Old Man (Winter Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)

good

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Old Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Man (Winter Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,436 | Reviews: 549
3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Lovely copper colour with a small, but persistent light tan head.

The aroma is a little musty with some light caramel, toffee and earthy hop notes. I'm getting the feeling that Southern Tier likes some hops more than others as I am getting a similar hop aroma here to that in their Raspberry Porter.

This is an interesting take on a winter beer. The initial attack is full on with lots of malt and toffee flavours. It then flows into a lot of bitterness without much hop flavour. What is there is a little earthy (Willamette maybe?). As a whole it doesn't do much for me as it seems unbalanced.

Medium-light body with moderately high carbonation. It's okay but not what I expected.

This is an okay beer. It has flavour but the bitterness is out of balance with the rest of the beer and adds a harshness which I don't appreciate.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

a-pours a medium dark amber color with a clear body and zero sediment. has a 3/4 finger pale head that actually holds for quite some time and leaves a decent amount of lacing.

s-mostly smell hops with some subtle malt aroma. there is a sweet spiciness lingering in the nose that is a vanilla/chocolate smell. spicy citrus with cloves.

t-has a somewhat unimpressive flavor. there is a nice hop hit in the beginning that is then quickly muted out with a a fruity flavor. i honestly dont find it too complex. tastes is one dimensional.

m-light body and drinkable with a tingle of low to medium carbonation. this beer can be consumed quickly but there isnt much to the body at all. watery almost.

o-its not horrible by any mean. but it is a somewhat let down from S.T. as i have grown to enjoy more and more of their beer this year. will try again in the future but look more forward to their fall releases than this winter one.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

I poured this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Beer pours an amber brown color. Beer has a white head with lacing that follows the beer down the glass. The Beer has a bitter sweet caramel flavor. Alcohol comes through; I was actually surprised that it was only a 7.2% beer.

I can't place it exactly but this beer doesn't work for me. It seems to be just missing something.

Not a bad beer; just not for me.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This review is from the old man after drinking on father's day....would probably taste better in the winter

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: medium head, clear, copper, high carbonation

Smell: hops, pear, spices--maybe cinammon, and a touch of apricot--This one smells great

Taste: For all that wonderful smell, hops and grapefruit take over this beer

Mouthfeel: bitter throughout with a medium body

Drinkability: I expected more-especially coming off of the smell. This is very one dimensional as it is bitter and hoppy. There are better offerings in the style and Southern Tier has way better offerings.

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a very filtered brew. Clear amber liquid with 1 finger of slightly off-white suds. Some lacing around my glass.
Aroma is charred malts and pungent hop/yeast burn in the nose. As it warms it gets a little more sugar in the nose with molasses and brown sugar.
Taste is a tad watery for an old ale but the alcohol is very well hidden. A slight dirty flavor at first then the malt coats the back of the mouth and the bitter hop comes to the front. There is some booze left on the palate at the very end of the taste right before the black bitterness of the charred malts takes over.
Mouthfeel is very sharp and black for the most part. You don't get the alcohol burn at all as you do from most old ales. So I take it this one is slightly weak.
Overall I still like this mishmash of flavors and wouldn't hesitate buying this again.
Pretty nice beer.

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured a deep chestnut color with attractive off-white chunky head. Modest retention with great sticky lacing.
Smell is notable only for distinct alcohol note.
Taste have lots of caramel-toffee malt, but an overabundance of hops overpowwers all other taste sensatios.
Leave an austerely dry feeling in the mouth.
Very dissapointling. I expected much more.

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

on tap at the spot in point

Pours a clear copper color with a fairly high off-white head. Retains pretty well, leaving some rings of lacing around the glass.

The nose is somewhat soft, with hints of cinnamon spice, caramel, dark fruit, and a twinge of alcohol.

Begins with a decent dose of bitter pine hops, followed by mellowing sweetness. Raisins and cherries are apparent, along with a malty, bready backbone. Another flash of hoppiness is coupled with a bit of a boozy aftertaste during the finish.

Medium bodied, decent carbonation, a little dry feel. Drinks okay, the alcohol is masked alright except during the aftertaste. Flavors are decent, I usually like ST but I don't think I'd seek this one out.

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

Bottle. Pours a very clear copper color with a little 1/2 finger white head that coasters on top. Fairly strong malty aroma mixed with subtle citrus hop notes. Good lace on the glass. The taste is pretty sweet with some citrus type flavors. Just a tinge of hop presence that imparts a touch of bitterness. Some caramel notes as well. Hop bitter after taste. Medium mouthfeel.

