Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale - Southern Tier Brewing Company

good

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: wailingwench on 10-29-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -64.6%

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

2.05/5  rDev -41.9%

Orangey body with a white bubbley head that just pops away.

Casacde hops take up most of the scent.I almost smell Tea.I dont know why but that smell comes to my mind.

Again Tea comes to the taste now.Could this beer be bad?I taste some of the malt, the malt keeps the hops tied together.Could the tea taste be the malt?

Easy going down with easy carbonation as well.

Not bad but not to my fancy.I dont think i'll have it again.I'll pass next time.

2.05/5  rDev -41.9%

The aroma of this beer was either oxidation or an intentional aroma produced by hops or yeast. The aroma was cardboardy, almost skunked. Either way, all of the bottles in this six-pack were not very pleasant. The body of the beer was thin and the presence of hops is negligable. I bought this beer expecting more based on some recommendations about this brewery. I can only hope that their other offerings are better than this one.

2.1/5  rDev -40.5%

Highly recommended by the bartender at one of our local watering holes (I generally trust his recommendations) ...I'm a huge PA and IPA fan...this beer tasted like the beers was strained through a grass catching bag from a lawn mower...Poured attractive as typical pale, but as soon as the beer hits the inside of the mouth, the bitterness is more biting than appealing and therefore, brings most catagories into the not impressed range for me on this beer...the finish is a finish a long to forget.

2.1/5  rDev -40.5%

Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale poured a strawy yellow color, with very little head, but alot of bubbles from crabonatin. The smell was rather malty, and earthy, I was expecting and hoping for something hoppeir. The taste was very malty, but the hops arent noticable, ruins anything sweet from the malts, theres almost a harshness. The taste does stay on the paletee and thats almost unforntante, its harsh, a random bittners comes, but you dont get to enjoy a floral hoppy flavor. Overall I wish I could say some better things, I didnt like this one, I would avoid.

2.15/5  rDev -39.1%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, nice looking label. No date or ABV I could find.

Appearance: Slight haze and golden color, thin head but nice retention.

Smell: Slight sour note, and not in an appealing way. Some bready malt, and just a hint of floral hops.

Taste: I'm starting to think this may have been an old bottle, but without a date who can tell - so I'm reviewing it anyways. There is definitely a sour note to this - and it overpowers whatever flavors may be in there.

Overall impression: This beer is either past its prime, or just not good. Its still mildly drinkable, but there is an unpleasant sour note that takes away from whatever base flavors this beer has.

2.17/5  rDev -38.5%

A-Copper colored...light whisp of egg white head.

S- Very light...some bready notes... bit of citrus...very subdued.

T-Not real impressed. Some orange peel. Lemons.. Not much malt backbone.

M-Watery....light bodied...thin...

O-Shit the bottle had me excited...three different malts...thre different hops (probably not that much different from other PA's but it is good marketing)....the product is not very good though...the regular ST Pale Ale kicks the shit out of this. That is a decent beer. This is not. Stop brewing this would be my suggestion.

2.2/5  rDev -37.7%

This is probably Southern Tiers worst beer.

I love their other beers, but they missed the boat here. Make some more Pumpking, IPAs, or Imperials, don't even waste your time with this one. I never see people drinking it, and when they do they say they don't like it nearly as much as their other offerings.

2.2/5  rDev -37.7%

Advertised as having 3 types of malts, 3 types of hops. I was pretty excited. Color is clear yellow... with almost no head. The aroma was nice - sweet apricot and grains coming out. The taste was bready, earthy, and bitter, in a somewhat stale and off putting way. I almost didn't review this because I thought the bottle may have gone bad, but other reviews seem to suggest that's how it is... Pass on this one.

Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale from Southern Tier Brewing Company