1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 12-17-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,227 | Reviews: 665 | Show All Ratings:
acsprouse

South Carolina

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

A -very black with very little tan/khaki head

S-dark chocolate, licorice.. oats, molasses.. coffee

T- dark chocolate yet light and creamy..licorice.. oats.. coffee notes.. strong and bold

M- medium thick body, not very carbonated, initial sweetness.. slightly bitter finnish.. hard to telk this one is 11% abv

O- a pleasant stout, must have.. gotta try! i recommend this beer!

01-27-2013 08:07:44 | More by acsprouse
Eeroomnhoj

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Today is St. Patrick's Day and I am drinking my last Christmas Beer (don't worry there were only three). I have been putting this one off because it looked so heavy I had to wait for a special occasion.
This is a heavy heavy beer, but enjoyable. The beer poured almost black and the head was thin and brown but quickly dissipated. Definitely a creamy beer.

Now that I am almost finished with it I can say I like this one and will have it again. Not something to drink after mowing the lawn, but definitely a late winter beer!!

03-18-2013 02:36:41 | More by Eeroomnhoj
BlastTyrant

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Draft at MacGregor’s in Henrietta, NY 4/22/2005. Aroma is sweet and malty, with caramel, coffee, vanilla, and oak. The flavor does not disappoint. Coffee, chocolate, oak, and vanilla. Sweet but not cloying, probably due to a pretty significant hops flavor. No one element dominated, nicely balanced. Huge bodied. Should be savored, but I drank my first so fast I had to order a second. They REALLY need to bottle this stuff. Outstanding.

09-08-2005 02:11:24 | More by BlastTyrant
mcmidc

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Beautiful inch thick head on the pour from this imperial stout, and the was pour very thick (what's better?) and left a nice lacey tan head after it settled. Smell was very good, a ton of aromas with chocolate and carmel dominating. Taste was amazing, a lot of things going on in my mouth. Very full bodied with dark chocolately malt taste with a hint of molasses. Minor tones of alcohol in the backround. This stout finished clean and I thought I could sense some hoppy undertones at the end, but now that I'm halfway done with a pint I'm not tasting it anymore. This is everything I think an imperial stout should be. Exceptional beer and I recommend it and will definetely drink again. I can't wait.

10-22-2007 23:31:13 | More by mcmidc
brewskier

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Hard pour from 22oz bottle into a snifter yields a frothy medium brown foam that dissipates surprisingly rapidly. The amount of alcohol in this beer probably is the reason for the lack head and lacing. Nearly opaque extremely dark beer shows a brown colour around the edges only when held right next to a bright light.

Musky grain aroma smells like the inside of a silo. Very roasty. A whiff of the 11% alcohol is definitely present, as are slight carob and coffee hints.

Initial impression is a blast of heavily roasted malt, but the flavor also demonstrates the considerable alcohol presence, with a tangy ethanol bite cutting through the wagonload of malt that is this hearty stout. This is not grandpa's bowl of oatmeal. Cuts right through the smoked mozzerella and salty/tangy hard Spanish goat cheeses I am drinking it with, and those food flavors bring out the underlying bittersweetness of the beer, of molasses and very dark chocolate. Also brings to mind charred hazelnuts.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth, with little carbonation and a thick consistency, maybe a tiny bit sticky.

Drinkability is low, however, due to the heaviness and very high alcohol percentage.

12-25-2009 23:03:44 | More by brewskier
dudelove7485

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Opaque, dark chocolate (near black) in color with a thin, khaki head that leaves a caviar-bubbled ring around the perimeter of the glass. Pleasant coffee/roasted malt aroma. The taste is sweet and malty, chocolaty, bready, smoky (almost to the point of burnt) and fruity (maybe Raisinettes?). The syrupy, full body gives way to a slightly bitter finish which warms the palate and balances the beer nicely. I liked this oatmeal stout more than a few of the local breweries’ oaty offerings (particularly Brown’s Oatmeal Stout) which used to be my standbys for cold weather drinking. As to be noted with a number of the Southern Tier Imperial series, a 650ml bomber is best enjoyed split with a buddy.

