Sap Sucker - Fernie Brewing Co.

Sap SuckerSap Sucker

good

Fernie Brewing Co. visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BDTyre on 12-20-2010

Since it set off on its maiden voyage from the brewery back early December 2010 - perfect timing for December festivities and those thirsty needs that generally accompany the season of good will, it hasn't stopped. Our deliciously dark & robust Porter, with a delicate but flavourful touch of maple syrup. Favoured by the educated craft beer drinker, looking for a uniquely rich & flavourful product, it’s popular with consumers, beer bloggers & judges!
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1.45/5  rDev -60.8%

I'm sorry Fernie, but I must have gotten a rotten one.
That bottle I had drooled over as I pulled it from my stocking on Christmas morning left me weeping bitter tears of shock and disappointment.

It poured up beautifully, very dark with three fingers of creamy, long lingering head.

The smell was a bit weak, brown sugar and a slight ethereal off note.

The taste was unexpected. Once again I must have hit a bad bottle because the first faint hits of anything resembling mapley sweetness or even of a porter were quickly obliterated by a screaming wall of sourness.
"Do I spit or do I swallow? "
The question asked by thousands of college girls rolled around in my mind briefly before I involuntarily gulped it down. Can I get a "That's what she said?"

The lingering after taste was reminiscent of vomit long gone.

I will probably try again, just to see what it actually tastes like but I have to admit to being a little gun shy now.

Assuming that this really was a bad bottle, I wasn't even going to review it, but Fernie quality control should know, dammit!

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

3.04/5  rDev -17.8%

650ml bottle into snifter

A - pours very dark brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head, dissipated quickly leaving a few chunks with a thin ring

S - roasted malts, some caramel and brown sugar

T - sweet, roasted malts, brown sugar, nutty, some cocoa, some caramel with an increased sweetness, i do get some of the maple syrup near the end but it is very tame

M - medium body, medium carbonation, creamy

O - I am a bit disappointed compared to what i was expecting. I found the maple syrup aroma and flavor very weak and just barely noticeable making it an average (yet a bit sweeter) porter

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Why don't we have more maple beers? Now, I'm sure I won't like this one as much as Whislter's Chai Maple Ale, but it looks pretty good. Super dark with an inch of cocoa-coloured head. Aroma of cocoa, and only a hint of maple. Damn, I was hoping for more.

More importantly, how does it taste? Sweet, kind of smokey, nice roasted flavours, cocoa, sweet coffee... but I'm barely picking up any maple. Still, it's an enjoyable porter. If I want a beer that tastes like maple, I guess I'll stick to Whistler. Too bad it's not available all the time.

Very smooth. Easy to drink.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Back to the good stuff after my trip to the United States. Maybe it's just the stores I visited, but the beer selection is really, really awful. I wanted to go for something very Canadian, and what's a more Canadian thing to put in your beer than maple syrup? There is none. (by the way, it's fucking hard to find maple syrup in the US, the Denny's I went to didn't even have any even for a fee. Pity.

Well, the beer pours a tremendous head. I wasn't even pouring down the middle and I ended up with 4 full fingers of light brown head. The beer itself is pitch black - a very typical pour for a porter, but damn this one was especially foamy. After I topped it up when the head settled, it looked like an ice cream float - no joke. It's really neat.

I'm not getting much maple smell from the beer, which is a big letdown because I was really expecting it. It smells of strong coffee, much like any other porter. If you take a REALLY deep inhale you pick up some maple, but it is very faint at best.

The taste is where this beer hits a home run. The first thing I get is the coffee taste - but it really isn't overpowering. I've had some porters that just tasted like coffee and nothing else, but this one goes a lot deeper. There's a little bit of tartness to it that is really pleasant on the tongue - as if somebody squeezed some lemon juice into it. Not expected, but very nice. I must say that for a maple porter (especially one that lists maple syrup as an ingredient), there is nearly no maple taste to be found. This is bad for a flavoured beer when it doesn't taste like what is says, but when you just look at this as a straight-up porter, it is very tasty.

The feel is great, it is smooth as water going down with a lot of nice texture on the tongue and a smooth carbonation that doesn't itch your throat.

I'm curious to sample the Cannery Brewing maple stout that my store also carries, and see how it stands up to this. As it stands though, this is a very tasty beer.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fernie Brewing's 'Sap Sucker' @ 5.5% , an American Porter served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $6

A-pour is dark brown with some ruby red highlights along the glass edge which holds a good sized off white/tan head leaving a spotty lace in the pint glass

S-smells of burnt/smoked maple syrup

T-sweet tasting burnt/smoked maple syrup

MF-medium carbonation , medium body , tad thin , super sweet on the palate

Ov-one & done

prost LampertLand

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

3.33/5  rDev -10%

This was the first maple flavoured beer I can ever recall trying, and I only tried it last night.

I was disappointed.

Oh, the beer is delicious - all the rich, dark flavours I love in a porter/stout are here. No qualms with me. What I didn't like was how I couldn't define the maple flavours that should be the most notable here. I could smell them, but I couldn't really taste any...and on that fact alone is why I dropped the "taste" category, because to me, it didn't match what was advertised.

That said, it's delicious for all the other reasons you love a porter, at least for me, so I would have it again. I just don't expect it to fill me if I'm lookin' for a maple fix.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Bomber poured a clear dark reddish brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of roasted malt, milk chocolate, light maple, light carmel and a hint of vanilla. Palate was medium bodie and smooth. Flavors of roasted malt, maple, cocoa and light carmel with a smooth lingering maple finish.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Sap Sucker from Fernie Brewing Co.