Sap Sucker - Fernie Brewing Co.

Sap SuckerSap Sucker

Fernie Brewing Co. visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

Since it set off on its maiden voyage from the brewery back early December 2010 - perfect timing for December festivities and those thirsty needs that generally accompany the season of good will, it hasn't stopped. Our deliciously dark & robust Porter, with a delicate but flavourful touch of maple syrup. Favoured by the educated craft beer drinker, looking for a uniquely rich & flavourful product, it’s popular with consumers, beer bloggers & judges!

(Beer added by: BDTyre on 12-20-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

3.04/5  rDev -19.1%

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

This was the first maple flavoured beer I can ever recall trying, and I only tried it last night.

I was disappointed.

Oh, the beer is delicious - all the rich, dark flavours I love in a porter/stout are here. No qualms with me. What I didn't like was how I couldn't define the maple flavours that should be the most notable here. I could smell them, but I couldn't really taste any...and on that fact alone is why I dropped the "taste" category, because to me, it didn't match what was advertised.

That said, it's delicious for all the other reasons you love a porter, at least for me, so I would have it again. I just don't expect it to fill me if I'm lookin' for a maple fix.

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

650ml bottle into snifter

A - pours very dark brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head, dissipated quickly leaving a few chunks with a thin ring

S - roasted malts, some caramel and brown sugar

T - sweet, roasted malts, brown sugar, nutty, some cocoa, some caramel with an increased sweetness, i do get some of the maple syrup near the end but it is very tame

M - medium body, medium carbonation, creamy

O - I am a bit disappointed compared to what i was expecting. I found the maple syrup aroma and flavor very weak and just barely noticeable making it an average (yet a bit sweeter) porter

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fernie Brewing's 'Sap Sucker' @ 5.5% , an American Porter served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $6

A-pour is dark brown with some ruby red highlights along the glass edge which holds a good sized off white/tan head leaving a spotty lace in the pint glass

S-smells of burnt/smoked maple syrup

T-sweet tasting burnt/smoked maple syrup

MF-medium carbonation , medium body , tad thin , super sweet on the palate

Ov-one & done

prost LampertLand

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Part of a gift from my aunt that my brother brought back on a recent trip to their place in Surrey.

Poured from a 650ml. bottle.

Appearance: Pours a cola brown with some deep cherry-red hues. Good sized ecru head that has some good lacing on it.

Smell: Maple sugar, dark syrup as it warms but that's pretty much it. The aroma hovers around and is a bit hard to grasp.

Taste: Underlying maple syrup. At first, a slight metallic tinge. Not really sweet. It's got a bit more maple as it warms but still find it a bit lacking.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth & creamy with just enough carbonation. Body is full but loses a bit as it warms.

Overall: Maple is there but carries a slight bitterness as opposed to being sweet. I'm on the fence with this one. I love my maple syrup and to me, this one didn't quite measure up.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Pour is a deep dark brown with red tinges. 2 fingers of a khaki colored head that drops a respectable amount of lace.

S- Roasted malt, brown sugar and molasses. The maple syrup is faint, but comes out the more it warms. Also some espresso in the mix.

T- I'd like this to be a little more robust. Follows the nose pretty good, but with some milk chocolate as well. There's some bitterness but it's got a nice clean finish.

M- A little thin for the style, but seems fitting with the milder flavors. Carbonation is low-medium, it manages to remain smooth.

O- I enjoyed this one, I'm not huge on maple syrup but it really added a nice touch.

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Why don't we have more maple beers? Now, I'm sure I won't like this one as much as Whislter's Chai Maple Ale, but it looks pretty good. Super dark with an inch of cocoa-coloured head. Aroma of cocoa, and only a hint of maple. Damn, I was hoping for more.

More importantly, how does it taste? Sweet, kind of smokey, nice roasted flavours, cocoa, sweet coffee... but I'm barely picking up any maple. Still, it's an enjoyable porter. If I want a beer that tastes like maple, I guess I'll stick to Whistler. Too bad it's not available all the time.

Very smooth. Easy to drink.

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

It's not that long ago that maple syrup expensive around here, but now they're making beer out of it!

A: Black with a light tan head, good retention, excellent lacing.

S: Dark roasted coffee, roasted nut, brown sugar, hints of maple syrup.

T: This is a good robust porter, with some maple flavour. Very well done, plenty of flavour, and it works... but I'm not sure it's for me. Roasted coffee; very dark, almost burnt caramel; roasted nut; treacle; woody; hint of maple; good bitterness.

M: Well-attenuated, moderately full body has a light acidity.

D: A decent drinker.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had several Fernie beers before but for whatever reason I've never reviewed them.

Dark brown-ruby appearance with a thin, creamy tan head. As with all maple-based beers I've had, there is a slightly sour presence to it despite the maple sweetness. The malts balances out the sournesss.

Good sweet maple taste. Malts, caramel and a hint of coffee. Slight;y sour aftertaste. I figure this is from the maple; though this is probably one of the better maple beers I've had in terms of flavour.

Decent mouthfeel, maybe a bit on the thin side. A nice, sweet dessert beer and one to be sipped.

Laughing as I purchased this...what's next...Tim Horton's Coffee Beer...

Nice and Dark...light has it's work cut out here to penetrate the blackness..Nice rich tan head, gobs of lacing..

I get more mocha coffee than maple, but there is a slight overhanging sweetness to the aroma.

Mocha coffee defintitely leads the pack, some slight sourness followed by a rather large blast of maple sugar sweetneess. There's enough bitterness from hops to keep it interesting and one dimensional.

Decent body for a porter, carbonation is well done

A bit on the sweet side, But still the best effort grom this brewer by far.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Cheers again to joemcgrath27 for hooking me up with this from his BC haul.

A - Pours almost opaque with a dark, dark ruby red hue, finger of soapy mocha head with decent retention and some fine sticky mocha lacing.

S - Dark cocoa, sweet maple syrop, burnt sugar, and touch of espresso on the finish. Very delicious on the nose.

T - Very tasty maple porter. Sweet maple syrop and burnt sugar with dark cocoa and milk chocolate that linger on the finish with a touch of espresso. The maple flavour is not as strong as Cannery's offering, but is still detectable. Nice chocolate and espresso malts on this one, keeping true to the porter style. A light leafy hops flavour also peaks through as it warms.

M - Nice medium bodied ale that goes down smooth, though finishes a little too dry with a bit of a chalky feel.

D - Overall a very tasty porter. Not quite as flavourful as Cannery's Maple Porter, but the porter flavours on this one are nicely complemented by a hint of maple. Worthy offering to any porter fan, and I'm glad I was able to try this one.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Sap Sucker from Fernie Brewing Co.