Old Man (Winter Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)

good

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Old Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Man (Winter Ale) Alström Bros
3.24/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.31/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Old Man Winter Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I've never had this beer before and it caught my eye while i was looking for some new beers to try, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes with the season and i think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a hazy caramel color that took on more of an amber red color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of creamy and slightly bubbly very light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt, light toasted malt, bready, caramel malt and bread crust like aromas with a good amount of doughy yeast coming through in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart a mixture of citrus rind and herbal hops aromas with the citrus rind hop aromas sticking out the most. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish it had a little more complexity.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the bready and bread crust like aspects sticking out the most. Up next comes some doughy yeast that goes right into the hops which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a bready and herbal hop and a little watery aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought it was a little bland for the style.

M- Fairly smooth, a little watery, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was a little thicker with a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of the style, I know this style always doesn't have to be on the stronger side, but i felt like this beer was missing some of that complexity that I look for in the style and when it came down to it I didn't find it to be too memorable. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little watery, pretty crisp, slight prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do a great job of holding my attention, one is enough for me any more than that and I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, this was a pretty good looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel and that it was jut a little bland and not to memorable, those aspects held this beer back. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would recommend this as a good Old Ale, but it may be worth a try to see what you think of it. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it didn't really have anything that made it stick out to me and it reminded me a lot of how an IPA tastes when it get too old without that stale malt aspect. This one was falls right in the middle for Southern Tier and it's very average for an Old Ale. I just wasn't that into this beer, better luck next time guys.

3.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.81/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Far too bitter for my liking. Much better winter ales out there.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This just hit me as really damn good. Nice deep amber in the glass, and nice hints of pine on the nose. Many of the same notes (IMHO) as Brown Shugga, just not as sweet or strong. Really set off a nice winter evening with the wife. I am really glad I tried this one!

3.46/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Nice beer to start out but has a bitter ending to it that I am not sure can be equated to the hops.

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had better winter warmers from local breweries, no need to keep this middle of the road example from across the country.

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%