Sap Sucker - Fernie Brewing Co.

Sap SuckerSap Sucker

Fernie Brewing Co. visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

Since it set off on its maiden voyage from the brewery back early December 2010 - perfect timing for December festivities and those thirsty needs that generally accompany the season of good will, it hasn't stopped. Our deliciously dark & robust Porter, with a delicate but flavourful touch of maple syrup. Favoured by the educated craft beer drinker, looking for a uniquely rich & flavourful product, it’s popular with consumers, beer bloggers & judges!

(Beer added by: BDTyre on 12-20-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

3.04/5  rDev -19.1%

650ml bottle into snifter

A - pours very dark brown with a 1/2 finger of creamy brown head, dissipated quickly leaving a few chunks with a thin ring

S - roasted malts, some caramel and brown sugar

T - sweet, roasted malts, brown sugar, nutty, some cocoa, some caramel with an increased sweetness, i do get some of the maple syrup near the end but it is very tame

M - medium body, medium carbonation, creamy

O - I am a bit disappointed compared to what i was expecting. I found the maple syrup aroma and flavor very weak and just barely noticeable making it an average (yet a bit sweeter) porter

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Why don't we have more maple beers? Now, I'm sure I won't like this one as much as Whislter's Chai Maple Ale, but it looks pretty good. Super dark with an inch of cocoa-coloured head. Aroma of cocoa, and only a hint of maple. Damn, I was hoping for more.

More importantly, how does it taste? Sweet, kind of smokey, nice roasted flavours, cocoa, sweet coffee... but I'm barely picking up any maple. Still, it's an enjoyable porter. If I want a beer that tastes like maple, I guess I'll stick to Whistler. Too bad it's not available all the time.

Very smooth. Easy to drink.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Back to the good stuff after my trip to the United States. Maybe it's just the stores I visited, but the beer selection is really, really awful. I wanted to go for something very Canadian, and what's a more Canadian thing to put in your beer than maple syrup? There is none. (by the way, it's fucking hard to find maple syrup in the US, the Denny's I went to didn't even have any even for a fee. Pity.

Well, the beer pours a tremendous head. I wasn't even pouring down the middle and I ended up with 4 full fingers of light brown head. The beer itself is pitch black - a very typical pour for a porter, but damn this one was especially foamy. After I topped it up when the head settled, it looked like an ice cream float - no joke. It's really neat.

I'm not getting much maple smell from the beer, which is a big letdown because I was really expecting it. It smells of strong coffee, much like any other porter. If you take a REALLY deep inhale you pick up some maple, but it is very faint at best.

The taste is where this beer hits a home run. The first thing I get is the coffee taste - but it really isn't overpowering. I've had some porters that just tasted like coffee and nothing else, but this one goes a lot deeper. There's a little bit of tartness to it that is really pleasant on the tongue - as if somebody squeezed some lemon juice into it. Not expected, but very nice. I must say that for a maple porter (especially one that lists maple syrup as an ingredient), there is nearly no maple taste to be found. This is bad for a flavoured beer when it doesn't taste like what is says, but when you just look at this as a straight-up porter, it is very tasty.

The feel is great, it is smooth as water going down with a lot of nice texture on the tongue and a smooth carbonation that doesn't itch your throat.

I'm curious to sample the Cannery Brewing maple stout that my store also carries, and see how it stands up to this. As it stands though, this is a very tasty beer.

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fernie Brewing's 'Sap Sucker' @ 5.5% , an American Porter served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $6

A-pour is dark brown with some ruby red highlights along the glass edge which holds a good sized off white/tan head leaving a spotty lace in the pint glass

S-smells of burnt/smoked maple syrup

T-sweet tasting burnt/smoked maple syrup

MF-medium carbonation , medium body , tad thin , super sweet on the palate

Ov-one & done

prost LampertLand

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

This was the first maple flavoured beer I can ever recall trying, and I only tried it last night.

I was disappointed.

Oh, the beer is delicious - all the rich, dark flavours I love in a porter/stout are here. No qualms with me. What I didn't like was how I couldn't define the maple flavours that should be the most notable here. I could smell them, but I couldn't really taste any...and on that fact alone is why I dropped the "taste" category, because to me, it didn't match what was advertised.

That said, it's delicious for all the other reasons you love a porter, at least for me, so I would have it again. I just don't expect it to fill me if I'm lookin' for a maple fix.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Bomber poured a clear dark reddish brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of roasted malt, milk chocolate, light maple, light carmel and a hint of vanilla. Palate was medium bodie and smooth. Flavors of roasted malt, maple, cocoa and light carmel with a smooth lingering maple finish.

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Part of a gift from my aunt that my brother brought back on a recent trip to their place in Surrey.

Poured from a 650ml. bottle.

Appearance: Pours a cola brown with some deep cherry-red hues. Good sized ecru head that has some good lacing on it.

Smell: Maple sugar, dark syrup as it warms but that's pretty much it. The aroma hovers around and is a bit hard to grasp.

Taste: Underlying maple syrup. At first, a slight metallic tinge. Not really sweet. It's got a bit more maple as it warms but still find it a bit lacking.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth & creamy with just enough carbonation. Body is full but loses a bit as it warms.

Overall: Maple is there but carries a slight bitterness as opposed to being sweet. I'm on the fence with this one. I love my maple syrup and to me, this one didn't quite measure up.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Black appearance with a reddish tinge to it and thick brown head that slowly settles down. This reminds me of a root beer float. Excellent lacing. Smell is very sweet with a hint of roasted nuts and coffee.

Maple syrup is very evident in the taste, picked up brown sugar, coffee, caramel and roasted nuts. Very dark and flavorful taste overall. Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter with a lingering syrupy taste.

Very tasty and sweet porter, maple syrup porter is as good as it sounds and has my list of favorite porters. Highly recommend.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Sap Sucker from Fernie Brewing Co.