Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 12-17-2004

Reviews: 678 | Hads: 1,360

Nice dark black coldr like a beer should be. A thick tan head that dissapates quickly. Smells and tastes of chocolate and vanilla. Smooth feeling in the mouth for as strong as it is. 11%. Overall an excellent beer to drink and share with your friends

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

A : Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a very thin tan head that disappears real quickly

S : Great aroma...roasted malts, oats, and an underlying sweetness

T : Good roasted malt flavors along with the oats. Some bitter chocolate flavor. A nice sweetness throughout the glass also

M : Full-bodied, creamy, smooth

D : Extremely easy to drink. I had no idea it was 12.5%.

4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

A -very black with very little tan/khaki head

S-dark chocolate, licorice.. oats, molasses.. coffee

T- dark chocolate yet light and creamy..licorice.. oats.. coffee notes.. strong and bold

M- medium thick body, not very carbonated, initial sweetness.. slightly bitter finnish.. hard to telk this one is 11% abv

O- a pleasant stout, must have.. gotta try! i recommend this beer!

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%

Beautiful inch thick head on the pour from this imperial stout, and the was pour very thick (what's better?) and left a nice lacey tan head after it settled. Smell was very good, a ton of aromas with chocolate and carmel dominating. Taste was amazing, a lot of things going on in my mouth. Very full bodied with dark chocolately malt taste with a hint of molasses. Minor tones of alcohol in the backround. This stout finished clean and I thought I could sense some hoppy undertones at the end, but now that I'm halfway done with a pint I'm not tasting it anymore. This is everything I think an imperial stout should be. Exceptional beer and I recommend it and will definetely drink again. I can't wait.

4.89/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Served from a growler. (Charleston Beer Exchange)

A: Very dark, basically black with a light brown head that dissipates quickly.

S: Smells sweet, like chocolate I did not find the aroma too complex.

M: Slightly viscous and creamy its just what to expect while drinking an imperial stout.

T: Amazing! This has to be one of my favorite stouts. It starts with sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, slight coffee taste and perhaps a touch of caramel. With being 11% abv, they did a good job with masking the alcohol, you can tell its there but just a hint on the back end. Also the oats adds its own dimension, I'd say it contribute mostly to the creaminess to this brew.

Overall: I gave it a 5 mostly due to the fact that since having the beer I believe this is how stouts should be made in the past I have had (hoppier stouts) while they are good too, this Southern Tier Oat Stout changes the perspective. The chocolate and creamy/sweetness made for a real treat I will be buying this again.

How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.

Almost a completely jet black fills the glass that no light could ever penetrate...very small off white head disappears way too quickly. A tease to the alcohol inside.

Aromas are chocolate...dark chocolate...sweet dark chocolate...coffee...espresso...touch of hops and alcohol.

Taste is as it smells....but more so. The sweet dark chocolate is so intense it is decadent and sinful...the espresso is just enough to balance the chocolate, and the alcohol at the end reminds you this is one very potent and substantial dessert.

Mouthfeel is as creamy and smooth as a dessert should be.

Everything about this beer is...
...decadent, sinful, and worth the price of the sin.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm pretty new to the craft beer world. So as I was grabbing some Creme Brulee out of the cooler at my local pub, I also saw something called "oat". Cool, I've had some oatmeal stouts I've liked. And Southern Tier makes some other fantastic stuff, lets give this a try.... Bottle date is 9-19-2012. So I'm assuming this stuff is good for a few years.

Look: Not much head, may be due to it's 11% ABV. The little head you do get qucikly disappears and you're left with a very dark liquid. A little brownish red around the edges. Takes some aggressive swirling to make a head reappear only to leave as soon as it gets there.

Smell: Oats, alcohol, coffee, chocolate. Very "imperial stout" - ish. Maybe because it is one. Very sweet aroma.

