Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moosehead Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 467 | Hads: 1,207

First had: bottle from some friend's cooler

First beer I ever had. Good thing I kept trying.

Pours a clear straw color with a small, white head that fizzles out rather quickly. Not much in the smell other than skunk and some light malts. About the same in the taste: stale malts and lots of skunk. Fizzy and weak, light bodied, and none to drinkable. Please avoid. (366 characters)

1.19/5  rDev -61.7%

Holy skunk, Batman! Usually the first thing I comment on id the appearance, but I didn’t even get it out of the bottle before this NASTY wave of skunk hit me. Didn’t get any better when I pour it into the glass. Let’s let it sit for a bit and see if the stink subsides a bit. It’s a pale gold brew with a small, white, rapidly diminishing, fizzy head. OK, the stink did go away a bit, but it’s still not pleasing. Now I can pick up a corny, grainy, adjunct smell with a little floral hop to it. Taste is vegetable-like, with a skunk kick. Even my belch is skunky. This is just wrong, and it’s going down the drain. I remember back in the day, I used to like this stuff. Maybe it’s a bad bottle, but looking at the past few reviews, I’m thinking it’s just a crappy beer. Avoid. (785 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -55%

[Eyes] Clean Yellow Brillant looking with a respectable head.

[Nouse] Some hops in there, very light Like a German pils.

[MOuth] Tastes like water with a little touch of alcohol: crisp and clean with absolutely no respectable flavor, is fresh like a comercial Comun pale lager

Serving type: bottle (302 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -53.4%

Nose of metal, and cats pee (for those of who that don’t know cats pee is a legitimate smell description often used by winos.) Taste is watery, grainy and rather sweet. A cloying sweetness with faint hints of artificial grape flavor is present instead of bittering. This is a nasty beer. It seems so innocuous, and I have never encountered any American macros I simply could not handle, but this one will go down as the first. I gave this one to my roommate. Puke (464 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Funky skunk taste, watery, weak, and a waste of money for what you pay for, $16 Aussie dollars a sixer( around $8US), tastes like evry other mass produced lager ever made, quite sweet, very one dimensional mass market style lager. zzzzzzzz............ (251 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%

Cost: expensive

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: 15 years ago my friends and I always thought this was 8% ABV so we would get past the nasty tase because we thought we were drinking more alcohol...silly us I guess...

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n (488 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -50.2%

A traditional mass produced Canadian beer. It pours light golden, with a faint aroma, and a medium white foamy head. It has a light lager taste, that leaves your palate dry and somewhat unquenched. It does have hints of cereal, wheat, and grassy flavors. They are easy to drink and filling, leaving you feeling kind of bloated. I was able to procure this beer at Feldman's Market in McAllen, Texas. (398 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I have had this once and it was the definition of a skunky beer. I can't speak for how this normally tastes, but what I had was definitely beer gone bad (152 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -47.3%

This beer pours a pale straw colour. However, that is the only really decent quality about the beer. Due to it being in a glass bottle, skunk cabbage reins throughout with some corn and rice rounding it out. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, and I regret having purchased a twelver of this shit. This is just plain not a worthy beer. (329 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -46.9%

How could I turn down having the good ole moose. Somehow between the thinner yellow color and even thinner taste, I didn't manage to pour this one out. Its not totally offensive as say for instance Busch Light. Its bland, but not skunked. It's what we call a lawnmower beer when all other lawnmower beers have been exhausted. (325 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -46.6%

Feh. Skunky and foul smelling. Not a real turn on.

Pours up like apple juice, just a few bubbles, no real head to speak of. Actually no real film to speak of either. Just a couple of wisps and part of a ring around the glass. Pretty pathetic.

Watery, slightly sweet. Can't identify any of those things you might expect to find in a beer.

Give it a pass. The rest of this one goes down the sink. (403 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -46%

Appearance: Light yellow , not much head retention

Smell: Think watered down Bud Light and ad some skunk

Taste: Same as smell

Mouthfeel: Club soda

Drinkability: not bad if guzzled but leaves a chemical taste. Terrible if you try to savor the flavor.

My dad calls it "moose piss" and now I get why. PBR is a better all around beer in my opinion. (349 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -45%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color, with a thin white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grain, light malts, along with a touch of hops, but overall it's quite off.

T: The taste is pretty much a bready and mild malt sweetness. There's a very mild hops presence that brings in a little bit of balance. The after-taste is likewise slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily enough, not filling at all, mild kick, there's really not much of anything here that would make me want to drink this beer again. (732 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

A light golden color with a small head,although it does have alot of carbonation bubbles.The smell has a slight hoppiness,but nothing else.The taste is, light,weak,and watery.It has a slight carmel aftertaste,but this is pretty bad.The m/f is like the taste,weak and watery.I can't imagine ever having this again. (313 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

This beer poured a pale yellow color and formed a bubbly white head that left no lace as it subsided. An aroma of hops and grain. The flavor was of hops and grain. The body is fairly light and mostly bite to hide any type of finish. I had friends in college from Canada, so I always had them introducing different beers to me from there nation. One of them loved this beer, but I have never been that impressed with it. I found the taste, mouthfeel and smell not very good at all. (480 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -42.8%

Appearance: Almost no carbonation, no head and color. It's light light yellow. Even Bud looks better than this.