For more beer reviews, music, movies, books and more check out my website at www.selfhatinghipster.com

03-08-2012 01:43:13 | More by dudelove7485
pnkHoody

British Columbia (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

This wins. Pours black as night, but if you put it to the light it has an oakwood colour. Thick but compact head that is immovable, aside from the gloopy slug trails it leaves on the glass. My first taste impression is of turpentine. Three sips in and the flavour floodgates open. Star of anise, cardamon and coal dust. The stout is spicy and exotic tasting, with a dirty funk of discordant sourness that revives you. 3/4 through the bottle and the booze is kicking my arse. Before it drags me under the table, I have to tell you that I have never had a beer with such a velvety, gorgeous mouth texture. Honey coated oil.

An unfortunate afflication of many imperial stouts -- rating-wise -- although not all, is that drinkability is diminished by their sheer power and weight. My 3.5 is awarded as a relative score in the imperial stout world, which means I could probably cope with two on the trot, but Oaties render me even more lethargic than regular RIS, and this is no exception. Goodnight.

BTW mine clearly says 11% ABV.

02-24-2010 07:05:59 | More by pnkHoody
JordanChabot

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

The pour is absolutely black with a thin caramel head. The smell is of rich dark chocolate, hickory, and a small hint of dark fruit at the end.
Now to taste. Rich, dry chocolate covers the palate, followed by smoky burnt malt, with a similar bite to scotch ales. If you can stay with me, the mouth feel is very ashy, and has some pleasant bitterness. The alcohol sticks around, but isn't anything too powerful. Sum it up with dried fruit and an unbelievable light clean finish and you have yourself one of the best new imperial stouts I've had the pleasure of consuming. Seems the southern tier is getting raised higher and higher.

01-28-2009 02:12:23 | More by JordanChabot
bfflo

2.42/5  rDev -41%

Pours pitch purple-black, with a typical looking head which had to be forced a little. Head falls fast, although it left a few thick scraps of lacing. Smell is extremely sweet, bready, and busy, with chocolate, ash, butterscotch, and a bevy of strong dark fruit notes. Although there's a lot going on, the overall bouquet isn't proving especially pleasant, just sort of weird.

Taste is also very fruity and sweet, downright candy-ish for a stout, in fact; but with some noticeable alcohol bite at the end, which clashes a bit with the cloying upfront sweetness. Syrupy mouthfeel. This is certainly flavorful enough, with a lot going on, but it's way too sugary tasting for my liking; I'm getting sick of it fast as I drink. If you're seeking a super-sweet, syrupy, yet very alcoholic-tasting stout, this one is for you. If that sounds sort of gross, well ... it is. It's complex enough to warrant a taste -- the complexity leaves me feeling open to trying other beers from this brewer -- so if it is a failure, it's at least an ambitious failure. But I can't recommend this particular beer very highly in and of itself. C+ or so, though BA's system scores it out even lower.

12-30-2010 10:34:01 | More by bfflo
Kvlterbm

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

22oz. bomber to snifter.

A: Pours black with about half a finger of brown, milk chocolate colored head. Some nice lacing, and a lot of alcohol sticking to the side of the glass.

S: Dark roasted malt, some sweetness, and quite a bit of booziness. Not bad at all, but the booziness is a bit strong.

T: Big roasted flavor up front, followed by sweetness. The sweetness works well with the coffee and chocolate flavors, then fades to leave coffee lingering on the palate. Hints of vanilla and oat as well.

M: They nailed the mouthfeel on this. Moderate carbonation, very creamy and smooth.

D: A sipper to be sure. The alcohol isn't as apparent in the taste as it was in the nose, but it's definitely there. A good bit of warming in the throat as you drink, but not at all an overpowering booziness. The flavor has a good bit of sweetness and at 10% ABV, you'll want to take your time with this.