Taste: I don't get much oatmeal taste. The first thing I notice is the alcohol, with an aftertaste of mainly coffee, but a little bit of hops. I really like the beer due to it's coffee aftertaste and the alcohol being up front. It has a very sweet overall taste to it, and the only way I can describe it is that it tastes like a good imperial stout.

Feel: Creamy, full bodied for sure. One of the thicker, creamier beers I've had.

Overall: I've heard talk that this beer is going to be retired. And that's a shame. I hope this isn't true. It, along with Creme Brulee, are some of my favorites from the Blackwater Series. I have yet to try Mokah which I'm looking forward to. But "oat" is great. Of all the oatmeal stouts I've had, it's number 1.

4.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. This is a huge hit for me: as far as my palate goes this hits exactly the right mix for this style - it's sumptuous to drink, has a fantastic bitter chocolate middle taste and a lovely burnt long-lasting aftertaste. The alcohol warmth comes in at the end - very well apportioned. It's really full on the mouthfeel - and it doesn't hit you as overly sugary - a preference for me.
Great stuff - got it in NJ for $10 650ml - I will get a case plus of this no problem at all.
Let third of the bottle sit in the fridge overnight - not much changed, and still a real pleasure to drink.
Way to go southern tier.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance - pours a deep cola color, no light is getting through this one. A thin mocha layer of bubbles above leaves a few dots of lace, but holds a solid collar.

Aroma - big aromas of roasted grain and coffee, and bittersweet cocoa powder. Rich but not necessarily intense and heavy. Good resilience as the beer sets up.

Taste - huge roasted grain opening, a lucious mouthful of espresso and dark chocolate. Some light char on the swallow enhances the black malts further. The aftertaste is like a shot of straight espresso. Finishes with a smoldering abv warmth and an enticing blend of the roasty grain, chocolate, and rich coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel - velvety smooth, restrained carbonation, and a big body. Complements the flavors perfectly.

Drinkability - for an 11% brew, this is unbelievably drinkable. Fresh, it is phenomenal; aged - we'll see, but not anytime soon. A fine beer to toast the Steelers in their Superbowl XLIII win. Well done guys.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

A- Poured pretty hard and got a slow rising mocha head about 1" thick laying on top of a pitch black body.
S- I was expecting the oatmeal to be pretty much hidden in this but the oatmeal comes through nice and strong with a ton of chocolate. Light roasted aroma but it's mostly just a ton of chocolate with a ton of oatmeal. I can't even imagine how much oatmeal they would of had to put in this to make it come through in such a strong beer. Alcohol also tickles the nose just a little along with some grass hops.
T- Woah! Each sip is just amazing. A crap load of chocolate blended with a ton of oats. Grass hops manage to make their way through and give a medium bitterness on tongue along with lingering chocolate and the newly arrived coffee. The alcohol slowly builds up and eventually heats up the throat but does so in a calming and soothing way. Hints of caramel sweetness manage to peak its head out.
M-Just a perfect mouthfeel for this brew. Thick, chewy, creamy, and smooth. Just one of those ones you want to chew on going down.
D- This has made it to one of my favorite beers out there. The only flaw I can see in it (for my taste) is the bit of coffee in the aftertaste. If this was bourbon barrel aged I doubt you could find a beer as good as this one.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

A - Poured a deep black that produced a brown head that retained well and laced the glass nicely

S - Smells like oatmeal, but since I eat it every morning (literally), it might be dominating my sense

T - Like sitting down for breakfast for coffee and oatmeal, but then pouring the coffee in the oatmeal, stirring, and then eating. If that really clears it up, but what can I say, I enjoy both

M - Thick, in the way it sticks to your throat on the way down, with little carbonation

