St. Amand - Brasserie Castelain

Bière de Garde |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-23-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

I'm not sure if my bottle was old, or what, but I picked up some very different things than the other reviewers. The nose was very pleasant, with hints of fruit, coriander and lots of sherry. The taste reminded me of a Flanders Red Ale that I have had, except that the flavor was only about 1/3 as strong. There were other flavors in there as well: maltiness, maybe the slightest hint of saaz, and the classic Belgian esters. This beer was fantastic, and if it was a fluke, it would be too bad. I'll try it again if I ever run across it. (537 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%

This is the first brew i've tasted from Brasserie Castelain and i enjoyed it a great deal. It poured a hazy dark ruby in color with a off white rocky head that faded to a thick ring. A crisp clean candy aroma is like no other i've smelt before. The sweet fruity taste seemed the same from begining to end. A little thin bodied but quite drinkable at 5.9%. (355 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -32.3%

Light amber with a medium head. Sweet sugary and candy like aroma with a hint of caramel, very simple. Sweetness up front followed by dry finish. Profile is llike sugar, not rich malt. Complex musky undertones, raw dirt character. Very slight metalic hop in finish. Very disapointing.Ranks 4th out of 5 Bier de Gardes tasted during the same session. (355 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -27%

Poured into a snifter (tulips where dirty) around 40 F.

Nose: earthy, sour tartness, with hints of sweet apples and a little orange, all in all clean. (not what I expected)

Appearance: beautiful, copperish in color with a very nice candy apple red hue. Small, off white head that collapsed very quickly.

Taste: Candied apple sweetness, hints of honey, with a slight spicy hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, which helped cut the sweetness a little, but a little much for me.

I guess I would call this a drinkable, sweet, session style beer. Not my cup of tea though. (577 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Coppery, loses head quickly, leaving very little webbing. Honey and something else -- almonds? -- on the nose, but a little too cloying. Fairly complex taste, with more flavors and spices than I could ever hope to identify. The depth of the flavor is somewhat overshadowed by an astringent follow-through, though. It's not bad, but at it's rather high price point I don't believe I'll buy it again.

[750ml bottle, poured in a mug] (431 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

I loved this beer.

I recently went to a Biere de Garde tasting and sampled 4 different kinds- nothing was this good. Very, very drinkable. Slightly tart but not a "sour beer." Beautiful, clear ruby appearance. Complex but smooth drinking.

I don't remember what I paid for this. If I saw it again for $10 or less, I'd grab it in a second. (339 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Bought this refrigerated at the local bevmo. The deep amber hue nicely accompanies the lightly effervescent brew. Very lightly hopped and not as sweet as a Belgian. The wife liked the nose. Liked it but for the price would head towards a similarly priced Belgian dubbel. (270 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last