2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moosehead Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 937 | Reviews: 448 | Show All Ratings:
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

1.5/5  rDev -50.8%

A traditional mass produced Canadian beer. It pours light golden, with a faint aroma, and a medium white foamy head. It has a light lager taste, that leaves your palate dry and somewhat unquenched. It does have hints of cereal, wheat, and grassy flavors. They are easy to drink and filling, leaving you feeling kind of bloated. I was able to procure this beer at Feldman's Market in McAllen, Texas.

04-10-2014 01:34:50 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
steveh

2.84/5  rDev -6.9%

Picked up some of this because my German friend Stahlsturm says it's one of his favorite N. American beers. I think he just likes it because the brewery is still independent, not been gobbled up by a big conglomerate.

I used to drink this all the time back in the early to mid-80s, but I probably haven't had it since then.

Green 12 ounce bottle from a covered 12 pack, no recognizable date code anywhere.

A -- Clear, painfully pail straw-yellow color with a smooth, tightly bubbled white head that settles slowly and leaves okay lacing.

S -- Mild DMS and mild grain -- end of.

T -- Mildly sweet graininess with the lightest of spicy hops back, some sweet adjunct maltiness in the finish and absolutely no aftertaste.

M -- Crisp to smooth mouthfeel with a minor touch of carbonation bite. Light body.

O -- My first swallow reminded me of some of the regional premiums from my early beer days; Augsburger, Berghoff, even Andeker. This is a great "lawnmower" beer as they call them. Not offensive in any way, easy to gulp down, but just not that interesting that I'd want to drink it all night. In fact, the very grainy finish starts to fatigue after a while and I start to crave richer barley malt. Sorry Stahl, this doesn't stand up to the German imports I can get... even if they aren't independent.

02-14-2014 20:37:20 | More by steveh
MarkoNm

Slovenia

2.19/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Looks just like any other lager - clear, golden color, small and quickly disappearing white head.
There's not much to the nose - slightly smelly hops and perhaps also some grains. Perhaps.
The taste starts sweet, followed by a very slight bitterness in the body. The finish is pretty neutral, nothing special there.
Nice and drinkable.

01-25-2014 17:34:34 | More by MarkoNm
DenisKolkin

3.3/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Revisiting this long time favorite with a full review. Purchased 473 ml can from LCBO for about $2.50 CDN. Served cold into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear, pale golden color with only 1 finger of head that dissipated quickly. Minimal bubbling to the top of the beer too.

Smell - Slightly floral with some grassy notes. Smells clean and refreshing, but a slight metallicness to this particular can.

Taste - Creeal grains, with a mild sweetness Also slight floral undercurrents on the tongue. Quite tasty and well executed for what it is.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with medium-high carbonation (despite its appearance). A bit of a fizzy characteristics in the mouth.

Overall - A fine beer with that is an easy daily drinker. This used to be my beer of choice before I really started looking for new things. I thought then when i revisited it, I would rate it significantly lower. While this has occurred to a certain extent it still holds up over time, and isn't like to suffer the drop upon re-review that many AAL's will. A solid choice that is extremely accessible and superior to a lot of the macro beer available in Canada.

Serving type: can

01-25-2014 14:20:20 | More by DenisKolkin
metter98

3.04/5  rDev -0.3%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that quickly died down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge along with some lacing down the sides.
S: Light to moderate aromas of grainy malts and sweetness are present in the nose.
T: The overall taste mostly follows the smell and has hints of grassy hops with light amounts of bitterness and sweetness that contrast each other.
M: It feels clean and a bit more than light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink and isn't overly malty or sweet. Although it came in a green bottle, no skunk is perceptible.

01-11-2014 00:27:15 | More by metter98
gestyr

3.45/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pub style glass

A: Pours a nice clear golden color with a thick head of long lasting tightly packed foam that leaves lacing on the glass.

S: Slight citrus/fruity/floral aroma with a malty sweetness

T: The malt is the predominant taste with a slight hops presence. The bitterness is there but does not linger.

M: Light bodied and refreshing

O: This is a good, refreshing lawnmower beer. it would be good to take along on a picnic and would go well with burgers and dogs on a hot summer day.

This is the first I have tasted Moosehead Lager in over 20 years. It does bring back memories. I received a case for Christmas from my brother-in-law and decided to give it a test run tonight. I am not disappointed. I think it is much better than the big 3 lagers.

