Old Man (Winter Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)

good

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Old Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Man (Winter Ale) Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Notta bad offering in this growler.. poured into a pint glass

Hazy darker amber color on this with minimal head with some heavy bubbling minimal lacing, smell is of caramel, malt, syrups not much hops to speak of. taste is good, much malt, again with the caramels and syrups and a little spice. mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, could drink a few more of these, feels seasonal fo sho

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Had on tap at pazzos pizza pub in Lexington KY

A - Brought to me in a pint glass with about a finger head. Clear amber in color. Lacing is slight but its there.

S - Smells mostly of yeast. Can't really pull much out of the nose. Maybe some mild spice smell.

T - Suprisingly hoppy with a sweet aftertaste. Not much flavor besides the hops.

M - light bodied perhaps a little too light but matches the flavors.

O - An average beer. I'm not familiar to reviewing old ales, but this one is still pretty tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

This one was really good, but fell slightly short of my "excellent beer" 5 stars...this could really be because I have very high standards for Southern Tier as it is one of my favorite breweries. The flavor was really smooth and consistent from first to last sip but something was missing. I think the spice level could be turned up one click and it would be perfection. I am curious to see what this tastes like out of the bottle - seems to me beers like these tend to pack a higher punch of the intended flavors when poured from the bottle into a frosted pint glass then enjoyed.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into pint.

A: Clear, dark amber with white head and good lacing.

S: Hops, bit of phenols, caramel.

T: Bit of light pine hops, followed by a bit of a roasted malt notes, caramel, finishes off with a bit of an alcohol bite

M: Nice, smooth medium mouthfeel.

O: A nice winter seasonal. Not my favorite. I honestly don't prefer hoppy brews for winter seasonals, but this one balances the hops with a nice roasted malt and caramel profile, so it's all good.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

A - light copper to golden straw, off-white head that fades quickly to thin film

S - metallic, fruity, hoppy goodness, reminds me of the almost-burnt sides of a cupcake that was left in the oven just 2 min too long

T - some malt up front, some caramel in there, maybe some hops on the sides... not a whole lot here. The nose didn't translate how I thought it might. actually, bitterness is higher than I initially thought and unfortunately lingers, but not in a pleasant way

M - Pretty highly carbed and leaves the mouthfeel a little thin. My lips feel sticky, but my tongue feels left out of the party

O - Not a whole lot going on. pass.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Reddish, copper brown. An off white head that dissipated quickly.

S: I sipped it too quickly. My bad. I will update this review tomorrow.

T: Nice balance of hops and malts for a winter ale. The malts taste like German style malts. The hops aren't too forward or pungent.

M: hmm. At first pretty velvety and smooth and then a bite. Definitely reminds me of a crisp German style lager.

Overall, I LOVED this beer when I first had it at Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. Now, it doesn't taste like I thought it would. It tastes much like a German style beer - which I've learned to love, but wasn't expecting. I'm giving it a B.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a clear amber with a thin bit of head. Not too much going on in the way of nose, but it smells decent enough, a bit resiny. Spicy hops dominate the flavor with some bready malt. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and smooth with a slight bit of stickiness. Overall, this is not what you'd expect from an 'old ale', it's kind of just a generic high abv amber. Decent, and drinkable, but nothing more.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

It's a light amber color, almost orange, with a decent two finger head that dissipated to a sheen, leaving good lace.

It's got a clean, crisp, hop-spicy and a little grainy smell.

Taste is a bit earthy, almost oddly pungent, hoppy, perhaps a little metallic.

Feel is pretty smooth, medium bodied, alcohol just a touch noticeable.

Overall it's not my fav from the brewery, but it's decent enough. It's only my second old ale so I reserve the right to alter my judgment of this one in the future.

Old Man (Winter Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company