Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 12-17-2004

Ratings: 1,349 | Reviews: 679
3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

Purchased directly from the Southern Tier Brewery. Served in a Tervis tumbler.

Appearance: Dark/black, little head with a little lacing.

Smell: molasses, maybe some oats, I really don't know. Definitely some alcohol

Taste:I really wasn't too impressed. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great. Some Molasses, maybe some chocolate.

Mouthfeel: This the worst part. There is no body, no freshness. I would say thick with maybe a little too much carbonation. Of all of the Southern Tier 11% beers (there are plenty), this was the worst for mouthfeel. Just really wasn't my thing. The Choklat was much better.

Overall: I'd drink it if somebody had it. Wouldn't buy it again if there were other Southern Tiers available.

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was a Southern Tier night. Having just almost finished a bottle of Cuvee Series 1 (poured out the last part of the bottle ... too sweet), I decided to give them another try. I like sweet, but it cannot be the dominant characteristic. This beer is certainly better. Present are some roasted, burnt qualities which provide a much more pleasant and interesting taste sensation.

However, I'm left with the feeling that I just ate some burnt cotton candy. If droplets of the beer dropped on the ground the ants would swarm. There's also a lack of carbonation which detracts from the overall experience.

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 to tulip. Date indecipherable.

A - Totally opaque black. Light tan decent looking head that lasts a few minutes. Minor lacing.

S - While still foaming, it's a good bit more chocolatey than I'm used to or want in an oatmeal stout. A little metallic. Nicer later though. Booze masquerades as something vaguely floral until you later realize what it is.

T - A noticeable sour metallic tang jumbled up with bitter ash/char malt flavors, mild coffee, restrained sweetness, and naked booze. Just as with their Choklat, the parts just don't come together well, though by the end of the bomber I'm lit up and it's harder to tell and seems more together. Initially though, rather than complexity, I got discordance. It's kind of like a soup not left to simmer nearly long enough. The booze and the sour metallic thing are the parts that don't play well with the others. It's a 10.8 imperial, so you expect more, but plenty of others hide it a lot better than this. Choklat wast the same strength and I didn't get the booze in that one, for example.

M - Thick in a way I really like, yet with a little sting on the tongue.

O - The only way I'd get this again would be to see if aging it for a year would do anything to mellow out that booze and bring everything together more cohesively. So I'll assign myself that project. The bigness and thickness of the beer make me want to rate it higher, but the overall execution makes me rate it lower.

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%

A very mild head that dies quickly. Nearly black in color where no light can shine through.

Cocoa with cream aroma

Extreme doesn't begin to describe this beer. Strong black patent malt bitterness (similar to coffee grounds). After the aroma, I didn't expect this much flavor. Brandy-like warmth from the alcohol, particularly in the swallow.

Could this be too much of a good thing? I certainly could not drink this regularly.

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Very dark, but lacks the type of head I would expect from an oatmeal stout. The head dissipated almost immediately. Disappointing.

S: Smells like an oatmeal stout. Malty, with the slight bitterness of oats.

T: Good taste . Malty with a good showing of the oats. Can taste the black patent - but not too much. No strong alcohol taste. No strong hops taste.

M: Thick! Long aftertaste.

D: Small servings only!

I live on the west coast, so I had a hard time finding this and it was costly. I probably wouldn't seek it out here, but when I go back east I will.

Bomber shared at DLD.

Pours pretty much black, and somewhat thick, with a small tannish head sitting on top.

Aroma is very nice, roasty and chocolatey with molasses and caramel malts. Sweetness is evident.

On the flavor, Southern Tier's usual underattenuation is present, but besides that it's a very nice imperial oatmeal stout. Roasted and caramel malts, brown sugar, toffee, dark chocolate, and molasses.

Smooth mouthfeel from the oats, with fairly full body and light carbonation. A little syrupy.

A very good stout overall, one I wouldn't mind revisiting. ABV is well-hidden, and it's not undrinkable despite the sweetness.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

This one needed a little more complexity for me to be great. It essentially was exactly like it advertises itself to be and that is a decent oatmeal stout but no more and no less. I will say that the high alcohol was rather well hidden so it might be possible to get pretty lit up on this beer.