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Again I am confused by Southern Tier with the styling of this seasonal ale. It taste more like an IPA than an ale. I had this problem with their KRAMPUS beer as well. Infact, I am having trouble separating the taste of this and KRAMPUS. They taste way too similar in my opinion. Anyway, this is the second sampling from Southern Tier that is a good beer, but I am not tasting anything different or distinguishable. They all taste like IPA's even though they are supposed to be a different style. I am not saying that this OLD MAN is a bad beer. It is a good beer. I find it to be very bitter and hoppy which I like. I wouldn't call it an ale or old ale though. I guess my expectation from this company is to always blow me away since my first two Southern Tier samplings were their PUMKING and WARLOCK which are phenomenal! This is a solid beer if you like hoppy, bitter beers with all the characteristics of an IPA. I just wished for more of a creamy ale.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

A - light copper to golden straw, off-white head that fades quickly to thin film

S - metallic, fruity, hoppy goodness, reminds me of the almost-burnt sides of a cupcake that was left in the oven just 2 min too long

T - some malt up front, some caramel in there, maybe some hops on the sides... not a whole lot here. The nose didn't translate how I thought it might. actually, bitterness is higher than I initially thought and unfortunately lingers, but not in a pleasant way

M - Pretty highly carbed and leaves the mouthfeel a little thin. My lips feel sticky, but my tongue feels left out of the party

O - Not a whole lot going on. pass.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

A- Pours a deep red hue with a fizzy eggshell head that leaves some lacing as it goes down.

S- Smells of dark fruits, raisins, etc.

T- Taste is much too tame for an old ale. Hits the raisin flavor at the begining moves into spices and sort of fades away at the end.

M- A bit thin, lots of carbonation.

D- Not terrible but I couldnt ever see myself drinking this again. I like big old ales, this one just doesn't fit the bill.

3.29/5  rDev -10.6%

Pretty good issue by Southern Tier. ST is an odd brewery. Some of their stuff is FAN-tastic(Choklat and Oat, for example), and some brews are complete misses, such as their Creme Brulee ale. Nevertheless, it shows they have the courage to try different styles and go out on a limb. That's why I'm kinda surprised by Old Man. Kinda middle of the road for them. Yes, pours like a Winter and tastes like a Winter should, but there's no aroma and it's somewhat lacking in body. By no means one of the best Winters out there, but still not bad overall.

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz from a mixed 6-pack poured into a tulip pint

Picked this up as part of a mix and match 6-pack. I find that mix and match packs are my best friend on vacation, especially in a state with as many great breweries as New York. Wegmans has a mixed 6-pack station in most of their stores ... which is somewhat amazing from a grocery perspective.

L: Amber, transparent and a touch thin looking. Head is a wispy, foamy affair with nearly no retention, but decent lacing.

S: Most pronounced part is a (wet?) hopping with a lot of sweetness throughout. Smells like a DIPA that's past it's prime, but a good DIPA that's past it's prime ... for what it's worth.

T: Crisp hops along side a wet sweetness. These walk hand in hand through a decent progression all the way through the finish. Not much going on here, but what is going on isn't bad.

F: Thin, but smooth and crisp.

D: Not bad, similar to Boulevard Nut Cracker ... but nowhere near as good.

3.32/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Poured a dark ruby red with a firm beige head.

S: warm caramel, a dry spiciness and roasted nuttiness.

T: The flavor was warm roasted nuttiness and caramel, There was some dried fruit (raisins), burnt sugar and woodiness, chocolate and some cocoa. There was some light lingering floral hoppiness as well finishing dry.

M: lighter then expected, lightly carbonated with a smooth texture.

D: Ok drinkability, nothing special, flavor is overall muted and muddled with no strong character.

3.32/5  rDev -9.8%

I am a big fan of Old Ales, but the selection for the style is always somewhat limited, which is why I was excited when I came across this particular beer. Old Man pours a reddish-brown with a very subtle pale quality. Citrus is most notable in the aroma, but there are a lot of other characteristics there too, including raisin, darker fruit notes and a spicy hop scent.

The heavy pine flavor of the hops combine with the taste of bitter orange rind to give this beer an intense start. Light caramel provides some sweetness, but it takes the back seat to the bitter qualities. The raisin flavor comes out before the finish, which is also when the alcohol is most noticeable. Spices are also present near the back end. Overall, a little more bitter than what I prefer in an Old Ale. I would have liked a stronger sweet/caramel balance to give this the depth that I usually enjoy in this style. Mouthfeel was very smooth and enjoyable.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a pint glass. pours a reddish/brown w/a thin white head that quickly evaporates, no lacing at all. Some good carbonation. Aroma is malty, sugar spices with some raisin. Taste is malty heaven with the bitterness of the hop coming to the party. Mouthfeel is crisp, drinkability should be good with this one. Overall, the cold winter nites should be perfect to handle with this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Old Man Winter Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I've never had this beer before and it caught my eye while i was looking for some new beers to try, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes with the season and i think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a hazy caramel color that took on more of an amber red color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of creamy and slightly bubbly very light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt, light toasted malt, bready, caramel malt and bread crust like aromas with a good amount of doughy yeast coming through in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart a mixture of citrus rind and herbal hops aromas with the citrus rind hop aromas sticking out the most. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish it had a little more complexity.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the bready and bread crust like aspects sticking out the most. Up next comes some doughy yeast that goes right into the hops which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a bready and herbal hop and a little watery aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought it was a little bland for the style.