02-10-2011 04:34:42 | More by Kvlterbm
EvoRich

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm pretty new to the craft beer world. So as I was grabbing some Creme Brulee out of the cooler at my local pub, I also saw something called "oat". Cool, I've had some oatmeal stouts I've liked. And Southern Tier makes some other fantastic stuff, lets give this a try.... Bottle date is 9-19-2012. So I'm assuming this stuff is good for a few years.

Look: Not much head, may be due to it's 11% ABV. The little head you do get qucikly disappears and you're left with a very dark liquid. A little brownish red around the edges. Takes some aggressive swirling to make a head reappear only to leave as soon as it gets there.

Smell: Oats, alcohol, coffee, chocolate. Very "imperial stout" - ish. Maybe because it is one. Very sweet aroma.

Taste: I don't get much oatmeal taste. The first thing I notice is the alcohol, with an aftertaste of mainly coffee, but a little bit of hops. I really like the beer due to it's coffee aftertaste and the alcohol being up front. It has a very sweet overall taste to it, and the only way I can describe it is that it tastes like a good imperial stout.

Feel: Creamy, full bodied for sure. One of the thicker, creamier beers I've had.

Overall: I've heard talk that this beer is going to be retired. And that's a shame. I hope this isn't true. It, along with Creme Brulee, are some of my favorites from the Blackwater Series. I have yet to try Mokah which I'm looking forward to. But "oat" is great. Of all the oatmeal stouts I've had, it's number 1.

04-11-2014 00:13:22 | More by EvoRich
tbart428

Maine

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

A:Black in color with khaki colored head with a nice 2 inch head. This beer is the quintessential RIS in appearance. Great looking beer.
S: The Smell on this beer is of burnt coffee, dark chocolate, molasses/brown sugar with booze.
T: The taste is of roasted malts followed by a roasted burnt coffee flavor that goes to a bitter chocolate flavor and finishes off with alcohol harshness.
M: The beer is thick and silky smooth until the end where the alcohol comes out from hiding and bites you in the back of the tongue.
D: this beer is a sipper and unfortunately no one is here to share this one with so I am feeling pretty intoxicated right now (maybe being a sociopath with no friends who is single is not all that bad after all)
would drink again

11-11-2010 04:53:09 | More by tbart428
SAS

Idaho

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Southern Tier 22 Enjoyed out of my Delirium Tulip with my bro.

First off I would like throw a big thanks to ahatcher78 great trader that didn't shy away from me trying to score a sexual chocolate with very little trading history! Thanks again I look forward to future trades... anyhow sitting around listening to prodigy...First time I've had this one..

Appearance: Pours out like used motor oil from a 65 mustang that burns oil! Good head, about a finger or so. Honestly it just looks pretty

Aroma: Fantastic! Big roasted malt... chocolate... black licorice.

Flavor: Perfect Balance between 11% alcohol and malt! Big and bold malty up front with a nice alcohol warmth. Chocolaty oatmeal is there but it almost over shadowed by espresso notes. This one has finishes out with nice lingering licorice.

Mouth Feel: Coats the tongue with a variety of flavors. Perfect balance for a high alcohol beer.

Drink ability: I would like a case or two of this one just to sit on and have one every now and then on rainy day. Great Beer! Wish I lived back east right now..

Again big thanks to Andrew! I really appreciate it.

03-24-2008 20:31:13 | More by SAS
WEBBEER

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: dark black in color with a thin khaki head. Thin lacing disipates during the drink.

Smell: aroma is of sweet roasted malts, bitter chocolate, wood, and some coffee.

Taste: the flavor is roasted malts, some mild espresso, chocolate, and some sweet spice.

Mouthfeel: Thick viscousness in body. Creamy and smooth at the start with minimal carbonation as per Imperial. Finish is smooth with sweet roasted tones lasting shortly on the tongue after swallowing.

