Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moosehead Lager Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

A - fair yellow body, trace head, zero lacing.

S - hint of grain, mild corn.

T - sweet grain and corn

M - light body, solid carbonation.

D - One of my least favorite macro-Canadian beers. If the taste and odor weren't so below average, I could down a case in a heartbeart. If you want good Canadian macro, check out, Labatt and Molson.

4.15/5  rDev +36.5%

decide to go out of usual beers an try one from our neighbor from the north .
poured from the bottle into pint glass
appearance straw yellow with a head that goes away very quickly with a bit of carbonation and some lacing
smell grainiy with a lemon aroma
for me this might me my go to beer for my non craft beer drinking friends.

3.1/5  rDev +2%

Mixed 6 pack from Sentry in Lake Mills, WI.

A - Very pale straw color. Almost no head.

S - This beer literally smells like a skunk. Not skunky, an actual skunk.

T - Certainly tastes better than it smells. I'd compare it to a PBR or something along those lines.

M - Very light.

D - If you can get by the smell, this is a pretty easy drinking beer. I wouldn't turn down a free one, but not sure I'd buy it again. If it was a good deal, I'm sure I would.

It's not too bad of a beer. If not for the smell, I'd probably really like it.

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A-Pours straw yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly.

S-Generic beer smell, musty. No hop presence.

T-Carbonated water, cereal, grainy, and slightly sweet. Once again no real hop presence, just a generic beer flavor with lots of carbonation. Drinking straight from the bottle cuts down on the sweet flavor I got when poured into a glass.

M-Carbonated and crisp.

D-Pretty drinkable since it has hardly any flavor to speak of, but at least it has no offensive flavors.

Overall, this is a pretty generic beer to me. I enjoyed the six pack I purchased and actually think it tastes better straight from the bottle. I actually liked its over carbonation, it at least made it a little different from other beers.

Supremely skunky brew. More flavor than Bud or Coors. Maybe skunkier because I'm down here in Texas, I like that though. I think this is darn good beer. Crisp and very enjoyable to drink, nice labeling, attractive green bottle. It reminds me of something- I think Mickey's Malt Liquor lol, maybe not. Just bought a six pack and this is the first Moosehead I've ever drank. Six packs are the dumbest invention- beer should not be sold in packaging of less than 12.

It's winter in Florida, so I drink a Moosehead.

Pours yellow/clear with a nice white head. Not a lot of smell which could be a good thing. Most light colored lagers have a terrible smell. I like the taste of this beer. It is light and has a smooth vanilla finish. I could drink several of these. I might drink more lagers.

-Bye

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

Nice and light golden color to the pour with a whispy, thin head that somehow managed to hang around for quite some time with minimal lacing. Lots of stray carbs running up to the top of the brew, seeking escape. It has a very sweet, malty, and rag weedish aroma to it, sort of skunky, but in a good way. There could be some faint hop aromas amidst the rag weed, but it is hard to differentiate. This beer smells like what I considered beer to smell like growing up as a young lad. As for the taste, the base malt profile slams your palate at first, with a slightly sweet,tangy and bready barrage to the tastebuds, followed by a hint of citrus, although very faint. As the brew makes its way down, there is a slight, short-lived hop bitterness, quickly followed by an immense amount of carbonation that brings a moderate burn to the back of the throat, with a sweet aftertaste to mellow things out. With that being said, this is a great session beer when you are looking for something with a little more body and character than your average go to cheap brew, not too much going on overall, but a solid lager in my opinion.

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

Crystal clear straw yellow with a fizzy white cap that disappeared quickly. Floral, sulfury hop aroma with some sweet cereal grains. Low bitterness, a bit lemony in flavour with mild malt sweetness, acidic, slightly spicy. The carbonation was coarse, partly due to the light body, on the dry side. Overall though, not bad compared to other national brands.

3.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Moosehead Lager has a medium, white, creamy head and a very clear golden appearance, with lots of carbonation streaming up. There is a decent amount of lacing left down the glass. The aroma is of some sort of roasted grain that I was unable to put my finger (or nose) on. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Moosehead Lager finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. I was glad that there was no skunkiness with this sample (green bottle). Overall, I really enjoyed this and would certainly have it again. Try it!

