Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: wailingwench on 10-29-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 614 | Hads: 1,462
2.06/5  rDev -42.3%

Orangey body with a white bubbley head that just pops away.

Casacde hops take up most of the scent.I almost smell Tea.I dont know why but that smell comes to my mind.

Again Tea comes to the taste now.Could this beer be bad?I taste some of the malt, the malt keeps the hops tied together.Could the tea taste be the malt?

Easy going down with easy carbonation as well.

Not bad but not to my fancy.I dont think i'll have it again.I'll pass next time.

2.06/5  rDev -42.3%

The aroma of this beer was either oxidation or an intentional aroma produced by hops or yeast. The aroma was cardboardy, almost skunked. Either way, all of the bottles in this six-pack were not very pleasant. The body of the beer was thin and the presence of hops is negligable. I bought this beer expecting more based on some recommendations about this brewery. I can only hope that their other offerings are better than this one.

2.11/5  rDev -40.9%

Highly recommended by the bartender at one of our local watering holes (I generally trust his recommendations) ...I'm a huge PA and IPA fan...this beer tasted like the beers was strained through a grass catching bag from a lawn mower...Poured attractive as typical pale, but as soon as the beer hits the inside of the mouth, the bitterness is more biting than appealing and therefore, brings most catagories into the not impressed range for me on this beer...the finish is a finish a long to forget.

2.12/5  rDev -40.6%

Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale poured a strawy yellow color, with very little head, but alot of bubbles from crabonatin. The smell was rather malty, and earthy, I was expecting and hoping for something hoppeir. The taste was very malty, but the hops arent noticable, ruins anything sweet from the malts, theres almost a harshness. The taste does stay on the paletee and thats almost unforntante, its harsh, a random bittners comes, but you dont get to enjoy a floral hoppy flavor. Overall I wish I could say some better things, I didnt like this one, I would avoid.

2.16/5  rDev -39.5%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, nice looking label. No date or ABV I could find.

Appearance: Slight haze and golden color, thin head but nice retention.

Smell: Slight sour note, and not in an appealing way. Some bready malt, and just a hint of floral hops.

Taste: I'm starting to think this may have been an old bottle, but without a date who can tell - so I'm reviewing it anyways. There is definitely a sour note to this - and it overpowers whatever flavors may be in there.

Overall impression: This beer is either past its prime, or just not good. Its still mildly drinkable, but there is an unpleasant sour note that takes away from whatever base flavors this beer has.

2.21/5  rDev -38.1%

A-Copper colored...light whisp of egg white head.

S- Very light...some bready notes... bit of citrus...very subdued.

T-Not real impressed. Some orange peel. Lemons.. Not much malt backbone.

M-Watery....light bodied...thin...

O-Shit the bottle had me excited...three different malts...thre different hops (probably not that much different from other PA's but it is good marketing)....the product is not very good though...the regular ST Pale Ale kicks the shit out of this. That is a decent beer. This is not. Stop brewing this would be my suggestion.

2.24/5  rDev -37.3%

This is probably Southern Tiers worst beer.

I love their other beers, but they missed the boat here. Make some more Pumpking, IPAs, or Imperials, don't even waste your time with this one. I never see people drinking it, and when they do they say they don't like it nearly as much as their other offerings.

2.24/5  rDev -37.3%

Advertised as having 3 types of malts, 3 types of hops. I was pretty excited. Color is clear yellow... with almost no head. The aroma was nice - sweet apricot and grains coming out. The taste was bready, earthy, and bitter, in a somewhat stale and off putting way. I almost didn't review this because I thought the bottle may have gone bad, but other reviews seem to suggest that's how it is... Pass on this one.

2.34/5  rDev -34.5%

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.

$1.50 / ea.

A: Bright golden body topped with a big rocky head of moderate retention that leaves a thick foamy lace, and dense cover.

S: Sweet malty aroma with hints of green apple and citrus. Hop aroma is light, but noticeable. A bit of a corn aroma peaks through as it warms.

T: Sweet malt that could definitely use more hops to balance. Again corn flavors rear their ugly head. Aftertaste is minimal but the sweetness can be a bit overbearing.

M: Medium body with high carbonation. Smooth body with a bubble bite at the end.

D: Too sweet for my taste, and not all that interesting in the nose or mouth. I wouldn't pay for this again, but I didn't dump it in the sink.

O: Disappointing selection from a brewery that normally impresses me.

2.39/5  rDev -33.1%

Attractive label, but no freshness dating.

Pours a very hazy orangish-yellow with a small white head that doesn't stick around, but leaves lace. Smell is a pleasant peppery orange with Lucky Charm marshmallows. Bland damp dank dull vegetable and oatmeal flavors churn on the tongue until an astringent bitterness gives a bite as it turns to a watery finish. Seem like sloppy hop usage, possibly the with the awful Amarillo virus. Feel is light and slick. Not impressed.

