James Ready 5.5 - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

James Ready 5.5James Ready 5.5

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

American Blonde Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bestuurder on 07-31-2005)
View: Beers (23) |  Events

05-02-2013 13:38:54 | More by chadmbogo
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.98/5  rDev +6.8%

341ml Bottle: BBD 31 Jul 2013. Drank in my Berlin hotel room on 25 Feb 2013 (don't ask!).

It's a Lager: clear golden, bright and clean looking, usual white head.

Grainy nose and taste: typical International Lager/Pilsner without any interesting or different attributes to the thousands of others out there.

Nothing wrong with it: just your usual, unusual Lager/Pilsner. Had I known it was a Moosehead beer I wouldn't have bought it.

03-05-2013 07:43:05 | More by BlackHaddock
SandS

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

12-02-2012 18:11:15 | More by SandS
featthebeard79beerhead

No lengthy review typical macro brew overall excellent for the price bargain brew with some taste not as bland or watery as typical cheap brew great in between beer drink a few nice IPA or your choice fill the gap with jr sure we all love beer but let's face the facts we would not drink non alcoholic. JR is above average bargain brew nice carbonation decent taste and easy on wallet. Nothing special nothing offensive good cheap brew period.

10-19-2012 03:04:15 | More by featthebeard79beerhead
Wordslinger

05-05-2012 09:36:17 | More by Wordslinger
traumaqueen

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

04-03-2012 06:40:55 | More by traumaqueen
thehyperduck

2.65/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Tallboy can from the LCBO; packaged November 2011.

Pours a pale golden-yellow, topped with about one finger of smooth, white head. It's mostly gone within a minute or two, leaving behind a thin, foamy cap and decent quantities of lacing. It's hard to pick anything individually out of the aroma, except maybe the corn syrup. Other than that, 'grainy' is the only word I can confidently use here. To be blunt - it smells like cheap beer.

The taste isn't exactly good, but at the same time it's a far cry from undrinkable. Worth noting however, the flavour is a bit stronger than in most typical adjunct lagers. Dominated by light, grainy malts alongside sweet, corny adjunct notes that become more prominent in the finish. There aren't really any distinguishable hop characteristics; just some vague bitterness that mingles with the syrupy sweetness in the finish (but not enough to balance it). JR's carbonation level is through the roof; I have been drinking it for years and it always makes me feel bloated and belchy. Thin body, with a watery mouthfeel.

This is a beer that I consumed far too much of during university, and it definitely wasn't because I appreciated the nuances of its taste. It has two selling points: it is dirt cheap, and it is .5% stronger than most other dirt cheap beers. I will still pick up a six-pack occasionally if I am drinking socially and want to cough up as little money as possible, but if price is not a relevant concern for you then the value of this brand is questionable at best.

Final Grade: 2.65, about a C- on the letter grade scale. Looking for something cheap and tolerable that will get you hammered a bit faster than other value beers? Look no further. If you are looking for a quality blonde ale (or even adjunct lager) though, your quest will not end here.

Serving type: can

01-16-2012 04:50:25 | More by thehyperduck
kelvarnsen

01-03-2012 15:41:35 | More by kelvarnsen
doctorbfunk

4.43/5  rDev +58.8%

Appearance: Light yellow colour with an average size head, slight lacing visible for a short period of time.

Smell: Smells like light grain, certainly not offensive as compared to similar priced beers, even though it was served less than cold.

Taste: Has a sweet taste, highly carbonated and very enjoyable. No distinguishable after taste. An easy drinking beer that also tastes good and very refreshing in my opinion.

A, I don't understand the negative reviews for this beer. People, this beer is $28 for 24. It is the greatest bargin going right now at The Beer Store, not even mentioning the 'bonus' .5% alcohol content. I'm not saying its the worlds greatest beer, but the price/performance ratio can not be beat. Why spend $40+ on the main brands when you can get a superior tasting substitute at a fraction of the cost. Also, for a "session" (binge) drinking beer this goes down smooth. In fact I have enjoyed quite a number before posting this review and I have zero complaints. Give it a chance. A++++ would drink again.

12-17-2011 02:30:16 | More by doctorbfunk
spinrsx

2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

473ml Can

Appearance – Clear light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, corn, skunk/solvent/metallic

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste bread mixed with light floral hops and some corn. As well I can taste something along of the lines of medicine or solvent.. not pleasant. It finishes with a grainy corn syrup sweet aftertaste.

Overall – I was always curious about this beer. I've seen people buying cases of the stuff countless times, so I figured it was worth a try. I guess it's cheap.. and some people like it.. but I don't.

Serving type: can

09-15-2011 16:32:08 | More by spinrsx
MattyV

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Have had this sitting in the back of the fridge all summer so figured I'd finally review it.

