Old Man (Winter Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)

good

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Old Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Man (Winter Ale) Alström Bros

MyTBeerDrinker, Dec 29, 2011
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Jan 08, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -59.3%

brez8791, Jan 16, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -52.6%

BrownAleMale, Dec 10, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -51.8%

This is amazingly clear orange/reddish colored beer. That said head is lacking and no lace in my glass at all. Just some hints of foam around the edges.

The aroma is subtle with hints of grain and perhaps a touch of hop spice.

There is a lot of cereal grain with a finish of coy hops. There is a flavor here of an almost plastic/metallic nature I really do not like.

A bit under carbonated but acceptable for the style.

I really dislike this one. It is nearly to the point where I may just drain pour it. This isn't for me at all.

bobhits, Nov 14, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -49.1%

Served from a bottle

Looks pretty good! Smell is a little weak however...

Taste is like the smell...I get nothing of value here. The mouthfeel is pretty good, but the lack of any flavor was a real detriment to me drinking the entire bottle.

Maybe I'll revisit this one someday, but for now I feel as if it isn't even worth drinking the rest of it....hopefully this is just a bad batch...

Aberration, Nov 30, 2011

KingMe, Feb 28, 2014

tmars13, Mar 03, 2013

clfrost, Apr 22, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured into a snifter. The beer pours dark mahogany with a no head. Real nice color on this though. Lots of malts up front but there is kind of an off smell that I can't quite put my finger on. It's kind of fishy. It ruins it for me. Not a lot going on in this one. Slightly bitter in the end but the big malt profile I was expecting really seems to get lost in there somewhere. This really doesn't seem to have the characteristics I've come to expect in an old ale. The mouthfeel is a bit watery. Just a weak example of the style. There isn't much of a chance that I'll finish this one.

Bendurgin, Dec 29, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -39.6%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. brown bottle that I purchased as a single at Save-On in Mentor for $1.68 two days ago into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. No observed "best by" date.

A Off white creamy head that leaves minimal lacing over a translucent and slightly dark caramel (just a bit darker than average caramel) colored body. Not really that impressive. 2.5

S Distant barley malt and very little hops in my opinion. This smells like a rather barley-centric beer but whatever it is there is not a strong smell. Again, not really that impressive. 2.5

T Dull, bitter taste of hops and much barley with a lingering, bitter aftertaste on the back of my tongue that I do not really appreciate very much. I do not like that kind of lingering bitterness. I am sure that it is consistent with the style, an Old Ale, but it is not to my liking. 2.0

M Full, big with the bitterness of the hops in front and then that lingering feeling on the back 1/3 of my tongue. I will say that the feel was much bigger than the look suggested. The feel is appropriate to the style and even though I do not necessarily like it I will not score it below average because I think that it hits the style correctly. 3.0

D Not good. I will finish the 12 ounces but not likely seek it out again. 2.0

Notes: Even though I am not a big fan of the style, this is not the best example of the style. The better ones, again in my opinion, have a heavier sweet malt profile to them.

adamette, Dec 11, 2010

Swift989, Dec 03, 2013

prisdefer, Nov 30, 2012

Bunnyhops, Nov 18, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -35%

I'm reviewing this based on the style listing here, which frankly annoys me. This is more of an APA or an IPA...it has no old ale characteristics that I can discern.

Pour is amber, nice looking brew. Mild head. Nose is citrus twang and malts. Fairly classic pale.

The flavour on this is two major things: ruby red grapefruit and casual caramel malts. The grapefruit is not particularly aggressive and fades off the palette pretty quickly though.

The bottom line: This would be an across the board average beer if it was listed as an APA or IPA, as an old ale though? Overhopped, undermalted, and extremely shallow. Pick this up if you're looking for something mildly hoppy for the winter, but avoid if you actually want an old ale.

CortexBomb, Dec 01, 2008
2.46/5  rDev -33.3%

Aroma 6/12
Strong citrus hops bitterness and nutmeg hits immediately. This is followed by a cinnamon and a hint of a caramel malt profile. A strong hops bitterness dominates. As it warms the sharp hop bitterness is subdued somehwat and the caramel malt profile comes more into play. Fermented raisins begin to dominate with a sweet caramel malt profile and there
are hints of citrus peel, a hint of nutmeg and cloves. The citrus hops is still overpowering and makes the rest of the aromas difficult to differentiate.

Appearance 3/3
Deep reddish brown, almost blood ruby. Clear. Just a few bubbles rising. Thick, creamy off-white head with excellent retention.
Even after it sits a good while the head retention is still foamy and covers the entire surface and then some.
It sticks thickly to the sides and stays there.

Taste 9/20
The strong bitterness hits immediately, this is followed by the nutmeg. Strong bitter aftertaste.
As it warms an orange citrus bitterness still dominates but the sweetness of the malt comes through. It is just a tad watery, demonstrating a clean soft mineral profile. Some caramel tries to make its way through but the bitterness interferes with the balance.
None of the interesting spices in the aroma are here at all, as the bitterness overpowers.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Crisp and dry finish. Astringent to the point of leaving my tongue and lips slightly numb. Very low carbonation.

Overall Impression 4/10
This is more like an IPA with a touch of spices than a winter ale. Perhaps reconsider classifying this as an IPA for a stronger score.
To make it more appropriate to the style, I recommend downplaying the hops more. It would be great if the flavors that are in the aroma would be allowed to take a stronger tone in the balance to make this feel more in season. This might also solve the astringency concerns and give it the comforting feel one looks to in a Christmas/Winter Ale.
Whatever was done to make this fantastic frothy head that just lasts forever, keep doing it.

25/50

Note: BeerAdvocate has this incorrectly classified as an Old Ale. If it were, this rating would be even lower, as it bears absolutely no resemblance to an Old Ale.

Landar, Jan 19, 2014