M- Fairly smooth, a little watery, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was a little thicker with a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of the style, I know this style always doesn't have to be on the stronger side, but i felt like this beer was missing some of that complexity that I look for in the style and when it came down to it I didn't find it to be too memorable. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little watery, pretty crisp, slight prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do a great job of holding my attention, one is enough for me any more than that and I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, this was a pretty good looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel and that it was jut a little bland and not to memorable, those aspects held this beer back. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would recommend this as a good Old Ale, but it may be worth a try to see what you think of it. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it didn't really have anything that made it stick out to me and it reminded me a lot of how an IPA tastes when it get too old without that stale malt aspect. This one was falls right in the middle for Southern Tier and it's very average for an Old Ale. I just wasn't that into this beer, better luck next time guys.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a moderately-dark copper red hue with very thick head. When held up directly to the light it looks a little pink.

Nose has aromas of hops, malts, and strawberries. There is a slight rusty smell, suggesting a red ale.

Taste has just a tiny hit of fruit, and is malty with a bit of hopped bitterness. Quite rich and a little creamy, it has a little booziness that almost implies an even higher alcohol level than the 7.2%. Not tremendously complex, it nonetheless balances the malts and hops nicely. It is very pleasant and is a nice winter ale to warm one during the cold months.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

12 ounce bottle - Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. DOB 11/07/11.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, very light brown body with a small, slimming, whitish head.

Smell: Lightly smelling notes of biscuit tops, toasted sugars, everyday fruit, spice, and old citrus peels.

Taste: Biscuit-toned malts with some nutty, sweetish toffee hints present. Light touches of charred bread crust and of cereal. Moderate fruitiness. Herbal, spicy hops with a medium amount of bitterness. Drying finish with a little citrus peel showing and some of the hop spiciness trailing into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Had it two years ago and thought it was fine. Two years later, it's still fine. I'd say I wouldn't revisit it, but, here I am, two years later.

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a darker coppery amberish hue. Two finger beige head shows poor retention. Light streaky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Toasted malts with a nice dashing of caramel malts. Some light darker fruits mainly raisins come into play toward the middle of the aroma. Lastly spicey piney hops come in the back end of this beer. Nothing over the top and a little bland to be honest.

T- Some toasted malts in the front of the beer with a light hop. The middle of this has some light caramel malts but with a huge darker fruit (plum and raisin) flavor. Light piney hops in the ending with a touch of warming alcohol. There is some light spicey flavor in the backend as well.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Toasted malts with some light caramel malts left on the palate. Darker fruits, alcohol, and toasted malts left in the aftertaste. Flavors were clean for the style. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol. Blended well for the style with a hop flavor that comes out more in this beer than in other warmers.

D- This beer is good but a little more bland then what I would like in my warmers. A nice shot by Southern Tier but just not quite there. The ABV is not really there until the backend which is nice.

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a dark copper color with a bit of a tan head. Some staying power, though not much lacing after it recedes. The nose brings some citrus, toasted bread, caramel, earth, and some light herbal notes. The taste is a bit sweet with citrus and herbs, then yielding to some toasted bread and earth. Nice feel and a good body. The beer lacks cohesion and doesn't end up finishing all that well, though I'd like to see how it ages.

3.35/5  rDev -9%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a clear caramel colored amber. Not much head; some lacing though.

(S)- A subtle rich caramel malt sweetness. Bits of a fruit cake/ raisin bread background.

(T)- A nice caramel malt sweetness with bits of fig and honey. More of that bread in the finish.

(M)- A nice smooth carbonation level and a good balance. Sweet and malty but not overpowering either.

(D)- Not bad; a straightforward old ale. And a very approachable one for the style. A nice little winter styled ale for the season.

Sampled on 12-27-07

Poured a deep brown with ruby highlights good clarity. Aggressive pour left only a 1/4 inch head that fell to nothing in no time.

Aroma of spicy/peppery hops and faint fruity and caramenl malts

Taste of spicy hops and orange citrus hops. Caramel and fruity malts come through. The finish is of bitter citrons, like in a fruit cake.

Light to medium body with very light carbonation.

Drinkbility is not that great. After reading other reviews, I wonder if I got a bad bottle. Will have to give it another try if I run across it.

3.35/5  rDev -9%

A - Pours auburn with a thin tan head and minimal lacing.

S - Mostly caramel and nutty with some citrus hops.

T - Caramel and toffee with a light nuttiness and a touch of biscuit. Some citrus hops in the background.

M - On the thin side of medium with light carbonation making it slightl lifeless.

D - If I didn't know any better I would have guessed this was vienna lager.

Old Man (Winter Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company