Hop Sun (Summer Wheat Beer) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Hop Sun (Summer Wheat Beer)Hop Sun (Summer Wheat Beer)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-15-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Sun (Summer Wheat Beer) Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

1.63/5  rDev -56.9%

A: Second consecutive piss ale here. Brilliant clarity. Shredded sheet like a used ghost costume, broken with a central cap and super thin collar. Yellow, straw color. (3)

S: Difficult for me to smell this - not because it’s horrid, but because it’s just not putting out (see: disappointing junior prom). Some hints of corn and lemon. Not much else for me. (2)

T: Whew, the faint hints of corn and lemon - those are here. Those are winning....No, bi-winning! This is quite violent on the palate for me. Like someone squeezed a lemon into my mouth and gave me a backer of watered-down corn juice. I’m not privy to this. Some bitterness. (1.5)

M: Thin and highly carbonated. Fairly dry finish. (2)

O: Nope. Not on board with this one. (1)

06/09/12 At Shorty's 9th Ave. NYC. Had 1 on tap. Not as refreshing as they like to think. This brew is pleasant, but not a long distance summer quaffer. I like it but will keep looking for that perfect...whatever.

2.15/5  rDev -43.1%

Southern Tier Hop Sun
12 oz bottle
Brewed circa summer 06, consumed 03/07
Moderate pour in a weizen glass

Poured a hazy amber with a large quickly diminishing bubbly white head with fair lacing.

Smelt of sour oranges, lemons, and coriander.

Taste was upfront moderate bitter sweet and strong sour orange candy followed by a strong bitter grassy hops and sour lemon rinds on an average length finish.

Palate was light bodied, watery to dry, effervescent and moderately astringent.

Overall, why so sour? Age and lager yeast could have been a factor. I will try again when fresh.

2.23/5  rDev -41%

Served on tap at the South Philadelphia Taproom.

Pours a clear golden color with a thin white quickly dissipating head. Nothing special about the aroma or flavor. Hints of citrus peel, lemon zest, wheat and hops. Quite boring and flat. Dissapointing beer from a great brewery.

2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

Appearance - Goldenrod. Filtered. The flat gold color gives it a near-clear. One finger or less of off-white foam. Short retention. Basically no lacing.

Aroma - I thought the smell was pretty decent. You get a decent dose of hops to the nose, but not very complex. Only a single strain of hops. There is faint germinated wheat, which is expected and pleasant out of this type of beer. However, there is also too much of an acrid odor.

Taste - Not great. This beer retains all of the phenolic taste of a wheat beer, but is not balanced by sweetness. I like the idea of a hoppy wheat, but this didnt do the job. There was phenols and bitters, with no real pale ale or wheat beer flavor :(

Mouthfeel - Again, the phenols took over, making me feel like I had cotton balls in my mouth. The carbonation was too frisky, as well.

Overall - It wasn't terrible, but I would only drink this beer if there was nothing better in my fridge.

2.38/5  rDev -37%

The clear yellow color provides the optimism for a refreshing summer ale. The light citrus aroma keeps that optimism alive.

When I tasted the beer my optimism disappeared. The watery lemon citrus flavor is average at best. And while the beer washes away fairly clean in the beginning, as I worked my way through the bottle an unpleasant aftertaste began to develop. And that aftertaste ruined any idea I had of having another.

I was unimpressed by the summer offering from Southern Tier several years ago when I first tried it and I am unimpressed now. For a good summer offering look elsewhere.

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

A decent white head that looks thicker as it falls. Crystal clear straw colored body with just a touch of carbonation in there.

Sweet fruity and bready notes open the beer with a very American wheat aroma. A bit of earthy notes. I’m looking for the hops and not finding them.

Fruity/sweet malt that’s rather non descript that’s controlled by the nutty wheat and finishing with a light hop kiss. Summer beers are generally pretty boring and American wheats are almost universally code for “might as well be adjunct lager.” There’s enough hop character and flavor here from the malt to make things interesting here. That said why don’t American brewers use me interesting yeasts with wheat beers?

Extremely drinkable summer beer though I wonder if this is a summer beer. It doesn’t have a dry finish or a quick finish. The flavor lingers and doesn’t give that “refreshed” finish.

It is nice to have Southern Tier here in Kentucky, but so far I’ve been pretty unimpressed by what we’re getting. I hope we get their stouts here soon, but their IPAs are ok at best.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

A - Pours a very light golden color with a finger of white head. my friends were surprised when they saw my glass and thought I had a Bud Light.

S - Smell reminds me of wheat extract. It has a similar aroma to Sunset Wheat wit really no hoppiness.

T - Taste is a slightly skunky wheat with a bit of malty sweetness and a slightly bitter aftertaste. Very disappointing flavor.

M/D - Mouthfeel was thin and week with a less than pleasant aftertaste. I would call this more drinkable than a bmc wheat, but not too much more

Hop Sun (Summer Wheat Beer) from Southern Tier Brewing Company