Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moosehead Lager Alström Bros
TastyTaste

3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

One of the best examples of the best Canadian macros out there (eat your heart out, Labatt and Molson). This is a crisp, clean and very drinkable beer. Color is crystal clear gold, moderate head. Smell is cereal grain and malt, slightly grassy. Clean, and no off flavors. No Unibroue, but still one of my favorite Canadian Lagers.

05-03-2005 20:54:37 | More by TastyTaste
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours with a two-finger white head that fades quickly leaving traces of lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Slight hoppy/skunky nose. Starts with a mix of hops and sweetness, finish is clean, better than American lagers. $1.50 for a 12oz green bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

04-26-2005 23:17:00 | More by jdhilt
karst

2.53/5  rDev -16.8%

8 13 3 lazer printed on green 12 oz bottle above atractive label. From my last trip to to Corall liquors in Granite City, Ill. Found it lurking behind a few cases of Little Yeomans.

Unpleasant aroma - maybe lightstruck. Carbonation level helps mouthfeel which helps stand this out from Macro lagers. Recomend you try it from the tap. Its hops and their bitter finish help and this sweet tasting Lager does not loose much if any of its drinkability as it warms up.

Pair with moose head soup, boiled moose nose, moose tongue sandwich.

04-22-2005 00:23:48 | More by karst
Pepeton

Mexico

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

Since some two years to now this Canadian lager is easy to find in my city, Monterrey, México.
Quite cheap for an imported beer, so you can find it in most Sunday barbecues. Some fellows steer away from it because of it's price: If it's cheap, it must be bad.

Yellow and clear color, some head and lacing, too.
Grainy smell, with hops and some mild roasted maltiness.
Taste is crisp, hoppy and more bitter than most macro lagers.
Stingy due to it's carbonation, but not bad at all.
Ice cold you can have plenty.

¡Salud!

04-21-2005 02:59:13 | More by Pepeton
Luigi

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%

Pale yellow color with a white lace for a head. Smells grainy with some sweet malts and clean mild hops. Taste like grains and sweet malts. A clean hop background and a clean finish. A good amount of carbonation and a meduim light body. All around tasty easy to drink lager.

04-08-2005 04:50:25 | More by Luigi
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

1.95/5  rDev -35.9%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle, 5.0% ABV

Appearance: Golden straw color with some carbonation. Average.

Smell: SKUNK. More stinky and you hit a skunk. TOTALLY AWFUL.

Taste: Some drinkers won't trade their Moosehead for anything else, but lots of others drinkers avoid it. I am one of them. I never really liked its taste, but I wanted to give it another chance for this review. Wrong idea. The taste is also skunky.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and fun, but the taste is not very good. So, it reduces your mouthfeel quality.

Drinkability: Not really drinkable. Some bottles might be ok, but it is usally crap you will get with this brand. It's sad, but I don't know why. If I am in the Maritimes, I will rather drink Alexander Keith's or Alpine. Moosehead sounds better to me for its hockey team rather than its premium beer.

03-31-2005 00:13:15 | More by Barraclou
ski271

1.18/5  rDev -61.2%

Holy skunk, Batman! Usually the first thing I comment on id the appearance, but I didn’t even get it out of the bottle before this NASTY wave of skunk hit me. Didn’t get any better when I pour it into the glass. Let’s let it sit for a bit and see if the stink subsides a bit. It’s a pale gold brew with a small, white, rapidly diminishing, fizzy head. OK, the stink did go away a bit, but it’s still not pleasing. Now I can pick up a corny, grainy, adjunct smell with a little floral hop to it. Taste is vegetable-like, with a skunk kick. Even my belch is skunky. This is just wrong, and it’s going down the drain. I remember back in the day, I used to like this stuff. Maybe it’s a bad bottle, but looking at the past few reviews, I’m thinking it’s just a crappy beer. Avoid.

03-27-2005 20:22:27 | More by ski271
Shultzerdugen

2.03/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured a clear light straw with a small white head with no staying power to speak of.

As soon as this beer was opened the skunkiness was all over the room. Underneath said light struck character was a faint tinge of sweet malts.

Flavor is also strongly skunked, sweet almost corny malts and a strong bitterness in the finish.

This is one of the worst samples I've tried of Moosehead. I'll re-review this beer from a case or twelve pack that hasn't been light struck, as it's not usually this skunky.

03-20-2005 19:19:41 | More by Shultzerdugen
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.25/5  rDev -26%

Crystal clear pale maize with accents the color of butter (not gaudy margarine yellow, but pale butter yellow). The head is airy and semi-stiff, but still looks like it has more substance than the average mass-produced lager. The cap lingers at a fat one finger for a bit with one undulating ring of lace just above the surface of the beer.

There was a big blast of skunk on top popping that, although it's much less noticeable now, hasn't completely faded. I doubt that this bottle is truly skunked though, even with the green glass. It's anything but an enticing aroma and is weak enough that it can be easily ignored.

