Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moosehead Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 471 | Hads: 1,220
2.18/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Looks just like any other lager - clear, golden color, small and quickly disappearing white head.
There's not much to the nose - slightly smelly hops and perhaps also some grains. Perhaps.
The taste starts sweet, followed by a very slight bitterness in the body. The finish is pretty neutral, nothing special there.
Nice and drinkable. (335 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Revisiting this long time favorite with a full review. Purchased 473 ml can from LCBO for about $2.50 CDN. Served cold into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear, pale golden color with only 1 finger of head that dissipated quickly. Minimal bubbling to the top of the beer too.

Smell - Slightly floral with some grassy notes. Smells clean and refreshing, but a slight metallicness to this particular can.

Taste - Creeal grains, with a mild sweetness Also slight floral undercurrents on the tongue. Quite tasty and well executed for what it is.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with medium-high carbonation (despite its appearance). A bit of a fizzy characteristics in the mouth.

Overall - A fine beer with that is an easy daily drinker. This used to be my beer of choice before I really started looking for new things. I thought then when i revisited it, I would rate it significantly lower. While this has occurred to a certain extent it still holds up over time, and isn't like to suffer the drop upon re-review that many AAL's will. A solid choice that is extremely accessible and superior to a lot of the macro beer available in Canada. (1,126 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -2.3%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that quickly died down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge along with some lacing down the sides.
S: Light to moderate aromas of grainy malts and sweetness are present in the nose.
T: The overall taste mostly follows the smell and has hints of grassy hops with light amounts of bitterness and sweetness that contrast each other.
M: It feels clean and a bit more than light-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink and isn't overly malty or sweet. Although it came in a green bottle, no skunk is perceptible. (755 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pub style glass

A: Pours a nice clear golden color with a thick head of long lasting tightly packed foam that leaves lacing on the glass.

S: Slight citrus/fruity/floral aroma with a malty sweetness

T: The malt is the predominant taste with a slight hops presence. The bitterness is there but does not linger.

M: Light bodied and refreshing

O: This is a good, refreshing lawnmower beer. it would be good to take along on a picnic and would go well with burgers and dogs on a hot summer day.

This is the first I have tasted Moosehead Lager in over 20 years. It does bring back memories. I received a case for Christmas from my brother-in-law and decided to give it a test run tonight. I am not disappointed. I think it is much better than the big 3 lagers. (794 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: light golden lager with low/medium carbonation and average lacing.

S: Nice hop odor is dominant.

T:I was floored by the malt quality in this beer which I assumed to be a domestic beer. This beer features very high quality malted barley and has a nice hop flavor . One thing a beer lover knows is the quality of the barley backbone of a beer and this has it.

M: light/ medium mouthfeel.

O: I was impressed by this beer which I foolishly assumed was similar to bud, etc.,. Wrong! This is a quality beer with all the flavor. It might just need some carapils for mouthfeel but does taste/smells great!! Must be made with a fine brewing process. (647 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 341 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

1.5-finger head, settled in a couple minutes. A light yellow appearance, much like apple juice.

Smell was a sweet bitterness.

Tasted like cherry cough medicine. Not very appealing.

Strong carbonation, which is nice.

Overall, I can't rate this too highly (I don't like Pale beers). (333 characters)

I drank Moosehead years ago . It was on sale at the my local store so I decided to buy without an expecting much more then taste of miller or Budweiser taste. I was pleasantly surprise of quality of Moose head beer.

Appearance ; It looks like a golden lager.

Smell: It smells much better then AA Lager. It has grassy hops and grain smell

Taste: It has some grassy and floral hops taste to it. Their is bitterness which lingers to end. It has great balance of bitter and sweet. It very refreshing because no adjunct added to it. Astronomical high drinkability to this beer! Their are a few beer which are close to it drinkability but not many.

Mouthfeel: Body is light to mild goes well with style. Carbonation is high then settles when you drank it.

Overall: This beer is perfect for my taste. It exceptional simple and clean, refreshing lager with some good beer taste to it. Moosehead beers beats out 99.99 lagers out on the market even European Lagers without the European Lager high price. (999 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A pale straw color with white lace, poured from a green bottle. This beer is a bit of a Canadian cult classic but I am only trying it now ... Happened to be a few kicking around at last night's house party and it was early enough in the evening to actually focus on the characteristics and produce an acceptable review. Aroma was fairly fresh sweet grains, some fruity citrus esters, maybe a hint of herbal hops. More pleasant than expected considering the green bottle. I did not get much skunk, presumably thanks to this example being fairly fresh and properly handled. Palate was a bit interesting. There was too much fizz, way too much, but there was also quite a bit of lemon zest, a little peach, a whiff of floral vanilla. A lot of esters for a lager and these added something to the pedestrian sweetish lager malt backbone. Hops are buried deep, not really tasting them at all. Finish was sweetish but reasonably clean. Few obvious faults although things were a tad medicinal and this combined with the aforementioned lemon notes made me think of cold medicine like Neo-Citran or something of that ilk. Still, surprisingly unskunky and with some fresh sweet character than would make me sample again, particularly if the other options are the adjunct lager standards that usually appear at parties (looking at you, Lucky Lager). (1,336 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -25.7%

I'm reviewing the beer that I had from a bottle. I've also had it on tap and if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't all that bad.