RJT

On tap at Mike's rehearsal dinner, poured into a pint glass...Piss colored with very little carbonation...The aroma and taste are both skunk, and lots of it. I can pull a little grain and corn, but nothing good. I try to drink this and I could only drink about half of this. This is not very good or worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev +26.6%

Moosehead has long been a go to beer for outings with the guys, camping, at the lake, cabin etc. I've always felt it goes down so easy and refreshing with having enough taste to keep me from going bored. That being said, hopefully a review won't taint my overall appreciation for this beer.

Although I typically drink it straight form the bottle (I think it tastes just fine that way), I will do this appropriately. It pours a golden straw yellow, not too pale to seem unappetizing. The head was one shade off of white and had a decent frothy head with pretty good retention.

The nose is clean and has enough character to get by. Sweet graham cracker, some lemon zest, and some skunky euro lager tease the nostrils a bit. Some ripened fruit, grass, and astringent phenolic aromas surface a bit as well.

The taste is bright and refreshing. Enough flavor is present to keep it from being macro-typical. Buttery pilsner tones, lemon peel, honey, and warm wheat flavor really work together well.

The body is on the light side where it should be. It has a slight creaminess to it to keep it far away from watered down. The carbonation is very sharp but not fizzy.

After all is said and done, my opinion of this beer remains favorable. It withstood an honest beer review and will remain a mainstay in my fridge. It really has no flaws, unlike several beers of it's genre. Excellent for sessioning, slamming, or enjoying. Easily available and modestly priced, this really is a decent beer.

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%

a- typical pale yellow appearance with a rapidly forming head
s- smells a little corny and malt sweet with a touch of hops
t- a little citrus, corn and sweet malt
m- thin mouthfeel
d- probably my favorite adjunt lager if that means anything, perfect for getting hammered

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

The pour offers a translucent, pale golden brew, with a one finger white head. It has a low visible carbonation, and laces the glass nicely. The aroma seems a bit stale, and remains dominated by strong, clean malts, with a sour affect. The taste is simple, with malts, and what seems to be a significant addition of corn to the grain bill. It moves through the mouth quickly, with little time for any dynamism. It is not overly carbonated and neither coats nor satiates the mouth. Being light bodied, with little strength to the flavor, it is an easy drinking beer.

Overall, this is a clean and simple beer. It lacks anything inherently complex, but then again, it is undoubtedly designed to be a straightforward, laid back brew.

3.7/5  rDev +21.7%

Overall a pretty boring beer but keeping the style in mind, this is a solid brew. Slightly above average but the taste is a little better.

As to be expected, this beer pours yellow with a white head, retention cold be better though. Still a nice film remains throughout the drink with ok lacing. Smells of malts and some citrus hops, both are pretty neutral and compliment each other. Before I was as educated on beer styles, to me this was like a high quality Labatt. The malts try to be sweet but the hops keep them down a bit in a good, not overpowering way. There is a definate crisp, bitterness in the finish of this beer that I have grown to love. A perfect beer for camping and fishing in Canada and this one is dear to me. In general, I dislike this style of beer but I can make an exception for Moosehead, well done.

2.63/5  rDev -13.5%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass oct21 2010

A straw yellow with a shit load of bubbles and a thumbs width of thick head that had good retention too my surprise and left some patches of lace

S sweet grains and some faint hops

T some lemon and skunk, not awful but not good

M thin and well carbonated, what I expect from this style

D I can finish one but would get board quickly

better then most big Canadian beers but that's not saying much

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

This lager produced a half finger head which faded quickly to a island of light covering and slight lacing. Rating a 5 on the SRM chart, this beer is crystal clear with small bubble action. Smell is a light aroma of corn, and wheat with a hint of lime peel. Sort of a straw and corn taste with a light hop finish, nothing special, but not a bad assault on my taste buds. Suitable feeling of fullness and smoothness in my mouth, but just a little bite on the back of my upper palate. This lager goes down well enough to have a six at an yard event, but I would go past it to buy some better on the local beer aisle.

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

I rank this beer with Beck's and Carlsberg: skunky. This is a very good version of that style flavor. Though Moosehead seems not to be highly favored here, neither is it disliked overall. I think it's a good drinkable beer that looks and smells nice. It tastes just fine, so long as you know it has a little funky kick to it. I've always liked it - a good thirst quencher.

