Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 12-17-2004

Reviews: 678 | Hads: 1,360
1.5/5  rDev -63.2%

This is my first beer from Southern Tier. I really like oatmeal stouts, and I like some RIS, so I was hoping for a slam-dunk.

A- I poured the second glass out of the bottle straight down into a tulip and *still* didn't get enough head to cover the surface of the beer. It is nearly completely still. Swirling it is like swirling motor oil, no head comes up and only a slight skin forms on top, eventually.

S- very generic "oh look we made an RIS" aroma. roasted malts with a hint of sweetness and more than a hint of alcohol. nothing new or outside of the bog-standard, here, though. this is where I started getting worried.

T- bad. it tastes bad. it tastes like chewing on coffee beans that have turned to charcoal in the middle, or the completely carbonized chicken skin that has gone past 'chared' and way out the other side. the non-burnt flavors are beaten into submission in short order.

M- very good mouthfeel, but then no smoothness at all on the swallow. putting it in the middle.

D- terrible.

this is a textbook example of someone trying too hard on a beer that they just weren't prepared to make. the oatmeal was a good idea, but it was poorly implemented, and the entire beer is just a hodge-podge of mediocrity and crappyness. I have no idea why this is so highly rated, this beer is a perfect example of what is wrong with Big Beers brewed simply for the sake of being Big, not for the sake of making beer worth drinking.

1.84/5  rDev -54.9%

Oat | 650 ml. | 11.0% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Southern Tier Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial Stout
Glass: pint

Coal black with a small mocha head

Roasty and malty

Ahh... eck... ewh. This was completely unpalatable. Because the brewer has no bottling or "best before" date I can't tell if the beer is just stale. There's a strong, sour milk and burning oats taste backed by alcohol... not my idea of a good beer.

Medium-bodied but relatively thin in the mouth.

Not a fan of the stale milk flavor. This destroyed the balance.

Would I get it again?:
No, unless I hear something good about it from a trusted friend. In that case, I might try it again.

Bottled: ??
Served: January 19, 2011

1.94/5  rDev -52.5%

this was awful and disappointing.

A - pitch black, modest head. Needed a vigorous pour to elicit even a moderate head. Viscous look.

S - chocolatly sweetness on the nose - toffee and caramel. Cloying

T - absolutely cloying and terrible. I couldn't drink more than two little sips and I LOVE stouts (rogue's chocolate stout is the best i've had lately). This was waaay over the top sweet and not drinkable in the least - had to pour it down the drain.

M - viscous and sugary. Not nice.

D - worse than awful - had to pour it down the drain. Sweetness is over the top and totally out of balance. Absolutely terrible and disappointing considering this wasn't cheap.

1.96/5  rDev -52%

Appearance - A pitch black brew with average lacing. No froth or head on this one. It looks quite thick and powerful in a way.

Smell - Not much going on here. It of course smells of oats. It has hints of slight cocoa, but not much else.

Taste - A slightly bitter oat stout; surprisingly not much chocolate. Medium bodied and extraordinarily dry. Very very alcoholic.

Mouthfeel - Absolutely horrible. Just an awful ethanol taste.

Drinkability - By the end, this was just barely sippable for me.

Verdict - I personally did not enjoy this beer at all. The first sip or two were interesting. But after that, it was just painful for me to drink. The 11% alcohol did not balance well with the rest of the ingredients.

2.43/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours pitch purple-black, with a typical looking head which had to be forced a little. Head falls fast, although it left a few thick scraps of lacing. Smell is extremely sweet, bready, and busy, with chocolate, ash, butterscotch, and a bevy of strong dark fruit notes. Although there's a lot going on, the overall bouquet isn't proving especially pleasant, just sort of weird.

Taste is also very fruity and sweet, downright candy-ish for a stout, in fact; but with some noticeable alcohol bite at the end, which clashes a bit with the cloying upfront sweetness. Syrupy mouthfeel. This is certainly flavorful enough, with a lot going on, but it's way too sugary tasting for my liking; I'm getting sick of it fast as I drink. If you're seeking a super-sweet, syrupy, yet very alcoholic-tasting stout, this one is for you. If that sounds sort of gross, well ... it is. It's complex enough to warrant a taste -- the complexity leaves me feeling open to trying other beers from this brewer -- so if it is a failure, it's at least an ambitious failure. But I can't recommend this particular beer very highly in and of itself. C+ or so, though BA's system scores it out even lower.