12-26-2013 00:17:23 | More by gestyr
alankwak

3.76/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: light golden lager with low/medium carbonation and average lacing.

S: Nice hop odor is dominant.

T:I was floored by the malt quality in this beer which I assumed to be a domestic beer. This beer features very high quality malted barley and has a nice hop flavor . One thing a beer lover knows is the quality of the barley backbone of a beer and this has it.

M: light/ medium mouthfeel.

O: I was impressed by this beer which I foolishly assumed was similar to bud, etc.,. Wrong! This is a quality beer with all the flavor. It might just need some carapils for mouthfeel but does taste/smells great!! Must be made with a fine brewing process.

12-14-2013 01:58:25 | More by alankwak
The-Jolly-Imbiber

Antarctica

2.71/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 341 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

1.5-finger head, settled in a couple minutes. A light yellow appearance, much like apple juice.

Smell was a sweet bitterness.

Tasted like cherry cough medicine. Not very appealing.

Strong carbonation, which is nice.

Overall, I can't rate this too highly (I don't like Pale beers).

12-09-2013 03:09:09 | More by The-Jolly-Imbiber
bbluemzbeer

I drank Moosehead years ago . It was on sale at the my local store so I decided to buy without an expecting much more then taste of miller or Budweiser taste. I was pleasantly surprise of quality of Moose head beer.

Appearance ; It looks like a golden lager.

Smell: It smells much better then AA Lager. It has grassy hops and grain smell

Taste: It has some grassy and floral hops taste to it. Their is bitterness which lingers to end. It has great balance of bitter and sweet. It very refreshing because no adjunct added to it. Astronomical high drinkability to this beer! Their are a few beer which are close to it drinkability but not many.

Mouthfeel: Body is light to mild goes well with style. Carbonation is high then settles when you drank it.

Overall: This beer is perfect for my taste. It exceptional simple and clean, refreshing lager with some good beer taste to it. Moosehead beers beats out 99.99 lagers out on the market even European Lagers without the European Lager high price.

11-04-2013 04:29:24 | More by bbluemzbeer
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A pale straw color with white lace, poured from a green bottle. This beer is a bit of a Canadian cult classic but I am only trying it now ... Happened to be a few kicking around at last night's house party and it was early enough in the evening to actually focus on the characteristics and produce an acceptable review. Aroma was fairly fresh sweet grains, some fruity citrus esters, maybe a hint of herbal hops. More pleasant than expected considering the green bottle. I did not get much skunk, presumably thanks to this example being fairly fresh and properly handled. Palate was a bit interesting. There was too much fizz, way too much, but there was also quite a bit of lemon zest, a little peach, a whiff of floral vanilla. A lot of esters for a lager and these added something to the pedestrian sweetish lager malt backbone. Hops are buried deep, not really tasting them at all. Finish was sweetish but reasonably clean. Few obvious faults although things were a tad medicinal and this combined with the aforementioned lemon notes made me think of cold medicine like Neo-Citran or something of that ilk. Still, surprisingly unskunky and with some fresh sweet character than would make me sample again, particularly if the other options are the adjunct lager standards that usually appear at parties (looking at you, Lucky Lager).

11-01-2013 23:02:40 | More by CalgaryFMC
rustyrazor

2.3/5  rDev -24.6%

I'm reviewing the beer that I had from a bottle. I've also had it on tap and if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't all that bad.

This beer is a little bit better than Canadian or Blue except they made one fatal mistake. They didn't put the beer in a brown bottle. I'm not going to assume that everyone knows why this is a problem so here goes:

If beer is exposed to light for even short periods of time it will go skunky (unless it's light stable). If stored in a brown bottle it is protected for much longer. Companies that decide to put their beer in a bottle that isn't brown are either ignorant of one of the basic concepts of beer or they deliberately made the decision to risk skunky beer just so that their beer would have "cool looking green bottle". The problem is that the restaurant owners will most likely stick the beer in a glass front cooler and you end up with ruined skunky beer.

If I were to be honest about it the smell and taste rating should have been 0 but I've had the beer before and I know that it isn't really that bad.

08-09-2013 19:59:32 | More by rustyrazor
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.41/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light golden color. Bubbles constantly rising from the bottom. White fizzy head that retains well, sheets of foamy lacing initially.

Aroma: Slightly metallic, malty sweet, faint grains.

