Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

good

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moosehead Lager Alström Bros

Kind of a dull beer. Not much off taste but nothing great to detect either. Good but not that lasting head, golden collored and clear beer. Nose is some maltarome, litle citric note litle aplearome but all dosed very low. As taste is; litle maltarome, litle sweetness, little bitter, fresh but overal a dull brew. Drinkable but so is Molson

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

I tried this with high hopes that it would be as good as the movie “Never Cry Wolf” made it sound. Appearance is standard golden, with white foam and soon-gone lace. Aroma contains barley, sweet malt and mild hops. Initial taste is clean and mildly carbonated, a bit of malt, and a snappish hop kick. Finish is dry and leaves no aftertaste. Okay, but not great.

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

This was one of the first beers that someone called a step up from the average American macro brews. I took them at their word and assumed that it was a better than average beer. Now I disagree with that assessment but at the time, it helped me to realize that there was more out there than Bud and Miller.

This beer isn't anything special. It is not pretty in color or head (which doesn't hold well) and has a beery, slightly bitter smell, sometimes skunky and sour.

It tastes like your average lager and that's about it. Grains, malts, hoppy at times. Goes down quick and easy which makes it great for a hot afternoon when you want something to gulp.

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle obtained from a local grocery store (HyVee) and consumed a couple days later. Pours a two-finger white fluffy head over a crystal clear light straw liquid. Streams up bubbles race to the top. Smells tinny (like Saaz hops) with a very gentle malt sweetness. Cut dried hay, like my in-laws barn (but not dirty smelling). Taste starts rough bitter then a gentle malt sweet rolls in. Mild and clean. There also is a watery flavor. Later, a mild floral hangs around in the aftertaste. Sharp carbonation that's not too distracting, but carbonation is part of the flavor profile. Super-thin mouthfeel.

1.9/5  rDev -37.5%

The moose is a cool animal but does this beer offer more than the coolness of the moose? The aroma contains skunkiness but overall fairly clean. The white head dissapears quickly. The taste is so damn malty and sweet. Not pickin much up in terms of hoppage though. The sweet plastic tasting nastiness is really gross. At first this was fairly easy to drink but the taste just got more and more annoying. Now i don't like budwesier but this is worse, it is jsut plain queer. Really dissapointing. They tried to complicate something that was meant to be simple.

1.85/5  rDev -39.1%

12 oz. with no freshness date - served chilled in a pilsner glass. Pours a pale gold/straw with lots of streams of carbonation and a 1/2 inch head that fades fairly quickly but doesn't die, leaving some lacing toward the end. Has the grassy/skunky/metallic scent of a Euro macro. On the palate there is sweet grain, hops, skunk, and wet paper. It's the last flavor that ruins it for me and leads me to believe it's a bad bottle. The body is light and tingly with not much aftertaste and I'm sure I could make a session beer out of some fresh ones (which I would then re-review).

3.98/5  rDev +30.9%

Pale yellow that is so similar to light lagers it's not funny. Good head and nice amount of lace give it a better look.

Smell is light. Hops and a light amount of malt give it a clean aroma.

Taste is crisp and clean with no off flavors. Light malt flavor is met with a decent amount of hop.

A very decent lager that is rather affordable and doesn't use/have the adjunct flavor of other lower price brews.

3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

One of the best examples of the best Canadian macros out there (eat your heart out, Labatt and Molson). This is a crisp, clean and very drinkable beer. Color is crystal clear gold, moderate head. Smell is cereal grain and malt, slightly grassy. Clean, and no off flavors. No Unibroue, but still one of my favorite Canadian Lagers.

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours with a two-finger white head that fades quickly leaving traces of lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Slight hoppy/skunky nose. Starts with a mix of hops and sweetness, finish is clean, better than American lagers. $1.50 for a 12oz green bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

2.53/5  rDev -16.8%

8 13 3 lazer printed on green 12 oz bottle above atractive label. From my last trip to to Corall liquors in Granite City, Ill. Found it lurking behind a few cases of Little Yeomans.

Unpleasant aroma - maybe lightstruck. Carbonation level helps mouthfeel which helps stand this out from Macro lagers. Recomend you try it from the tap. Its hops and their bitter finish help and this sweet tasting Lager does not loose much if any of its drinkability as it warms up.

Pair with moose head soup, boiled moose nose, moose tongue sandwich.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

Since some two years to now this Canadian lager is easy to find in my city, Monterrey, México.
Quite cheap for an imported beer, so you can find it in most Sunday barbecues. Some fellows steer away from it because of it's price: If it's cheap, it must be bad.