D - Possibly my favorite oatmeal stout, which is why it gets the 5 for taste

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

The pour is absolutely black with a thin caramel head. The smell is of rich dark chocolate, hickory, and a small hint of dark fruit at the end.
Now to taste. Rich, dry chocolate covers the palate, followed by smoky burnt malt, with a similar bite to scotch ales. If you can stay with me, the mouth feel is very ashy, and has some pleasant bitterness. The alcohol sticks around, but isn't anything too powerful. Sum it up with dried fruit and an unbelievable light clean finish and you have yourself one of the best new imperial stouts I've had the pleasure of consuming. Seems the southern tier is getting raised higher and higher.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Bottle lists 11.0% abv, I'll try and make an update.
Pours a completely opaque black beer with a quarter inch of head that quickly sinks to a slim covering of cappucino colored tracing. Aromas are carried by a strong alcohol presence. Lots of earthy, rich and deep notes come through, mostly chocolate, cream soda, vanilla, a little light oak, and a bunch of milled oatmeal. It's really nothing like any RIS I've had as I would compare it to; not as roasty or chocolaty, but still with some slight port like notes. On the palate, this beer explodes! Minimal carbonation fills your mouth with a heavy slickness of chocolate, oatmeal, some slight lactose like notes. It is incredible smooth as the high percentage of oats would do and the finish is very long, very smooth with some slight roasty bitterness. A little bit of an herbal touch is felt from the hops, columbus bringing citrus and willamette a little floral. Overall, this is an overwhelmingly good beer and I'm scared to rate it so high. My first from this brewery and hopefully the rest will live up to this one.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a solid black with no head, looks like heavily used lightweight motor oil. Aroma is smooth and sweet, tons of malt with notes of chocolate and molasses. Taste is dominated by malt, oatmeal and chocolate malts are prominent. The taste is not even remotely bitter, it is a refined sludge of several malts that highlights chocolate and molasses. Great mouthfeel, very full and smooth while being extra thick - also extremely drinkable due to the near lack of bitterness.

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

This truly is an outstanding stout. It Poured almost pitch black with a white head. It had beautiful lacing, I mean truly beautiful. aromas of coffee, chocolate, oats, and hops were all present. heavy in the mouth with light carbonation. alcohol is detectable in the palate, but only after flavors of chocolate, caramel and chocolate are enjoyed. the finish kept me wanting more and I was saddened by the last sip. This is my first experience with southern tier and I enjoyed it very much. I highly recommend this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

Wow - this beer was amazing. I'm a huge fan of stouts, and this is certainly one of my favorites. It might even replace Sam Smith's as my favorite Oatmeal Stout.

The >11% ABV is dangerously well hidden.

I'm hoping to get this on tap at home at some point. In the meantime, I'm certainly picking up another bottle or two.

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

Aroma is strong and smoky with an overtone of molasses and a hint of quality coffee. It pours a rich opaque sable, like any good stout, with a fairly thick and fine-bubbled tan head that leaves some substantial, if not persistent, lacing. Flavor is fabulous - fine roast coffee, sweet chocolate, molasses, and a hint of hops. The sweetness is not cloying or overpowering, and the touch of hop bitterness balances this nicely. Lively texture is quite fizzy and leaves behind a good tingle, along with molasses sweetness and a little hop bitterness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black...an 8-ball in the glass. I'd give it a 5 but the head was pretty lame. Medium brown, but fleeting. No retention.

It actually smells sweet. You can almost smell the creamy oats. Very malty and rich.

Tastes fantastic. Malts galore, very roasty. Slight bittersweet chocolate and coffee.

Extremely creamy. Very rich. Medium bodied. Sweet, but not overly so. Bitter, but not overly so.

The best Southern Tier offering I've had. One of the best beers I've had. Tastes more like a porter, but a great stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

awesome brew! love southern tier, they make some of the best beers around as far as I'm concerned

a - thick black, little or no head

s - alcohol, chocolate, sweet raisin

t - gorgeously chocolatey, alcoholy with a sweetness that rises to the top of the palate in a smokey finish. balanced bitterness that clings a bit to the tongue

m - smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. full bodied

d - not something I would drink two in a row of, but definitely a great beer for a cold night

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a stemmed glass.

The color is a complete black with no light getting through with a nice foamy brown head with some nice lacing.