When I tasted this beer, I got chocolate, roastiness and oatmeal. I was waiting for something else to kick in (booziness, fruits, something) but the taste was pretty much surface deep. I felt like I have tasted this beer 10 times before in various other chocolate and/or oatmeal stouts.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Tasted at Capones beer event from tap into a small sample glass.

A: A dark almost black thick liquid with a thick little head.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and malty sweetness. I can also smell the alcohol in this monster.

T: Dark flavors of coffee, chocolate, malt with some burnt flavors mixing in. Some creamy sweetness meets your lips with some very slight hoppy bitterness, very slight. For some reason I was getting a smoky finish on this beer, but not unenjoyable.

M: Medium to heavy mouthfeel with quite a bit of alcohol burn to it. Very thick and oily with the alcohol lingering on the finish.

D: Low. I had had enough after the one sample glass. To me, this Imp Oat Stout was just too much at 12.5%. I bet this beer with some age on it would be much better.

Overall I'm glad I tried it, but it is not a stout I would reach for in a pack of other stouts. I respect what they did with this beer, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Dark black/tan, 1/2 tan creamy head that lasted quite awhile.

Smell - Barley, sugars, hops, chocolate, malts, coffee, some alcohol and spices.

Taste - Srong sweet malts mixed with coffee and chocolate. Has a bold and very strong mocha/expresso coffee flavor. Very, very sweet. Hops are lighty present. Theres a dark fruit flavor , like a plum, raison mixed in there. Oats add a yeasty, pungent flavor.

Mouthfeel - Its thick, sweet and very strong on the mouth. Palette is worked over, mouth is covered with malts, and aftertaste is very coffee influenced. Better eat something after this one.

Overall - A bit much. Sweet and very coffee flavored. This 22oz is more then enough. Too much sweetness and high alcohol make this a occasional drink. Another sweet bomb from southern tier. Not bad, not great.

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%

a -- matte black, pours with 3 fingers of brown head, very fine bubbles that slowly fade and cling to the sides of the glass

s - bright hops, dark chocolate

t -- dark malts, creamy, pleasent hop bitterness and roast from the malts blend together well

m -- big, thick

d -- bomber size is good couldn't drink too many of them though

Overall --I like it the oats cover up almost all of the alcohol sting -- not lacking, good beer here

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%

22 ounce bottle acquired in a trade about a year ago, split with some friends on Friday, reviewed from notes, poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter

A-Color was a very dark brown that was on the verge of being black, 3/4 inch soapy tan head that did not last long, some retention, minimal lacing at the top
S-Whole grains, oatmeal flakes, light coffee, earthiness, mild sweetness, caramel, Columbus hops that were a little spicy, molasses, black licorice, and some soft chocolate
T-Taste starts off with oats and chewy cereal, sweet malt makes up the middle, mild cocoa and spicy hoppiness make up the finish, gets sweeter as it warms but that chewy grain taste never goes away, this is like a meal in a glass for that reason, malts are not too roasty like other big stouts but they add a nice subtle sweet flavor to work through some of the chewy accents but fail to balance those out
M-Thick and full body, rich, slick, creamy, and roasted moouthfeel, sometimes even bitter, carbonation is on the lighter side, taste lingers quite a bit
D-Alcohol was hidden well, but this stuff was flat out filling, it was like eating a bowl of oatmeal while drinking this heavy, could not get close to finishing this bomber alone

My bottle actually said 11% ABV, this is part of Southern Tier's Blackwater Series, this is a big beer that provides a good bang for its buck, not as good as Choklat in my opinion but one of this brewery's better beers and stouts for that matter, would like to drink again some time down the road, recommended

3.66/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Pours pitch black with a finger of lovely brown head. Good head retention.

S - Dark roasted malts and a hint of dark fruit. Oat and maybe a touch of chocolate.

T - Similar to the nose. Roasted malt, oat, and a tiny tiny bit of booze. The presence of dark fruit was not something I was expecting in this beer, and I'm not so sure I like it here. No hop presence to speak of.

M - Thick and creamy, like an imperial stout should be. Excellent example of the style. Carbonation is a bit weak.

D - This beer is very very substantial. It is thick and heavy and very filling. That said it is rather tasty and overall of good drinability.