This beer is a little bit better than Canadian or Blue except they made one fatal mistake. They didn't put the beer in a brown bottle. I'm not going to assume that everyone knows why this is a problem so here goes:

If beer is exposed to light for even short periods of time it will go skunky (unless it's light stable). If stored in a brown bottle it is protected for much longer. Companies that decide to put their beer in a bottle that isn't brown are either ignorant of one of the basic concepts of beer or they deliberately made the decision to risk skunky beer just so that their beer would have "cool looking green bottle". The problem is that the restaurant owners will most likely stick the beer in a glass front cooler and you end up with ruined skunky beer.

If I were to be honest about it the smell and taste rating should have been 0 but I've had the beer before and I know that it isn't really that bad. (1,055 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light golden color. Bubbles constantly rising from the bottom. White fizzy head that retains well, sheets of foamy lacing initially.

Aroma: Slightly metallic, malty sweet, faint grains.

Taste: Sweet malts up front with just a tad of a metallic tang. A mellow grain body, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and dry.

Overall: Much better than I expected. Actually kind of liked it. (429 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I just like the idea of this beer. The name, the moose and the fact that it is from the "great white north" has me proud to be Canadian. Poured from a can into my A&W mug, this beer looks inviting with its gold nugget hue and creamy white suds. Love the mountainous cap *wiping upper lip* and the tons of bubbles from the base. Time for a bubble bath, me thinks!

No skunk lurking around here, thanks God. Mmm, ...flowers, though. Hey, there's a joke in there somewhere.. skunk/flowers.

Goes down smooth. My mouthfeel's nice, I have to say. No after taste what so ever. ..."Bambi!" Yes, that's it. The skunk named Flower. ..I now rename this beer, "Bambi Brew". You heard it hear first.

As for the carbonation, it is medium according to me. Moosehead is just right. Just as right as Baby Bear's chair. Also, as sweet as his porridge. Jeez, i sound like i'm reviewing childrens' books.

I would like to suggest that the brewery add the ingredient that is put in that wine (Pinot More) to keep it from going right through you. I've been to the biffy twice since I started this review!

You get more than what you pay for, with this one. I do like this beer and I do think I'll have another! (1,191 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -34.1%

Classifying this as American Pale Lager is a bit generous. Beer Advocate has an adjunct American pilsner style, and this pretty much fits the bill for that classification. I am surprised by the generosity of some reviewers here, as Moosehead Lager pours, smells and tastes like most generic macros we've all encountered. There is very little prominent flavor , and no after taste to speak of. Drinking this brew ice cold is preferable, as the mouthfeel at least, is decent with the strong carbonation.

I know Labatt and Molson are not upscale beers with wholesome flavors, but I think both are preferable to Moosehead Lager. (625 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -3.9%

Ah, Moosehead, an independent alternative to Canada's two macro flagship lagers (Labatt Blue and Molson Canadian), and superior to both -- but is it in any way a good beer?

Poured from the trademark (and controversial) 355mL green bottle into a pint glass. Maybe it's in my head -- having spent some great years in New Brunswick, I admittedly have a soft spot for this beer -- but it glows a little golder than your average macro swill, with a sudsy head that settles into a effervescent film. Smell-wise, well, this is where the controversy kicks in: Is that slight pungency a skunkiness brought on by the verboten green bottle, or is it a slight distinguishing hop character? (I'm going to hedge and say both.) In any case, that pungency mostly disappears in the taste, which shows syrupy grains and even a slight vanilla character. It's this lingering sweetness that really distinguishes Moosehead from its macro brethren, and whether one enjoys this sweetness will likely determine whether one finds it worth picking up a stray 6-pack now and again.

I buy macro two or three times a year tops, and Moosehead (along with Labatt 50 and Molson Stock Ale, plus the even better Moose Red) remains my swill of choice. Call me a sentimental Canadian, but I'd say this is worth trying at least once. (1,299 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Moosehead is a solid beer for a warmer day. The beer poured a pale yellow with white head that left some lacing. The scent carried grain and faint alcohol. The taste was a decent balance between malt and bittering hops. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall its ok and easy to drink. (310 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Moosehead is as Canadian as hockey and pronouncing Z as zed. It's surprisingly in the same price range as the usual suspects Kokanee and Bud and Canadian, but it offers such a nicer flavour that I am surprised it doesn't have a more solid following.