Taste: Sweet malts up front with just a tad of a metallic tang. A mellow grain body, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and dry.

Overall: Much better than I expected. Actually kind of liked it.

08-03-2013 16:03:29 | More by JuicesFlowing
BeerBateo

4.36/5  rDev +43%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I just like the idea of this beer. The name, the moose and the fact that it is from the "great white north" has me proud to be Canadian. Poured from a can into my A&W mug, this beer looks inviting with its gold nugget hue and creamy white suds. Love the mountainous cap *wiping upper lip* and the tons of bubbles from the base. Time for a bubble bath, me thinks!

No skunk lurking around here, thanks God. Mmm, ...flowers, though. Hey, there's a joke in there somewhere.. skunk/flowers.

Goes down smooth. My mouthfeel's nice, I have to say. No after taste what so ever. ..."Bambi!" Yes, that's it. The skunk named Flower. ..I now rename this beer, "Bambi Brew". You heard it hear first.

As for the carbonation, it is medium according to me. Moosehead is just right. Just as right as Baby Bear's chair. Also, as sweet as his porridge. Jeez, i sound like i'm reviewing childrens' books.

I would like to suggest that the brewery add the ingredient that is put in that wine (Pinot More) to keep it from going right through you. I've been to the biffy twice since I started this review!

You get more than what you pay for, with this one. I do like this beer and I do think I'll have another!

Serving type: can

07-09-2013 01:52:20 | More by BeerBateo
supercodes

Maine

2.05/5  rDev -32.8%

Classifying this as American Pale Lager is a bit generous. Beer Advocate has an adjunct American pilsner style, and this pretty much fits the bill for that classification. I am surprised by the generosity of some reviewers here, as Moosehead Lager pours, smells and tastes like most generic macros we've all encountered. There is very little prominent flavor , and no after taste to speak of. Drinking this brew ice cold is preferable, as the mouthfeel at least, is decent with the strong carbonation.

I know Labatt and Molson are not upscale beers with wholesome flavors, but I think both are preferable to Moosehead Lager.

06-29-2013 22:53:42 | More by supercodes
Watershed

2.99/5  rDev -2%

Ah, Moosehead, an independent alternative to Canada's two macro flagship lagers (Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian), and superior to both -- but is it in any way a good beer?

Poured from the trademark (and controversial) 355mL green bottle into a pint glass. Maybe it's in my head -- having spent some great years in New Brunswick, I admittedly have a soft spot for this beer -- but it glows a little golder than your average macro swill, with a sudsy head that settles into a effervescent film. Smell-wise, well, this is where the controversy kicks in: Is that slight pungency a skunkiness brought on by the verboten green bottle, or is it a slight distinguishing hop character? (I'm going to hedge and say both.) In any case, that pungency mostly disappears in the taste, which shows syrupy grains and even a slight vanilla character. It's this lingering sweetness that really distinguishes Moosehead from its macro brethren, and whether one enjoys this sweetness will likely determine whether one finds it worth picking up a stray 6-pack now and again.

I buy macro two or three times a year tops, and Moosehead (along with Labatt 50 and Molson Stock Ale, plus the even better Moose Red) remains my swill of choice. Call me a sentimental Canadian, but I'd say this is worth trying at least once.

06-22-2013 22:12:31 | More by Watershed
Olek4374

Alberta (Canada)

3.11/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Moosehead is as Canadian as hockey and pronouncing Z as zed. It's surprisingly in the same price range as the usual suspects Kokanee and Bud and Canadian, but it offers such a nicer flavour that I am surprised it doesn't have a more solid following.

The beer pours your ordinary yellow lager colour with a moderate amount of carbonation and a good thick head that lasts longer than most macros. It smells a little skunky from the green bottle, but thankfully has a great grainy aroma to go along with it. It's not the heaviest tasting lager, and has a gentle body to it, but most importantly it lacks the unpleasant adjunct flavour that so many of the macros here carry with them, and the aftertaste is a delightful bitterness that is just weak enough not to make my face cringe.

I grab a case of this from time to time, partly cause I'm a good Canadian like that, but also because it's just a simple, refreshing, but well made beer. This is one of the Canadian beers to start with if you're going to try our beer for the first time.

06-01-2013 02:33:47 | More by Olek4374
UCLABrewN84

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a clear gold with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and sugary aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet grain flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but nothing too exciting going on here.