3.67/5  rDev -10.5%

Thanks to reginaldo for the opportunity to try this beer. Poured into an imperial pint glass. Brewed Fall 2008.

A: Deep, rich, brown color. Not quite black. About a half finger of creamy brown head appears, then fades to a thin rim.

A: Very earthy. Oats, barley, grass, and wheat. I also get dried cherry, raisin, and fig.

T: Again, very earthy. Dried fruit and roasted malt. Some grassy hops as well. But the grains are what stand out in this one. Alcohol is hidden until the very end. Oat finishes unexpectedly dry.

M: Heavy body. The oats give it a velvety texture, but the unusually high amount of carbonation give it a little bite on the back side.

D: A little on the low side for me, the 11% ABV combined with the dryness of the brew really limit it on the drinkability. Overall, a good beer, just not great for the style. Skal.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

22oz bottle courtesy of vwcraig. Bottle says this was brewed in fall of 2007. It smells like it has held up well, sweet stout notes and a little alcohol. The flavor is some chocolate, more stout, no roast or oat but a good beer nonetheless. The only thing I don;t care for is the high ABV, I prefer beers to be under 10%

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

I've been quite impressed with Southern Tier, so I was happy to see an Imperial Oatmeal Stout from them.

This beer pours a jet black color w/ a minimal off white head. There is a ruby-brown hue present. I get some chocolaty sweetness in the aroma, unfortunately this is followed up by a strong alcoholic aroma. Not what I like to see in my imperial stouts. The flavor is better than the smell. I get a strong dark chocolate flavor with some hints of roasted coffee. There is definite malty sweetness in this beer. The beer finishes w/ a strong bitterness. It compliments the sweetness well. I am a sucker for the mouthfeel of an oatmeal stout. This one does not let you down. Great chewy thick mouthfeel overall.

I really solid imperial stout overall. The oats make it have that pleasant mouthfeel as well. It isn't the best imperial stout I've had by far, but its pretty good. I'd probably buy it once again, but there are others I'd pick up first.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

This beer is very much along the same lines as the choklat except with out the dark chocolate component. This beer is very dark and had very little foam when poured into a pint glass. Wouldn't say that the lack of CO2 was a problem as it accented the really thick viscosity of the beer.

The beer had some interesting sugary smells coming out of it including some dark fruits as well as a considerable alcohol aroma. The alcohol part of the smell is the reason I didn't give it a higher rating. Also included in the nose were coffee and roasted malts.

The flavor had all the same components but in a different balance. The coffee was strong, the roasted flavor was strong, and the alcohol was a bit more manageable. Things not noticeable in the aroma but present in the taste: oatmeal (or oats or what ever) which gave it a smooth wheaty texture, and hops (what the hell?). Pretty interesting but I almost think that the wheatiness took away from the overall texture of the beer.

Quite smooth with a lot of interesting things going on but that particular combination doesn't agree with my palate quite as well as the choklat does.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottle is from batch 2008.

Jet black color with a one finger tan head. Small amount of lace.

Cola dominates the nose with some light chocolate and coffee as well. Literally smells like a glass of cola.

I'm guessing that since this isn't fresh, the flavor has changed a bit. Deep roasted malt and coffee make up the majority of the taste. A bit of dark chocolate causes a slight bitterness as well. Really lacks in complexity for an Imperial Stout.

Full bodied, syrupy and smooth. Small amount of soft carbonation. Finish is extremely dry.

Pretty easy drinking. Not as heavy as some double stouts. Great coffee flavor if your into that. Just lacks in depth and complexity for the style. Maybe it's just the age on it. Nicely priced though compared to others in the style.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours thick brown yet clear, despite the fact that there's probably a ton of oats in this guy. A warm inviting coca colored head dissipates quickly.

Aromas are of deep-dark malts, but an English dryness can also be appreciated if that makes senses. Still though, there are some chocolates, brown sugars and brown toast notes.

Flavor profile is mainly thick/chewy oats, yet a great dry/bready/a biscuit quality. The alcohol is fairly noticeable in the finish, I wonder if this would age well, too late to find out now.

Creamy mouthfeel is offset by the almost woodsy/dry hop finish.