I drank my share of Moosehead back in the day and this Moosehead doesn't taste like I remember. Little wonder since it's been 15+ years and 700+ beers ago. I preferred Labatt Blue back then because I always found The Moose to be too bitter. Well, this beer is anything but. It doesn't have enough flavor to be bitter.

Light, weak flavor is carried on a light, weak body. There's some slight hoppiness I guess, but the IBUs have to be in the single digits. Again, it isn't assertive enough to have a bad flavor, and is, in that sense at least, drinkable. This is one of the weakest non-light beers that I've ever consumed.

Why is this Canadian-brewed beer an *American* all-malt lager and not an adjunct lager? (note: the 'adjunct lager' style has since been changed to 'macro lager'). Moosehead Breweries Ltd. may not have used adjuncts, but perhaps they should have. At least then, there'd be some flavor. Better yet, add more ingredients and give us some beer with our beer.

Moosehead Lager is an unoffensive rehydrater. Hey, at least I didn't make any moose <liquid waste product> references.

03-04-2005 00:41:17 | More by BuckeyeNation
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.45/5  rDev +13.5%

First off I must start by stating I hate green bottles and therefore usually do not like beer in green bottles. However...I like Moosehead, unfortunately I can only purchase it in 12-packs, which also tends to lead me to drink too many. Review is from note for this reason.

Appearance: Yeah, its like a macro, carbonated, clear, thin head that dies quickly.

Smell: Slightly more than a typical American macro. Slightly grainy, yet a hint of malt and something else. Also no skunky aroma.

Taste: Malt tease on the tongue, followed by a little hop-like bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel: A little light in bodied, well carbonated.

Drinkability: No problem putting these away, and I'll likely purchase again sometime in the future.

02-16-2005 04:41:46 | More by BigRedN
ggroller

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%

I'm not a fan of this one but I do drink it from time to time when visiting my parents. The two I had last night were probably about the best Moosehead I ever tasted. No skunkiness, a nice white bubbly head, pale straw color, and crisp carbonation. The taste and mouthfeel are lacking, though, making this a real quick drink. I plowed through two in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for the beer, Pop.

01-17-2005 12:47:16 | More by ggroller
GClarkage

2.23/5  rDev -26.6%

12/09/04- Purchased at my local Safeway in San Mateo, CA

Appearance- Pours with a medium size large bubbly head which is gone almost immediately. Medium yellow color lager, leaves nil lacing.

Smell- A bit sweet grain scent. Smells a tad skunky.

Taste- Yeah, has that definite skunky taste. Very reminecent of Heineken. Lots of sweetness common in lagers, but the skunky taste ruins it for me.

Mouthfeel- Nice carbonation level, but can't get over that taste wafting through my mouth.

Drinkability- Nope, sorry, it was all I could do to finish the bottle. I'll pass on these in the future.

12-09-2004 04:22:01 | More by GClarkage
sabrills70

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

Reviewing this as an American Macro Lager. Pours a crystal clear gold with a 1 1/2 finger head. The head did hang around for 3 or 4 minutes and left a very thin head with ok lace. Smells of a typical macro, some malt with some bitternes mixed with a bit of rice and corn. As far as taste it has a bit more flavor than the average. A sweet malt finished by some mild hop bitternes. Some rice and corn notes come through as well. Finishes a bit dry. As far as typical macros, this one is better than the average, but there are still better choices out there (Upper Canada Lager comes to mind). A good beer to always have available due to its drinkability.

10-31-2004 03:13:45 | More by sabrills70
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

1.7/5  rDev -44.1%

Feh. Skunky and foul smelling. Not a real turn on.

Pours up like apple juice, just a few bubbles, no real head to speak of. Actually no real film to speak of either. Just a couple of wisps and part of a ring around the glass. Pretty pathetic.

Watery, slightly sweet. Can't identify any of those things you might expect to find in a beer.

Give it a pass. The rest of this one goes down the sink.

10-06-2004 01:25:42 | More by TerryW
acrawf6

Louisiana

2.42/5  rDev -20.4%

I tried this beer for the second time last night (being from new orleans moosehead isn't really a beer worth getting other than trying it out). from a bottle i poured out a light golden beer with little head. The aroma smelled extremely grainy and very potent. My friend could smell it from across the room as another thought it smelled like cereal. The taste was very typical lager flavor, a little more grainy than others i thought. Average body for a lager, nothing to get worked up on. Wasn't a bad beer just not all that good and i probably won't have one for a long while since i thought there wasn't anything special in this one.

09-22-2004 00:16:28 | More by acrawf6
sardonic

Manitoba (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

I don't know why, but I've never had a good experience with Moosehead in cans, in bottles it's your typical North American macro lager but better. I've almost come to order them by default in places with limited selection...I've never noticed the skunk thing that others have mentioned. If you find any Moosehead cans with Spanish on them outside of Mexico, the police in New Brunswick are looking for several thousand.

