Porter - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: WesWes on 06-16-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Porter Alström Bros
2.06/5  rDev -44%

probably the black sheep of this 12-pack.

dark but clear beer with a brownish ruby hue. thick 1-finger foam with random sized bubbles on the surface. attractive. leaves a spiderweb of lacing in its wake. smell contains mild coffee and lactose notes. bitter flavors are primarily chalky and unfortunately dominant. creamed coffee follows through to the aftertaste, but can only be enjoyed once the beer is long gone down the chute. light body and very noticeably in possession of the same 'southern tier hop/malt profile' that taints the tripel. a mess of a beer, drinkable for its lightness.. as long as you enjoy eating dirt.

2.27/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours an extremely dark brown, near pitch black, with a very stiff, light brown head. Great lacing as well. Although it looks nice, the smell left much to be desired. Nothing very noticable besides some breadiness. Taste was mediocre at best as well. Taste is roasty but not really coffeeish or dark chocolates either. Roasted dark malts, very dry mouthfeel. Tastes kind of burnt actually. Overall, this beer is mediocre. There is nothing that really sticks out and strikes me as being great about it, or even good.

This is the fist Southern Tier offering that has left me wanting. I guess I was due to find a beer from them that doesn't appeal to me.

2.31/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours to a very small and quickly dissipated head (used a tulip glass) and comes in the typical porter color (dark black). Very little carbonation especially for a porter.

The really am displeased with the taste of this. I've had other Southern Tier products and liked all of them (especially their barley wine) so this was a let down. The hopes are extremely up front and is the first and last thing you taste. Very little roasted malt flavor and the aftertaste has a bit of a soapy taste to it.

2.32/5  rDev -37%

The color and consistency of a porter were there but the smell was a bit odd. The smell reminded me of soy sauce or perhaps raisins. There was harshness to the taste as well, something like burnt coffee as opposed to the nice roasted coffee flavor common to porters . Just didn't care for this porter.

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

This porter is just a watery mess that has little redeeming value. It doesn't have the body that a good porter should have. The taste was a little off. The coffee notes were watered down and almost non-existent.

Bottom Line: Bland boring and watery,

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

The bere pours brown with a light tan head.

The aroma is really bad, it almost smells like chroline. I thought it be the glass but then I poured it for my table mates into different glasses and they got the same thing.

The taste is much better than the aroma, but that's still not saying a lot. Its light coffee mostly.

The feel is pretty light.

Overall, another ST to run from. The aroma just crushes this.

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%

A - More brown than black, although dark. Tan head.

S - I hope this is a bad bottle, because something is not right here. Get some caramel and sugar but some sort of messed up chemical smell I can't describe mixed in with the rest of the porter characteristics. Not good.

T - A touch roasty, light coffee malts, don't really get the chemical thing in the taste, other than some sort of strange bite at the end that hits the roof of your mouth. Also, not good.

M - Pretty light drinking porter, moderately carbonated.

D - It's an easy drinker I suppose, but the experience is bad enough to keep you from wanting to drink it.

2.69/5  rDev -26.9%

I like the over-the-top Southern Tier flavors, so I figured I'd give this one a try...

A: Deep dark brew with burgundy highlights emitting through. Very dark purple with a small off-white head that fades quickly. Good.

S: Watery roastiness with hints of chocolate and vanilla. Kind of like dirty bath water. Eh.

T: Super roast upfront with a weird metallic grassy taste. Kind of like drinking a green tea or something. Desperately trying to pull out more flavors, but really struggling. Eh, no good.

M: Super light with hints of hops. Decent.

D: Goes down super easy, but hard to get past the metallic watery flavor. Decent.

All in all, nope, avoid this brew. Not worth your time or money no matter what. Hunt Chocolate or Unearthy instead. Avoid.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from bottle in New Holland tulip. Bottled on date was 06/24/2011.

A: Pours a deep cola color with a lively, prickly, half finger cream head. Nice lacing, clings to the side of the glass, persistently and even.

N: Roasted barley syrup. Very mild, some soft vanilla.

T: Fairly one dimensional. Light initial waves of roasted barley, but not a whole lot more.

M: Dry mouthfeel, with little aftertaste. A good level of carbonation, but no lasting impression.

D and O: Kind of dull and not exciting. Lack of overall character really gives me a bad impression.

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: Jet black, brown head with good retention, the way a proper porter should look

Smell: Roasted malts, coffee, mild smoke. Wonderful.