It's not often you find an Imperial Oatmeal Stout, but I'm happy to see it. I like the heartiness and depth of the malt, but would like to see more oatmeal creaminess in lieu of the hop bitterness.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Hard pour from 22oz bottle into a snifter yields a frothy medium brown foam that dissipates surprisingly rapidly. The amount of alcohol in this beer probably is the reason for the lack head and lacing. Nearly opaque extremely dark beer shows a brown colour around the edges only when held right next to a bright light.

Musky grain aroma smells like the inside of a silo. Very roasty. A whiff of the 11% alcohol is definitely present, as are slight carob and coffee hints.

Initial impression is a blast of heavily roasted malt, but the flavor also demonstrates the considerable alcohol presence, with a tangy ethanol bite cutting through the wagonload of malt that is this hearty stout. This is not grandpa's bowl of oatmeal. Cuts right through the smoked mozzerella and salty/tangy hard Spanish goat cheeses I am drinking it with, and those food flavors bring out the underlying bittersweetness of the beer, of molasses and very dark chocolate. Also brings to mind charred hazelnuts.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth, with little carbonation and a thick consistency, maybe a tiny bit sticky.

Drinkability is low, however, due to the heaviness and very high alcohol percentage.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black as hell. Very dark. Almost zero head, even with a vigorous pour. Smell is a bit boozy to me, some sweetness, a bit of roasted malt, some coffee too. Not my favorite smell, alcohol is definitely there. Taste is good, but definitely not one to be had cold--too hot. Some sweet oat notes, booze, some good piney and earthy notes, a bit of chocolate. MF is thin, not creamy, way under-carbonated for me. Drinkability is ok, decent, big alcohol (says it's 11%, not 9.6%). Overall, an ok beer, give me an Iniquity or Pumking instead. Too hot, could use some age on it.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a thin and black 1-finger tan head the receeds quickly and leaves minor lacings. A husky malt smell, with seemingly roasted, toasted and some chocolate malts coming in the smell as well as some oats and coffee malts. Very smooth and sweet but a definitive dry edge is how I'd describe this beer in the short run. Roasted, coffee and dark chocolate malts are a plenty in a creamy medium body that smooths out from oat malt presence, and also tucks in some caramel/molasses and dark fruits with a slight peppery backbite thanks to minor alcohol burn. I liked this beer, but something was a little askew for me and I am not sure if I'll be buying this again - still worth trying if you haven't had it.

3.72/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy daknole. Pours a darkish brown color with a small tan head. Smells like that instant oatmeal that comes in pouches with a heap of maple powder inside. That, and booze. Flavor is roasted coffee and sweeter chocolatey notes, pretty standard. Loses the oatiness in the flavor but the body is almost chewable from it. Not really jumping out of my shoes at this one.

3.72/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: dark black in color with a thin khaki head. Thin lacing disipates during the drink.

Smell: aroma is of sweet roasted malts, bitter chocolate, wood, and some coffee.

Taste: the flavor is roasted malts, some mild espresso, chocolate, and some sweet spice.

Mouthfeel: Thick viscousness in body. Creamy and smooth at the start with minimal carbonation as per Imperial. Finish is smooth with sweet roasted tones lasting shortly on the tongue after swallowing.

Drinkability: My favorite local oatmeal stout so far. As the label states this 650ml. bottle is a meal in itself

3.73/5  rDev -9%

22 oz bomber at 48 degrees into a Stone IRS tulip.

A: It pours pitch black with a thin, light tan head that dies quickly but laces okay.

S: Wet barley, licorice, cream, nougat, chocolate, and booze. It smells like an alcoholic candy bar.

T: Sweet and sinister dark fruits, soaked barley, lactic sugar, molasses, and some roastiness peaking through.

M: The body is medium-thick with syrupy sweetness and a very sticky finish.

O: This is okay; it is too sweet and artificial tasting. It is okay with a dessert.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Very dark brown, mostly black, a beige head. The beer leaves good curtains.

This beer is smelling of roasted bread, dried fruit and dark chocolate.

The taste is very sweet, dark toast with fig marmalade, vinous notes - Madeira.

Little carbonation, a complex but smooth body.

Despite the sweetness a nice beer. Most suited as dessert. Wonder how it goes with vanilla ice-cream? Tasted at a beer sampling at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden.

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company