Yellow and clear color, some head and lacing, too.
Grainy smell, with hops and some mild roasted maltiness.
Taste is crisp, hoppy and more bitter than most macro lagers.
Stingy due to it's carbonation, but not bad at all.
Ice cold you can have plenty.

¡Salud!

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%

Pale yellow color with a white lace for a head. Smells grainy with some sweet malts and clean mild hops. Taste like grains and sweet malts. A clean hop background and a clean finish. A good amount of carbonation and a meduim light body. All around tasty easy to drink lager.

1.95/5  rDev -35.9%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle, 5.0% ABV

Appearance: Golden straw color with some carbonation. Average.

Smell: SKUNK. More stinky and you hit a skunk. TOTALLY AWFUL.

Taste: Some drinkers won't trade their Moosehead for anything else, but lots of others drinkers avoid it. I am one of them. I never really liked its taste, but I wanted to give it another chance for this review. Wrong idea. The taste is also skunky.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and fun, but the taste is not very good. So, it reduces your mouthfeel quality.

Drinkability: Not really drinkable. Some bottles might be ok, but it is usally crap you will get with this brand. It's sad, but I don't know why. If I am in the Maritimes, I will rather drink Alexander Keith's or Alpine. Moosehead sounds better to me for its hockey team rather than its premium beer.

1.18/5  rDev -61.2%

Holy skunk, Batman! Usually the first thing I comment on id the appearance, but I didn’t even get it out of the bottle before this NASTY wave of skunk hit me. Didn’t get any better when I pour it into the glass. Let’s let it sit for a bit and see if the stink subsides a bit. It’s a pale gold brew with a small, white, rapidly diminishing, fizzy head. OK, the stink did go away a bit, but it’s still not pleasing. Now I can pick up a corny, grainy, adjunct smell with a little floral hop to it. Taste is vegetable-like, with a skunk kick. Even my belch is skunky. This is just wrong, and it’s going down the drain. I remember back in the day, I used to like this stuff. Maybe it’s a bad bottle, but looking at the past few reviews, I’m thinking it’s just a crappy beer. Avoid.

2.03/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured a clear light straw with a small white head with no staying power to speak of.

As soon as this beer was opened the skunkiness was all over the room. Underneath said light struck character was a faint tinge of sweet malts.

Flavor is also strongly skunked, sweet almost corny malts and a strong bitterness in the finish.

This is one of the worst samples I've tried of Moosehead. I'll re-review this beer from a case or twelve pack that hasn't been light struck, as it's not usually this skunky.

2.25/5  rDev -26%

Crystal clear pale maize with accents the color of butter (not gaudy margarine yellow, but pale butter yellow). The head is airy and semi-stiff, but still looks like it has more substance than the average mass-produced lager. The cap lingers at a fat one finger for a bit with one undulating ring of lace just above the surface of the beer.

There was a big blast of skunk on top popping that, although it's much less noticeable now, hasn't completely faded. I doubt that this bottle is truly skunked though, even with the green glass. It's anything but an enticing aroma and is weak enough that it can be easily ignored.

I drank my share of Moosehead back in the day and this Moosehead doesn't taste like I remember. Little wonder since it's been 15+ years and 700+ beers ago. I preferred Labatt Blue back then because I always found The Moose to be too bitter. Well, this beer is anything but. It doesn't have enough flavor to be bitter.

Light, weak flavor is carried on a light, weak body. There's some slight hoppiness I guess, but the IBUs have to be in the single digits. Again, it isn't assertive enough to have a bad flavor, and is, in that sense at least, drinkable. This is one of the weakest non-light beers that I've ever consumed.

Why is this Canadian-brewed beer an *American* all-malt lager and not an adjunct lager? (note: the 'adjunct lager' style has since been changed to 'macro lager'). Moosehead Breweries Ltd. may not have used adjuncts, but perhaps they should have. At least then, there'd be some flavor. Better yet, add more ingredients and give us some beer with our beer.

Moosehead Lager is an unoffensive rehydrater. Hey, at least I didn't make any moose <liquid waste product> references.

3.45/5  rDev +13.5%

First off I must start by stating I hate green bottles and therefore usually do not like beer in green bottles. However...I like Moosehead, unfortunately I can only purchase it in 12-packs, which also tends to lead me to drink too many. Review is from note for this reason.