2.54/5  rDev -37.7%

The deep black beer shows tiny crescents of ruby red shining through the bottom of the glass.

The smell seems to be earthy, maybe even a little bit green - not nearly the well-rounded and sweetly-malted version I was expecting.

Those virtues do come through a bit more in the mouth, but the green-ness is also emphasized - I think that's the oats - are they under-roasted, or just coming through that way?

Even the roasted qualities that are here are burnt to the point of being off-putting - some bitter is good, but burnt bitter, not so good.

Even the carbonation seems to be somewhat flat, boring, and simply lifeless.

Not only will this beer fall to the bottom of my list, but it makes me second guess the brewery just a bit.

2.71/5  rDev -33.6%

Dark cola brownish-black color. Arrived with neither head nor even the courtesy of a thin retentive collar. Just a few sojourn foam wisps twirling in the snifter center. Bummer.

Roasted malt and dark vinous fruit aroma with a vanilla bean lean. Scents aren't exactly erupting from the glass. Taste is a roast malt and red grape edges soaked in something sweet, cloying, and wholly unpleasant - like thin molasses or hazelnut extract. Mouthfeel goes beyond oaty smooth, and is almost oily.

With 11% ABV I was expecting something bold and bursting with flavor to be smoothed out and refined by a year of cellaring. Maybe it doesn't age well?

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

Pours almost no head. Thin ring of light borwn tiny bubbles. Pitch lquid. Smells caramel and roast. Grassy hoppy and alcohol edgy.

Tastes thick sweet with strong hop grassya nd noticable alcohol burn. Carbonation is much stronger in the mouth than during the pour. Malt flavor is burnt and some coffee. Hopsa are grassy and blend with a vodka-like alcohol. Some hop blackberry flavor, so I'd guess Norther Brewer. Syrupy sweet aftertaste with some rubbing alcohol. Thick body. Not very drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

You know, this started out with some wonderful caramel-toffee roasted malt flavor, but towards the end of the bomber, it stated to really have a nasty bitter aftertaste for some reason. Very difficult to finish. Full-bodied, on the sweet side, but a bad aftertaste.

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

'Tis "black as a moonless night," but the tan head resembles more of a sun-soaked Irish girl than perhaps a California blonde. In other words, it's white with only a tinge. The nose, as you'd expect, is oaty. In this world of evermore, I can't help but want chocolate and coffee. Oh how I love beer and coffee....

Love the smooth oaty feel. I bet I could put my own sunburned Scotch-Irish ass in a tub full of this and it'd soothe and heal me! There is a bit of harshness in the aftertaste especially, a measure of this abv. Why's it got to be so strong, anyway? Oh yeah...evermore.

I taste oats. Go figure. I taste Willamette hops. Are they white? For a beer so dark, it tastes so pale. It's a bit of a disappointing dichotomy. It's like the bitter hops only prevent a sweet-candied, molassy mess. It's strong, and mostly smooth, but it's ehh.... There's just nothing neat about. To be frank, it's forgettable.

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

This beer is a damn fine looking beer that makes you want to drink it. Beer doesn't smell half bad either with notes of chocolate and fruit. It actually smells like a belguim quadrupel ale (abt 12). Unfortunately for me I don't like sweet beers and this one is very sweet. Too sweet actually, if you like sweet and even fruity beers this one is for you, otherwise stay away.

Southern Tier delivers again. This beer is ver dark, almost an opaque black. It was lightly carbonated, and had roasted malst on the nose, as well as oatmeal and caramel. Its flavour was also oatmeal, with a bit of toffee and nuts. I'd seek out again!

Serving Type: Bottle

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours very dark, mocha head. Nose is dark fruits and mild roast. Taste- low roast, plum/prunes, molasses. Finish is very cardboardy, seems as if father time has not been kind as oxidation has settled in. Mouthfeel is thick with the oats leading the way and boozy heat. Drinkability suffers considerable from the booze and oxidized taste. Too had as I had higher expectations.

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Bomber split between two tulips.

This baby is opaque black and holding to light reveals...nothing. Thin tan head is dense but does not stay for long. Lacing is minimal.