09-11-2004 10:35:39 | More by sardonic
soper2000

2.65/5  rDev -12.8%

This was one of my first beers outside the BMC ring, albeit it's not much different. Although I assume that i'll always have a little soft spot for the moose. Definately won't be purchasing in bulk anytime soon but a bottle every 6 months or so brings back some memories. Pours a super light straw color with a head consisting of rather large bubbles and the air is filled with that skunked funk (which I actually don't mind that much). Taste is very similiar to american macros, but there is a little little little (can't emphasize this enough) taste of some hoppiness. Mouthfeel is very light. Despite the blandness of this beer, I don't really mind it. But I don't see why I always seemed to purchase this in times past.

09-08-2004 01:04:06 | More by soper2000
Rio

Kansas

1.93/5  rDev -36.5%

I usually type these out in order, appearance first and whatnot, but I've gotta start with smell on this one. As soon as I popped the cap, I just got this rush of having just run over a skunk that was crossing the road (and, yes, I know what this smells like). A skunk with those sulfur farts. I plan to pick up another bottle, to see if maybe this one just went bad in it's green bottle, but this is where the review stands now.

Color is an off-golden color, a bit too dark for golden, though. Very short-lived head. Skunky, sulfuric aroma, as described above.

This one definitelly won't wreck the pallate. I can taste some hops in there, but very little, and that's the whole flavor. Crisp and clean on the pallate, as well, but a bit too watery.

Very drinkable, if you can get past the smell.

09-07-2004 04:50:12 | More by Rio
elmocoso

2.83/5  rDev -6.9%

whispy, white head. Soon thina nd blue. Light gold body with quite active carbination. A refreshing nose, but quite vacatn: adjuncty and malty - what is there. In ta glass, this beer seems a lot sweeter than in the bottle, which is too sweet. Long and sweet finish with a slight carb sting on the back of the tongue. lingering cloyness. mouthfeel is pretty creamy and good, but is should have kept this in the bottle.

08-04-2004 01:17:08 | More by elmocoso
shirfan

3.1/5  rDev +2%

Pours medium golden; head burns off after a minute or two.

Aroma is of light lager malt, with a slightly damp grassy note.

Taste is nothing special; typical american lager without getting very adjuncty. Mild mannered malt, slightly chewy mouthfeel, a hint of perfumy hops.

A good beer to drink if you don't want to be challenged in any form.. neither flavorful nor off-putting, but more drinkable than the typical macro.

07-29-2004 02:13:39 | More by shirfan
Gusler

Arizona

2.38/5  rDev -21.7%

While I was picking up a few beers the other day like Molson and a few other I’ve not tried in years, I also picked up a “Moosehead”

The beer pours from the 12 ounce green bottle a translucent gold with a bountiful bright white head that is spumescent in texture and the residual lace a velum like sheet to coat the glass. Nose is malt, somewhat fresh, Moosehead always at the first sniff smell like its skunked, but does seem to smooth out after a few minutes. Start is sweet and fair to middling in the malt arena, top is skimpy in its feel upon the palate, finish is benignly acidic, and the hops apropos to the style, most likely will be another 4 years before I try this or the others again.

07-23-2004 22:21:15 | More by Gusler
Dmann

2.53/5  rDev -16.8%

This beer was ok but something about it did not really agree with me. It poured your standard macro lager color with a bit of a white frothy head that faded quick but left decent lace on my glass. The smell was overly sweet with malt and grain. The flavor was way too sweet and had little to no bitterness to balance it out. The grain flavors snuck in as well but the overly sweet flavor dominated too much. Not recommended at all.

07-08-2004 10:45:49 | More by Dmann
brewQ

2.85/5  rDev -6.3%

It appears the color is a shade beyond the US macros to dark gold. A disappearing head and a cloud of skunky smell are this brew's signature. ( I've had Moosehead without the skunk so I tend to believe that they do not have control- with the green bottles and all).

The taste is grainy and light. Disappointing. Back in the late '70's Canadian brew was seen as a step up from domestics... my nostalgia is quickly destroyed.

A watery mouthfeel finsih but it is oddly quaffable on this hot summer night.

07-08-2004 01:42:29 | More by brewQ
watermelonman

2.65/5  rDev -12.8%

This sits as a light gold with a minimal head and it's leaving no lacing.

The smell is peppery and kind of off at that. Malts and grains are apparent in the front of the taste. The hops are pretty subdued here. The mouthfeel is light but not too shabby.

It's very plain, but at least it remains tolerable.

06-27-2004 18:28:44 | More by watermelonman
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

2.28/5  rDev -25%

This was a pale yellow beer with a short head that dissipated rather quickly.

The aroma was of bitter aromatic hops, but it was rather skunky. That was disappointing, and it colored the tasting experience as well.

It tasted lightly bitter and slightly sweet, but what I got most was a high degree of carbonation. There really wasn't much depth to it.

I remembered this beer being better than this, but that was quite some time ago. I suppose that my tastes have changed as I have sampled more varieties.

06-25-2004 02:21:01 | More by connecticutpoet
Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.