Taste: Never have I noticed such a discrepancy between smell and taste in a beer. The appealing aroma makes you think you're in for a treat, until it hits your tastebuds. Burnt malts, overbearing smokiness, tobacco and a lingering aftertaste of roofing tar (I used to work as a roofer, drinking this brought me back). Pretty disgusting.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick, rich consistency.

Drinkability: Looks great, smells great, tastes horrible. The worst offering I've tried from Southern Tier...will never purchase again.

2.74/5  rDev -25.5%

This pour produced a nice beer the color of...a Sharpie marker. Moderate tan colored head had a less then average retention. I was hoping for a better head then this beer provided.

Very nice malt aromas with hints of chocolate, and cocoa. There is also a linguring odor of slight hops. Overall the aroma is an excellent blend.

Very strong malt with a very bitter aftertaste. I liked the first sip, but once the aftertaste hit me, I was not impressed with the taste of this beer. There was no flavor of the trace hints I noticed in the aroma.

Despite the flavor, the feel of this beer was very smooth with a nice amount of body.

I wouldn't drink this beer again, but if you are a porter fan, I am sure you will find more to like about it then I did.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a dark ruby with a small off white head. Retains the head very slightly. Smells strongly of coffee and nut.

The taste is a little underwhelming. The coffee is rather weak and quickly fades away leaving a lot of carbonation and just a hint of hops. Not a lot of depth of flavor here. It is somewhat creamy but that really can't save it for me. It had some potential but couldn't follow through.

2.81/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Black with coke brown edges.

Sweet malt, watery coffee.

That sweet malt is the first thing to it the palate, with solid roasty flavors after that and on the finish,with a hint of chocolate and milk.

thin and a good amount of carbination for a porter, drinks easily because of how thin it is.

2.82/5  rDev -23.4%

Back in Johnstown, Pennsylvania AGAIN...for business. Had dinner at the Boulevard restaurant...AGAIN. This night they had the Southern Tier Dark Porter....ON TAP! The color was very dark amber, almost black with white head that laced ok. The nose was weak...didnt smell anything. The taste was ok...not very rich...like I prefer my poters. There were hints of coffee and earth. The mouthfeel was good thank to the light ABV. This beer is worth a taste and I would only session if it was this vs. miller lite.

2.82/5  rDev -23.4%

Southern Tier's labels always remind me of energy drinks. I mean, the beer's generally not bad. And it's a good design. It just doesn't really invoke a sense of craft beer, does it? Or is that just me?

It pours like it should, deep ruby-black with an inch of head that lingers. It's hard not to admire a dark beer that laces this beautifully.

The aroma is weak. Roasty. I almost get grains and mild vegetal...or something. Smells a bit like a rotten tooth. It's not that pleasant.

The taste is coffee. Roasted malt. A mild dollop of chocolate with a hint of caramel. Some dried dark fruit. Has a dry roasty finish, and something metallic or minerally that lingers in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is medium, maybe leaning towards light.

It's not really stunner of a porter and why, after a strong start with the IPA, does the LCBO seem to keep bringing in Southern Tier's weakest offerings?

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

12oz bottle from the LCBO, pours a dark brown, a shade darker than your average cola. Finger of mocha head, dies down to sporadic patches for the lifespan. No lacing.

Nose is ... light. Some chocolate, hints of malt.

Taste is a little better. Base chocolate which is slightly unusual, malt layered on top, hints of smoke, a slightly odd "off" note, metallic perhaps. Not overly bad, solid porter flavor profile, not robust or big but solid. But the killer is the ultra-thin body coupled with over-carbonation which gives it an "edge". I guess this could be a fall-back drinker but I have better things to drink.

AS it warms you get more of that medicinal/vegetal/metallic offness - not so yummy.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Porter last weekend for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new porter to try so I decided to give this a brew a shot. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label on the beer is pretty plain but the color and font look ok and I like that it tells you how many different types of hops and malts they used. It poured a pretty deep dark brown that looked borderline black till I held it to the light and noticed all the ruby highlights. It had three fingers worth of fluffy off white slightly tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and left some spotty lacing.

S- The first thing I pick up are all the roasted malts in this brew that impart a nice balance of black coffee and dark chocolate. The aroma was on the sweet side and had a molasses and brown sugar like smell to it. I couldn't pick up any hops in the aroma. The aroma wasn't as strong and robust as I was expecting, but all the right aromas were there.

T- The flavor is pretty much an exact mirror of the aroma. It starts off with all those medium roasted malts that impart some black coffee and dark chocolate flavors that are not as bold and robust as I would like. I also thought the brown sugar and molasses like sweetness was a little overbearing and a little too sweet for my tastes. This finish was sweet and grainy with virtually no bitterness or hop presence.