Drinkability: My favorite local oatmeal stout so far. As the label states this 650ml. bottle is a meal in itself

03-31-2012 20:42:17 | More by WEBBEER
padan7

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

apperance is it really dark? yep. The way a oatmeal stoudt ris should be. Agressive pour yields about a 2 inch head. It quickly settles back.

smell is happening. I catch coffee and chocolate maybe some fruits as well

taste the coffee really comes through. The booze & the bitter are at the end. Is it yummy? Why yes! Is it boozy? Why yes!

mouthfeel is slightly oily but very nice.

drinkability is dangerous. I could drink a bomber myself but that could get ugly. Without question a beer to drink and stay home.

Overall this is an agressive beer that is not for the prissy. If you like tasty beers that have high octane then rock on.

I was drinking my beer as I wrote the review. My beer is done. Now I am sad.

11-14-2008 01:55:06 | More by padan7
Benjiehorn

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

A fantastic beer from Southern Tier. The Imperial Oat pours very dark with little white head, and very nice lacing on the glass. (Poured into a brandy snifter.) The aroma was heavy on chocolate and coffee, with hints of vanilla, caramel and oatmeal. The flavors work your way through the palate with dark fruits, oatmeal, coffee, chocolate, and a tinge of sweetness. Southern Tier does a great job with their seasonal bottles and this is one that I think goes above and beyond the expectations. Great beer!

04-07-2009 21:04:48 | More by Benjiehorn
dlcoblen

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Served from a growler. (Charleston Beer Exchange)

A: Very dark, basically black with a light brown head that dissipates quickly.

S: Smells sweet, like chocolate I did not find the aroma too complex.

M: Slightly viscous and creamy its just what to expect while drinking an imperial stout.

T: Amazing! This has to be one of my favorite stouts. It starts with sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, slight coffee taste and perhaps a touch of caramel. With being 11% abv, they did a good job with masking the alcohol, you can tell its there but just a hint on the back end. Also the oats adds its own dimension, I'd say it contribute mostly to the creaminess to this brew.

Overall: I gave it a 5 mostly due to the fact that since having the beer I believe this is how stouts should be made in the past I have had (hoppier stouts) while they are good too, this Southern Tier Oat Stout changes the perspective. The chocolate and creamy/sweetness made for a real treat I will be buying this again.

Serving type: growler

02-23-2013 12:57:04 | More by dlcoblen
MuddyMcGinny

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

22oz. bomber into English nonic

Just like the label states... midnite black with hints of crimson around the crown. Half finger head took a bit to come together and then dissipated quickly with not much lacing at all. Malty, sweet and dark fruity nose. Alchohol is present on first taste but then gives way to the smoke of roasted barley, oats, caramel and chocolate with just enough hops to spice it up a bit. Feelin' some spice o' black licorice as well. 11% ABV makes this Imperial a definite top session brew... one bomber is good enough for this here nugget!!

01-29-2011 02:20:07 | More by MuddyMcGinny
LeeMarvin

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

I found this unexpected gem tucked away in a dusty corner of a townie package store. I love the Southern Tier stuff, and saved it for the New Year's Eve Twilight Zone marathon.

I let the bottle sit for a few minutes before opening as the label says to serve at 48 degrees. I used my Sam Adams glass for lack of the suggested glassware indicated on the bottle.

Poured rich and thick, with little head. Smell of dark essences, malts, booze. Each mouthful immerses the tongue in darkness, with tight carbonation interspersed with chocolate, rich sweets and caramel.

It’s a hearty brew, satisfying like a fine desert, and it masks the alcohol well. I don’t think I could drink two of these filling brews in a row, but every sip was better than the last. Another killer beer from Southern Tier.