3.1/5  rDev +2%

Overall Average Beer, Decent head with strong lacing and heavy carbonation. a little bit too much for my liking. kinda tasting alcohol and some sort of sour hop taste.maybe a bit of lemon? I feel like theres nothing overly special about this beer. carbonation very heavy. looks good but tastes pretty average.

3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that leaves some spotty lacing behind

S - Is of sweet grainy malt with some corn

T - Follows the nose with sweet grainy malt and corn

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - Overall this is an average lager nothing special but easy to drink while watching football on a Sunday afternoon

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Straw yellow with fluffy 2 finger head..(Poured Hard) settled to a nice layer with very good lacing.. Surprisingly good looking.

S: Very lemony smelling... maybe a little corny grain mixed in.

T: Very much like it smells, lemon with a hint of hoppy bitterness.... touch of corny grain in the aftertaste.

M: Crisp, and clean light to mid bodied.. good carbonation.

D: Pretty low ABV & refreshing make it pretty damn drinkable, but.... There are other beers out the very much like this.... Not a bad little beer, been years since I had it...

3.78/5  rDev +24.3%

A - Pours a 2 and a 1/2 to 3 finger, foamy, white head that quickly dissipates. But does leave some lacing. Color is a light gold. Very effervensent.

S - Slightly skunky (probably due to the green bottle. Aroma is rather mild, with mostly grains in the nose.

T - Slightly slightly skunky, but other than than that very clean and crisp. No oily taste like most macro lagers tend to have. Mostly grains up front, with a noticeable slight hop finish.

M - Light to medium body. Carbonation seems to stick around throughout the duration of drinking of this beer.

D - Extremely high. Very drinkable and sessionable. The average beer drinker should have no problem drinking this.

Final Thoughts: Would reccommend. For a "green bottle" beer this is one of the best I've had. In comparison to other lagers I've had, this ranks more positively than not.

3.93/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells a bit of hops and some wet grain...nothing too complex.

Taste is initially very crisp, with hops and aggressive carbonation hitting upfront. The body of the beer has a bright malt taste to it, ending in a finish that has a definitely grain sweetness and husk on it.

Of the Canadian macros, this is one of the best. It's fairly flavorful, and easy drinking.

2.98/5  rDev -2%

Moosehead... Canada's oldest independent brewery. Poured into a shaker pint from the Limited Edition (#2 in the series) slim can with a profile of a hiker / backpacker.

A: Pale straw gold. Super clear with a fizzy, two-finger white head that dies down to a thin, patchy layer of foam. Looks like your typical American macro.

S: Light grains and malts. Sweet. Some hop crispness.

T: Very sweet malt bill, but there are some nicer bready notes toward the finish. Average hop bite is there to provide some bitterness on the finish.

M: Light and crisp, with pretty high carbonation.

D: Although not the most enjoyable or exciting lager, I suppose it is fairly drinkable.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Very clear, golden color. The head starts very thick, and even as it recedes, it maintains a decent consistency. Light lacing around the edges of the glass. Good carbonation. Just what I'd expect from a lager of its class.

Smell: Hmm...not a whole lot to say here. Malty, but not heavy. Trace of hops, and though its not an adjunct, there's a slight corny scent to it. I've heard light-colored bottles can cause a beer to become skunky...could this be what I am experiencing?

Taste: Just right for what it is, but not for me. Definitely tastes a little skunked. I'd have to have it from the tap to be sure though. Maltiness is so-so, but the hop flavor is pretty decent.

Mouthfeel: One of the better qualities of the beer. Light, clean, crisp, refreshing. It washes over the palate without much resistance, and goes down without leaving a noticeable aftertaste/feeling. Very good.

Drinkability: Definitely a good beer for bar food; fried mushrooms, chicken wings, etc. The light, pleasant quality of the beer makes it ideal for washing down rich, greasy foods.

I like this beer, and would probably recommend it based on the name alone...however, it's not going to be on any top-ten lists for me any time soon. Just so-so.

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a beer glass fairly stiffly. Clear and straw yellow with no head, just the fizzy stuff you expect from a macro such as this and wait, what's that? LACING? On a macro? Nice. Aromas are corn and a bit of vegetal, while the body is thin and watery with a bit of corn and bread flavour that lingers decently. The taste really surprises me as having something more than I would have otherwise expected... Finishes cleanly, a nice drinkable macro lager.

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.