M- Smooth and medium bodied, could be just a little thicker to be perfect. The carbonation was on the medium side and was just right for this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty average porter. Most of all those nice roasty porter flavors were there, but they weren't as roasty and robust as I would like in a porter. I also didn't like the sweetness in this beer which really hurt it's drinkability. There was no hop presence in this beer and I think that really hurt it. This beer needs to be more robust, less sweet, and have some hop presence to it to balance everything out. I don't think I would buy this again since there are many better local porters that are readily available to me and I can't say I would recommend it to anyone either, there was just too much shit that needs to be fixed with this beer. This was my first review for a Southern Tier beer and I wasn't impressed, I have tried some of their other beers and liked them, so I know they make some good beers, but this wasn't one of them.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours an inky black with subtle amber highlights and a creamy, thin khaki head.

S: Gentle, muted aromas of dark chocolate, vanilla bean, heavy cream, and earthy ale hops take quite some time to express themselves on the nose.

T: Notes of roasted grain, sweet cream, burnt toast, coffee, vanilla bean, dark chocolate, leather, grass, herbs, and lemon rind express themselves on the palate. The finish is bitter, with burnt toast, herb, lemon rind, and grass flavors most apparent.

M: Definitely on the thinner side of medium and somewhat slick throughout. Carbonation disappears quickly. I'm missing the luscious mouthfeel I expect of most porters.

O: This porter never really comes together for me. The nose is a tad too gentle, the flavor profile is too jumbled, and the mouthfeel is too thin, too watery, and undercarbonated. I hope this is just a bad bottle because this is by far the weakest Southern Tier product I have tried to this point.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours black with weak, quickly dissipating head that leaves almost zero lacing.

The nose is pretty weak, offering some toasted malts, vanilla, and coffee. The flavor consists of coffee, deep roasted malts, a hint of vanilla, and a slight woodiness. The mouth is medium bodied, without a lot of complexity on the tongue.

Not too heavy or alcoholic to drink, but lacks the complex flavor that makes one want to drink another. I often buy the Southern Tier sampler pack, and these are always the last three to be grabbed, paling in comparison to the Phin and Matt's and the Pale Ale.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

a: pours black in color with an off-white head that simmers pretty quickly. a small lacing stays for a while, but it's pretty underwhelming.

s: faint aromas of roasted malt. subtle grassy notes. not much else.

t: roasted malts hit first with notes of bittersweet chocolate. finishes a tad bitter and dry. body is somewhat thin and watery. not quite as rich and hearty as i hoped for.

m: thin, watery.

if you're looking for a good porter, look elsewhere.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

A - Deep ruby red/brown in color. Clear as a bell, and a thin head of mocha colored foam.

S - Very faint, but dark fruit, slight roast, mostly just a malty sweetness.

T - Pretty much the same as the smell. The primary flavor here is the roast/chocolate flavors, and not much of the fruityness. Not overly sweet.

M - Clean. A little too clean for a porter. You can still taste it after a minute or so, but only slightly.

O - Maybe I am just spoiled with big, complex porters, but this one just didn't do it for me. Seemed kinda boring.

2.92/5  rDev -20.7%

Porters make great winter drinking, but I couldn't decide if I liked this one cold or room temperature. I decided I didn't like it that much either way. The flavor was hollow - it starts with a nice mouth filling roasted coffee blast, but ends empty and stale. Not the worst beer, but a very average beer.

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

look 4
smell 3.5 nice dark chocolate
taste 2.5 had promises due to the look and smell, but ultimately the taste didn't live up look and smell. slight chocolate and butter but not much else. slightly watery.
feel 2.5
overall 3. average. wouldn't really drink again.

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Dark brown body topped by a rather thin tan head that quickly fades to nothing, even with an agressive pour. A bit of a sweet chocolate aroma, but overall fairly faint. The taste is also rather uneventful. Theres a decent amount of bitterness, but also a touch of wet cardboard. Carbonation is a bit light, bordering on flat. Slight roasted notes on the aftertaste, but it starts tasting a bit like watered down cola with a cigarette butt floating in it. Still better than most macro offerings, but perhaps a "tier" below the other offerings I've tried from this brewery. Not bad, but definitely not a stellar example.

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

A - red through center of glass. Tall off-white creamy head.

S - medium heavy but smells like an average porter mixed with an average bock.

T - toasted malts and maybe a mild dark chocolate. Not very deep.

M - medium coating with a tingle all over the mouth.

D - were the flavor a little deeper I could drink this all night, as it is there are a lot more that I would rather have.

Porter from Southern Tier Brewing Company