01-02-2008 19:05:34 | More by LeeMarvin
pfknapp

4.1/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a beautiful jet black, it looks super viscous like old motor oil. Almost no head at all, with the oatmeal I would have thought there would be at least some head retention. The beer smells absolutely beautiful. Like bittersweet chocolate and espresso, with some caramel and molasses notes. You get a hint of the alcohol, but not too much it just lets you know it is there. This beer smells really fantastic. Taste is a lot of the same. It tastes like black, whatever that means. Basically like dark dark chocolate, espresso, molasses and a little bit of dried fig or prune flavors. The beer is very sweet, but there is a noticeable bitterness in the background. I would have preferred it to be a bit less sweet, it was bordering on cloying. Mouthfeel was viscous. You could feeel it coat you palate as it swirled around, almost like cough syrup. The drinkability suffered a bit do to the extreme sweetness. However, it was still an extremely enjoyable experience. Overall a wonderful beer.

02-14-2008 13:09:44 | More by pfknapp
JeremyK

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a wide mouthed chalice. Very little head that disipates immediately. This beer has a restrained aroma of a roasted chocolat liquor nose. Once the beer hits the mouth an explosion of flavor is released. Roasted malt, coffee, burnt toffee, and burnt wood flavors envelop the palate. a very silky textured mouthfeel with a long lingering finish with a drawn out bitterness and roasted malt. Alcohol is very well masked. Fully enjoyed this beer.

09-29-2008 22:51:36 | More by JeremyK
brianh78

Washington

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Randomly found this beer on tap while on a business trip in southern New Jersey, so I had to give it a shot...so here goes...

Appearance: very very dark brown to jet black, with a creamy and slightly caramel colored head which was about a finger thick...left lots of pretty lacing on the glass

Smell: malty sweet; vanilla, caramel, a hint of chocolate and cooked oat overtones

Taste: sweet; malty; caramel and slight vanilla, hint of chocolate/coffee/toffee; light oat flavor which was a bit toasty in the back

Mouthfeel: velvety thick, slightly coating; carbonation in the first sip, but calms down quickly and settles to a nice, slick feel

Drinkability: holy high alcohol content, Batman! 11%? where is it? I didn't taste it at all. This beer is, like many other oatmeal stouts, quite filling. I wouldn't drink more than two in a sitting...but it is quite tasty!

11-04-2009 03:54:47 | More by brianh78
Symptomu

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer is dessert. It pours like molasses and is nearly as dark. Head is impressive and exceptionally dark as well. This is thick and sweet. If this was a blind taste test I would peg this as a chocolate stout. That is the dominant flavor and smell. Dark dark cocoa with a hint of coffee and molasses. You do get a sort of thick oatmeal taste halfway in however. The mouthfeel is good at first but can get a bit sticky. Drinkability is great but only for about 6oz tops. Delicious but weighty.

01-18-2011 00:20:57 | More by Symptomu
sluhdrum07

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

drinking straight from the bottle

smell: chocolate, sweetness, like i think the richest chocolate milk and brandy mix might smell, and carmel too

taste: sweetly bitter, swirling it around my mouth leads the flavors into my nasal cavity...mmm, and it stays for a while

mouthfeel: feels like liquid chocolate candy on my tongue.

drinkability: i could drink this so fast i have to watch myself. i don't know the availability of this beer, but i hope it is yearlong because i can see drinking this easily in the summer as dark beers go. 11%?? sure goes down smooth

02-19-2009 03:19:29 | More by sluhdrum07
funkymuppet

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. This is a huge hit for me: as far as my palate goes this hits exactly the right mix for this style - it's sumptuous to drink, has a fantastic bitter chocolate middle taste and a lovely burnt long-lasting aftertaste. The alcohol warmth comes in at the end - very well apportioned. It's really full on the mouthfeel - and it doesn't hit you as overly sugary - a preference for me.
Great stuff - got it in NJ for $10 650ml - I will get a case plus of this no problem at all.
Let third of the bottle sit in the fridge overnight - not much changed, and still a real pleasure to drink.
Way to go southern tier.

04-24-2011 21:54:03 | More by funkymuppet