Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moosehead Lager Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +42.4%

Had this on tap and in a can as well. I prefer to drink beer out of the bottle but this was good either ways.

A good beer to have in the fridge. Not expensive and all the guests seem to like it.

Good clean taste and very refreshing. Making this my common beer.

oldp0rt, Mar 03, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. Green Bottle

A: Pours a clear yellow straw color with good carbonation. Thin white head with thin lacing around glass.

S: Crisp lager with a little sweetness.

T/M: Crisp, smooth, and sharp carbonation. Taste is clean with malt sweetness and a little hop bite. The finish is very clean but with a faint funky taste.

D: Better than I expected. Clean and crisp. You can't go wrong with this cheap lager.

Cheers!

mnrider, Feb 27, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +27.6%

A - Pale yellow lager.

S - Not the best of smells. Kinda skunky.

T&M - Crisp, Citrusy, Light hops, Grainy.

D - One of the better 12-pack lagers at the markets.

I hate to see bad reviews for this. Its obviously better than Stella Artois. So the smell aint' the best, you're drinking a lager, not much characteristics in them despite what people say. This and Molson taste way better than what most people by for the fridge or a gathering. Personally I like ales for session, but i have no problem making this a go-to lager. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.

NickRivers, Feb 23, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I regularly buy the twelve packs because they are cheap and sometimes they have collectible bottle openers. This beer is your standard light and very drinkable beer. It is overcarbonated and doesn't have a whole lot of taste. It is extremely refreshing and crisp.

msfoster77, Feb 16, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -27.6%

A: bright yellow, little head disapear quickly with some lacing, high carbonation.

S: grains and corn.

T: mainly grains and corn, with a bit of lemon.

M: nothing special.

Not one of my favorites, there are many other Lagers that are very more interesting than this one.

sruel, Feb 09, 2011

From notes: Pours a light straw color, high carbonation, small white head that goes to nothing but a ring....slight grassy hop smells mingled with sweet boiled grains....sharp start, medium-light body with a clean balanced finish. Better balanced in malt sweetness and hop astringency than most commercial lagers....but still average.

CuriousMonk, Feb 08, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: : It has a yellow/clear colour to it. It has a nice white head that dies down quickly and lacing is present.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn and grainy malts with very small hints of hops.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a corn and grainy malt taste to it. I couldn't really find the hops.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a nice sweetness.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas. It's definitly a good summer beer.

SebD, Feb 04, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

A - fair yellow body, trace head, zero lacing.

S - hint of grain, mild corn.

T - sweet grain and corn

M - light body, solid carbonation.

D - One of my least favorite macro-Canadian beers. If the taste and odor weren't so below average, I could down a case in a heartbeart. If you want good Canadian macro, check out, Labatt and Molson.

BeerLover99, Jan 26, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +36.5%

decide to go out of usual beers an try one from our neighbor from the north .
poured from the bottle into pint glass
appearance straw yellow with a head that goes away very quickly with a bit of carbonation and some lacing
smell grainiy with a lemon aroma
for me this might me my go to beer for my non craft beer drinking friends.

Dodt, Jan 24, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +2%

Mixed 6 pack from Sentry in Lake Mills, WI.

A - Very pale straw color. Almost no head.

S - This beer literally smells like a skunk. Not skunky, an actual skunk.

T - Certainly tastes better than it smells. I'd compare it to a PBR or something along those lines.

M - Very light.

D - If you can get by the smell, this is a pretty easy drinking beer. I wouldn't turn down a free one, but not sure I'd buy it again. If it was a good deal, I'm sure I would.

It's not too bad of a beer. If not for the smell, I'd probably really like it.

richkrull, Jan 11, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A-Pours straw yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly.

S-Generic beer smell, musty. No hop presence.

T-Carbonated water, cereal, grainy, and slightly sweet. Once again no real hop presence, just a generic beer flavor with lots of carbonation. Drinking straight from the bottle cuts down on the sweet flavor I got when poured into a glass.