Slight chocolaty aroma, with a good does of some sweet, over-ripe, rotten fruit. Not unpleasant, but rotten fruit nonetheless. Taste is big with alcohol, hot biter chocolate, and burning, decaying fruit...picture bees swarming around the rotten sweetness. Sorry to keep going back to this. Still not unpleasant.

It does have a nice smooth, slick feel...before the alcohol burn kicks in. Not terribly viscous and it does feel thin. This beer would be good at the above 9.6%...too bad the bottle says 11.0%.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Pours black with a small tan head upon pouring that reduces very quickly, leaving a bubbly ring on top. Not muh lacing at all.

S: A little bit of roasted malt, a good bit of cream (kind of like a sweet stout), a little chocolate and oats, but also a little bit of a buttery aroma.

T: More of the same, some chocolate and a little bit of oat, but beyond that not much. The buttery flavor shows up a little bit at the end.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Rather boring overall. Had high hopes based on my experience with the rest of the blackwater series, but this one fell flat for me.

3.1/5  rDev -24%

From the bottle, I found this to be a lackluster pour with only a light head created even when the velocity and distance were increased. Head retention was virtually nonexistent, as was residual lacing; not necessarily what I'd expect from a thick, double-strength stout. The dark brow-black hue of the beverage was pleasant, lending this beer an appealing, though not extraordinary appearance.

The scent was equally unimpressive, fairly astringent with a readily accessible alcohol profile. Perhaps my expectations for sampling chocolate or coffee were not high enough, for I simply could not find any in this offering.

After partaking of the scent, I tasted this brew with mixed feelings. Unfortunately, my consternation was found to be warranted as this beer is rather unbalanced and skewed. The alcohol was clearly in the forefront, dominating all else; a clear faux paus. The oat sweetness was virtually nonexistent, as were indications of the dark fruit embodied in a normal imperial stout (and, as an aficionado of the so-called dark fruits, I can say that there is little here in the way to interpret with). What I detected was simple: alcohol followed by a meager malt profile attached to some rather delectable hops. Again, not a poor specimen, but rather average.

Mouthfeel was satisfactory, smooth and somewhat creamy with a low amount of carbonation in the throat. An acceptable beer, but nothing remarkable. Unless offered as a gift, I would not make a point of partaking of this beverage again.

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Pitch blackness, still motor oil with a decent tannish head. Smell is rich and fairly deep. Some sweet scents of chocolate and oats paired with a roast scent. Taste is alright, though not very well balanced from my experience. Sweet and roast flavors along with a mild hop presence struggle for balance and never really get there. Mouthfeel is pretty enormous. Almost too thick, like I'm drinking something similar to the consistency of melted chocolate syrup. Just a bit overwhelming to enjoy much. Another big dark brew from Southern Tier that doesn't quite live up to its name for me. Maybe Jahva will prove otherwise?

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Was not generating any head so I poured it straight down the glass to produce some. Pours black, with a dark brown, oily looking head the was gone in a mini second.

Aroma: Alcohol,licorice, dark chocolate,
mollasses and raisens. SWEET!

Taste: Immediately pick up the alcohol, carmalized raisens. Too much alcohol in the taste.

mouthfeel:Thick on the tongue, sticky, sweet, almost chewy.

Drinkability: Not a refresher, not the beer to have "when your having more than one".
This was a Christmas gift from my niece and husband. I typically like Oatmeal Stouts but this was a-typical.

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

Twenty-two ounce brown bottle - brewed fall 2007.

Intensely black. A wisp of beige foam forms and quickly disappears. No lace whatsoever.

Alcohol is overpowering in the nose - almost burning. Some hints of dried fruit sneak past as well.

Notes of black currant, and hints of coffee. Oh, that is hot. Thick and rich on the palette with very relaxed carbonation. Too damn hot - the alcohol is just too pronounced.

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

into a tulip wine glass. (sidenote: the beer menu and the Southern Tier website record a 9.6% ABV)

The pour. HOLY SHlT. Am I ready for this?!?! Black as satan himself (with ruby traces when held to light), an average, creamy and medium brown head that's gone quickly.

The aroma. A little tamer. DAMN STRAIGHT I'm ready for this!! Molasses, chocolate and caramel toasted malts. Bit of baked cookie. I can't wait.