Smell: Terrible. Smells extremely skunky upon opening and slowly yields to nothing. Aside from adjuncts, nothing going on here.

Taste: Sweet and metallic. Just want to pound through this to get it over with.

Mouthfeel: Watery, astringent with a steel aftertaste.

Drinkability: Absolutely do not want another one of these. Worse than almost every other macro lager I've ever had. Won't buy this ever again. Can't believe Canada's oldest independent brewery has been around this long. i thought Canadian beer was supposed to be good? (647 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -40.8%

Appearance – Light yellow and very clear with some active carbonation. The head came up nicely but did a James Brown on me and was gone in a flash.

Smell – This one smelled like a farting skunk that ate rice for dinner.

Taste – This was horrid. The rice is subtle and is mixed with a pukish Sweet-N-Low sugary substance.

Mouthfeel – I kind of like the mouthfeel to this one. The carbonation isn’t bad, and it goes down smoother than most.

Drinkability – I can’t believe that I used to like this beer. (519 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 19 oz. pilsner glass.

Appearance: Golden and translucent; pretty much like most macros. Small bubbly head that dissipates almost instantly, leaving almost no lace. The best part of the beer.

Smell: Pretty bland. Smells kind of sweet and grassy. Not really much going on here.

Taste: Not good. Almost no flavor. Whatever is there is very slightly hopped (I mean like literally one hop) and kind of grassy.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated. No good.

Drinkability: Honestly, am I drinking beer or sparkling water? Better than most macros but still nothing good. (603 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -39.9%

This was tasted in a pilsener glass from the bottle.

There is a good golden color with poor head retention. This beer makes you suspect that the color might be artificial. It smells every so slightly hoppy but there are no presence of malts. You can defeinetly smell that skunk though. Again the taste is skunk. This overpowers and other hops or malts. The beer is watery but there is good carbonation. This could be artificial too though. Maybe if this beer was cold enough, your tastebuds cold be numbed enough just to enjoy a buzz. (537 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -39.5%

12 oz. with no freshness date - served chilled in a pilsner glass. Pours a pale gold/straw with lots of streams of carbonation and a 1/2 inch head that fades fairly quickly but doesn't die, leaving some lacing toward the end. Has the grassy/skunky/metallic scent of a Euro macro. On the palate there is sweet grain, hops, skunk, and wet paper. It's the last flavor that ruins it for me and leads me to believe it's a bad bottle. The body is light and tingly with not much aftertaste and I'm sure I could make a session beer out of some fresh ones (which I would then re-review). (578 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -39.2%

The only thing I can really say about this brew is the attractive logo on the bottle. The smell really tuned me off before I even tasted it and then the taste confirmed it. Very skunky and such a bad after taste. I'm sure some like this beer, but its not my cup of tea or should I say beer lol.......CHEERS (309 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -38.6%

Nice golden brew with a generous head. Strong skunky taste with a small malt aftertaste. This is a very light brew. This is one of the worst macro I had for a while. I don't see the need to drink this again and again why are they using light green bottle... (257 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -38.6%

I usually type these out in order, appearance first and whatnot, but I've gotta start with smell on this one. As soon as I popped the cap, I just got this rush of having just run over a skunk that was crossing the road (and, yes, I know what this smells like). A skunk with those sulfur farts. I plan to pick up another bottle, to see if maybe this one just went bad in it's green bottle, but this is where the review stands now.

Color is an off-golden color, a bit too dark for golden, though. Very short-lived head. Skunky, sulfuric aroma, as described above.

This one definitelly won't wreck the pallate. I can taste some hops in there, but very little, and that's the whole flavor. Crisp and clean on the pallate, as well, but a bit too watery.

Very drinkable, if you can get past the smell. (804 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -38.3%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle, 5.0% ABV

Appearance: Golden straw color with some carbonation. Average.

Smell: SKUNK. More stinky and you hit a skunk. TOTALLY AWFUL.

Taste: Some drinkers won't trade their Moosehead for anything else, but lots of others drinkers avoid it. I am one of them. I never really liked its taste, but I wanted to give it another chance for this review. Wrong idea. The taste is also skunky.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and fun, but the taste is not very good. So, it reduces your mouthfeel quality.

Drinkability: Not really drinkable. Some bottles might be ok, but it is usally crap you will get with this brand. It's sad, but I don't know why. If I am in the Maritimes, I will rather drink Alexander Keith's or Alpine. Moosehead sounds better to me for its hockey team rather than its premium beer. (830 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours a light gold with a pathetic head and anemic lacing. The aroma is light malt, grain husk and a wisp of hops. The taste is so boring. Just some sweetish malts. Also some vegetal DMS and earthy hops. Diacetyl and grain are prominent in the finish. The mouthfeel is too watery.

This is worse than Bud. The vegetal flavors are too prominent. (347 characters)

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.