Moosehead Light Lime - Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead Light LimeMoosehead Light Lime

poor

Moosehead Breweries Ltd. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-23-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.93/5  rDev +91.8%

Having drank many of those light lime beers that have become the craze, I feel that I am qualified to review Moose Light Lime. MLL has a better appearance than those other beers because it is a bit darker. The smell is not too "limey", with just a hint of skunk at the end (in a good way). It is definitely the best tasting of all of the lime lights, with just the perfect blend of beer and lime. Other beers take the lime too far, where MLL adds just enough for flavor. Overall, this is my favorite beer, so I guess you could say I'm a little biased, but you really need to try it if you haven't already.

Lithium341, Sep 25, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +77%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

With 4% ABV, this 100% natural lime flavored beer takes refreshing to a whole new level!
Compared to bud light lime and miller chill, it has the right amount of lime taste to it without being overpowering.
Good balance with a clean finish.
Great summer beer.

Syl, Sep 18, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +73.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is as good as it gets when it comes to lime beers. Moosehead has always put out a solid product, and I have to say that this was the best of their's that I have ever had. I've been consuming it for years and am upset that it has been discontinued (at least in this part of the US).

The taste is crisp and clean. An excellent summer beer. The lime taste is poignant without being overpowering. I think it's unfair to judge this beer along the likes of Gordon's (G'Knight) or Stormking Stout.

It's not a beer that's bold. It isn't trying to be bold. It's a good beer most people will never try and it stands head and shoulders above the lime beers from the major American breweries.

Dysenteryaki, Aug 01, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +36.2%

OK, so this isn't exactly a beer lover's dream, but for that occasional deck party in the summer when you know some of your friends are expecting a Bud Light Lime (or equivalent), this is a very pleasant (and better tasting) alternative. Nice gold in the glass with the expected bubbly carbonation. Lime in the nose. Taste is, yes, lime with a touch better malt flavor than I expected. The trademark Moosehead hops bitterness is present in the end, but the expected green bottle skunk is completely absent. Thus a nice surprise all the way around. And at least I didn't have to put BLL in my cooler.

tugdriver7, Jun 20, 2010

mmsimmons, Dec 06, 2012

Tarale9, Aug 08, 2014
3.48/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another beer from Woody. Thanks again!

-Appearance 3.0: Poured out a light golden straw color. Nice head for a light beer: at least an inch. Head stuck around in light swirls on top.

-Smell 3.5: Wow, very nice! Lots of lime peel and grain in the bouquet. No hint of the adjuncts or metal found in most American light beers.

-Taste 3.5: Cool liquid up front with a barley middle and lots of lime and barley in the finish. Aftertaste of lime peel. I am shocked and surprised, but I actually LIKE THIS. Again, no hint of adjuncts or metal in the taste.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Better than average mouth feel especially for a light beer. Carbonation is medium and easy drinking.

-Overall 3.5: I must be losing my mind. I can't believe how much I am enjoying this PRE-FLAVORED LIGHT BEER! This beer is easy-drinking, satisfying and thirst quenching. I am going to be searching high and low to buy a case or two of this brew this summer. Surprising and recommended.

BeerDocT, Mar 02, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +28.4%

A: Pours a clear light yellow with a fingers worth of white head. Settles to a fizzy cap and left a couple specs of lace.

S: Sweet limes for the aroma.

T: It starts off grainy and finishes with the lime. The lime isn't extremely strong.

M: Medium fizzy carbonation with a light body.

D: This is probably the best lime beer out there. Lime isn't the only thing you taste. You actually get a beer taste compared to other lime beers that you think you're drinking a soda. This is a good beer for a hot summer day.

marty21, Jan 31, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +24.5%

Is it any surprise that upon its release Moosehead Light Lime became their best selling beer? I'm guessing not.

It reminds me right off the bat of Bud Light Lime, and its predecessor Miller Chill. This is closer to Bud Light Lime, so I'll make my comparisons there.

They look about the same. It's a good looking glass of beer, but as usual, the head retention and lacing could be a bit better.

It smells like lime. Bright and sugary lime. It's stronger than it is in Bud Light Lime. Of course the label reads "100% NATURAL LIME FLAVOR" but we all know that it takes more chemicals to extract a "natural" flavor than it does to just create an "artificial" one, so who cares? And, while we're at it, it's just lime flavor - it doesn't have the tartness that goes with real lime juice.

The flavor offers quite a bit of lime as well, mainly in the front; and the malt is very basic (of course we knew that before we even began). It's balanced with a low-level bitterness, and I'm not sure they could even make it any bitter with the lime in there - it just wouldn't work. And I think if you drink this ice cold it probably tastes a lot better.

So where does that leave us? Pretty much right where we expected we'd be. It's a light beer with lime flavoring. It's supposed to be refreshing, not complex; and it's at least balanced. It's probably great for summer sporting events and backyard BBQ's. Overall: not bad.

NeroFiddled, Jul 01, 2011

Moose Light Lime.

A - Straw yellow, tad deeper yellow than most light beers. Large bubble soda-pop head starts large but dies off quick. Very little lacing.

S - Citrus-Sour Lime, Soda Water, very faint hints of hops and grains but obscured by Lime. Not much smell other than lime.