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

Serving type: bottle into a Stella Artois glass

Pours a straw color with an off-white head. Definitely too light for an American Pale Ale in my opinion. I expected it to be an American IPA but was totally thrown off at the beginning. Aroma was ok. Pretty standard aroma with fruity American hops. Slight hints of piney or earthy notes from the hops as well.

Taste was not good. Had either under-attenuated or was just old or something. Was way too sweet for a hoppy type beer. Hardly any bitterness to speak of with some hop flavor that saves it from total terribleness. Mouthfeel is pretty standard for a pale ale but nothing great. Definitely not too drinkable.

Overall i was very unimpressed with this beer. It was just not pleasurable to drink. I would not recommend it to anyone else and probably wouldn't buy it again.

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

This was a decent beer in the beginning, but came on with a nasty bitter punch in the end. Didn’t finish well.

Appearance: Darker than an average lager.

Smell: General beer smell, slightly more aroma than say a Coors light.

Taste: Not bad in the beginning, but as it warmed, and breathed, it became very bitter, way to much hops for not being an IPA.

Mouth feel: Not bad.

Drinkability: Definitely not a six packer for me, maybe one here or there.

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

2.51/5  rDev -29.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Nice brass hue. Average lacing and head. Many large bubbles that rise quickly.

S- Confusing and indistinct hop and malt flavors. Hard to pin down what your nose picks up at any one time. A synthetic orange dominates, with a weak malty essence also breaking through.

T- Taste is well rounded and pleasant. Indistinct fruitiness dominates. Carbonation distracts from other flavors.

M- Watery feel, with too much carbonation.

D- Again way too much carbonation, it distracts from the other average qualities of the ale.

2.54/5  rDev -28.9%

Are you kidding me? My expectations WAY exceeded what this beer delivered. Started OK. It poured a 1.5" white head with average fade speed. The body though clear straw yellow was at least darker than the BMCs. Smell seemed like it was going to be good - with IPA strength hops and grapefruit accents. But the taste, that's where it fell down. I found this completely unmatching of the smell, rather watery, and it has a strange bitterness to it which I wouldn't liken to any tasty hop I've had. This is "Extraordinary Ale"? Really? I genuinely like or love many of the bold flavor bomb beers Southern Tier puts out. But I just don't get this ale folks. Maybe I got a bad sample?!

2.56/5  rDev -28.3%

Golden amber in color with a thin white head. Smells orange heavy citrus and doughy malt. There is an over-ripe sweetness in the aroma that leads me to believ that this isn't going to taste good. And it doesn't. I've actually had a couple of these just in case I had got a bad bottle, but alas, this is what the brewers were shooting for and I guess they succeeded. I'm not a fan. Fruity sweet in the middle followed by a balnd caramel malt and subtle bitterness. Its medium bodied and perfectly carbonated. Its not very drinkable. Maybe I'm going heavy on personal preference on this review, but the blend of malts and hops just aren't working for me. I'd suggest skipping this one.

2.56/5  rDev -28.3%

This beer poured with an extraordinarily aggressive head that showed a great deal of reliance. There was a decent amount of lacing that remained.

The beer is a very light amber color with some visible carbonation. Also it's slightly hazy.

Aroma is malty sweet with a small off odor, something reminiscent of homebrew. The beer isn't spoiled; it's just a smell that I remember from the homebrew days

Taste is very malt like in character and also a bit grainy or raw. I also taste the same flavor that I had detected in the aroma earlier. I now swear this tastes like a "pretty good" homebrew effort, but one that shouldn't really be called extraordinary on a professional level. Slight astringent and/or medicinal quality to the flavor.

Mouth feel is fairly light and I don't find it very drinkable.

I will not be buying another of these.

2.58/5  rDev -27.7%

Meh. Trite story and a beer to match. That's really surprising from Southern Tier. Served with a small off white head that settled down and no lace. Color is a copper amber. Aroma is malt, caramel, a little honey, spice, and hop. Flavor has a little more sweetness coming out along with a little hop. Body is ok and so is carbonation. Finish is like flavor and kind of short. A yawner.

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%

If this APA encompasses enough outstanding traits to be deemed extraordinary this shall be fun, like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure fun.

It pours an amber hue with filtered clarity. I really had to molest the pour to get any head out of it, as it was starting out relatively flat. However, the retention and lace of what I did get is fairly decent.

Slight skunky bitterness and diacetyls are pilsner-esque in the aroma. The hop profile is herbal, seems of noble variety, but rather vague and subdued. Oktoberfest toasty and spicy qualities mixed with a lager-like tinny twang confuse me further as to what's going on in here.