M-Carbonated and crisp.

D-Pretty drinkable since it has hardly any flavor to speak of, but at least it has no offensive flavors.

Overall, this is a pretty generic beer to me. I enjoyed the six pack I purchased and actually think it tastes better straight from the bottle. I actually liked its over carbonation, it at least made it a little different from other beers.

thegodfather2701, Jan 06, 2011

Supremely skunky brew. More flavor than Bud or Coors. Maybe skunkier because I'm down here in Texas, I like that though. I think this is darn good beer. Crisp and very enjoyable to drink, nice labeling, attractive green bottle. It reminds me of something- I think Mickey's Malt Liquor lol, maybe not. Just bought a six pack and this is the first Moosehead I've ever drank. Six packs are the dumbest invention- beer should not be sold in packaging of less than 12.

lanechaffin, Dec 31, 2010

It's winter in Florida, so I drink a Moosehead.

Pours yellow/clear with a nice white head. Not a lot of smell which could be a good thing. Most light colored lagers have a terrible smell. I like the taste of this beer. It is light and has a smooth vanilla finish. I could drink several of these. I might drink more lagers.

-Bye

jbone78, Dec 27, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

Nice and light golden color to the pour with a whispy, thin head that somehow managed to hang around for quite some time with minimal lacing. Lots of stray carbs running up to the top of the brew, seeking escape. It has a very sweet, malty, and rag weedish aroma to it, sort of skunky, but in a good way. There could be some faint hop aromas amidst the rag weed, but it is hard to differentiate. This beer smells like what I considered beer to smell like growing up as a young lad. As for the taste, the base malt profile slams your palate at first, with a slightly sweet,tangy and bready barrage to the tastebuds, followed by a hint of citrus, although very faint. As the brew makes its way down, there is a slight, short-lived hop bitterness, quickly followed by an immense amount of carbonation that brings a moderate burn to the back of the throat, with a sweet aftertaste to mellow things out. With that being said, this is a great session beer when you are looking for something with a little more body and character than your average go to cheap brew, not too much going on overall, but a solid lager in my opinion.

jsdunlop, Dec 24, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

Crystal clear straw yellow with a fizzy white cap that disappeared quickly. Floral, sulfury hop aroma with some sweet cereal grains. Low bitterness, a bit lemony in flavour with mild malt sweetness, acidic, slightly spicy. The carbonation was coarse, partly due to the light body, on the dry side. Overall though, not bad compared to other national brands.

DrJay, Dec 22, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Moosehead Lager has a medium, white, creamy head and a very clear golden appearance, with lots of carbonation streaming up. There is a decent amount of lacing left down the glass. The aroma is of some sort of roasted grain that I was unable to put my finger (or nose) on. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Moosehead Lager finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. I was glad that there was no skunkiness with this sample (green bottle). Overall, I really enjoyed this and would certainly have it again. Try it!

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Dec 14, 2010

On tap at Mike's rehearsal dinner, poured into a pint glass...Piss colored with very little carbonation...The aroma and taste are both skunk, and lots of it. I can pull a little grain and corn, but nothing good. I try to drink this and I could only drink about half of this. This is not very good or worth trying.

jrallen34, Dec 12, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +26.6%

Moosehead has long been a go to beer for outings with the guys, camping, at the lake, cabin etc. I've always felt it goes down so easy and refreshing with having enough taste to keep me from going bored. That being said, hopefully a review won't taint my overall appreciation for this beer.

Although I typically drink it straight form the bottle (I think it tastes just fine that way), I will do this appropriately. It pours a golden straw yellow, not too pale to seem unappetizing. The head was one shade off of white and had a decent frothy head with pretty good retention.

The nose is clean and has enough character to get by. Sweet graham cracker, some lemon zest, and some skunky euro lager tease the nostrils a bit. Some ripened fruit, grass, and astringent phenolic aromas surface a bit as well.