05-26-2013 04:22:29 | More by UCLABrewN84
Aretis

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +55.7%

Moosehead has a phenomenal taste. Easily the best beer I've ever had. It has a very pleasing feel in your mouth and is good year round. The price is decent too. I have found it for around $11.99 for a 12 pack. If you don't like this beer then something is wrong with you.

05-21-2013 05:38:21 | More by Aretis
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

2.74/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served from a 341ml bottle

A: Generic pale lager color. One finger head soapy and sudsy looking.

S: Skunk. That is literally all. So potent you can smell someone opening it from 5 feet away.

T: Skunk and grain. Bitterness is low .Not completely awful but its up there. Still drinkable but not really enjoyable.

M: Crisp and refreshing on the way down. At least its got that going for it.

O: I really can't understand how this beer consistently gets decent ratings. Every single one I've ever had from a bottle has been skunky. I cannot understand green bottles. I've had it on draft and its decent then but green bottles no thank you.

04-28-2013 12:31:17 | More by Haydn-Juby
gpogo

2.91/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Clear yellow beer. Constant bubbles and a white head with small foam cap.

A- Light sweet malt smell. Plain and lacking.

T- Light sweet malt flavor, very light bitterness throughout has a creamy vanilla/phenolic aftertaste. When moderately warm the bitterness is somewhat unpleasant.

M- Light body, moderate carbonation. Somewhat watery.

D- For what it is, not bad. That said it is on the lacking side of taste and aroma.

04-08-2013 06:05:46 | More by gpogo
jjamadorphd

3.14/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Moosehead - another Canuck beer that wasn't to inspiring.

Out of the bottle the beer was your normal, everyday looking beer. It puts w thing but white and foamy head with no staying power. Smell was typical as well. Highly car instead with a watery taste not exactly what I was expecting. Overall, I scored it a little above average because of the distinct hint of sweetness to the beer. Not sure what it was but I liked it.

03-23-2013 01:52:51 | More by jjamadorphd
dbrauneis

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a bottle at Village Pourhouse in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with some golden yellow highlights and light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy white head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering a little over half the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Upfront there is a light to moderate amount of skunk aroma (likely due to the green glass bottle) but after that dissipates there is a light amount of sweet malts with a touch of grain and just a hint of floral and grassy hops.

T: The beer is light to moderately sweet with flavors of malts and a touch of grain adjuncts. There are some very light flavors of grassy and floral hops. Light amounts of bitterness that linger into the finish, along with the overall sweetness.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with a little more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of crispness.

O: Probably one of the better examples of the AAL style with slightly more flavor than I expected (and not quite as thin or watery as most). I remember as a child thinking that Moosehead was some kind of fancy import beer - man times have changed.

02-13-2013 21:59:08 | More by dbrauneis
Treyliff

West Virginia

3.39/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this one into a mug, pours a bright golden color with a decent size fizzy white head that reduces to skim the top, carbonation bubbles shoot up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell provides a bit if skunk, as expected from a green bottle. But beyond that I pick up some sweet malt with some grain, some herbal tea, and maybe even some floral hop.

T- very light and clean on the palate, some grainy malt up front, a bit if sweetness mid-palate, and finishes dry and light with just a trace of hop.

M- body is light, with spritzy yet moderate carbonation, mouthfeel is slick and just a bit foamy.

O- this isn't my style, but its one if the better ones that I've had. It's very clean and there's not much too it. But the taste isn't off-puting like many others of the style.

01-13-2013 20:42:55 | More by Treyliff
facundoCNB

2.1/5  rDev -31.1%

clean yellow pour, lots of visible carbonation, half a finger of head. smells bread, lots of yeast, sweet malt. damn this is almost flavorless. very subtle hint of sweet grain bill. no hops.. nothing really. ugh. light-medium in body, moderate carbonation.

this is a pretty lousy beer. don't know if it's cheap, but tastes like it should be around $3 a 6pk.

01-02-2013 01:27:51 | More by facundoCNB
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev +19%

Half finger of head. Lot of bubbles visible in the clear, golden body.
Smell is a little honey and grain. Faint overall.
A great taste. Sweet and bitter mix well. Good bitterness to finish.
Crisp texture, moderate carbonation.
A pretty good lager. A definite "go-to."

11-18-2012 02:40:03 | More by Fatehunter
Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.