Appearance: Yeah, its like a macro, carbonated, clear, thin head that dies quickly.

Smell: Slightly more than a typical American macro. Slightly grainy, yet a hint of malt and something else. Also no skunky aroma.

Taste: Malt tease on the tongue, followed by a little hop-like bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel: A little light in bodied, well carbonated.

Drinkability: No problem putting these away, and I'll likely purchase again sometime in the future.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a fan of this one but I do drink it from time to time when visiting my parents. The two I had last night were probably about the best Moosehead I ever tasted. No skunkiness, a nice white bubbly head, pale straw color, and crisp carbonation. The taste and mouthfeel are lacking, though, making this a real quick drink. I plowed through two in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for the beer, Pop.

2.23/5  rDev -26.6%

12/09/04- Purchased at my local Safeway in San Mateo, CA

Appearance- Pours with a medium size large bubbly head which is gone almost immediately. Medium yellow color lager, leaves nil lacing.

Smell- A bit sweet grain scent. Smells a tad skunky.

Taste- Yeah, has that definite skunky taste. Very reminecent of Heineken. Lots of sweetness common in lagers, but the skunky taste ruins it for me.

Mouthfeel- Nice carbonation level, but can't get over that taste wafting through my mouth.

Drinkability- Nope, sorry, it was all I could do to finish the bottle. I'll pass on these in the future.

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

Reviewing this as an American Macro Lager. Pours a crystal clear gold with a 1 1/2 finger head. The head did hang around for 3 or 4 minutes and left a very thin head with ok lace. Smells of a typical macro, some malt with some bitternes mixed with a bit of rice and corn. As far as taste it has a bit more flavor than the average. A sweet malt finished by some mild hop bitternes. Some rice and corn notes come through as well. Finishes a bit dry. As far as typical macros, this one is better than the average, but there are still better choices out there (Upper Canada Lager comes to mind). A good beer to always have available due to its drinkability.

1.7/5  rDev -44.1%

Feh. Skunky and foul smelling. Not a real turn on.

Pours up like apple juice, just a few bubbles, no real head to speak of. Actually no real film to speak of either. Just a couple of wisps and part of a ring around the glass. Pretty pathetic.

Watery, slightly sweet. Can't identify any of those things you might expect to find in a beer.

Give it a pass. The rest of this one goes down the sink.

2.42/5  rDev -20.4%

I tried this beer for the second time last night (being from new orleans moosehead isn't really a beer worth getting other than trying it out). from a bottle i poured out a light golden beer with little head. The aroma smelled extremely grainy and very potent. My friend could smell it from across the room as another thought it smelled like cereal. The taste was very typical lager flavor, a little more grainy than others i thought. Average body for a lager, nothing to get worked up on. Wasn't a bad beer just not all that good and i probably won't have one for a long while since i thought there wasn't anything special in this one.

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

I don't know why, but I've never had a good experience with Moosehead in cans, in bottles it's your typical North American macro lager but better. I've almost come to order them by default in places with limited selection...I've never noticed the skunk thing that others have mentioned. If you find any Moosehead cans with Spanish on them outside of Mexico, the police in New Brunswick are looking for several thousand.

2.65/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

This was one of my first beers outside the BMC ring, albeit it's not much different. Although I assume that i'll always have a little soft spot for the moose. Definately won't be purchasing in bulk anytime soon but a bottle every 6 months or so brings back some memories. Pours a super light straw color with a head consisting of rather large bubbles and the air is filled with that skunked funk (which I actually don't mind that much). Taste is very similiar to american macros, but there is a little little little (can't emphasize this enough) taste of some hoppiness. Mouthfeel is very light. Despite the blandness of this beer, I don't really mind it. But I don't see why I always seemed to purchase this in times past.

1.93/5  rDev -36.5%

I usually type these out in order, appearance first and whatnot, but I've gotta start with smell on this one. As soon as I popped the cap, I just got this rush of having just run over a skunk that was crossing the road (and, yes, I know what this smells like). A skunk with those sulfur farts. I plan to pick up another bottle, to see if maybe this one just went bad in it's green bottle, but this is where the review stands now.

Color is an off-golden color, a bit too dark for golden, though. Very short-lived head. Skunky, sulfuric aroma, as described above.

This one definitelly won't wreck the pallate. I can taste some hops in there, but very little, and that's the whole flavor. Crisp and clean on the pallate, as well, but a bit too watery.

Very drinkable, if you can get past the smell.

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.