T - Sour Lime and Soda water, touch of bitterness to the mid-back of the tongue. Faint hints of cereal grains like oats present on front of tongue and corn in aftertaste. Small amount of hop bitterness detected in finish.

M - Clean and Crisp when cold. Watery, light carbonation. Goes down smooth.

D - My Favorite of the Lime beers, good for the style but the style in general is a mediocre beer. Past experience for me shows this is a fantastic beer for a hot summers day or something to relax with. I like this much better than regular Moose Light.

maddmaxstar, May 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +24.5%

In yet another instance of my utter dedication to The CANQuest (TM) I bought a case of these CANs recently, so if you trade with me expect to see one of these Slim Line CANs coming your way. Interestingly, Slim Lines may be the wave of the future, according to the Ball Corporation website. I like their look so it would not put me off to have the switch-over take place.

From the CAN: "Proudly Independent"; "Premium Light Beer With 100% Natural Lime Flavor".

The Crack & Glug produced barely a finger of bone-white head with extremely limited retention. However, I did get some lacing as a CANsolation prize, so all was not lost. Color was a pale, light-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of squeezing a lime into a Corona, which I did at one time in my less-discerning years. It left no doubt that it was lime-infused. The mouthfeel was sparkly, very effevescent with a burst of lime flavor on the tongue. It would be more appropriate on a hot summer day, but it was still nicely refreshing.

woodychandler, Oct 30, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sweet limes. Taste is also of limes, not very sweet, very little else going on. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre beer.

tone77, Jun 13, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Ok well I give this variation of moosehead an average across the board. First, I enjoy this much more than a budlight lime, and still do. However, moosehead did great at not overloading this beer with that awful artificial lime flavoring, and made it very subtle in this beer. What makes it average is that the subtleness makes it plain. However its redeeming quality would be that it holds on to that original "moosehead" flavor that I love, and doesn't drown it in lime.

I got a sample of 2 of these in cans when I bought the regular moosehead lager, so I cant judge the appearance of it. But I do believe it would taste better out of a bottle than a can.

Overall, good job moosehead on entering the "lime infused beer" game.

NaLoGra, May 22, 2011

jcubz, Jul 17, 2013

Muleshark, Jul 23, 2013

Vogt52, Jun 11, 2014

oriolesfan4, May 26, 2013

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsener glass.

Look - pale straw color, clear, with about half a finger's worth of off-white foam that dissipates quickly. Good carbonation.

Smell - Not surprisingly a very strong lime aroma. Beyond that nothing else is discernible.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Again, a very strong lime flavor and not much else. Basically and adjunct lager type of taste but not really tasted due to the high dose of lime. Texture is also not surprisingly more watery..although not the most watery that I've tried.

Drinkability - easy to drink, but not at all complex or interesting.

Nerudamann, Feb 23, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +16%

This beer pours a bright straw color; not much head. The smell was a bit skunkey. The taste is of course light, but more flavorfull then other light beers, and the lime flavors mix well, and help bring out the lager like flavors. Easy to drink, but the weak flavors quickly leave the palete. Overall a subpar beer, but as for as light beers go this is a much better one.

vette2006c5r, Mar 19, 2011
2.93/5  rDev +14%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance clear yellow with a head that goes away quickly
smell lime with a hint of malt
taste and mouth feel solid lime taste with a clean finish
out of the three lime beers i h ave had this one was a pleasant surprise its a good beer for a bbq.

Dodt, Jul 14, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Clear straw with a wispy white head. Nose is lime and an odd not-quite-skunk that clears out to a lemon-lime soda. Somewhat dry, liminess with a bit of bread and hint of mineral water. Overall, very light flavour that's reminiscent of those vitamin waters, but with some fizz.

allergictomacros, Oct 27, 2009
2.78/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Clear watery golden tint

Head: Big white frosty head that dissipates quite quickly

Smell: Grass with some skunk on the nose and a little lime

Taste: Light grass with a powerful lime

Weight: Light with medium carbonation

Finish: Light after flavors of lime

Snow81, Apr 02, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +8.2%

As much as I enjoy regular Moosehead I found this one to be too far from the original. The beer pours out as a typical yellow color with a thin fizzy head on it. The aromas of lager funk and citrus on the nose here. The taste is much like drinking a 7-Up but not quite as sweet. The other flavors are a little too light to notice really. The mouthfeel is like a soda. It's got a sharp bubbly tingle to it and it's as light as water. Overall I'd rather have the original Moosehead.

Knapp85, May 13, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +7%

MJ63, Jul 04, 2014
2.63/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

It was super hot out today so I thought i'd walk down to my neighbourhood store and pick up some light beer - just wasn't in the mood for something strong. This is one of the first beers I ever had so I thought I'd get it for nostalgia's sake.

Anyway, it's your standard light lime lager. However, I think this one is better than BL Lime or Miller Chill and WAY better than Big Rock Lime. It's still a pretty sub-par beer, but when it's over 25 degrees out, you need something lighter, and this one really hits the spot. It's good a nice lime taste with a good beeriness to it as well. I dig the green bottle. Still watery as hell but I totally knew what I was getting myself into. When I compare this to other beers of the same style (light lime lagers), this one is superior to many others.

Olek4374, May 13, 2013
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Moosehead Light Lime from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.