The taste is bright and refreshing. Enough flavor is present to keep it from being macro-typical. Buttery pilsner tones, lemon peel, honey, and warm wheat flavor really work together well.

The body is on the light side where it should be. It has a slight creaminess to it to keep it far away from watered down. The carbonation is very sharp but not fizzy.

After all is said and done, my opinion of this beer remains favorable. It withstood an honest beer review and will remain a mainstay in my fridge. It really has no flaws, unlike several beers of it's genre. Excellent for sessioning, slamming, or enjoying. Easily available and modestly priced, this really is a decent beer.

climax, Dec 03, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +5.3%

a- typical pale yellow appearance with a rapidly forming head
s- smells a little corny and malt sweet with a touch of hops
t- a little citrus, corn and sweet malt
m- thin mouthfeel
d- probably my favorite adjunt lager if that means anything, perfect for getting hammered

wallaceandvomit, Nov 29, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

The pour offers a translucent, pale golden brew, with a one finger white head. It has a low visible carbonation, and laces the glass nicely. The aroma seems a bit stale, and remains dominated by strong, clean malts, with a sour affect. The taste is simple, with malts, and what seems to be a significant addition of corn to the grain bill. It moves through the mouth quickly, with little time for any dynamism. It is not overly carbonated and neither coats nor satiates the mouth. Being light bodied, with little strength to the flavor, it is an easy drinking beer.

Overall, this is a clean and simple beer. It lacks anything inherently complex, but then again, it is undoubtedly designed to be a straightforward, laid back brew.

TheBrewo, Nov 20, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +21.7%

Overall a pretty boring beer but keeping the style in mind, this is a solid brew. Slightly above average but the taste is a little better.

As to be expected, this beer pours yellow with a white head, retention cold be better though. Still a nice film remains throughout the drink with ok lacing. Smells of malts and some citrus hops, both are pretty neutral and compliment each other. Before I was as educated on beer styles, to me this was like a high quality Labatt. The malts try to be sweet but the hops keep them down a bit in a good, not overpowering way. There is a definate crisp, bitterness in the finish of this beer that I have grown to love. A perfect beer for camping and fishing in Canada and this one is dear to me. In general, I dislike this style of beer but I can make an exception for Moosehead, well done.

Sachsenfreude, Nov 13, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -13.5%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass oct21 2010

A straw yellow with a shit load of bubbles and a thumbs width of thick head that had good retention too my surprise and left some patches of lace

S sweet grains and some faint hops

T some lemon and skunk, not awful but not good

M thin and well carbonated, what I expect from this style

D I can finish one but would get board quickly

better then most big Canadian beers but that's not saying much

wordemupg, Oct 22, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

This lager produced a half finger head which faded quickly to a island of light covering and slight lacing. Rating a 5 on the SRM chart, this beer is crystal clear with small bubble action. Smell is a light aroma of corn, and wheat with a hint of lime peel. Sort of a straw and corn taste with a light hop finish, nothing special, but not a bad assault on my taste buds. Suitable feeling of fullness and smoothness in my mouth, but just a little bite on the back of my upper palate. This lager goes down well enough to have a six at an yard event, but I would go past it to buy some better on the local beer aisle.

beerprovedwright, Oct 19, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

I rank this beer with Beck's and Carlsberg: skunky. This is a very good version of that style flavor. Though Moosehead seems not to be highly favored here, neither is it disliked overall. I think it's a good drinkable beer that looks and smells nice. It tastes just fine, so long as you know it has a little funky kick to it. I've always liked it - a good thirst quencher.

angusdegraosta, Oct 14, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +2%

Overall Average Beer, Decent head with strong lacing and heavy carbonation. a little bit too much for my liking. kinda tasting alcohol and some sort of sour hop taste.maybe a bit of lemon? I feel like theres nothing overly special about this beer. carbonation very heavy. looks good but tastes pretty average.

A380, Oct 10, 2010
Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.