The beer pours your ordinary yellow lager colour with a moderate amount of carbonation and a good thick head that lasts longer than most macros. It smells a little skunky from the green bottle, but thankfully has a great grainy aroma to go along with it. It's not the heaviest tasting lager, and has a gentle body to it, but most importantly it lacks the unpleasant adjunct flavour that so many of the macros here carry with them, and the aftertaste is a delightful bitterness that is just weak enough not to make my face cringe.

I grab a case of this from time to time, partly cause I'm a good Canadian like that, but also because it's just a simple, refreshing, but well made beer. This is one of the Canadian beers to start with if you're going to try our beer for the first time. (1,035 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a clear gold with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and sugary aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet grain flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but nothing too exciting going on here. (510 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +51.4%

Moosehead has a phenomenal taste. Easily the best beer I've ever had. It has a very pleasing feel in your mouth and is good year round. The price is decent too. I have found it for around $11.99 for a 12 pack. If you don't like this beer then something is wrong with you. (271 characters)

I enjoyed this chilled from the 12oz green bottle in a mug, review from notes.

The color is golden with crystal clarity and thin white head made up of tiny beads. Very mild aroma yet lightly grainy almost corn-like sweet ester. The feel is pretty gentle with sweetness and malt body with medium high carbonation level and slight toasted texture with semi-dry finish.

The taste is lackluster for me, malty entry with stale grain and slightly sweet cereal-like quality with low spice and mild creaminess with light smoothness of diacetyl and husky grainy taste as it finishes semi-dry. Overall I could probably find a better lager, maybe just a tad above most mass produced pale lagers...there is a mild herbal hop in this that I like (736 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served from a 341ml bottle

A: Generic pale lager color. One finger head soapy and sudsy looking.

S: Skunk. That is literally all. So potent you can smell someone opening it from 5 feet away.

T: Skunk and grain. Bitterness is low .Not completely awful but its up there. Still drinkable but not really enjoyable.

M: Crisp and refreshing on the way down. At least its got that going for it.

O: I really can't understand how this beer consistently gets decent ratings. Every single one I've ever had from a bottle has been skunky. I cannot understand green bottles. I've had it on draft and its decent then but green bottles no thank you. (639 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Clear yellow beer. Constant bubbles and a white head with small foam cap.

A- Light sweet malt smell. Plain and lacking.

T- Light sweet malt flavor, very light bitterness throughout has a creamy vanilla/phenolic aftertaste. When moderately warm the bitterness is somewhat unpleasant.

M- Light body, moderate carbonation. Somewhat watery.

D- For what it is, not bad. That said it is on the lacking side of taste and aroma. (427 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Moosehead - another Canuck beer that wasn't to inspiring.

Out of the bottle the beer was your normal, everyday looking beer. It puts w thing but white and foamy head with no staying power. Smell was typical as well. Highly car instead with a watery taste not exactly what I was expecting. Overall, I scored it a little above average because of the distinct hint of sweetness to the beer. Not sure what it was but I liked it. (425 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a bottle at Village Pourhouse in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with some golden yellow highlights and light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy white head that quickly reduces to a thin film covering a little over half the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Upfront there is a light to moderate amount of skunk aroma (likely due to the green glass bottle) but after that dissipates there is a light amount of sweet malts with a touch of grain and just a hint of floral and grassy hops.

T: The beer is light to moderately sweet with flavors of malts and a touch of grain adjuncts. There are some very light flavors of grassy and floral hops. Light amounts of bitterness that linger into the finish, along with the overall sweetness.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with a little more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of crispness.

O: Probably one of the better examples of the AAL style with slightly more flavor than I expected (and not quite as thin or watery as most). I remember as a child thinking that Moosehead was some kind of fancy import beer - man times have changed. (1,265 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this one into a mug, pours a bright golden color with a decent size fizzy white head that reduces to skim the top, carbonation bubbles shoot up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell provides a bit if skunk, as expected from a green bottle. But beyond that I pick up some sweet malt with some grain, some herbal tea, and maybe even some floral hop.

T- very light and clean on the palate, some grainy malt up front, a bit if sweetness mid-palate, and finishes dry and light with just a trace of hop.

M- body is light, with spritzy yet moderate carbonation, mouthfeel is slick and just a bit foamy.

O- this isn't my style, but its one if the better ones that I've had. It's very clean and there's not much too it. But the taste isn't off-puting like many others of the style. (782 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -28.6%

clean yellow pour, lots of visible carbonation, half a finger of head. smells bread, lots of yeast, sweet malt. damn this is almost flavorless. very subtle hint of sweet grain bill. no hops.. nothing really. ugh. light-medium in body, moderate carbonation.

this is a pretty lousy beer. don't know if it's cheap, but tastes like it should be around $3 a 6pk. (359 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Half finger of head. Lot of bubbles visible in the clear, golden body.
Smell is a little honey and grain. Faint overall.
A great taste. Sweet and bitter mix well. Good bitterness to finish.
Crisp texture, moderate carbonation.
A pretty good lager. A definite "go-to." (267 characters)

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.