The taste. WHAT HAPPENED?? Or in this case, what DIDN'T happen in this grab bag of flavors. Everything that the nose picked up plus hop heavy, resiny, musty/earthy/doughy yeast, oats, alcohol heavy, smoke, tar, charcoal, anise and sour milk.

Pleasant mouthfeel but not very drinkable.

My experience went downhill after the aroma. I am very disappointed in this VERY bitter Imperial Stout.

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter...

A - Roasted mocha body with some residual mahogany hues, minimal beige head, no lacing, kind of disappointing though we are pushing 10% ABV..

S - Ground oats, bitter dark chocolate notes, coffee, caramel malts with some faint toffee notes. The lasting impression is alcohol on this, not too appealing in my opinion. What starts out with a beautiful bouquet of flavors I look for in an oatmeal stout, end rather unfortunately.

T - Whoa, this is sweet. Cloying sweetness and warming bourbon coat the palate. Thankfully, it's not enough to prevent the other great flavors this has coming through: hot spice oatmeal, dry grains, and a hint of coffee beans. No chocolate or anything more diverse here, for me.

M - Not bad, a bit higher on the carbonation than I'd like, but this bottle is rather fresh and would probably mellow with some age on it. The mouth feel is thick enough without going overboard.

D - I couldn't get through the bottle. This is definitely one to sip and split, which seems to be the case with a lot of the Blackwater Series beers from Southern Tier... The sweetness and alcohol esters overtook my palate and seemed to burn it out.

It's a nice beer, but probably only one glass nice. I wouldn't buy this one again, instead I'd go for the Choklat which has an even higher ABV and seems to mask the alcohol better than this. Both are sweet, but the Choklat is more tasty, though it is a chocolate vs. oatmeal stout. Take it for what it's worth.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from the bomber that I bought at SAVE-ON Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor for $8.99 last week into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. No "best by" date observed by me. 11.0% ABV written on the label.

A Dark dark body that lets no light through. Head was not easy to get (had to pour vigorously) and when it did come it was less than 1 cm high and a medium brown. Reasonable, trace lacing on the glass. 3.5

S Little to no smell. Repeated sniffs reveal some dark roast malt and the slightest oat, grain smell. True to style but not amazing or remarkable. 3.0

T Dark roast malt, some oat grains but a kick of alcohol that is a bit too obvious for my liking. This remains a tasty beer but could have been so much better in my opinion. 3.5

M More thin that I thought it would be but the dark roast malt and the kick of alcohol beef up the feel. It lacks a nice thick body that I like in the style but also it lacks any stickiness that I also enjoy out of this style. 3.0

D Only fair due to the rather obvious alcohol, the bigness of the dark roast malt and the less than desirable thin feel of the beer. 3.0

Notes: There are better examples of the style out there. Southern Tier remains a good brewery as my recent rating of Unearthly and more remotely Pumking will atest.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

Got of bottle of this from the Cloverleaf Tavern.

A: Pours a dark brown body with a small, dark tan head with pretty minimal retention adn very limited lacing.

S: Smelled of a bittersweet, chocolate, roasted note with some alcoholic undertones noted.

T: A pretty, nice, robust, roasted taste but the alcohol is not very well hidden as it also makes itself evident in the taste. The aftertaste is some more alcohol and roasted notes and a kind of hoppy, earthy bitterness also makes itself evident, which is most likely the oats.

M: A very smooth and a pretty thick mouthfeel. A nice mouthfeel for an Imperial Stout.

D: A decent drinkability for this style of beer, but recommended for the cooler months. You will feel the higher than normal ABV after a little bit, so it can be quite warming. However, if approached accordingly, you should be able to handle this one and be fine.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

09/26/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Part of a flight which included So. Tier Creme Brulee, Java Head, Imperial OAT & Founders Brkfst Stout. Started w/the OAT. Nice but compared to the rest it's a bit lacking.

I should give it another chance.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

Served with a nice fine, foamy, thick, creamy, tan head and some lace. Color is an opaque dark brownish black. Aroma is malty, toffee, chocolate, molasses, and dark ripe fruit. Flavor's about the same. The molasses and dark ripe fruits stand out, to the beer's detriment, I feel. Body is decent and so is carbonation. Finish is long and has a flavor with a boozy warmth.

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company