays on the tongue to provide more of a distraction from the mead flavors than the other flavors I get.

O: my first sip of this overpowered me with sweetness. On my second sip, with perhaps my buds adjusted, it was obviously not something I was going to drain-pour as syrup. That said, it was still an interesting beer that reminds me a lot of a hopped-up hard cider in its opening sweetness and an overly sweet barley wine in its dark sugar ending.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%