Pours a pale straw yellow with about 2 fingers of foamy white head that doesn't last long and leaves little in the way of lacing

Smells of grains, pale malt, hints of sweet corn which instensifies as the beer warms slightly. I'm starting to think this is least offensive drank "sub-zero" like some other quality adjunct lagers out there...

This beer has a sweet and grainy taste with the adjuncts still pretty evident. I might be detecting a hint of hops as well, but I'm probably reaching.

Highly carbonated and is actually relatively refreshing and inoffensive on this warm summer evening. Not something I'd ever buy myself, but there's alot of much worse discount adjunct lagers out there

08-14-2010 03:45:10 | More by MattyV
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color lager with a large bubbly pure white head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light adjunct and residual sugar. Taste is bland though adjunct do not overtake too much from the taste. Body is quite light with good carbonation. Not bad for the style though not something I will seek out again - too bland for my taste.

06-22-2010 02:43:32 | More by Phyl21ca
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

James Ready pours a light golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a moment or two. The aroma is light and grainy, with some sweetness. The flavor is crisp and a bit sweet, more graininess pops up and some cooked corn. The finish is dry, but not as thin as I anticipated.

02-21-2010 05:28:57 | More by ericj551
Moontang

1.6/5  rDev -42.7%

I have had more bottles of this stuff than I'd care to count, mostly because it's often the only free beer available at school events. Here's the breakdown.

Appearance:
I've only ever drunk it straight from the bottle, and as such, I am not certain whether the appearance appeals to me or doesn't. From what I can tell through the bottle and some of the times I or others with me have spilled it, it is on the light side of medium, I would say a bit darker than most lagers. Foams up with big bubbles, and doesn't leave much of a fine lacing pattern behind. The head is a bit resilient, and it takes a bit of time and tapping the bottle for me to get at the beer itself.

Smell:
The smell is unremarkable, just mildly acrid and acidic, with no sign of any grain flavour.

Taste:
This is where the beer really fails, as it is incredibly hoppy in front, with an unpleasant sting I feel all over my body, and it does not redeem itself with its aftertaste, which is weak at best and far too fizzy most of the time

Mouthfeel:
It feels like I'm drinking a very fizzy soda, but I'm usually distracted by that godafwul taste to notice what it feels like.

Drinkability:
The taste sinks it, and the only reason it doesn't get a 1 flat here is that it has a decent alcohol content for a cheap beer, and it doesn't cost a lot for the distance it gets me to bombed.

06-03-2009 20:01:26 | More by Moontang
biegaman

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

The lightest possible shade of straw - even champagne pales by comparison, hell probably some mineral waters too! The beer is perfectly transparent with a (literal) water-like complexion. The only thing giving it away would be an anemically thin tarp of white that subsists and leaves vague prints of lace. If this beer is even half as light drinking as it is looking than I understand the mainstream appeal already!

The aroma steers clear of being offensive but not by much. I keep thinking I can detect a hint of musty hops in there somewhere but the problem is they're so far buried under so many buckets of heavy, industrialized corn syrup that I'm beginning to hate myself for even looking. Clearly, people must drink this straight from the bottle.

The flavour I can make no defense for - it's darn near close to awful. For a beer this light coloured I'm surprised it could be so heavy in anything, including the cloying, artificial notes of corn syrup and 'who knows what' that sets in seconds after the swallow. Not only do I recommend drinking it from the bottle but I also recommend drinking it very, very cold.

Actually, I don't recommend drinking this at all. Beer should be enjoyed and - all relativity aside - there is nothing enjoyable about this. I understand we all drink according to our own tastes and so take my words as being subjective if you'd like, but I've tried this a number of times now and it does not fit my definition of a true beer in any way. This is considered a "value brand" in the province of Ontario; I can't find anything of value about it.

03-03-2009 01:58:11 | More by biegaman
EatsTacos

Yukon (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev +12.9%

Ok James Ready 5.5 my neighbour loves this beer and offers it to me on the regular.

Appearance and smell are both pretty bad, typical for a common micro

The taste has more going on than I would expect for this price. I can actually detect some hops and there is a nice balance with the malt. Taken for what this is, not bad.

Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated with a medium body which makes for a pretty refreshing beer in the summer.

I definately prefer this to Blue and Canadian

10-06-2008 16:15:41 | More by EatsTacos
funkengruven

3.38/5  rDev +21.1%

This one poured a pretty average yellow lager with some lace on top, nothing out of the ordinary for a macro lager, Smell is much the same, adjuncts and a faint hint of hops and malt. Taste isn't that bad, reminds me a little of Moosehead. Adjuncts are definitely present but not disgusting, no nasty aromas of skunk or rotting cabbage or anything of the sort. It goes down rather smooth and is actually surprisingly easy to drink.

As far as Macros go, this one isn't bad. As a value brand this one is pretty good. I'd likely have another of these again in the future.

05-20-2007 21:31:18 | More by funkengruven
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
James Ready 5.5 from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.