The Munich lager theme from the nose get's further portrayed in the taste. Clean, but uninspiring is the theme in here. The banana, vanilla, earthy finish is really all that denotes any sort of character. A relatively watery body further denotes that this one doesn't have much oomph.

Not sure what a solid club like Southern Tier was after with this one, it is not extraordinary by any stretch. It's easy to drink and there is nothing offensive about it, but it just seems like a lost puppy with no pedigree.

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass:

A: Pours fairly clear light copper with about a finger of bubbly clear/white head. Leaves a little lacing, not the greatest of head retention.

S: Earthy and floral hops, pale malt. Subdued.

T: Mostly light earthy hops with a little pale malt. Not very hoppy and the malt base is rather thin. Finish is clean with a hint of malt and bitterness. Rather dull, bland, and empty. At least there isn't much alcohol taste, though there are some esters that almost have a metallic quality in the finish.

M: Light body, highly carbonated. It's basically seltzer water.

O: Phin & Matt's 'Extraordinary' Ale? Not so much. This isn't even ordinary, let alone extraordinary. This is about the weakest APA I've ever had out of a microbrewery. On the bright side, at least it's not offensive at all. It's basically seltzer water that someone dropped a slice of toast in. So far Southern Tier is 0 for 2 on their 'regular ABV' lineup. Love their big beers though.

2.61/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light amber color. Moderate head, some lacing.

Smells like sweet caramel. Tastes like a malty mess, with a slight hint of bitterness. Caramel malts is about as much as I can get out of it. I'm thinking this was an old bottle.

Mouthfeel is fine, but I don't think I even want to finish this one glass. It just isn't very tasty for an APA. Not what I expected. I'll probably try another bottle next time I see one just to give it a fair shot.

2.62/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured a semi hazy golden orange from a brown bottle into a pub glass. Smallish less then an inch of head forms off a rigorous pour. Bits of lace rings line the glass.

Aroma is a bit off though, and leads the way for my dislike towards this brew. It smells of some mild cereal grains, brown suger sweetness mixing with a dab of caramel. But there is an off aroma in there for me. I though it was just maybe the first bottle, but its been this way for the whole six pack. It smells like rotting sour apples. Some mild hops in there, but really not much from hops in aroma.

Taste is fairly decent upfront with plenty of malty sweetness, cereal grains, bittering hops. Its a decent apa in flavor. However just smidge of that off aroma leaks into flavor and its around the middle before the swallow...sour apples.
Returning into the linger with an apple juice taste. Not appealing to me one bit and really turns me off to this one.

Mouthfeel is good for the style and carbonation bite is kept at bay, making this a solid feeling brew.

Had it not been for those off flavors I'd be rateing this much higher. I wont be drinking this one again.

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle and served in a shaker. This pale ale poured a fairly clear golden amber hue with a thin head of beige foam that settled into a lasting film. Some nice, even lacing was left around the glass. The aroma consisted of mild caramel, dried oranges, and citrus. The flavor included thin malts and faint citrus. A bland mix of caramel and oranges. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied and had moderate carbonation. Bland and amazingly dull.

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with slight yellowish hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger foamy white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Very faint floral hop aroma with some citrus notes and a caramel malt backbone. Very bland.

Once again the flavor is bland and uninspiring. Watered down and thin bodied with subtle floral and citrus hops and a caramel malt backbone. This beer is well balanced but is pretty boring with not much interesting going on. The hops are not very bitter and only have a slight touch of citrus fruit. A pretty drinkable session beer but I wouldn't seek it out again.

2.64/5  rDev -26.1%

I got this in a the Southern Tier Variety Case from Bryn Mawr Beverage in Bryn Mawr, PA and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: A huge white head on top of a very cloudy goldish body. The lacing was good and the retention was fine but the carbonation was very extreme.
Smell: A stale malt aroma with hints of earthy hops.
Taste: Its hard to get past the carbonation, but once you can then there are orange esters and earthy hops.
Mouthfeel: Bubbly.
Drinkability: Not awesome.
Don't drink and review.

2.65/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Clear pale bronze-yellow with a small white cap. Some decent lace sticks to the glass, but this looks pretty unimpressive.

S - Pilser-esque spicy hops and a noticeable lack of a good malt base. I honestly thought that this might be a pilsener, until I saw "ale" on the label.

T - Thin acrid hops that seem out of place in a pale ale. This has a Heineken-like funk to it that I don't at all care for. Not a terrible brew, but way off base in terms of style.

M - Light in body and overcarbonated. This is crisp and refreshing, but otherwise not all that great.

D - A decent beer with hints of something that is way out of place, namely noble hops. This isn't a bad beer in it's own right, but it's not very good for a pale ale.

Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale from Southern Tier Brewing Company