The smell is pretty strong with oat presence and a pretty nice malty sweetness. Some hop flavor does come through on the second go around.

The taste is a sweet with a biscuit feel. There is some nice mixing of a bitter hop and a bit of a sweet maltyness that really comes across quite well.

The feel of this beer pretty easy drinking and has a medium body to it. This does have a bit of a kick but it an Imperial Oatmeal Stout. A really great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark brown to black in Yeti snifter. Tan head that lingers longer than usual for this style.

Smell is toasted malt, chocolate, molasses, ripe fruit and a little coffee. Very inviting.

Taste follows the smell well. Lots of chocolate and sweet malt. Gets even sweeter as it warms. Molasses present and just a slight hint of bitterness in the finish. Very complex.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily. Very smooth.

Overall this was absolutely superb! Wish I had bought a case of these.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a black, black oh so black with a mocha tan head that left some thick lacing. The smell is a little sweet fruit over dark chocolate and double shot of espresso. The taste is very intense and there is a lot going on. The dark choco and espresso is right up front with some dark fruits and a little boozy barrel aged aftertaste. The alcohol wasn't overpowering but this did taste a little like bourbon. It makes it even more amazing. The mouthfeel was very thick and chewy which made it more of a sipper but was still drinkable and I could definitely do another bottle.

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Under "serving type" I chose "cask" because there's no option for "fermentor." Served by one of the southern tier brewing staff straight from the fermentor before bottling had begun for the year (Oct 2010).

Creamy smooth, roasted, chocolately taste with just enough of a presence of alcohol to know it's there. Sweet sugary/caramel scent that also hinted at the ABV. Not much more to say except it was an excellent, uncarbonated experience to have with an Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- This head seems to start late but it is a bit vigorous when it does. Lots of initial fizziness but doesn't create too much head. It is dissipating quickly and is leaving no lacing. It's a tan, mocha colored head with a dark chocolate black body. It's quite a pretty beer.

Nose- This jumps out at you with initial sweetness of cherries and chocolate that moves into coconut. This is vanilla, this is toffee, this is caramel, this is everything that makes up my favorite beers. There is a slight alcohol burn but it is 11%- and who am I to complain? Even some honey too. This has lots of candy and sugar in it. I could sniff it all day long.

Taste- All that was in the nose is pretty much reflected with the addition of the bitter woodiness of the hops. This is coconut, this is cherry, chocolate, and a fair amount of alcohol. This baby has some burn. It tastes like a macaroon. Very well balanced and the alcohol is necessary. It would be a weaker beer without it.

Mouthfeel- Heavy but not syrupy. Very creamy and not too much carbonation. This is a delight on the tongue.

Drinkability- This is an incredibly dangerous beer. Its flavor profile is inviting, its alcohol burn is inviting. It begs to be abused. It should be a sipper but I don't think it will last as long as it should.

Overall- Definite A/A+. I really like this beer. It does everything an imperial stout should and more. The oat balances this perfectly and draws all of its complexity in together. It also provides the slight grittiness to give a unique mouthfeel which informs a solid beer. Great beer. Will buy again.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

A-Blackish brown...tan/amber head...

S-Quite impressive....rich and sweet....chocolate...roasted malts...very appealing vanilla...a little caramel....some dark fruits and rum....tremendously complex....AWESOME aroma

T-Milk chocolate....roasted malts...."tia maria" liquor...maple...nougat...dark fruits...plums, black cherries...figs....boozy to a point...finish with a spicy gain alcohol kick.

M-Like fucking velvet...smooth and as creamy a beer as I've ever had....full bodied...definitely a sipper.

D-Right up there with the best of the best....a slight grainy alcoholic feel is the only minor complaint...now listed at 11.0% rather than 12.5% Maybe they are working on that...might be even better at 10%...nevertheless this is a hell of a beer. I'm not sure where the scores will place it but it feels like a top 25-50 beer of all-time for me. (Note: I just checked it is tied for # 72 out of 1302 on my list....about right)

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company