Jade (Biere Biologique) - Brasserie Castelain

Jade (Biere Biologique)Jade (Biere Biologique)

good

Brasserie Castelain visit their website
France

Belgian Pale Ale |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-07-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
bditty187

Nebraska

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Clear, gold in hue, it looks like cider. Minimal animation. The head was white in color; at the apex the foam was only a half finger in height. Head retention was poor; it faded quickly to a soapy cap, thicker around the edges, shortly after this the head was gone. Naked is ugly for beer. There was no subsequent lacing, bummer. I must say the appearance is very ordinary and, honestly, disappointing. Oh well. The nose is lightly musty with spicy wood undertones. Cider-like apple vibes with kisses of pears and even some white grapes. Moldy. Funky. I must be downwind from a barn. It smells Belgian but I am unclear as to the exact direction this beer wants to take. The maltiness is not very pronounced, just some breadiness, the hops don’t say much or anything with clarity anyway. The potency is low but it says enough for me to want to take a sip. Still, I’m hardly impressed by the nose. The label says “French Country Ale,” which to me is a Bière de Garde, however there is nothing about the look, smell, or taste that validates that label. Plus the abv is low. Okay, so BA lists it as a Belgian Pale Ale, I can buy that. With that said, this beer is still very ordinary. The palate is mild with dry apples and a woody, spiced candy undertone. Pears are in the mix, dry white wine finish. I like that. Mild hop bitterness, some light funk is in play. Crackers. Yeasty. The finish is crisp and I think it would work very well with cheese, something mildly funky or even an assortment of fruit. Really this beer is quite sessionable. I like that too. Overall, this beer tastes good, it is nothing special but I like it. Sometimes simplicity works. Medium/medium-light in body but it is fitting, the carbonation is a bit low for me but it doesn’t hurt the mouthfeel enough for me to downgrade it. Pleasant. On a side note, the first I ever heard of this beer was at the Dundee Dell in Omaha, they wanted $18 for a 750ml bottle. I passed. I then bought one in Kansas City, MO for $7 out of spite (this is where this sample came from). If I would have paid $18 for such an average beer I would have been quite mad. I guess that is why I rarely go to the Dell, damn their high prices! Well, this beer is decent. I might buy it again if I see it on sale or something. I could drink a few bottles in a night (if the mood was right). Solid.

04-06-2005 02:13:31 | More by bditty187
Bighuge

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Chill hazed golden appearance with a slight bubbly white head. Aroma is a compilation of must, yeast and fruit. Very subtle tastes in this one. Very light fruity sensations. A little bitterness (hop attributed I believe). Dry finish. Must and sourdough come to mind as well. The body is light and slightly airy. Quaffable, if not the most tasty, session beer.

06-23-2003 20:49:57 | More by Bighuge
allengarvin

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

750 ml bottle. Found a small date on the back '7/10/2005'. I hope that's the bottling date, not the good-before. Cork pops out with little fizz. Pours pout a clear, limpid gold with no head at all, no foam. Ripe, tart fruitiness in the aroma, with some citrusy hops. Somewhat toasty malt taste at first, moderate hops, medium-fruity esters. Suffers some oxydation. Nearly flat body.

Disappointing beer. Nothing special at all.

03-14-2006 01:19:49 | More by allengarvin
StJamesGate

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%

Pale gold with a steady snowy carpet that fades fast. Wet grain sack and flower nectar nose - a bit sickly sweet.
Flinty grain, soup nuts and a bit of salt, a bready yeast hit and grassy hops with some white pepper if I concentrate hard and a tingly dry finish.
Crisp, light, slightest chew.

25ml bottle.

Is this a pale ale or a lager? And lots of reviews saying farmhouse/saison. So now I'm confused...

Sharp and quenching, no foul notes. But not getting any saison tastes at all, other than Belgian yeast. Nothing special, organic or not.

01-15-2012 00:48:25 | More by StJamesGate
horndecker

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a dull golden into a Chimay goblet. A fine head, highly carbonated at first, bright white and sudsy, which disipates rather quickly.
The aroma is of apples and grapefruit and very little else. Is it just a bit too cold for more than that?
The taste is more tart than expected and quite a bit like a watery gueuze. I wonder if I somehow got a bad bottle, but I think this is what its meant to be, since there's plenty of carbonation and no skunky aftertaste.
It's quite light-bodied with that tart grapefruit attack and a sour apples/lambic character.
An interesting bottle, but not something I would come back to. A bit one-dimensional. The nose never did develop, and neither did the taste.

11-14-2004 00:31:30 | More by horndecker
donnebaby

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Creamy head falls flat in moments, leaving only a ring. Clear, normal-looking gold color body. Smell is sweet malts all the way. Light.

Taste is similarly sweet malts, very basic, refreshing taste. Notes of apples and caramel. A little watery. Light, light hops. Something metallic in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a bit sharp, with very strong carbonation and light body. Seems very drinkable though, to find a positive point. It's also organic, which is cool.

06-25-2004 11:23:16 | More by donnebaby
atis

Finland

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours with large white and champagne like fizzy head that is gone almost instantly. Aroma is sweetish malt, vegetables.

Taste is sweetish malt, spicy floral hops bite, bits of citrus fruit that are present also in the sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium, moderate carbonation.

Fairly drinkable, but very boring.

10-05-2011 15:24:44 | More by atis
Gusler

Arizona

A somewhat hazy golden yellow color on the pour, the head “Average” In size, structure is frothy, the color off white and the lace left behind is a fine sheet to conceal the glass. Nose is dominated by malt, lightly sweet, fresh and clean, start is sweet malt, the top cadaverous. Finish is lightly acidic, the hops sparse in their bite, dry as a bone aftertaste, drinkable, but certainly nothing to write home about, “Average”, nothing more, nothing less.

05-15-2003 16:58:03 | More by Gusler
brc

2.9/5  rDev -21.8%

Best May 2010. Poured into tulip.

Golden / straw color, quite clear. Small white head settles reasonably quickly and leaves a little lacing.

At first there is an aroma of spicy hops. After the head settles it's the smell of pilsner malt with a touch of apples.

Fairly sweet taste, quite similar to apple juice. A bit of bitterness and spice hops in the finish, but not much.

Mouthfeel is medium for a pale ale, a bit too flat.

Drinkable, but boring.

05-25-2009 12:10:37 | More by brc
malmquna

France

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Label has changed as mentioned before, along with the ABV.

Bubbly, thick, just off-white head settles over a clear lightly golden liquid. Good staying power on the head, with some lace on the glass. Smells fresh, grassy, a little yeast.

Initially a little buttery, in a good, non-rancid way. I would swear there was a little wheat in here, but the label mentions nothing but 'organic malt'. Still a nice, fresh flavor, perhaps very subtle clove or cardamom undertone. A pleasant, mild bitterness lasts through the clean finish.

Mouthfeel is full but fresh and clean. This is fairly drinkable, but probably better with some food: fish & chips, pizza, something spicy. I won't be reaching out for this every time I see it, but I would buy it again.

02-27-2010 20:26:03 | More by malmquna
Dogbrick

2.33/5  rDev -37.2%

Organic is a good way to describe this beer. My bottle was slightly skunked but luckily it did not carry over to the taste. Cloudy yellow with a medium head. Earthy, crushed berry flavor that didn't do too much for me. Now I can say I have tried a French beer.

10-14-2002 13:11:40 | More by Dogbrick